• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What a scam. RH not allowing buying of certain stocks today. Right before tomorrow's strike price deadlines.

Lucky for me, I'm out. NOK has bricked to below $5 and Trivago is almost bac to where I sold it at before the surge.

My portfolio is slightly up.

Blackberry cratered to $20 cdn (-$10). If it drops another $10 the next few days, I'm going to buy some.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
A number of Canadian brokers, including mine, are down this morning due to what I'm guessing to be trading volume (or coordinated action). We're run by an oligopoly of banks with no interest in upgrading their systems while charging high fees at the same time.

I have no interest in the stocks rocketing to the moon but at the very least I'd like to check up on short % and get my daily news but that's too much to ask for apparently.

Dunki

so let me get this straight. They are holding ALL TRADE with GME and AMC until the price is down enough for the big ones to make profits again?

so let me get this straight. They are holding ALL TRADE with GME and AMC until the price is down enough for the big ones to make profits again?

Just buys as far as I know. Which limits who can buy. If only the shorters can buy they will chip away at the stock price. But some buyers can buy elsewhere. Just not robinhood etc.

sackings

any recommendations for people outside the US on a RH type app? Im in crypto as well so it blew my mind that you can trade stocks and crypto on RH...

ManofOne

Plus Member
So after doing some investigative work. I've come up with a few theories on what's going on

1) The margin requirements for some brokers on buying or shorting specific stocks went up between 300% to 500%.

2) Some (or a lot of ) people seem to be trading with negative equity and cash so they are borrowing money from the brokers to trade these stocks. Brokers have to protect themselves.

3) Some corruption could be involve but who knows

4) It seems to go back to my point earlier about options expiring tomm. So it either ppl buy the options that are deep in the money but if they don't have the capital to do that then it puts their account in margin , sell the option itself if there is a market for it which floods the market with stocks and hurts the option, or let the option expire which is crazy because you lose out a lot of money since all you paying is the premium for an in the money call.

Last edited:

Dunki

So after doing some investigative work. I've come up with a few theories on what's going on

1) The margin requirements for some brokers on buying or shorting specific stocks went up between 300% to 500%.

2) Some (or a lot of ) people seem to be trading with negative equity and cash so they are borrowing money from the brokers to trade these stocks. Brokers have to protect themselves.

3) Some corruption could be involve but who knows

4) It seems to go back to my point earlier about options expiring tomm. So it either ppl buy the options that are deep in the money but if they don't have the capital to do that then it puts their account in margin , sell the option itself if there is a market for it which floods the market with stocks and hurts the option, or let the option expire which is crazy because you lose out a lot of money since all you paying is the premium for an in the money call.
lets just say when Robinhood and co did not let people buy anymore these stocks went down like crazy there is no bottom anymore. This is fucking ridiculous. How is all of this legal.

ManofOne

Plus Member
lets just say when Robinhood and co did not let people buy anymore these stocks went down like crazy there is no bottom anymore. This is fucking ridiculous. How is all of this legal.

Lol, I don't want to speculate man but at the end of the day if people are trading on margin accounts, brokers will the ones holding a lot of bankruptcies if these accounts do go bankrupt.

Dunki

Lol, I don't want to speculate man but at the end of the day if people are trading on margin accounts, brokers will the ones holding a lot of bankruptcies if these accounts do go bankrupt.
You do not need to speculate when this did happen in ONE HOUR

153.00-194.51 (-55.97%)
As of 11:13AM EST. Market open.
Advertisement

I really hope this means war and it is not over. Sue these companies to hell

I was always a defender of Capitalism and free market but you can see how "free" this market really is. IT is ridiculous

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
6aVEs01.png

ManofOne

Plus Member
Lol, called it.

It seems A LOT OF OPTIONS were expiring tomm. So Friday's problem just became a thursday problem.

The best time to sell was yesterday.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well if it drops this low, barely any point in panic selling anyway.

Dunki

Lol, called it.

It seems A LOT OF OPTIONS were expiring tomm. So Friday's problem just became a thursday problem.

The best time to sell was yesterday.
So they did hold the market until the options would activate? fucking scum.

Well Fuck it. Lets go all out Communism and take away all their money

ManofOne

Plus Member
Everything goes back to this post earlier.

BTW I WOULD SELL BEFORE FRIDAY. B/C WHAT CAN HAPPEN FOR SHORTS CAN HAPPEN TO RETAIL INVESTORS WHEN THEY TRY TO SELL ON FRIDAY.

Here is a good post on reddit explaining it.

"So what happens next and why is Friday so important?

Since a great deal of call options are well into the money, brokerages are now expecting traders to exercise their options or sell their positions to be exercised else-wise. Since the 29th is a massive day for option expiration, millions of people are looking to cash in and dump shares / exercise to profit.

However, many of these traders do not have the capital required to actually open a position. This causes a huge problem because now all of those traders with options will A) be sold back to the MM who will immediately sell/ adjust their net delta to the downside to protect their risk exposure OR immediately exercise and sell their shares to avoid margin calls/ interest.

Not only does the take away of millions of option contracts and the exercise of such add a massive supply of shares to the market ( to be sold) it also forces dealers to sell shares to reduce their exposure they were forced to originally buy to hedge their delta from the calls. So, in theory the opposite of what happened on the way up can happen on the way down, but this time as dealers unload their shares forcibly to control their delta, shorts will also tack on to add pressure on the way down, also short selling shares to create a massive sell off
."

Top Bottom