• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade has climbed to #1 pre-order in both PS Store and Amazon (US)

xiskza

Resetera right now

melt-down-mad.gif

Last edited:
preorders really don't mean shit. Like only a few percent of gamers preorder games. It is not indicative of how it will do sales wise on release. People said the same thing about Hi-Fi Rush being #1 for like a day on the Playstation store. It didn't even crack the top 100 being played Playstation games when it came out last month
It's #1bestseller on Amazon, along with all other released games like FF and Helldivers 2, it's a huge preorder number.

Denorion

Neo Member
Stellar Blade is receiving a lot of heat by the usual suspects simply because it's from a South Korean studio that has zero tolerance for feminism. South Korea in general is very conservative and frown upon modern Western "progressive" ideas, so this isn't surprising. I remember reading about a national poll being conducted on Western feminism that resulted in 70 percent of young men and half of the women that were polled calling it Female Supremacy.
To be fair, the feminist movement in South Korea, is to put it mildly, batshit insane
So the zero tolerance makes sense

See: Megalia

Madflavor

Guys, really no need to argue on this. I think the point is that we agree the problem is the west, where publishers/devs got hijacked by the DEI crap and forced to uglify characters. While the Asian devs have been able to stay out of those cesspool and following their aesthetics.

I do hope Stellar Blade to be a pioneer to start turning the table.

Yeah not trying to argue, just adding some perspective. Danjin44 Danjin44 is right in that we still get beautiful women included in games, but you bring up the main problem right now, which is The West.

But this raises a good question. Will Stellar Blade change everything if it's a success? Not really no. But at the very least it will continue to show Eastern developers that their approach to female design is still popular and welcome within the Western gamer sphere, and they will continue to do what they do. I do believe the pendulum will swing back to a more sane direction over time for the West, and games like Stellar Blade being successful will do their part in helping us get there eventually.

preorders really don't mean shit. Like only a few percent of gamers preorder games. It is not indicative of how it will do sales wise on release. People said the same thing about Hi-Fi Rush being #1 for like a day on the Playstation store. It didn't even crack the top 100 being played Playstation games when it came out last month

You're absolutely right. It is however worth noting that Stellar Blade was #1 in Pre-Orders on Amazon and the PS Store in many regions when that gameplay trailer dropped a couple months back and stayed that way for a few days. Right now Stellar Blade is #1 once again on Amazon and the PS Store worldwide since that demo dropped, and it's stayed that way since then. I'm not expecting huge 3+ million numbers, but with all the attention it's been getting, I'm sure it's going to do pretty well overall.

To be fair, the feminist movement in South Korea, is to put it mildly, batshit insane

It also reeeeeeeally doesn't help that other countries in the Eastern parts of the world are looking at the West and what it's turned into, and probably saying "You see? If we go down this road, that's the future of our country." We're doing feminist movements in other countries no favors.

Yes, the feminism batshit is pretty much to an extent straight male hatred.

But the difference is that the feminism in Korean is more about equal right and stuff, no thing against being beautiful and sexual attractive. Being femine and good looking is pretty much the consensus for the whole society, their feminists are also hot chicks.

Nydius

I mean, when was the last time the woke Western game journalists got pissed by a game? Show me an example similar to Stellar blade where they have melt downs over twitter and Reee because of a sexy lead woman character?

Bayonetta & Bayonetta 2.

The whole DEI/inclusion movement was in its infancy then but even in those days there were complaints, arguments, and meltdowns about the sexualized character and the way the camera followed her combat. I remember forum and social media arguments when anyone would point out that the character artist who created Bayonetta was female (Mari Shimazaki). I don’t recall seeing an article about video games “pandering to the male gaze” until Bayonetta released.

Honestly, other than the cutscene where Eve has her suit initialized, nothing in the demo was remotely as risqué as what Bayonetta does repeatedly across three games. Bayonetta’s entire combat design is about making her lose her hair (clothes) in very fetishized ways. 🤷

But even with AAA.....we just got FFVII Rebirth .
final-fantasy-7-rebirth-swim-suit-date-aerith-tifa.jpg

I feel like such a minority in that I preferred the Daisy Duke outfit for Tifa. Which I suppose makes sense, given that I grew up watching The Dukes of Hazzard. 🤣

VVtJHMA.jpg

And cyberpunk. I don't think they are as concerned with the game's success as they are about losing users over it. If you are there to talk games, and a huge game everyone is talking about gets banned, it hard not to go shopping around for other communities.
I think cyberpunk and Hogwarts Legacy were banned for transphobia, they've called Stellar Blade a misogynistic game, but as long as it doesn't further hurt the feelings of transgender people, there's still a chance it won't be banned.

