• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Jared Leto seems less than thrilled his Joker scenes got cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
From a recent interview with IGN where they got the chance to sit down with the actor:

We also asked Leto if he was upset about any of his scenes getting cut – as previously reported – to which he responded.

“Were there any that didn’t get cut? I’m asking you, were there any that didn’t get cut? There were so many scenes that got cut from the movie, I couldn’t even start. I think that the Joker… we did a lot of experimentation on the set, we explored a lot. There’s so much that we shot that’s not in the film.

“If I die anytime soon, it’s probably likely that it’ll surface somewhere. That’s the good news about the death of an actor is all that stuff seems to come out.”

mqdefault.jpg

As IGN left the room, we told Leto we hope he doesn’t die anytime soon, to which he rather darkly responded “We all die.”

Jared mate, you're not Heath Ledger and that's okay.

Hurt me really, really bad if old.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
“If I die anytime soon, it’s probably likely that it’ll surface somewhere. That’s the good news about the death of an actor is all that stuff seems to come out.”

I know he's not referring to anything specific here but considering what happened to Ledger, what a strange thing to say.

I'm sure Jared Leto has redeeming qualities about him, but man - Everything about his Joker role sounds like tryhard-city. Christ, Leto...Leto It Go.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I hope he doesn't kill himself.
Like it or note, Heath Ledger's death contributed a huge amount of spotlight toward TDK.

Every thread I've seen on the internet asking for "How was it to meet you favourite celebrity" seems to have a lot of "Jared Leto is an asshole" replies.

That "good news about the death of an actor" line is not dispelling that hearsay opinion for me.

EGM1966

I suspect few actors are thrilled when their work is cut unless it works out even better for them and the film.

SS is very choppy with edits/pacing so I doubt he sees it as anything but a negative.

That said IMHO the core issue is the film doesn't have room for Joker really (or Batman) and both are shoehorned in (cynically I can't help but feel mainly to ensure the film has additional draw and include them in marketing).

It should have focused squarely on its Dirty Dozen team and at most had a few peeks of Joker in flashbacks for Harley.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was with him until the death shit. You need to calm down Jared

Maybe because he doesn't send people used condoms?

They were never used, but I get your point. Don't try to defen Leto here, he's being a douche and should just shut the fuck up and redeem himself in coming movies.

But there is more footage of the Joker leaked, than he is in the movie.

Seems like issues with his ego or something. Gotta go with the flow and do what works man, which is probably what the directors were doing when they cut his scenes

EGM1966

Maybe because he doesn't send people used condoms?
People would buy DDL used condoms though so giving 'em away would make no sense.

Also agree with others: on reflection he probably shouldn't be taking it this seriously. Maybe he figured he was on a path to an award worthy turn a'la Ledger?

Donos

I partially can understand this since it seems that he really tried to put a lot of work into the character. Seeing that all this was for nothing or only for the "ultimate cut" can make you disappointed.

zoozilla

Jared Leto being an egomaniacal asshole isn't news, but damn if everything around his Joker performance doesn't confirm it twenty times over.

I always thought this but never truly believed it until now, but I'm pretty sure he's just now literally trying to be Heath, I mean it's to the point now where it's basically parody.

Oh, also he's a douche. Seriously Jared, what a douche.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If they were like the scene where he was laughing in the room full of knives I think it was for the best.

If they were like the scene where he was laughing in the room full of knives I think it was for the best.

wat? that's the best scene in any of these trailers. very solid shot that sells the bad guy.

anyways i thought that death comment was in poor taste. i understand why he's frustrated but no need to go there...

Sorcerer

Feel kinda bad for him, obviously The Joker was shoehorned in so he could be placed in the trailers. From what I understand if you see the trailers you basically have seen most of Leto's performance.
But at the same time, he obviously was going to be prominently featured down the line at some point?
Any truth to the story that Smith's ego got in the way and demanded his character have a bigger part and changed the movie dramatically, adding to the mess? Was Deadshot really planned as the main character?

Zaph

jesus, he comes across so try-hard edgy

If Blizzard ever makes an Overwatch film, there's the perfect Reaper

As IGN left the room, we told Leto we hope he doesn’t die anytime soon, to which he rather darkly responded “We all die.”

. . . Suddenly, Jared grabbed me and threw me against the table. "Makes you want to laugh," he continued, "Doesn't it, IGN?"

tumblr_lo6xka9qza1qcay1ao1_500.gif

brawly

I honestly wouldn't put it past this guy to kill himself and leave a note of request that they release those scenes.

not that I would want that ofc

I honestly wouldn't put it past this guy to kill himself and leave a note of request that they release those scenes.

okay now y'all getting trolled too easily.

anyways one listen to a 30 seconds to mars track was enough to know how corny leto was. still i liked his performance in dallas buyers club and he looks like an incredible joker.

Harmen

Well, the guy is also a musician, and for musicians the whole death thing rings true, with companies officially releasing and marketing even the most obscure B-side demos post mortem. Given there wasn't any additional Joker stuff after Ledger died, maybe he wasn't actually referring to that?

Imagine doing all that method acting and barely making it into the movie.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207260

Though I personally don't respect method acting or believe the amount the actor suffers can be used to justify the quality of a character.
That isn't acting or getting into character. That's doing dumb shit to create a narrative about how method you're getting.

Leto was good in Dallas Buyers Club. But holy fuck he loves himself to the point of obnoxiousness. He reminds me of too many people I meet in the industry that aren't so much in love with the art form, but in love with the perception of being seen as an artist.

Haven't seen the movie but from what i've seen he seems like a really bad match for the Joker.
I thought gaf was hyping him for reasons i don't understand.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
not enough of his scenes were cut. he was plain bad.

(although if they did actually film the abusive relationship and cut it, then I change this opinion)

tomtom94

I find it kind of hard because on the one hand I want to call Leto out on his ridiculous pretentiousness for the last decade (Have you seen his music video for "Closer to the Edge"? Christ) but on the other I think he's getting off easy for some of the shit he pulled.

Like, say what you will about Ledger but I don't think he ever involved anyone else in his weirdness when he was getting in character as Joker.

kurahador

Leto's Joker is basically what I fear we would get when Heath Ledger's Joker was revealed years ago.

Still, this guy need to get over himself. How self centered can you be to be implying suicide casually like that?
Seriously, fuck this guy.

JimiNutz

Banned
Like his take on The Joker or not, it certainly seems like a strange choice to cut any of the Joker scenes. He was an important part of the marketing and he's an immensely popular character.

I certainly wanted more Joker not less and I think the majority of the average movie going public felt the same. Maybe his take was too dark? Hopefully we see it on an uncut version of the film for Blu Ray...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom