• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake Announced - Coming November 17, 2023 | Nintendo Direct

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mallow_Remake.jpg

SMRPG_Mallow_Artwork.png

I don't know what people are complaining about, thr artstyle is almost a 1:1 recreation of the original with higher poly counts.
thats what ive been saying!!!!!

The clay aesthetic may be missing from the Mario, Peach and Bowser models (for better IMO) but if you discount that it's basically Mario RPG in all its mid 90s SNES RPG glory.... But now it's far cleaner looking and is actually 3D instead of just prerendered. I don't get the 'soulless' look people are complaining about here, glad to know I don't have fucked up eyesight

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Mallow_Remake.jpg

SMRPG_Mallow_Artwork.png

I don't know what people are complaining about, thr artstyle is almost a 1:1 recreation of the original with higher poly counts.
Higher poly count, better natural lighting and shadows.

Ya'll who think this looks somehow worse are delusional

Trilobit

I love that old concept art. I read an analysis of it a few years ago that argued that the source of its charm came from from technical limitations. They couldn’t do real time light sourcing so they really baked in the shadows which created a chiaroscuro effect, similar to Caravaggio for example.

Kijfo4i.jpg

That sounded so interesting so I had to do some digging and found this page which might be what you read: https://medium.com/mammon-machine-z...ra-the-missing-tenebrism-in-2-5d-a1b1047fef9b

It was an absolutely fantastic read about something I love that I can't really describe or put to words. Every time I see that kind of CGI game art it evokes a feeling that I would love to experience while playing. Maybe someday.

Last edited:
thats what ive been saying!!!!!

The clay aesthetic may be missing from the Mario, Peach and Bowser models (for better IMO) but if you discount that it's basically Mario RPG in all its mid 90s SNES RPG glory.... But now it's far cleaner looking and is actually 3D instead of just prerendered. I don't get the 'soulless' look people are complaining about here, glad to know I don't have fucked up eyesight
Higher poly count, better natural lighting and shadows.

Ya'll who think this looks somehow worse are delusional
It’s one of the many usual GAF outcomes.

1)Ask for years for a remake of their favorite title.
2)Finally get the remake
3)Complain and nitpick until they convince themselves not to buy it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
now remaster this classic 90s commercial you cowards

Robb

Gold Member
It is based on the original Super Famicom box art.
s-l400.jpg
Ah okay. Neat callback I guess.

Feels like they could do so much more though. Putting 5 renders onto a white background is something anyone can do today, I can probably recreate this cover on my phone right now.

Would’ve been nice with something more special imo.

But who knows, maybe there’ll be variation across regions (or a reversible cover).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Feels like they could do so much more though. Putting 5 renders onto a white background is something anyone can do today, I can probably recreate this cover on my phone right now.

But who knows, maybe there’ll be variation across regions (or a reversible cover).

Let's be honest - most video game covers tend to suck and can be easily made on a modern phone. I am not a fan of it either, but meh. I think the bigger crime is that Switch games still have that ugly ass red spine.

Robb

Gold Member
Let's be honest - most video game covers tend to suck and can be easily made on a modern phone. I am not a fan of it either, but meh. I think the bigger crime is that Switch games still have that ugly ass red spine.
Maybe. Most first party Nintendo game covers are pretty great though.

nightfly

When I heard the rumors I was thinking shit, I am going to have to get a Switch to play this. But now after seeing it, honestly it looks so similar I'm not sure if there is much of a point of playing it vs the original.
You're posting on a video game board and don't already own a Switch!?!?!? What are you doing, waiting for Sony/Microsoft to make one???

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

BlackTron

I hope for a reversible cover, but this one is still nostalgic for me because I had the player's guide too which got much more real-world handling.

rDoy8X2.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
At least they don't have that ugly ass Lime green spine the greatest hits PS1 games had.

I honestly would prefer that as lime green works better with my colour scheme in my game room. Red is the exact opposite and just looks... awful.

Synless

I can’t get over how shit the character models are. No, they are not good reps of the original art.

Ive beaten the original more times than I care to say, this seriously is a miss.

Synless

XHBvFBb.png

KKAWXHh.png

GuYs thEY FuCKeD uP thE chARaCtER MoDEls It LoOKs lYke SHiT nOW!!!!

