• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Just ordered my copy from videogamesplus. They seemed to have it in stock for a reasonable price, so if anyone else is in Canada they can take advantage of that.

I wonder how quick it would ship to the US from there. I'd think I'd get it faster from Canada than the UK.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't really have a clue what this game is other than it's a visual novel but I just ordered it anyway. Hope it's good!

So even VGP in Canada has copies in stock now while zavvi still doesn't.
Classic zavvi

All in all the launch is a bit of a mess. Weird digital pricing, Vita version still not up on the webstore, stock issues.. The game deserves better

LiK

Classic zavvi

All in all the launch is a bit of a mess. Weird digital pricing, Vita version still not up on the webstore, stock issues.. The game deserves better

yup, and still nothing with the NA version. i mean, seriously?

StereoVsn

I am probably just going to get vita copy from VGP and call it a day. It's a bit pricier then I would have wanted (already have PC version) but what the heck, I'd rather have this on physical anyway.

Deimo5

Is this not available on New Zealand PSN? I don't see it on the store. I've been told it's on the Australian one though.

Probably been asked before but, having watched the anime twice (and sadly remembering it quite well), is the game worth playing? How much am I missing by sticking to the anime adaptation only?

Classic zavvi

Yeah, looks like PQube undershipped on this pretty badly. Man, sorry to hear people got fucked over by Zavvi. :( I've used them... once in the past, and that was enough for me.

Ozgameshop have it back in stock by the way, if anyone's still looking. I can't recommend this joint enough. Despite their name, they also ship to the US, Canada and... lots of places really. It's about $30 USD there, plus $2 shipping.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/playstation-vita-games/steins-gate-ps-vita-game?auto

LiK

Probably been asked before but, having watched the anime twice (and sadly remembering it quite well), is the game worth playing? How much am I missing by sticking to the anime adaptation only?

game has more stuff that the anime doesn't. you may have been spoiled by the true ending but the anime doesn't have all the alt endings which were pretty incredible. the game also takes its time building up the concepts and world better than the anime, imo.

Yeah, looks like PQube undershipped on this pretty badly. Man, sorry to hear people got fucked over by Zavvi. :( I've used them... once in the past, and that was enough for me.

Ozgameshop have it back in stock by the way, if anyone's still looking. I can't recommend this joint enough. Despite their name, they also ship to the US, Canada and... lots of places really. It's about $30 USD there, plus $2 shipping.

Where is this place based out of?

Mandelbo

The formatting on the text messages is really weird. Words get spread across lines if they don't fit on one, and so far I don't they've used any paragraphs at all. It makes it a little harder to read than it really needs to be :p

I'm going to defend this since they're a UK based publisher. This isn't any different from Atlus games taking ages to get to EU for example. Now you know how it feels :p
The formatting on the text messages is really weird. Words get spread across lines if they don't fit on one, and so far I don't they've used any paragraphs at all. It makes it a little harder to read than it really needs to be :p

That doesn't sound good :/

LiK

I'm going to defend this since they're a UK based publisher. This isn't any different from Atlus games taking ages to get to EU for example. Now you know how it feels :p

you can blame the Atlus stuff on those UK-based publishers who can't get it together. :p

ramyeon

This happens on normal text boxes too. Translation is fine so far but for whatever reason the tutorial stuff that pops up from time to time has some really bad grammar mistakes, regular text is fine though. Weird.

game has more stuff that the anime doesn't. you may have been spoiled by the true ending but the anime doesn't have all the alt endings which were pretty incredible. the game also takes its time building up the concepts and world better than the anime, imo.
Okay, intriguing enough, I'll consider it. Thanks LiK. :)

ramyeon

Is it possible to cancel out of a reply once you've seen what it is? It's a bit hard to tell what any given reply is going to be just from the highlighted words...

PranooY

Bought it on Vita off PSN store and played one chapter. This is really really good & I'm in love. Amazing writing, great VA and cool characters. I never expected it to be this good.

Bought it on Vita off PSN store and played one chapter. This is really really good & I'm in love. Amazing writing, great VA and cool characters. I never expected it to be this good.
It's not considered one of the best VNs around for nothing :)

Glad you're enjoying it!

tumblr_nknw2fkmyw1rs4yfmo1_500.gif

Westraid

I figured it'd be available widely so I didn't really look into pre-orders and store stocks until yesterday. Only one country based website has it for sale atm, and the other one won't have it at all until the 10th.

Going to head to the shopping centre and probably come back empty handed.

EDIT:
tumblr_inline_n2zhpvioAP1qhcd12.jpg

zakujanai

I used to see this game everywhere when I lived in Japan a few years ago and thought it looked pretty awesome. It was this, Kiseki and Xenoblade that I was usually lusting after. So happy it's finally out here.

Having said that, I was worried during the prologue as I couldn't tell if the protagonist was being serious and it wasn't all that interesting. Then I got to the end shot in Akiba and the opening credits rolled... Excited to get going with it now.

A few questions.

Does this work on PS TV too? I was going to get the the Vita version as I want to play both at home and on the go.

If I bought the PS3 version is it that much better looking? I guess it's not cross buy or cross save right?

I've never played one of these games before and know nothing about the anime. Will I stil enjoy it?

Lastly which is the best visual novel game on Vita/PS3/4? I have both Danganronpa's, and VLR but never played any of these yet due to my massive backlog.

Mandelbo

This happens on normal text boxes too. Translation is fine so far but for whatever reason the tutorial stuff that pops up from time to time has some really bad grammar mistakes, regular text is fine though. Weird.

It's definitely present in regular dialog, but it doesn't seem to be quite as egregious as it is in the text messages - it only appears to happen with words containing punctuation, like "isn't", where the apostrophe and the "t" get put on a separate line if they don't fit.

Just a quick example of what I mean by the weird formatting on text messages:
(This is a text from chapter one and contains no spoilers, as far as I'm aware. If there is something in it tell me and I'll just link the image instead of embedding it!)

woo2dIr.jpg

That being said, this is my only issue with the game right now. I'm only up to chapter 2, but I'm absolutely loving everything else so far!

A few questions.

Does this work on PS TV too? I was going to get the the Vita version as I want to play both at home and on the go.
Yes
If I bought the PS3 version is it that much better looking?
Well, the Vita has a nice screen itself and the game would look good there, but the PS3 version would have the actual 1080p visuals, so it should look better on the TV than the PSTV would. It'd be interesting to see if anyone can give us comparisons though.
I guess it's not cross buy or cross save right?
Nope. Not either.
I've never played one of these games before and know nothing about the anime. Will I stil enjoy it?
You'll probably enjoy it even more than an anime viewer. Play the game, watch the anime after.
Lastly which is the best visual novel game on Vita/PS3/4? I have both Danganronpa's, and VLR but never played any of these yet due to my massive backlog.
In terms of what's available on the PSV, those three games are all amazing VNs and are all worth your time.

quabba

Thanks so much for this. I was trying to order it yesterday and it was out of stock so I entered my email to be notified when it was back in stock, I hadn't received any emails but saw your message so it's ordered.

Wampiro

Neo Member
I´m updating on this in case anyone is thinking on buying at Amazon Spain.

So, Amazon Spain still didn´t ship my order of the PS3 limited edition, although they have stock: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00W3R6598/

They should had shipped it 2-3 days ago to arrive at June the 5th, si I´m assuming they have stock issues as well but those are not displayed on the site.

WTF is happening with this game, seriously.

Yaari

I´m updating on this in case anyone is thinking on buying at Amazon Spain.

So, Amazon Spain still didn´t ship my order of the PS3 limited edition, although they have stock: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00W3R6598/

They should had shipped it 2-3 days ago to arrive at June the 5th, si I´m assuming they have stock issues as well but those are not displayed on the site.

WTF is happening with this game, seriously.

I bought my Vita version from them and I don't speak a word of spanish so I have no idea if that's not in stock either. I'm guessing its not.

Bleh.

sub_o

I pre-ordered it thru Zavvi quite sometime ago, and it seems to be sold out already. I guess I'll just patiently wait.

Wampiro

Neo Member
This must all be the work of SERN...

lol

I bought my Vita version from them and I don't speak a word of spanish so I have no idea if that's not in stock either. I'm guessing its not.

Bleh.

I checked it for you. Based on the site, Regular Vita edition is on stock. Limited Vita version says there is only 1 item left on stock.

But in my case, PS3 limited says it is on stock, BUT they didn´t send my reserve yet, so the stock showed in the site can´t be trusted too much, I guess.

This is the first time something like this happens to me in Amazon Spain, they are usually the most trustworthy digital store, from my experience.

EDIT: Wait, I was wrong. The Limited Vita edition has 1 item left on stock, BUT from a different retailer, not amazon themselves, and it is 59.95€ lol. So the limited Edition for Vita is out of stock in Amazon SP.

Yaari

Thanks Wampiro. Hope they sort those PS3's version as well then. Overall this has been handled pretty poorly.

I pre-ordered it thru Zavvi quite sometime ago, and it seems to be sold out already. I guess I'll just patiently wait.

Most likely never even got stock at all. I don't like Zavvi but theres some questions to be asked regarding the limited supply for this game too. I understand that they probably didn't anticipate its popularity but the fact that retailers like Amazon ran out on day one, that's pretty nuts.

Oh well I guess the positive is that a good case for VN's have been made here. If it does well, maybe we'll see more of it someday.

Omikaru

did they released it for the US yet

No. Just be grateful that you're getting the game at all.
I don't mean this -- this is just what some people say to Europeans moaning about delayed release dates.

PQube is a UK publisher, and they are publishing it in the US too, so I expect the US version isn't too far off. But no release date yet. Hope you all get one soon!

I hope you have time to playthrough it all this month.

For the people complaining about the US release, if you want digital on NA for Vita I see the issue otherwise just import. Not a big deal. At least it is on a region free console and the game has no DLC.

VLR is amazing but it will spoil the equally amazing 999 for you if you still haven't played it. I didn't like Dangan Ronpa at all, it falls apart horribly towards the end (both plot and character-wise). I played Steins;Gate on PC and loved it; it's the opposite of Dangan Ronpa, it starts somewhat weakly but builds up in a really nice way.

Bleh.

If it says Pendiente de envío that is Pending Shipment, if it says En proceso de envío that is Processing Shipment, which is Amazon.es' version of Shipping Now.

And yes it looks like the PS3 LE is in stock and can be delivered to the US by Wednesday using AMAZON GlobalExpress if you order by Sunday?

jiggles

Banned
I've just picked this up and gone through the prologue, but it's all a little confusing and incomprehensible. I was waiting for it to cut away and explain or give some backstory, but it never did and I felt like I was missing something.

The whole thing isn't like this, is it? I don't have the patience right now for something that'll only make sense *later*.

cj_iwakura

I've just picked this up and gone through the prologue, but it's all a little confusing and incomprehensible. I was waiting for it to cut away and explain or give some backstory, but it never did and I felt like I was missing something.

The whole thing isn't like this, is it? I don't have the patience right now for something that'll only make sense *later*.

It gives you little tidbits along the way, then the big reveal clubs you in the jaw and by then you're hooked.

It'll make sense sooner rather than later

Mendrox

Then stop playing. The payoff for knowing nothing is the most incredible thing ever in this game after a few hours. Everything makes sense with new bits but you have to be a bit patient.

No. Just be grateful that you're getting the game at all.
I don't mean this -- this is just what some people say to Europeans moaning about delayed release dates.

PQube is a UK publisher, and they are publishing it in the US too, so I expect the US version isn't too far off. But no release date yet. Hope you all get one soon!

What's the use in being a hegemonic superpower if we don't get all the video games first?

Imperialism faschmiliarism.

Top Bottom