Mr.Phoenix

It just occurred to me that at this rate, even being a PS supporter will start getting people canceled. Since the woke crowd obviously cannot do anything about these games doing well, they may feel it easier to just attack the gamers instead.

I mean, RE already does this with their topic boycotts and bans.

Vroadstar

I'm happy with this because I couldn't stand Sony's overwhelming power. They have finally received an effective humiliation in 20 years because the market forced them. Sure, they earn more and that's good for them, but the prestige...that prestige of being able to say that this game is ONLY available on this console, they've lost that forever. And I welcome this because I'm a fanboy.

Mh, Xbox Pro is really a good name.

Starfield because it's the next BIG Bethesda RPG.

I mean, it's an event.

Bergoglio:
It doesn't mean anything, Sony fanboy. Also Sea of Thieves the other week. Sorry, it doesn't mean anything now.

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF
Yikes!

Last edited:
I think Sony is pretty much divided - with Hermen Hulst running the PS studios and majority of them in the west, we can still expect a lot of DEI ESG craps from the first party.

But at the same time, we have good Japan guys to hold the line - it was Shuhei Yoshida himself greenlit Stellar Blade. Japanese devs still can see what make games fun and appealing to players. And that's why I am all on board for Sony to let Japanese to retake the leadership of Playstation.
Good point
Shuhei's always been awesome.
Fun Fact
He was one of the few in the industry who said congrats to Colin Moriarty on Twitter when he got married.

Inuteu

I hope this game is a huge hit so we can get more games like this. You know, games with beautiful women.

Screw the woke bullshit devs that make their women characters like men on purpose because we all know why.
its not just about hot women in games

its about developers having freedom to create and not being dictaded by Microsoft, sweet baby, woke media or whatever...

now is a good time to send a message by suporting this game

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
its not just about hot women in games

its about developers having freedom to create and not being dictaded by Microsoft, sweet baby, woke media or whatever...

now is a good time to send a message by suporting this game

But even if Stellar Blade is going to send a strong message that gamers don't want to play games with ugly, desexualized women catering only to angry feminists and soy boys, it will take years before that change can be seen. The development cycle of a game is so long that publishers aren't going to radically change games that are well in production. And how to get rid of the crazies in charge who shove their misguided "progressive" ideals into their games?

Stellar Blade Director Kim Hyung Tae says that Sony's help with PR and marketing was impressive! #StellarBlade

"What impressed me is that Sony really emphasizes understanding the game when it comes to PR and marketing. The relevant personnel visited and spent a very long time learning about the game and talking about it. In this way a consensus was built on what Stellar Blade was trying to achieve and its strengths and weaknesses, which led to more effective PR and marketing"

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Sony~
Here at Sony we're proud to work in partner with our diverse gender DEI politics developers in the West. We take pride in the message, it's all about being 'inclusive'

Also Sony~
Fuck me those tits are huge, and look at that ass! Get on it, everyone needs to play this asap

bvUhHbL.jpg

Inuteu

But even if Stellar Blade is going to send a strong message that gamers don't want to play games with ugly, desexualized women catering only to angry feminists and soy boys, it will take years before that change can be seen. The development cycle of a game is so long that publishers aren't going to radically change games that are well in production. And how to get rid of the crazies in charge who shove their misguided "progressive" ideals into their games?
I imagine how Lara will look in her next game...

Sony~
Here at Sony we're proud to work in partner with our diverse gender DEI politics developers in the West. We take pride in the message, it's all about being 'inclusive'

Also Sony~
Fuck me those tits are huge, and look at that ass! Get on it, everyone needs to play this asap

bvUhHbL.jpg
This is what I said in the other post, I think Playstation is pretty much divided between their Japanese vs. western leadership.

I think Sony is pretty much divided - with Hermen Hulst running the PS studios and majority of them in the west, we can still expect a lot of DEI ESG craps from the first party.

But at the same time, we have good Japan guys to hold the line - it was Shuhei Yoshida himself greenlit Stellar Blade. Japanese devs still can see what make games fun and appealing to players. And that's why I am all on board for Sony to let Japanese to retake the leadership of Playstation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom