• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
The fact that it's by the same manga-ka as Working! and constantly gets compared to it makes me feel like I should probably check that series out at some point... (But how can it be as good without Hasebe?)

I like both but Working is better from what I've seen so far. You will definitely enjoy it if you like SxS and vice versa

Theonik

Paranoia Agent 11
I'm glad we see the detective again. I had started to think they'd forgotten about him.
He seems to be doing fine, dude's got some balls. Though his wife ;_;
Also his assistant is now some sort of hobo.

sonicmj1

Aoi Bungaku - No Longer Human 3

I might like the introductory narration to each episode more than the anime itself. Even if it's trading one sort of experience of soul-destroying social anxiety for another, it's more comfortable to face that in a less-intimate way. Better to hear about Dazai Osamu drinking himself stupid because he doesn't know what to say to the guy fixing his electrical outlets than to watch Yozo drinking himself stupid for 10 minutes.

ig2JOtaNmoyLU.jpg

You know, that's a great question.

I brought up how women are treated in this story in my last post, and it's still kind of weird. None of them seem to have any agency beyond wanting to take pity on and care for our tortured hero. Maybe they have their reasons because of some ambiguous sort of loneliness that they need to fill by mothering him, but it does make those relationships feel more vacuous than they otherwise would. At least his asshole friend has the motivation of being a greedy asshole.

iAZtby9JTYsB.jpg

Film cameras in 1933 sucked, apparently.

Something I've found interesting, as a student of this era of Japanese history, is how Japan's imperialist expansion into Manchuria has taken place in the background of this story. It started in 1929, when Japan was already trying to make its presence felt, and in the intervening years, the nation reached full war footing and seized control of Manchuria. The protagonist could hardly be less connected to it, which seems to be the point. Society takes its men and sends them to fight without caring about their fate.

Only one episode left for this technically-proficient joyless exercise in narrative.

New thread already? Time certainly flies and makes things worse for me because I'm three weeks behind on shows! I need to catch up, especially with Uchouten and Rozen Maiden.

Also, happy birthday, Corvo!

cajunator

Banned
I like both but Working is better from what I've seen so far. You will definitely enjoy it if you like SxS and vice versa

Working is definitely better and in a more fun environment, but S x S has its moments.

Paranoia Agent 11
I'm glad we see the detective again. I had started to think they'd forgotten about him.

The endgame is coming :O

Paranoia Agent 11

hohoho things are about to become crazy.

Servant x Service is a pretty funny SoL anime. Wow this could be the Maou Sama of the season. The name made it seem like it was one of those weird maid anime's where they serve some teenage kid but its not. Its a SoL set in the workplace.

Gumball is better than most currently running anime.

I was surprised how funny some of the episodes were.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 329 – Two-Man Team
tumblr_msnkluUCf11qbxqfpo1_500.png

Kurama will never let Naruto forget, and even funnier was when Yagura asked Naruto how it was like to kiss Sasuke. Laughed at that whole scene with him, easily best Jinchuriki and most underrated. Unfortunately, Im not an armchair animator, but I think it looked a bit better than the usual Shippuden episodes especially
when he accessed Kuramas power

cajunator

Banned
Servant x Service is a pretty funny SoL anime. Wow this could be the Maou Sama of the season. The name made it seem like it was one of those weird maid anime's where they serve some teenage kid but its not. Its a SoL set in the workplace.

I was surprised how funny some of the episodes were.

Well yeah its slice of life. Its very similar in feel to Working, except no Yamada.

Pooya

titan - 21

shit, that was heavy

need something to wash away all that stuff >.<

Free! - 9

yay, so cute~ all that shipping

Theonik

Paranoia Agent 13
That's one way to end this show I suppose. I feel like it jumped the shark big time.
I don't know what to think about the series as a whole. Some episodes were good others not so good, parts of it were good looking others butt ugly. Overally I'd say it was OK?

Paranoia Agent 13

That's one way to end this show I suppose. I feel like it jumped the shark big time.
I don't know what to think about the series as a whole. Some episodes were good others not so good, parts of it were good looking others butt ugly. Overally I'd say it was OK?

I don't remember the show strongly enough to comment on its production values (though if memory serves I think some moments of ugliness were entirely intentional to portray psychological states instead of reality), but I do agree with you that the ending was a mess. This show marks the moment where Kon's obsession with illusions began to overpower his good artistic sense.

Shergal

Paranoia Agent 13

Episode 8 was both the best and the best-looking, rite?

Tenumi

Banned
Squid Girl (English Dub): 02

So yeah, I watched this at midnight last night, so forgive me if I can't ink and remember every squiding bit. But so far, the show's been tentacular. Can't wait to watch more.

Theonik

This show marks the moment where Kon's obsession with illusions began to overpower his good artistic sense.
I was going to add to my impression post that this felt like a sort of precursor to Paprica in a way with regards to how it seems to play illusions for illusion's sake. Kind of disappointing considering the praise I've heard about the series.

I don't remember the show strongly enough to comment on its production values (though if memory serves I think some moments of ugliness were entirely intentional to portray psychological states instead of reality)
Mostly talking about some instances of bad backgrounds and such. They weren't frequent and I forgot to take screens so I don't have specific examples to post. It was the least of the show's issues I think.

Samurai Flamenco had a nice site update with new visual and tv spot and op ed song names (msg to viewers).
OP: Spyair - Just One Life
ED: Mineral&#9733;Miracle&#9733;Muse idol group (Mari Maya, Moe Marita and Mizuki Misawa (voiced by Haruka Tomatsu, MAO and Erii Yamazaki)) - "Romantic TIME"

Cast:
Masayoshi Hazama: Toshiki Masuda
Hidenori Goto: Tomokazu Sugita
Mari Maya: Haruka Tomatsu
Mizuki Misawa: MAO
Moe Morita: Erii Yamazaki
Joji Kaname: Juurouta Kosugi
Jun Harazuka: Toru Ohkawa
Sumi Ishihara: Chie Nakamura
Akira Konno: Satoshi Mikami

Jex

Paranoia Agent 13

That's the inconsistency of television anime for you! I think it was pretty interesting to see a movie director come down and make a TV series in the middle of their film series. You don't see that very often.

BluWacky

Samurai Flamenco had a nice site update with new visual and tv spot and op ed song names (msg to viewers).

It's also worth noting that the TV spot is half for for Galileidonna - I can't do the whole art extraction thing but the new key art showcased therein is also on said show's website, with the promise of a PV on the 19th (so two weeks from now).

I'm looking forward to both shows. I am slightly spooked by the Fractale-esque vibes I get from Galileidonna - the plot sounds like a fun adventure, and this new TV spot has great music and an interesting vibe, but the character designs for the sisters make me jump to unwelcome conclusions about their characters.

Samumenco, on the other hand, just sounds different. I wasn't expecting that very muted colour palette either - it reminds me of B-tier shows like Rescue Wings, unfortunately - but I think the show has a lot of potential to surprise.

CorvoSol

I shall sing you the Birthday Dirge of my people.

My own birthday was just a few days ago actually :3

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FELIX ORION!

NOT FOR ANOTHER THIRTY MINUTES FOOL

It had already been my birthday for 15 minutes when I said that!

Happy Birthday Corvo, may you get plenty of tomatoes and oranges.

My tomato crop did not fare well this year, :(

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AH AH AH! OMG OMG OMG! WHY IS THAT AN AAAAAAAAAAA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! BORSLHKFHHNDGNLAJSLFLBLJSFLKSNAJSKJFKL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: P

:lol

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CORVY-KUN!!

HPBDAY Corvo!!!

Happy birthday, Corvo!

30 minutes have passed.

It is now 12 AM in Alaska.

Happy Birthday Corvo!

Happy Day of Birth Corvo-kun!

Happy Corvoday!

Happy birthday fellow gaffer!

Happy Birthday! :D

Also, happy birthday, Corvo!

Happy Bday!!!

Happy birthday Corvo.

Happy Bday.

Happy birthday Corvo.

Happy Birthday Corvo
. lol

Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone!!

Something something orange tomatoes something something HAAAAHHH WHAAAAAAAT

Watch Star Driver and/or Zegapain.

I haven't heard of Zegapain yet. What's that about?

Theonik

That's the inconsistency of television anime for you! I think it was pretty interesting to see a movie director come down and make a TV series in the middle of their film series. You don't see that very often.
I guess, it was interesting to see how a director used to working on OVA episodes and Movies handles a TV production. Especially one of Kon's calibre though, the result was mostly unimpressive though expected given these facts. If Kon was still alive it would also be interesting to see how a second series from him would have turned out, though I think many of the problems with the series carried over to his later films. (sans the weird pacing of course)

jbug617

Banned
BroCon 10

All I want to know from this show if there is one brother who wins at the end. I have a feeling (probably what is going to happen) no one wins and they all still compete.

God I want TTGL to go on Toonami.

I've seen it two times (+ 1 movie) but I've never had a group viewing experience with it and I think it could be amaaaaaazinggggggg

This. Watching a bunch of people screaming at the many awesome moments in that show for the first time would be like a dream come true.

Also, a happy birthday to CorvoSol!

OP: Spyair - Just One Life
ED: Mineral&#9733;Miracle&#9733;Muse idol group (Mari Maya, Moe Marita and Mizuki Misawa (voiced by Haruka Tomatsu, MAO and Erii Yamazaki)) - "Romantic TIME"

Cast:
Masayoshi Hazama: Toshiki Masuda
Hidenori Goto: Tomokazu Sugita
Mari Maya: Haruka Tomatsu
Mizuki Misawa: MAO
Moe Morita: Erii Yamazaki
Joji Kaname: Juurouta Kosugi
Jun Harazuka: Toru Ohkawa
Sumi Ishihara: Chie Nakamura
Akira Konno: Satoshi Mikami

What os this show about? Genre?

What is this show about? Genre?

Action, from Baccano Director, Takahiro Omori,.

The tagline for the show reads: “To those ‘adults’ who don’t want to become adults…” and “Hero will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil.”

Lead: “Masayoshi Hazama: 19 years old. A model for a male fashion magazine. His grandfather loved tokusatsu (special effects) hero shows, and that love rubbed off onto him, and he has longed to be a hero since he was a child. At long last due to his grandfather’s invention he debuts as the new hero “Samurai Flamenco.” Will he be the one to bring down the hammer of justice on the evil of the world?””

Quasar

Anyone else watchjng Servant x Service? It starts off slow but it's a great slice of life show in an untraditional setting (Think Working! with office workers.)

Edit: now that I think about it, I would bet these shows are by the same people. The art style is very similar

Yeah. I really like it. Though I don't know if I'd call it a SoL. Its a sitcom.

Tenumi

Banned
To LOVE-ru Darkness: 01

I had to start it sometime.... Anyway, we begin with Momo waking Rito up in bed (NSFW), followed by Everybody's first, second or third Deviluke Princess, Lala (NSFW) making her episode appearance. The rest of the episode was spent recapping what went on at the end of Motto/the manga, until brainwashed schoolkids attacked Yami. Yes. She held her own, and Momo protected Rito (NSFW), leading to the series plot. Oh yeah, and the Harem plan.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 17

Usagi is in thoughts about Mamories Chiba, and actually ran into him when she was running, ALL THIS DRAMA FOR THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

And Rei found out who Venus was, only to have her disappointed in Mars.

I like how they got called to assist Sailor Mars, but everyone was still dicking around with DRAMA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom