• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Season One Kicks Off on March 28

Draugoth

Gold Member
suicide-squad-season-1.jpeg

While the official patch notes aren’t available yet, here’s what Rocksteady Studios has revealed so far about Season One (via the game’s roadmap):

• The Joker as a New Playable Character
  • New Joker-Themed Playable Environment
  • Two Episodes with New Missions, Activities & Strongholds
  • New Boss Fights & Enemy Variants
  • New DC Villain-Themed Weapons & Gear
  • New Riddler Content

Last edited:

stn

I would have been more interested if the characters played differently and required you to approach missions differently. From all the footage I have seen, they all shoot guns the same way. Very generic (and also makes Deadshot irrelevant, since he's literally the "gun" character based on the lore). I sincerely hope some people are enjoying it for what it is, and I hope to get it when it hits a deep sale.

simpatico

Anyone want to ballpark how much money they lost by not canceling this at the last second? The lion's share of the marketing budget and being able to write the whole mess off much more cleanly. I bet if they had it to do over the game never sees the light of day.

Who are advising these people and what is in their hair dye? Seriously big corpo needs a new set of advisors for every one of their gaming divisions.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think that because he died in the Arkham series they wanted to make the "alternate dimension" Joker look more distinguishable.
Yeah different dimension. I think I read they based this design off the “The Joker” series of comics?

f9fd59c81e66c695005ad3224abcc6c2-800.jpg

MiguelItUp

Yeah different dimension. I think I read they based this design off the “The Joker” series of comics?

f9fd59c81e66c695005ad3224abcc6c2-800.jpg
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration. With the look of the game it's clear they wanted to go a "not so dark" look. I prefer the Arkham one personally, but it looks better than the one with the bad tattoos and grill, lol.

Ozzie666

Was playing it this morning for my expansion character build lol. Godskin peeler +25 😎

Elseworld basically the shittyer joker

Not saying it's good or bad, but reminds me of 1960's Batman Romero Joker a little. Obviously a step back from Arkham games though.

Bridges

Keeping the game installed to check this out when it releases

I'm hoping the two new episodes are similar length/scale or bigger than the ones in the main campaign

How often are such games revitalised successfully?
Hellgate London or APB Reloaded happened (and are even still alive?!), so maybe there are some bits to salvage from this too.

FingerBang

How often are such games revitalised successfully?
Hellgate London or APB Reloaded happened (and are even still alive?!), so maybe there are some bits to salvage from this too.
It's possible, but it's usually a matter of relaunching a game with potential that was disappointing because of some issues.

FFXIV, Diablo III and Destiny (when they launched TTK) are examples of paid games that launched in a disappointing way but were able to redeem themselves.
The thing is, people wanted to like those games. They were highly anticipated products.

No one wanted Suicide Squad, everybody hated it the second it was shown as a GaaS. I enjoyed the game because I liked the characters and the story, but there's no way it can succeed as a GaaS. There is nothing that will bring people back. I was done the moment I finished the story and will go back when more missions are available. No incentive in getting new gear and new material when there are plenty of other games with more satisfying progression systems. I'm not interested in trying new characters to do the same missions repeatedly.

The weird thing is, the game, in a way, doesn't know what it wants to be. The GaaS stuff is barely there during the campaign, where the focus is mainly on the story. And you can ignore any weapons and equipment because their effect barely makes any difference. Same for the abilities you can unlock. The stuff seems more meaningful in the endgame, but you probably won't care enough to stick around because... it's not fun, and you won't suddenly care after 20 hours. They went with this GaaS approach, but holding back because they were probably thinking "we're Rocksteady, players want story". Which I appreciated, but the game ended up being this weird product that makes no one happy.

tl;dr It can't be revitalized because there isn't a strong core with unfulfilled potential that an update or a rework can fix. And because Helldivers is out and costs half the price, it doesn't try to be more than it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom