• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Top 10 Releases of 2023 by Full Game Revenue

yazenov

32% of 4 platforms doesn't seem terrible. We really need to move on from down playing pc sales, it's getting old. We had Sony crying about cod and it only accounts for 16% of cod market share, with your attitude that would make it what, not important to the publisher and maybe they should just focus on mobile?

"Speaking of the share of each platform for CoD, Kotick said “the bulk of players are playing on phones,” followed by PC (25%), PlayStation (15-16%), and Xbox (7-8%)."

It's admirable you ignored BG3 revenue though.

Where have I downplayed PC sales, I'm just crunching the numbers and they speak for themselves. You just have some inferiority complex it seems.

If you want to bring up BG3, a PC-centric game, I could bring up RE4 and all those console-centric games that sold well on consoles but didn't make it on that list but that's like beating a dead horse.

It's nice of you to bring up COD free-to-play versions. That breakdown is for MAU and Daily active users, not revenue. Read the link that you have posted.
  • Call of Duty has 100 million MAU and 70 million DAU (daily active users).

Since you've brought up COD, let's take the biggest game of the generation as an example as well from the Epic court leak:

Fortnite’s total revenues from March 2018 through July 2020
  • PlayStation 4 generated 46.8 percent
  • Xbox One, generated 27.5 percent.
  • The remaining 18.7 percent would have been split between Android, Nintendo Switch, and PCs.
  • iOS ranked fifth, with just 7 percent of total revenue

And Speaking of COD, where is Modern Warfare 3 on this list? Because it sold a whole lot on consoles according to the Circana and other trackers. In the UK, it is number 3 for the whole of 2023. And EA FC is ranked number one on the list but it's way down on Steam, with just 81 million in revenue. I wonder why?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Where have I downplayed PC sales, I'm just crunching the numbers and they speak for themselves. You just have some inferiority complex it seems.

If you want to bring up BG3, a PC-centric game, I could bring up RE4 and all those console-centric games that sold well on consoles but didn't make it on that list but that's like beating a dead horse.

It's nice of you to bring up COD free-to-play versions. Let's take the biggest game of the generation as an example as well from the Epic court leak:

Fortnite’s total revenues from March 2018 through July 2020
  • PlayStation 4 generated 46.8 percent
  • Xbox One, generated 27.5 percent.
  • The remaining 18.7 percent would have been split between Android, Nintendo Switch, and PCs.
  • iOS ranked fifth, with just 7 percent of total revenue

Frame By Frame What GIF by Boy Tillekens

hlm666

And Speaking of COD, where is Modern Warfare 3 on this list? Because it sold a whole lot on consoles according to the Circana and other trackers. In the UK, it is number 3 for the whole of 2023. And EA FC is ranked number one on the list but it's way down on Steam, with just 81 million in revenue. I wonder why?
lol imagine thinking a testimony under oath is wrong or a lie, and then pretending the launcher that it's had to be played on until recently just vanished and people who have had to use it for years changed.

yazenov

lol imagine thinking a testimony under oath is wrong or a lie, and then pretending the launcher that it's had to be played on until recently just vanished and people who have had to use it for years changed.

Lol, imagine ignoring all the other points I've made and pointing this out. Nice argument.

Zathalus

I know it's a rough estimate but going by the link you've posted, the average price is $49.15. So that's 7 million units from the 22 million, which is only 32% of the console sales.
No one expects PC to outsell PS5+PS4+Xbox Series+Xbox One+Switch combined.

Around 7 million probably means it is the most popular single version out of all of them.

As for your concern about COD and FC sales, for COD most of them are on Battle.net where it was exclusive for years. As for FC, EA undoubtedly has a major chunk of FC sales as well considering the EA store and EA Play Pro. While Steam is the largest store for most games, it's not the only one on PC. Blizzard, Epic, Riot, and plenty others have all/most sales on other store fronts.

