• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake Announced - Coming November 17, 2023 | Nintendo Direct

flying_sq

This is my favorite game of all time. I am optimistic, but I just like the original so much it will probably taint my view of this one. That being said, if there is a special edition or something, I will try and get it.

B_Boss

I have literally had dreams of this…..(and Geno being in Smash…) but my god….this is unreal.

I'll see you and raise
😅

The (original MarioRPG) score being composed by THE legendary Yoko Shimomura at that 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥.

Last edited:

NeptuneCL

Is Super Mario RPG really that good or is it just nostalgia?
Actually, is pretty good!

A good amount of fun, comic situations, truly unique OST and nice story.

It is not a long game though, but, who knows what things they put now. It's a bit of nostalgia too, but for me at least, this game introduces me into the turn-based RPG back in those days.

If you are waiting for a game like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy in terms of duration, maybe this is not a game for you.

Last edited:

PaulBizkit

As others have already said, this is my favorite game of all time. I have it on snes (played it for te first time when in was 11) and also have the japanese version, so i'll see if i can grab both versions if the box arts are different enough (i dont know if that'll be the case since the us boxart is already similar to the og japanese one).

Im not really expecting anything more than a visual improvement and maybe the original smrpg mario cameo in that dresser in booster tower. What i want is more recognition for this title, and that maybe we'll bury paper mario and continue with smrpg as the only mario rpg franchise.

Ok, im lying, im expecting them to add the old item images as icons for the items in this remake. I just want this game to come out already!

SMRPG_KerokeroCola.png

rsouzadk

Till this day i have the original snes Super Mario RPG, a snes, and a crt tv just to play this and some other games.

Damn, this is too good to be true. Im on my 30s and this game, back in time, was one of the my favs of all time. Played it a lot, even deleting saves to start over. The graphics, music, gameplay, at that time, were absolutely amazing, even for today tbh.

Maybe im getting/renting a switch just to play this.

Nintendo are fucking geniouses.

Shifty1897

What the hell are people on about regarding the art style, talking about how the old pixel art looked better. The old game used the Donkey Kong Country gimmick of taking low resolution screenshots of 3D character models generated on 1995 computers and using that for sprites.

This is better in every way.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Bruh… did this game even age ok?
Legit question.

Played it ages ago for about 5 hours or so.
I prefered the gamecube and first gba game.. oh and the first wii one

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Bruh… did this game even age ok?
Legit question.

Played it ages ago for about 5 hours or so.
I prefered the gamecube and first gba game.. oh and the first wii one

It's pretty simple, and surprisingly short. There is a lot of nostalgia, but it's pretty fun. It can easily be beat in 10 hours, the first time through.

I never beat Culex.

BlackTron

This is my favorite turn-based RPG of all time and I was really grumpy that we made it all the way to 2023 with still no way to play it on Switch, actually this title's GLARING absence amongst the sea of retro titles and collections was a big reason I accepted Switch would just not be sufficient on its own for the old game fix. Guess we know why they never added it now...

This doesn't really stand to benefit from buttons and QOL improvements as much as Link's Awakening did. So if they don't add anything cool I'll be kinda disappointed. Original holds up and sprite based graphics are still fine. So if it is literally nothing but the original game in 3D graphics, it's not that exciting but I'd still get it and play it. The real excitement comes from Nintendo actually giving a crap about this game and maybe branching out from Paper Mario into some other Mario RPG options...I'm ready

saintjules

It's really that great? I'm always wanted to play it because everyone said it's a masterpiece.

Not a masterpiece, but it was a great game. When I first played it back in 1996, it was the first true turned based RPG I played before I went onto FFVI (III in the US) and Chrono Trigger.

I loved the time based attacks and timed defense. To this day I still press it in other turn based games thinking it would work.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I get you, I always wished Donkey Kong Country Returns would have looked more like this:

5fa4h7t.jpg

Than what we got:

wG8mLf1.jpg

There is a clear lack of understanding for what kind of style and vibe the originals went for.
Not a lack of understanding as much as the new games (RPG and DK Country) wanting to match the current look for their characters. Probably a mandate from Nintendo. But I agree I love the original Mario RPG and DK Country promo art and character design.

If it's any consolation, the DK enemy in this trailer looks like the old DK Country model but in modern graphics.

Last edited:

poodaddy

looks very faithful to the original. Good for the fans who enjoyed it but not much for me who wanted to see an overhaul and reimagining of the game

Do realize that you'll be sold this at 60-70 dollars... The game looks nearly identical to the original with better, 3D graphics. Is this really worth it?

Would've been more excited for a sequel

I feel like the remake shouldn't stay so true to the original to the point where it's still fucking isometric 💀

Like come on, Nintendo's gonna be releasing a game with depth perception problems in 2023. They could've at least given us a fully controllable camera lol
how dare you GIF

Ya can't fix perfect brother. This is one of the purest and funnest games of all time, all it needs is a new coat of paint and it's good to go.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's really that great? I'm always wanted to play it because everyone said it's a masterpiece.
It’s OK. It’s a fun, short, light hearted 90s JRPG with an awesome soundtrack. Back in its day, seemed like the consensus among JRPG fans was that it was a good game but not quite up there with the other greats of the 90s.

Nobody considered it a “masterpiece” back then, that’s just nostalgia goggles.

Shifty1897

It’s OK. It’s a fun, short, light hearted 90s JRPG with an awesome soundtrack. Back in its day, seemed like the consensus among JRPG fans was that it was a good game but not quite up there with the other greats of the 90s.

Nobody considered it a “masterpiece” back then, that’s just nostalgia goggles.
Exactly. On a best SNES JRPG list, the highest it could possibly rank is 3rd, and most people would rank it 4th or 5th. Still a great game, still worth playing, but it's not going to change your life. You're not going to write SMRPG fanfics.

This one will be huge, especially positioned as their big Black Friday holiday game. A bit pricey for $60, as I recall this game isn’t overly long, maybe 15+ hours. Hoping they add a bit of volume to it for completionists.

Hugare

I think Geno is gonna be in the next Smash Ultimate Port lol
I think the remake could have been announced years ago, but Sakurai insisted "please, don't. I cant stand people asking for Geno in Smash" he totally should've been in it tho

I have never played the original, so I'll definitely check it out now

Krathoon

I have this gut feeling Super Mario RPG may sell out. I already pre-ordered it at Walmart.

I really think that Square Enix still had the original 3D models. That is why the new ones are so close.

Last edited:
The artstyle is very similar to the original, and I don't know if this is good or bad, since it looks like something upscaled with an AI.

No, I don’t think so at all this looks like ground up fully re-created/reimagined assets with super high production values. The original composer is even re-recording and updating the soundtrack. It’s like a full on remake. And I think gameplay wise, intentionally keeping the structure nearly identical, so that if you played the original, you’re not gonna feel like it’s been ruined.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

I honestly thought Nintendo just decided this game never existed anymore. What a surprise. This was my first real JRPG. Very Nostalgic. Music is Ace.

I honestly thought Nintendo just decided this game never existed anymore. What a surprise. This was my first real JRPG. Very Nostalgic. Music is Ace.

My hope is that because they got rid of the subtitle, they’re using this as a sort of full reboot of all Mario RPGs, and hopefully if this does well enough, more to come in the future. And maybe even a glimmer of hope for bringing back the RPG style to Paper Mario. Or making a sequel to Mario RPG. Which the original Paper Mario was actually made to be, but it’s name was changed before it came out.

Last edited:

Krathoon

This one will be huge, especially positioned as their big Black Friday holiday game. A bit pricey for $60, as I recall this game isn’t overly long, maybe 15+ hours. Hoping they add a bit of volume to it for completionists.
Yeah. I hope they added on some new content. Maybe an epilogue or something.

Reactions: RNG

Gambit2483

And people still say this year is not good year.
are-you-blind-can-you-see.gif

This year is fucking insane!

I saw AT LEAST 5 or 6 games in that Direct that I want to get...and that's not including the Batman or Metal Gear Collections which contain multiple full length games.

Unless you just hate Nintendo, RPGs or Remakes/Remasters there should be plenty in that Direct to entice you.

Last edited:

K' Dash

15 hrs is my sweet spot for games, there are not many that can go beyond than and offer anything I want to keep doing.

SegaShack

I have this gut feeling Super Mario RPG may sell out. I already pre-ordered it at Walmart.

I really think that Square Enix still had the original 3D models. That is why the new ones are so close.
I doubt it. If so imagine what ancient hardware they would be on? Would be cool though.

Top Bottom