The nostalgia glasses is immense, dude. The Mario RPG nostalgia is STRONG with this one.
Hey, great that we are comparing box art covers. The actual character models in the game look like shit. Get fucked with your passive aggressive answer twat.

9zl91Nw.jpg
BP88Wq5.jpg

They look squished, it looks bad and not how the original vision was.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hey, great that we are comparing box art covers. The actual character models in the game look like shit. Get fucked with your passive aggressive answer twat.

9zl91Nw.jpg
BP88Wq5.jpg

They look squished, it looks bad and It how the original vision was.
..... they literally look better than any sprite from the original... They are actual 3D and not prerendered crusty SNES sprites. It says something when you only brought up the new models with no comparison to the old because SNES couldn't pull off shots like those, lol

I'll one up you by skipping cutscenes entirely and comparing actual game footage. Have fun arguing how the old ones look better, or how the new versions are "not how the original vision was"

Last edited:

Synless

..... they literally look better than any sprite from the original... They are actual 3D and not prerendered crusty SNES sprites. It says something when you only brought up the new models with no comparison to the old because SNES couldn't pull off shots like those, lol

I'll one up you by skipping cutscenes entirely and comparing actual game footage. Have fun arguing how the old ones look better, or how the new versions are "not how the original vision was"

Easy, I will take up this debate. You can see that Mario’s proportions while still cartoonish are not nearly as squished and honestly more detailed. They were still deformed character models but the new ones are far more smoothed over and overly deformed.

They look worse, just because the previous game is “crusty sprites” as you put it doesn’t mean the new models are better. They just are not.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Easy, I will take up this debate. You can see that Mario’s proportions while still cartoonish are not nearly as squished and honestly more detailed. They were still deformed character models but the new ones are far more smoothed over and overly deformed.

They look worse, just because the previous game is “crusty sprites” as you put it doesn’t mean the new models are better. They just are not.

If you look and think the original games sprites are better? You are a literal troll who cannot be taken seriously.

Gambit2483

9zl91Nw.jpg
BP88Wq5.jpg

They look squished, it looks bad and not how the original vision was.
Bruh...they were always "squished" (proportionally condensed)....dafuq are you on about??

This is as faithful as you can get without making them grotesque long limbed freaks (from the original designs)

Synless

Y’all don’t agree, I can accept that. I disagree that the new models are good. I’m not saying the originals are better. I’m saying the new ones are generic as fuck and overly squished.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Y’all don’t agree, I can accept that. I disagree that the new models are good. I’m not saying the originals are better. I’m saying the new ones are generic as fuck and overly squished.
When Mario is small in Wonder he also looks squished, so I think it's a direction Nintendo is taking.

Reactions: Isa

Dorago

The bloom and high poly + low detail graphics kill the original aesthetic of the game. Mario RPG always had realistic lighting and "hard" background details. Also the new character designs are half SD which leaves much to be desired as well. Nintendo's games are starting to look selfsame and this isn't good. Their games have always had unique art styles and have essentially reinvented the wheel with each release. I don't want them to fall in the Activision or Ubisoft trap but I feel like it happened without us noticing.

OCASM

Banned
I love that old concept art. I read an analysis of it a few years ago that argued that the source of its charm came from from technical limitations. They couldn’t do real time light sourcing so they really baked in the shadows which created a chiaroscuro effect, similar to Caravaggio for example.

Kijfo4i.jpg

That sounded so interesting so I had to do some digging and found this page which might be what you read: https://medium.com/mammon-machine-z...ra-the-missing-tenebrism-in-2-5d-a1b1047fef9b

It was an absolutely fantastic read about something I love that I can't really describe or put to words. Every time I see that kind of CGI game art it evokes a feeling that I would love to experience while playing. Maybe someday.

The Oddworld remake lost a lof by not abidding to that look:

Isa

I'm really looking forward to playing this one since I never had a SNES. Friends did but never got to play much aside from multiplayer stuff. I think this looks pretty dang good while being consistent with Nintendo's overall design philosophy for their IP.

Andyliini

You think someone who has no nostalgia for this but who likes the paper mario games will like this? Like is this game on the level of say, thousand year door?
I have never played it, but considering Paper Mario 64 should be quiet close to TTYD, this should be more like traditional RPG. PM64 at least is based heavily on badges, which you jave to constantly manage. I liked this traditional stylw way better.

Top Bottom