• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

Trying to actually guess what my army recruits would like to eat based on their personalities was hilarious. I can't believe I cared that much about a sketch of a stereotype of a character in some instances. Ah, imagination. Why did Lorelai get Kirke's weapon between S1 and S2 anyway?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Um, I think I remember that he just gave it to her because they kindled a friendship, and he ended up being a farmer in the end. I suppose he no longer wanted to do what he talked about when you recruited him (that Tir was a weird dude for recruiting executioners).

here for this!

still gotta try 4 & tactics one day. 5 was as good a send-off as any JRPG series has had since Phantasy Star IV.
;___;

Laughing Banana said:
the final fate of the original Flame Champion
You don't have any idea how hard this hits me whenever I replay GS3. I don't know why, but it's one of those little details that I get hung up on and then I start thinking about it more than I should. Because...
the fact that he gave up his rune to grow old with his wife (which just makes me d'awww), yet he had to live the rest of his days like a lot of the other runebearers--dealing with the destruction that their runes caused when they couldn't control them. It's awful.

IrishNinja

i know schalas, but Konami is a shell with a foxhound logo on it and i honestly dont know if they could even manage dumping all the iso's to a blu-ray without dicking up something like "jowy"...id love to see them just sell the franchise to a company that wants it one day

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i know schalas, but Konami is a shell with a foxhound logo on it and i honestly dont know if they could even manage dumping all the iso's to a blu-ray without dicking up something like "jowy"...id love to see them just sell the franchise to a company that wants it one day
Falcom, pls.

They'll end up rebooting the series with another developer and completely different gameplay/storylines at this rate (possibly produced by Kojima). :v

Suikoden 2 is one of the best RPGs ever, it's only flaw is its horrible translation. One of the best soundtracks too.

Suikoden 1 is pretty damn good as well.

Suikoden 3 was alright. After the you get to where the stories converge it fell apart for me.

Suikoden 4 sucked.

Suikoden 5 was actually pretty good. Might even be my second favorite.

B.K.

And I need the secrets of Jeane to be revealed.

I'd rather have the secrets of Yuber and Pesmerga revealed. Konami should make one final mainline Suikoden game and have the final battle between Yuber and Pesmerga, since that was how Suikoden was supposed to end.

A.E Suggs

But it's not just sensible, but stylish as well, and interesting, and attractive, etc.

I may be a gay man, but I don't think a female character's design needs to be completely sexless in order to avoid the the common trap of the "vixen" archetype. There is so much middle ground that goes completely unexplored. Chris' design is like a master class in thoughtful design.

Male characters on the other hand... Loincloths for (almost) everyone!

Gunloc gets it, designs have to appeal to people as well. A lot of times designs can turn people off a game if everyone looks generic just for the sake of being practical or not showing skin. I like queen overall look myself just as well as chris design. At the same time even when suikoden females show skin the majority of them still work due to the way the world is.

Also yes Suikoden 2 was the best but seriously people need to get off its jock because it effects to much how you look at the other games which I think isn't really fair. It also doesn't help that some of you are auto biased just because S2 was in 2D and had sprites.

bakedpony

I think V had the best 108 characters. Every one had a bit of development and story. Even the shopkeepers.

I think V is the best alongisde II actually.

Gunloc gets it, designs have to appeal to people as well. A lot of times designs can turn people off a game if everyone looks generic just for the sake of being practical or not showing skin. I like queen overall look myself just as well as chris design. At the same time even when suikoden females show skin the majority of them still work due to the way the world is.
Well, as an example, I like Jeane's design in Suikoden V too, even though it is her most risqué outfit. But the design matches the character.

One thing that is so great about the Suikoden series having so many characters, is that there is a lot of variety and you can find someone for pretty much any taste. But it just happens to excel is also representing aspects of design (like a sensible yet stylish female lead) that are sadly underrepresented in the medium.

IrishNinja

I'd rather have the secrets of Yuber and Pesmerga revealed. Konami should make one final mainline Suikoden game and have the final battle between Yuber and Pesmerga, since that was how Suikoden was supposed to end.

oh wow, id wanted that flame champ prequel but now i want this, set in Harmonia.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Yuber and Pesmerga... well, we already know that both of them are supernatural being with the later always chasing on the former. We already know that they aren't "human."

Now, Jeane, on the other hand...... and Viki too! From where these two ladies came from... especially the latter.

Oh, speaking of character designs, Suikoden V >>>>>>>>>>>> all. Their designs, clothes, etc etc, are so distinctive.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It also doesn't help that some of you are auto biased just because S2 was in 2D and had sprites.
Edit: I feel my original post was a little condescending, so I've reworded it. I have to ask what's with liking sprites and sprite animations in the first place? The Tales of Hearts thread ended up being like this too. Not calling you out, but... it's just kinda odd. Maybe some people genuinely like the cohesiveness that GS2 had to offer and part of their enjoyment came from GS2's wonderful animations.

What's wrong with praising excellent animation?

There would need to be way more than just one game to satisfactorily wrap everything up IMO. There are so many hanging plot threads right now.

As for Permerga and Yuber, I'm personally not that concerned about them. I never found their plight to be that interesting, especially since so little of their feud has been explained.

B.K.

Yuber and Pesmerga... well, we already know that both of them are supernatural being with the later always chasing on the former. We already know that they aren't "human."

And the fanon explanation is that they are incarnations of the Sword and Shield. I'd still like an official ending to their story though.

I don't get this attitude... I mean, what's the problem? Buy it, play it, sell it.

You will have played one of the greatest games ever without a loss, it's not like the price will go down within a month.

It's still not a cheap game to just up and purchase. A lot of money to spend on a game you've never played before. I would have no qualms if it was a game I loved and had played already.

I think V had the best 108 characters. Every one had a bit of development and story. Even the shopkeepers.

I think V is the best alongisde II actually.

the character development was indeed great. many developers have trouble getting this right for an average RPG group. V manages to do this with over 100.

Suikoden 1 - great game, yes it was slow and unrefined in many ways, but it introduces some amazing characters and very few aren't awesome enough to appear again. Fu Su Lu's waiting in Harmonia.

Suikoden 2 - the finest RPG ever created, amazing gameplay, wonderful characters, an epic and deep story with a
hidden ending
that was worth every single damn replay. Throw in that it's an emotional roller-coaster (the only game I've shed man tears over), has a fantastic ost and Luca Blight is the big bad of anything ever. You jelly, Sephiroth?

Suikoden 3 - I never liked this when I first bought it and I can't remember why, maybe because I had to import an NTSC PS2 to actually play it and my PAL Suikoden 2 saves didn't load. I loaned it to a friend from work, also a Suikoden fan and he loved it, so I got it back and promptly loved it too. It starts very slow and has probably the worst war battle system in the series but otherwise this game is so unique and charming I don't mind even sitting through Thomas's chapters. So many plot elements introduced for the series as a whole that, sadly have yet to be resolved.

Suikoden 4 - If this had been called Generic RPG 4, it'd be a pretty good installment of that series. It's a shame they came from three amazing games to this downer, really. I understand they lost a bit of direction after Murayama's departure during 3, so it wasn't too much a shock they decided to eschew moving the overall story forward and decided to go so far into the past it's almost entirely unrelated. Still a few things seemed out of place, battle system was a step back, the story was rushed and actually made little sense (until Rhapsodia came and fixed it), many characters were dull and joined you because why not? Still it's not all bad, it has a great soundtrack, a very very cool True Rune, a nice sRPG sequel and ship battles were kind of interesting. Overall I'd say disappointing but still a good game.

Suikoden 5 - Why u no start faster? I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've wanted to replay this, only to be put off by the painfully slow intro. Still, once you are past that, this game easily reaches the epic heights of the first three games and in some ways exceeds them. Fantastic cast, perhaps the best in the series, an enjoyable story with another roller-coaster of emotions, hints to the future of the series (Jeanne) that gave the false hope we may actually get answers. Also this game has Georg Prime. That's instant win button right there.

Suikoden Tierkreis - One of the better DS RPGs and perhaps my favorite soundtrack in anything called Suikoden. Some good writing there and a few of the characters (Blades of Night's Veil) were surprisingly strong and endearing. But yeah, it's not a good Suikoden game at all, I liked it fairly well but it simply can't match up. In some ways it was hampered by the DS limitations (inability to show more than 7 character models on the screen at once forced a 4-person party, audio compression made the hero sound like he's on crystal meth etc), but in other ways it was just...bad. The story is nonsensical/convoluted and has no connection to Suikoden lore, why did they think fans of the series wanted that? Did Runes really need to be called Mark of the Stars? Worse still they latterly tried to tie this mess of a continuity to Suiko-verse saying it's one of the many parallel universes (ala World of Dragons etc). Yuck.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^ Georg Prime also appeared on Suikoden II. He's older in that, in fact, so Suikoden II got the prime version of Georg Prime.

Suikoden V's opening was fantastic; I savored every and all parts of it like fine wine. By the time the betrayalton happened it felt like a full weight of things really coming down like an avalanche (and the
accidental killing of Ferid by Arshtat
, goddamn ;___;)

Also rather sad thinking that the fate of Falena in the future, especially considering just how much trouble the Prince have to defeat in order to secure its situation under Lym...

Tiu Neo

My favorite series. I worked for six months without spending nothing, only to buy a PS2 with Suikoden 3 and a memory card.

I remember when they revealed Suikoden V, and said it would be set in the Queendom of Falena. The first thing I did was search for Georg, hahaha.

I miss so much speculating what will happen in the game and who is who only looking at the new artworks and screens :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My dream is that Suikoden VI will take place in the Dukedom of Gaien and Zelant.

Suikoden 3 is awesome and I will fight you if you disagree with me.

Just saying.

Not as awesome as II, I, and V. :)

Tiu Neo

My dream is that Suikoden VI will take place in the Dukedom of Gaien and Kaleka.

I could see that happening before Harmonia. I also would like a game on the Nameless Lands, I really liked the exotic setting on the Grasslands. Also, so little is known about it, that it could make a very interessing and flexible setting.

Not as awesome as II, I, and V. :)

I, II and V are the better games, but the Trinity system is awesome and I wish Suikoden VI uses something like it. Seeing the same story from other viewpoints is really interessing.

kswiston

I, II and V are the better games, but the Trinity system is awesome and I wish Suikoden VI uses something like it. Seeing the same story from other viewpoints is really interessing.

The trinity system needs to be reworked a bit I think. Honestly, at times playing some of the trinity chapters I just wanted to get back to playing as Thomas, recruiting characters and building my castle/Inn, even though most of the story happened elsewhere. I think that paring it down to two viewpoints in the beginning half of the game, each with the ability to recruit players to their side and and build up a home base, would help.

Cornbread78

My dream is that Suikoden VI will take place in the Dukedom of Gaien and Zelant.

I don't think we're ever going to see another Suikoden, unless the below takes place unfortunately...

"...id love to see them just sell the franchise to a company that wants it one day

YES, that is exactly what they need to do, but I think sales were so bad for 4&5 in NA, that nobody may take a chance and pick it up. I would love to see SE (Tri-Ace) pick it up to get back into the JRPG business, (same with Grandia), There just aren't many turn based JRPGs on the market anymore. SO sad... very very sad...

Jeane in HD would be delicious...

espher

For the longest time, I've always held the opinion that Suikoden III was great for an RPG, but just "okay" for a Suikoden, if that makes any sense at all. I like a lot about it, but coming down from the high of Suikoden and Suikoden II it was just "alright".

Tiu Neo

I don't think we're ever going to see another Suikoden, unless the below takes place unfortunately...

YES, that is exactly what they need to do, but I think sales were so bad for 4&5 in NA, that nobody may take a chance and pick it up. I would love to see SE (Tri-Ace) pick it up to get back into the JRPG business, (same with Grandia), There just aren't many turn based JRPGs on the market anymore. SO sad... very very sad...

Jeane in HD would be delicious...

I... I don't want to believe Suikoden is dead :( I doubt Konami would sell the franchise too :(

For the longest time, I've always held the opinion that Suikoden III was great for an RPG, but just "okay" for a Suikoden, if that makes any sense at all. I like a lot about it, but coming down from the high of Suikoden and Suikoden II it was just "alright".

Yeah, I know. I would have liked Suikoden IV more if it wasn't called Suikoden.

I randomly picked up first game for rent in a rad mom and pop store during ps1 hayday, the store had a huge wall full of the game boxes and i would always seek out the rpgs back then and see if they sounded cool....i grabbed suikoden and vandal hearts and took them both home one weekend, ended up buying both and have spent lots of time with the games ever since.

I have 100% Suikoden 1

I have gotten 108 stars on 1, 2, and 4 (pretty sure anyways)

I have beaten 1, 2, 3, 4

I started tactics and maybe put in 5ish hours and put it on hold indefinitely, didnt like it much, but could be talked back into it eventually.

I have started 5 like forever ago but didn't get further than maybe first 2 hours...at some point I'll go back and attempt it.

God I love this series a ton, have Orrizonte soundtrack for 2 as well as the 4 disc set for Suikoden 2...would love to eventually have more of these soundtracks. Remember the first time I heard the main theme to 3 and still love it.

I love the first game a ton and routinely go back and 100% it whenever I feel the need, maybe once a year or so, I feel like it's always overshadowed by 2....and I guess with good enough reason. I have maybe played 2 twice, and should go back into that at some point and try to 100% that too, I remember just not going for all the cooking recipes, etc...that kind of stuff...and I also remember losing lots of cooking battles, way more than I won. I think I was waiting on a replay when it came to then psp....then it didnt....holding out hope so I can add it to my vita one day. The third game came out on ps2 and blew my mind when it hit in a 3d world. I think the more I played it the more it didnt click with me but still played until the end and still appreciated the characters and the story. 4 was for sure the worst of the bunch but still was ok with it enough to play it through to completion and 108 stars and lots of the extra stuff along the way.

God I miss and love this series so much....I miss the epic battles in S1 and having my own actual castle/headquarters...I remember how much those things in the first game blew my mind....and I loved the 6 man parties and the combo attacks and the runes, etc....oh man, so much love!

Isn't it possible for Konami to outsource this to the former team even though its disbanded? Similar to what they're doing with metal gear revengeance.

kswiston

Isn't it possible for Konami to outsource this to the former team even though its disbanded? Similar to what they're doing with metal gear revengeance.

From what I have read, it seems like no one at Konami is all that interested in continuing the original storyline, hence the DS and PSP entry having nothing to do with them.

Tiu Neo

I randomly picked up first game for rent in a rad mom and pop store during ps1 hayday, the store had a huge wall full of the game boxes and i would always seek out the rpgs back then and see if they sounded cool....i grabbed suikoden and vandal hearts and took them both home one weekend, ended up buying both and have spent lots of time with the games ever since.

I have 100% Suikoden 1

I have gotten 108 stars on 1, 2, and 4 (pretty sure anyways)

I have beaten 1, 2, 3, 4

I started tactics and maybe put in 5ish hours and put it on hold indefinitely, didnt like it much, but could be talked back into it eventually.

I have started 5 like forever ago but didn't get further than maybe first 2 hours...at some point I'll go back and attempt it.

God I love this series a ton, have Orrizonte soundtrack for 2 as well as the 4 disc set for Suikoden 2...would love to eventually have more of these soundtracks. Remember the first time I heard the main theme to 3 and still love it.

I love the first game a ton and routinely go back and 100% it whenever I feel the need, maybe once a year or so, I feel like it's always overshadowed by 2....and I guess with good enough reason. I have maybe played 2 twice, and should go back into that at some point and try to 100% that too, I remember just not going for all the cooking recipes, etc...that kind of stuff...and I also remember losing lots of cooking battles, way more than I won. I think I was waiting on a replay when it came to then psp....then it didnt....holding out hope so I can add it to my vita one day. The third game came out on ps2 and blew my mind when it hit in a 3d world. I think the more I played it the more it didnt click with me but still played until the end and still appreciated the characters and the story. 4 was for sure the worst of the bunch but still was ok with it enough to play it through to completion and 108 stars and lots of the extra stuff along the way.

God I miss and love this series so much....I miss the epic battles in S1 and having my own actual castle/headquarters...I remember how much those things in the first game blew my mind....and I loved the 6 man parties and the combo attacks and the runes, etc....oh man, so much love!

I got the japanese version of I+II PSP. Don't know japanese, but could play most of it from memory, hahaha D:

Also, you didn't play V? It's the closest from the two first games style. Also, lots of fanservice. It starts slow, but really gets good after a few hours :D

kswiston

I got the japanese version of I+II PSP. Don't know japanese, but could play most of it from memory, hahaha D:

Also, you didn't play V? It's the closest from the two first games style. Also, lots of fanservice. It starts slow, but really gets good after a few hours :D

I ripped my original PS1 disk of Suikoden 2 for use on my PSP, and I have to say that the game looks really good on the small screen. If Konami ever gets off their asses and releases Suiko 2 on PSN, I'll double dip just for support.

Tiu Neo

I ripped my original PS1 disk of Suikoden 2 for use on my PSP, and I have to say that the game looks really good on the small screen. If Konami ever gets off their asses and releases Suiko 2 on PSN, I'll double dip just for support.

Yep. I made my friends buy Suikoden, when it was released. :D

It's really a shame the "remakes" where never released on the west :( There are small changes that make a lot of difference.

I only played V and really enjoyed it...

I suppose i COULD get 1 on PSN and give it a shot but then how has it aged? I also don't even feel like it since that would only make me want to play II afterwards and since we're never gonna get it ugh... :(

A.E Suggs

Edit: I feel my original post was a little condescending, so I've reworded it. I have to ask what's with liking sprites and sprite animations in the first place? The Tales of Hearts thread ended up being like this too. Not calling you out, but... it's just kinda odd. Maybe some people genuinely like the cohesiveness that GS2 had to offer and part of their enjoyment came from GS2's wonderful animations.

What's wrong with praising excellent animation?

Actually my post wasn't targeted at you either :). Anyway nothing is wrong with praising 2D even I love 2D more than 3D even though it doesn't always seem like it. I love my fighters in 2D more than 3d, I like my anime games like bleach or dbz in 2d rather than 3d. See my problem is that most of the people that like 2D seem like there can't ever be any common ground between liking 2D and 3D. Everytime I usually see someone call out this game or that game should be 2D they aways bash 3D even when the 3D isn't bad and that's what I have a problem with.

ya, I've always heard that...and I'm stuck in the slow beginning...but ya one day I will actually devote time, grab my guide and go for it.

also, another fond memory...I remember renting the original game one of the several times I would do so for my birthday, I had a few friends over and they spent the night....and sometime that night I beat it for the first time...I took pictures of the end screen on my tv and everything. I also remember being slightly bummed when the game shows you you missed stars of destiny when theres no epilogue at the end and blank slates, etc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe I should get around playing IV. I kinda don't like it though but it's the only mainline Suikoden I haven't finished.

Any tips on how to beat this game quick while getting all the 108 stars? I wish the difficulty would be like Suikoden V's: being able to kill bosses in one turn only.

Tiu Neo

I only played V and really enjoyed it...

I suppose i COULD get 1 on PSN and give it a shot but then how has it aged? I also don't even feel like it since that would only make me want to play II afterwards and since we're never gonna get it ugh... :(

Eh... I love the first game, but some things on it where arcaic even in 1996. No dash button, for example, and having to use a rune slot to dash (each character had only one).

ya, I've always heard that...and I'm stuck in the slow beginning...but ya one day I will actually devote time, grab my guide and go for it.

also, another fond memory...I remember renting the original game one of the several times I would do so for my birthday, I had a few friends over and they spent the night....and sometime that night I beat it for the first time...I took pictures of the end screen on my tv and everything. I also remember being slightly bummed when the game shows you you missed stars of destiny when theres no epilogue at the end and blank slates, etc.

Ugh. I remember the first time I finished Suikoden II. One star missing. Clive.

Then, when I first played the first Suikoden (after II), I visited each place after each event, fearing I could lose a character. (Not that it would have helped me in II, since Clive's recruitment is timed, but I didn't know that at the time)

Maybe I should get around playing IV. I kinda don't like it though but it's the only mainline Suikoden I haven't finished.

Any tips on how to beat this game quick while getting all the 108 stars? I wish the difficulty would be like Suikoden V's: being able to kill bosses in one turn only.

Use Kika and (kinda spoilers? I don't know, it's an old game)
Snowe
every time you can. They kick ass, and I remember they made the game a bit easier for me.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Suikoden 1 - 3 happen in sequential order going North. So technically if we get another Suikoden in the main timeline their are still The Nameless Lands before Harmonia. So i think there should be 2 more Suikoden's before we see Harmonia if they follow the sequential order of going North in the Map.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
There's a fan made map that was taken from info in each suikoden game, I'm not sure if Konami has released an official map of the whole world or not.

daoster

This thread has made me depressed because there will NEVER be another Suikoden in the main timeline.

NEVER. what once was my hope has turned to despair and depression.

Anyways... 3 >= 2 (depending on my mood) > 1=4(+Tierkreis)=5

I really love 3.

Tiu Neo

Suikoden 1 - 3 happen in sequential order going North. So technically if we get another Suikoden in the main timeline their are still The Nameless Lands before Harmonia. So i think there should be 2 more Suikoden's before we see Harmonia if they follow the sequential order of going North in the Map.

Yeah, but IV-V are going south. :D Also, we DID visit Harmonia, on
Suikogaiden 2 and Suikoden III. :p

If we get a new mainline Suikoden (and that is a big if), it would probably be made by the team or parts of the team that made IV and/or V.

Is there a canon aggregated world map for Suiko 1-5?

Never saw a canon map, but once I saw a fanmade map that was very good showing the known areas and how they are conected. Unfortunately, I lost it, will see if I can find it tonight. :(

Tiu Neo

You can say Suikoden 4 and 5 also go north to each other :p. Falena is north of Razril :p. so my theory stands, jajajajaja.

You sure? For some reason, I tought it was south of Razril, but my memory is a bit hazy.

If that's true, then it's going north, following the chronological order. Interessing.

EDIT: Found the fanmade map:

gDbZF.jpg

So... Falena is South, at least on this map. Now I'm not sure :S

Top Bottom