• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake Announced - Coming November 17, 2023 | Nintendo Direct

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hey, great that we are comparing box art covers. The actual character models in the game look like shit. Get fucked with your passive aggressive answer twat.

9zl91Nw.jpg
BP88Wq5.jpg

They look squished, it looks bad and not how the original vision was.
Idk if you intended to make these screenshots look bad or for a while because I was amazed looking at them lol. Thank you!

Can the Super Mario RPG remake become the best selling Mario RPG? I think it can.

Mario RPG sales
  1. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 4.56m
  2. Super Paper Mario* - 4.23m
  3. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 3.34m
  4. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 2.68m
  5. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2.48m
  6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 2.15m
  7. Super Mario RPG - 2.14m
  8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 1.91m
  9. Mario & Luigi: Partner in Time - 1.73m
  10. Paper Mario - 1.37m
  11. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - 1.08m
Every other entry sold below the 1m mark.

* not really a RPG

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I get you, I always wished Donkey Kong Country Returns would have looked more like this:

5fa4h7t.jpg

Than what we got:

wG8mLf1.jpg

There is a clear lack of understanding for what kind of style and vibe the originals went for.
No, there is a full understanding that the old renders were horrendous. We should actually be thankful the SNES had its limitations. It spared us the horror of having faithful renderings of those concept models on our screens. Square’s efforts were vastly inferior to Rare’s too, to the point you have to do a double take at half the sprites in SMRPG and still you’ll need to look at the hi-res render to understand what the fuck you’re looking at.

You're not going to write SMRPG fanfics.
Last famous words…
You just know some people have their fanfics saved on a floppy disc tucked in a safe, ready to be posted on Reddit the day this remake launches.

You're posting on a video game board and don't already own a Switch!?!?!? What are you doing, waiting for Sony/Microsoft to make one???
You’d be surprised how many people are actually waiting for just that.

Why did it take so long to bring Mario RPG to Europe?
Easy. Consoles weren’t big in Europe before the PlayStation, and Nintendo was outperformed by Sega. By 1996 nobody in Europe still cared about the SNES, JRPGs had abysmal sales anyway, and the game would have to be translated to be understandable by the target audience of consoles. We barely saw JRPGs released in Europe at the time, and 1996 was way beyond the console’s expiration date in the continent.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Can the Super Mario RPG remake become the best selling Mario RPG? I think it can.

Mario RPG sales
  1. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 4.56m
  2. Super Paper Mario* - 4.23m
  3. Paper Mario: The Origami King* - 3.34m
  4. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 2.68m
  5. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2.48m
  6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 2.15m
  7. Super Mario RPG - 2.14m
  8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 1.91m
  9. Mario & Luigi: Partner in Time - 1.73m
  10. Paper Mario - 1.37m
  11. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - 1.08m
Every other entry sold below the 1m mark.

* not really a RPG
With a few exceptions, Mario RPGs are Metroid- tier when it comes to sales. It’s amazing Nintendo bothered to make so many. This remake could easily become the series’s top seller before the end of this year.

TTYD didn’t even make 2 millions? That’s one loud fanbase considering how small it is.

Fuz

Banned
It’s one of the many usual GAF outcomes.

1)Ask for years for a remake of their favorite title.
2)Finally get the remake
3)Complain and nitpick until they convince themselves not to buy it.
Not that this concers me or my opinions about Mario RPG, but asking for a remake of their favourite title doesn't mean asking for mediocrity. It's asking for a remake done well.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Those sons of bitches. I've been able to resist buying a Switch for its entire existence, and Metroid Prime almost got me, but now I am pushed past the tipping point and will have to invest in one because I got to have this game in my life.
Well, I put my money where my mouth is. I went out and bought a switch with 6 games today in anticipation of this game. They totally got me.

I haven’t seen it mentioned but Super Mario RPG is in the usual Pokémon release spot. The week before Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Clearly, Nintendo thinks Mario RPG will have some legs sales wise.

The two questions I have is…

1.). What if Mario RPG outsells FFXVI or FFVIIR? That would be an interesting moment for Square and Nintendo.

2.) What if Mario RPG outsells all first party Nintendo RPGS not named Pokémon. Honestly, it could outsell the all three Xenoblade games combined on Switch. If so, will this lead to some form of re-evaluation going forward from Nintendo.

It will likely, outsell Paper Mario TOK. Will it make Nintendo
re-evaulate Paper Mario franchise and how they handle it?

Not that this concers me or my opinions about Mario RPG, but asking for a remake of their favourite title doesn't mean asking for mediocrity. It's asking for a remake done well.
So how was the beta?

Also Demon’s Souls Remake wasn’t mediocre at all, yet you would barely be able to tell this from quite a few GAF takes.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They already made some corrections to the game. This one boss' name translated to margarita. In the old game she was not holding a margarita. Now, she does.

Also, the Samus Aran statue in the game now has the Metroid Prime outfit.

DeVeAn

I’m hyped but do we all remember how short this game is? I know play time isn’t end all. Hope they spice it up with additional content.

taizuke

I'm surprised Peach is using her frying pan weapon in the trailer. I'm sure it'll become an issue near release if it isn't already.

I haven’t seen it mentioned but Super Mario RPG is in the usual Pokémon release spot. The week before Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

1.). What if Mario RPG outsells FFXVI or FFVIIR? That would be an interesting moment for Square and Nintendo.

2.) What if Mario RPG outsells all first party Nintendo RPGS not named Pokémon. Honestly, it could outsell the all three Xenoblade games combined on Switch. If so, will this lead to some form of re-evaluation going forward from Nintendo.

I’d be very surprised if it outsold any of the FF games. But I sure hope whatever happens, Nintendo sees its success and stops trying to shoehorn Paper Mario into other genres. There are plenty of ways to continually evolve the combat and IP without deviating from its RPG roots. An opportunity as the big Nintendo game this holiday is as good a chance as it will get, even if some of the hype gets taken by Wonder releasing just a few weeks before.

I do think the strong 2023 year will hurt it overall, since there will be a media frenzy for Starfield, Spiderman 2, FF7R Rebirth, and I’m expecting another big surprise or two will come up between now and the end of the year. If SMRPG makes any noise I would consider that a huge success and hopefully Nintendo and SE would too.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

It will likely, outsell Paper Mario TOK. Will it make Nintendo re-evaulate Paper Mario franchise and how they handle it?
I’d say, not a chance in hell for 1 and 3. 2 is easily doable.

As posted above, Mario RPGs never broke 5 million. This one has a chance to, but Switch is at its life’s end and there’s no shortage of games. I don’t see this remake competing with FF, even in my wildest dreams.

The Mario & Luigi saga has effectively picked up the baton of the first two Paper Marios and quite frankly, I really liked the latest PM games even if the whole internet apparently hasn’t (mainly due to crushed expectations than the games’ actual quality, but this IS the internet). It’s pretty clear Nintendo want their Mario RPGs to be quite light on the JRPG elements. They know this remake is a nostalgia operation and I doubt they’ll suddenly convert to the classic SquareSoft formula.

With a few exceptions, Mario RPGs are Metroid- tier when it comes to sales. It’s amazing Nintendo bothered to make so many. This remake could easily become the series’s top seller before the end of this year.

TTYD didn’t even make 2 millions? That’s one loud fanbase considering how small it is.
Gamecube had a small install base of just 21.74 million.

Celine

Wow the announcement of Super Mario RPG sure caused a lot of commotion.
Expected nothing less from a game which had such thought-provoking ad.

USXPnWr.jpg

It's a parody of an infamous ad for Final Fantasy VII

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
What 6 did you pick up?
Mario Kart
Mario 3d All-Stars
Metroid Dread
Metroid Prime
Links Awakening
Mario Odyssey

Found someone selling Mario 3d Allstars, Mario Kart, and Odyssey all for $80 bucks total which is why I ended up with those.

I haven't been following the switch whatsoever so I had no idea 3D all stars was so lack luster. I played a bit of Mario 64 and it seemed like a 1:1 port of the 64 ROM. I have a Bravia x900h TV and I downloaded an emulator app directly to it which runs it at a higher framerate and resolution than what the switch does which is pathetic.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Let go of empty hope for Paper Mario, it's been dead for along time, Nintendo themselves want it dead.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
As posted above, Mario RPGs never broke 5 million.
It is shocking how low the sales numbers were back in those days. Mortal Kombat 2 is, iirc, under 5 million on both platforms!
No, there is a full understanding that the old renders were horrendous. We should actually be thankful the SNES had its limitations. It spared us the horror of having faithful renderings of those concept models on our screens.
I am shocked that anyone could hate this stuff.

e5qKhgp.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The reason why it was not released to Europe is that the American and Japanese SNES component was very similar, Due to the construction of analog TVs, in Europe it was the PAL region, which used 25fps, in America and Japan they used NTSC televisions that used 30 FPS, that's why the SNES in Europe was very different, so it had to be adapted from the original version, in addition to the CHIP SA1 that uses Super Mario RPG, it had improved RAM and improved clock speed, towards that it was more fluid, also as the launch of N64 was close, it was expensive to adapt the game for the European audience, this was the real reason that Super Mario RPG.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

USXPnWr.jpg

Damn, those classic videogame ads were soo good.

And yeah, as mentioned before, it's awesome how Squaresoft poked fun of themselves.

Good stuff.

Scotty W

Gold Member
But Mario’s RPGs have appeared on handhelds too, and sure they didn’t set the world on fire.
True.

I was referring to the 16 bit gen. I would have assumed that MK2 would have sold at least 10 mil. But this is true of all titles during that time- relatively low sales.

So I find it surprising that SMRPG has sold as well as it has, AND that the series has sold as poorly as it has.

BlackTron

True.

I was referring to the 16 bit gen. I would have assumed that MK2 would have sold at least 10 mil. But this is true of all titles during that time- relatively low sales.

So I find it surprising that SMRPG has sold as well as it has, AND that the series has sold as poorly as it has.

Personally speaking, SMRPG is the only one I actually purchased new at the store, yeah back in 96. Perhaps it helped being a Square RPG on SNES during a time they were on top of the world, with even more visibility from Mario. While also being the first one, and simply awesome. It also had 3D Donkey Kong style sprites and I think everyone's head turned at that to check out the game after DK gave us a taste, this is the first title with 3D Mario renders on the box...I think it was very notable/marketable

Woopah

It won't lead to any revaluation about Xenoblade, Nintendo knows the franchise is not as big as Mario.

There's a chance this could outsell FFXVI on PS5 alone, but I expect FFXVI to sell more long term when ported to more platforms.

Gambit2483

USXPnWr.jpg

Mag ad reference (for those wondering)

MfW1QXU.jpg

E-Cat

Thank god for that. I have no idea how anyone could like that early CGI nightmare fuel today.
Is that your takeaway? He meant that the new DKC games lack a play between light and dark, i.e., contrast, which makes the art less striking. There's kind of a similar thing going on with the Super Mario RPG remake.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Is that your takeaway? He meant that the new DKC games lack a play between light and dark, i.e., contrast, which makes the art less striking. There's kind of a similar thing going on with the Super Mario RPG remake.
Of course that’s my takeaway.

If someone says they want the next Zelda to look like WW my takeaway would be that they want it to look like WW. Not just cellshaded in general.

E-Cat

Of course that’s my takeaway.

If someone says they want the next Zelda to look like WW my takeaway would be that they want it to look like WW. Not just cellshaded in general.
Anyway, my point is there's something deeper there that goes beyond mere early 90s CG aesthetic.

Top Bottom