Ar¢tos

The term "indie" simply means not-owned or funded by someone else. The term "indie" originates from being independent of a publisher/being self published.
By that definition FromSoftware is indie in Japan, since they self publish all their games in Japan.

yazenov

No one expects PC to outsell PS5+PS4+Xbox Series+Xbox One+Switch combined.

Around 7 million probably means it is the most popular single version out of all of them.

As for your concern about COD and FC sales, for COD most of them are on Battle.net where it was exclusive for years. As for FC, EA undoubtedly has a major chunk of FC sales as well considering the EA store and EA Play Pro. While Steam is the largest store for most games, it's not the only one on PC. Blizzard, Epic, Riot, and plenty others have all/most sales on other store fronts.

"EA Sports FC 24, Hogwarts Legacy and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 all had marketing partnerships with PlayStation, and over half of those games' sales were on Sony formats."

Actually more than half of those top 3 games are on Sony's platforms, so it's where the majority of the sales are on, from the UK 2023 chart which you could extrapolate for worldwide sales as well.

As for Hogsward legacy, no one expected the PC version to outsell the console version but I was just pointing out the sales based on the revenue charts. But some people got upset about that.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Wow, they extrapolate from Steam review numbers, that's nuts, the % can vary greatly for any number of reasons.
It's generally considered VERY reliable and they use additional correcting factors to adjust the numbers.
Most of these numbers are probably spot on and the margin of error shouldn't be larger than a few percentage points (3-4%).

Ozriel

M$FT
I think Starfield sales are underwhelming.

Assuming these charts are accurate and they sold the game at $70, the game sold around 3.3 million copies, and the bulk of the sales are on Steam, not the console according to the sales trackers. ( In the UK, two-thirds of the Starfield’s unit sales were on PC according to GSD figures) . For one of the most hyped games of the generation, and Bethesda's Skyrim in space, it's MEH as they were expecting 10 million from PS5 alone from the leaks.

Your analysis is flawed since they aren’t working with a $70 average price.

VG Insights is the source of this revenue estimate and their sales estimate for Starfield is around 4.5 million units on Steam.

They’ve computed the revenues from their sales estimates, so this is certainly conservative as it excludes revenue from the popular Ultimate edition.

The projected sales from PS5 were for lifetime sales. Including discounts and bumps from expansions etc. It still could get near that on Steam down the line.

I know it's on Gamepass but the game no doubt underdelivered in sales and failed to drive sales of the console, which declined YOY from the previous year with no big hitters.

GamePass subscriptions had a visible bump with the game’s release, and it makes no real sense to use YOY to track the impact of a single game, since that includes a whole lot more variables. The console had a visible month-on-month bump when the game released.

Zathalus

"EA Sports FC 24, Hogwarts Legacy and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 all had marketing partnerships with PlayStation, and over half of those games' sales were on Sony formats."

Actually more than half of those top 3 games are on Sony's platforms, so it's where the majority of the sales are on, from the UK 2023 chart which you could extrapolate for worldwide sales as well.

As for Hogsward legacy, no one expected the PC version to outsell the console version but I was just pointing out the sales based on the revenue charts. But some people got upset about that.
I'm not sure what your link is supposed to prove? Its UK Physical only, obviously PC won't even be a factor in physical sales.

yazenov

Your analysis is flawed since they aren’t working with a $70 average price.

VG Insights is the source of this revenue estimate and their sales estimate for Starfield is around 4.5 million units on Steam.

They’ve computed the revenues from their sales estimates, so this is certainly conservative as it excludes revenue from the popular Ultimate edition.

The projected sales from PS5 were for lifetime sales. Including discounts and bumps from expansions etc. It still could get near that on Steam down the line.

GamePass subscriptions had a visible bump with the game’s release, and it makes no real sense to use YOY to track the impact of a single game, since that includes a whole lot more variables. The console had a visible month-on-month bump when the game released.

Yeah it was a rough estimate, but my point still stands as 4.5 million copies and two thirds of sales are on the PC, which means the console sales are round 1.5 million. Still a disappointment when comparing it to Skyrim.

The Gamepass subscription bump was a temporary bump while nice, but meaningless in the long run as admitted in court that the sub growth has stalled. from the lack of any announcement from MS with regards to Gamepass numbers, their silence tells as that it is still the case.

Star field failed at boosting console sales and overall subscription numbers. It's a failure at both fronts including the under expected reviews as well.

Raven77

*pulls up Lethal Company

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

*looks like complete old-school-jank-dogshit

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

*buys it immediately

Last edited:

yazenov

I'm not sure what your link is supposed to prove? Its UK Physical only, obviously PC won't even be a factor in physical sales.
From the link

*Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via PC digital stores, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Kepler, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studio

Only games with * in the table such as Nintendo games do not have digital numbers. The remaining games on the list imclude both physical and digital.
4Nqwrel.jpg

Last edited:

Zathalus

From the link

*Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via PC digital stores, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Kepler, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studio

Only games with * in the table such as Nintendo games do not have digital numbers. The remaining games on the list included both physical and digital.
OK, it is still only for the UK though. You can't extrapolate that world wide, especially the UK is only a few percentage of the global market.

yazenov

OK, it is still only for the UK though. You can't extrapolate that world wide, especially the UK is only a few percentage of the global market.

Actually yes we can extrapolate unless you have a better alternative. I don't see it changing anyways.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah it was a rough estimate, but my point still stands as 4.5 million copies and two thirds of sales are on the PC, which means the console sales are round 1.5 million. Still a disappointment when comparing it to Skyrim.

These aren’t lifetime sales, Skyrim had more hype and came from a long established franchise and there was no GP to attenuate sales when Skyrim launched.

The Gamepass subscription bump was a temporary bump while nice, but meaningless in the long run as admitted in court that the sub growth has stalled. from the lack of any announcement from MS with regards to Gamepass numbers, their silence tells as that it is still the case.

Star field failed at boosting console sales and overall subscription numbers. It's a failure at both fronts including the under expected reviews as well.

You realize everyone knows you have no data to make the claims that Starfield did not boost GP subscription numbers? Calling a bump ‘temporary’ means you have data to indicate new subscribers driven by Starfield did not stick. Where’s the source of that? Especially when we look at average play time for the title.

Microsoft said that console GP growth has slowed down. That doesn’t directly translate to ‘stalled’.

Zathalus

Actually yes we can extrapolate unless you have a better alternative. I don't see it changing anyways.
I don't have a better alternative but extrapolating world wide sales from a single tiny market makes no sense. PC market share in China is quite a bit larger then consoles with a much different taste in games, so obviously the situation there would look quite a bit different. Besides if you believe that PS make up 51% of all sales and PC 32% that leaves 17% to cover Switch and Xbox combined, which is nonsense considering we known it's been a huge sales hit on Switch.

yazenov

I don't have a better alternative but extrapolating world wide sales from a single tiny market makes no sense. PC market share in China is quite a bit larger then consoles with a much different taste in games, so obviously the situation there would look quite a bit different. Besides if you believe that PS make up 51% of all sales and PC 32% that leaves 17% to cover Switch and Xbox combined, which is nonsense considering we known it's been a huge sales hit on Switch.

The UK market is relatively similar to the US market so that's about the biggest market in the world so it's within the ballpark. And Japan is mostly Nintendo Switch then PS4/PS5 so the majority of sales will be on consoles.

Hogwarts Legacy just released on the Switch on the 14th of November, so don't be surprised if its game share is small compared to the PS4/PS5 which were released much earlier. As for Xbox, Gamepass and the smaller userbase tell you multiplatform games doest sell the most of its platforms.

As for China, do you have any data to back up your claims? I thought they mostly play free-to-pay games on mobile but I could be wrong. I'd love to be enlightened on this subject.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

99.9% of games in existence are a disappointment when compared to Skyrim. It's a silly comparison.

Are the Red Dead games a disapointment because they sell a fraction of what the GTA games sell?

Last edited:

yazenov

These aren’t lifetime sales, Skyrim had more hype and came from a long established franchise and there was no GP to attenuate sales when Skyrim launched.

You realize everyone knows you have no data to make the claims that Starfield did not boost GP subscription numbers? Calling a bump ‘temporary’ means you have data to indicate new subscribers driven by Starfield did not stick. Where’s the source of that? Especially when we look at average play time for the title.

Microsoft said that console GP growth has slowed down. That doesn’t directly translate to ‘stalled’.

We know that Gamepass subscription growth has stalled because of the court leaks and the silence of MS on any announcement on Gamepass subscriptions. They have around 25 million subs.
I wouldn't be surprised if they received a temporary boost from Starfield but to sustain those subs over the coming months is a different story. There is no evidence of any sustained growth. Unless of course MS comes out and announces overall growth in subscription numbers. ANd the lack of console sales certainly doesn't help MS's case.

From the unredacted documents, this is the investigation hearing that took place remotely between the FTC and Microsoft in October 2022, the excerpt says as follows:
Q. (FTC): Let's talk about Game Pass. How many subscribers does Game Pass have now?
P. Spencer - Highly Confidential
My note: (I think we can assume this was the 25 million number provided by Microsoft in January 2022)
Q. (FTC): And that's the same number that I think was announced when the Activision deal was announced. It has not grown in the last, if you know, eight or nine months?
A. (Phil Spencer): It has not.

ahtlas7

Baldur’s Gate 3 is basically a Steam exclusive. Keys are only available through Steam for PC. So this isn’t exactly a fair comparison.
edit: it’s on GOG & Steam.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
We know that Gamepass subscription growth has stalled because of the court leaks and the silence of MS on any announcement on Gamepass subscriptions. They have around 25 million subs.
I wouldn't be surprised if they received a temporary boost from Starfield but to sustain those subs over the coming months is a different story. There is no evidence of any sustained growth. Unless of course MS comes out and announces overall growth in subscription numbers. ANd the lack of console sales certainly doesn't help MS's case.

We know it’s slowed down on console because Spencer confirmed this. But it’s still growing. The 25 million count comes from Jan 2022 and it’s silly to imagine it’s still at this same level 2 years and millions of console sales later.
The statement in the FTC leak seems to be a way for Phil to get around not disclosing figures he earlier said were ‘highly confidential’, and that was dated at October 2022 anyway.

Subscriptions tend to be sticky for many people. The bump PS Plus received for Stray managed to stay in place. There’s no indication that most folks who signed up with the Starfield launch left the service.
Until we get additional data from MS, best to clearly label speculation as such and not hard facts.

Back to topic, nobody in this thread is arguing that Starfield met Microsoft’s expectations. It didn’t hit the critic reception they would have expected, and they would certainly have expected better commercial performance. But this is a counterpoint to all those who were claiming that the title ‘flopped’, and that’s what’s being discussed in this thread.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

RE4 is number 4 on the list?

Last edited:

Baki

I don’t believe VG Insights has anything to do with VGC

Well, They certainly spoke with their wallets when you consider where both games sit on Steam’s 2023 revenue tier
I meant VGinsights. Check the disclosure on their report. It’s all estimates, they received no data from steam. These numbers are all bullshit despite the pretty graphs.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure where they’re getting their data from. CSGO2 would surely be in the top 3 if not #1.

Doesn’t look like any F2P game is on their list, which is expected when you look at their methodology.

CSGO2, PUBG, Apex, Destiny 2, Warzone and Lost Ark are in the Platinum Revenue tier like BG3, Starfield et al but they’re F2P so won’t show up.

00_Zer0

I am happy for Armored Core. From Soft deserves all the success it can get. It's exciting to see a Japanese developer like them find success like this. After successes like Dark Souls, and Elden Ring their prowess for developing hardcore games for the masses knows no bounds.

Last edited:

sachos

Single player games winning. Love to see it. What happens when WB possibly (given previews) sees Hogwarts make more money than Suicide Squad with what i assume was way less dev time and money investment?

Top Bottom