• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

KYYjH5y.png

n8L097I.png

To be fair to Sakurai if you're making a game. Only makes sense to go overboard with your franchises.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
DHD doesn't even have a trophy in Melee or Brawl (there is only a trophy of two ducks). I don't know how he could go from being totally unrecognized to being a brand new character. The heavy fan-service is one of the biggest reasons that I don't trust this leak.

How much sense does it make to separate the leaks and consider them separately? They all appeared so quickly that there's no way they could have been made to ride the coattails of the previous ones. They had to have been coordinated. So if you want to say that Leak 1 and 2 are real but Leak 3 is fake, then you're put in the strange position of saying that someone had a legit leak and decided to make a fake one to go along with it. That's not impossible - the leaker could have wanted a mix of real and fake to create maximum chaos - but it is a little strange.

The ESRB would have to know of the DLC anyway, so it's not impossible. Plus as you said, the leaks were in parts, and "MOTHERFUCKING LEAKER" probably just covered both screens of the CSS & the DLC.

If the CSS screens are real, the chances of the DLC being real increases as well. It won't be guaranteed, but it'll be a safer bet than it is now.
MF Leaker isn't validated if those screens are real. The person himself is not credible in the slightest, and is more the recipient of good fortune than a trust worthy source. The images I'm confident in, him I'm not.

Chunky Kong would have been better newcomer than a Pit palette swap. The same comparison could apply to Metroid as well, and I don't even like that franchise.
But a Pit clone requires a lot less effort than a whole new character haha. That's why the not-quite-clones are DLC. I hope you realize how biased you are.

The ESRB would have to know of the DLC anyway, so it's not impossible. Plus as you said, the leaks were in parts, and "MOTHERFUCKING LEAKER" probably just covered both screens of the CSS & the DLC.

If the CSS screens are real, the chances of the DLC being real increases as well. It won't be guaranteed, but it'll be a safer bet than it is now.

Yeah. The DLC stuff is basically meaningless right now but if the leak is real then it becomes worth considering.

SmithnCo

DHD doesn't even have a trophy in Melee or Brawl (there is only a trophy of two ducks). I don't know how he could go from being totally unrecognized to being a brand new character. The heavy fan-service is one of the biggest reasons that I don't trust this leak.

Also iirc, the sticker in Brawl was just a duck.

Here is the other thing

Nintendo basically brought back Duck Hunt for Wii Play's shoot mini game, it had the ducks which were worth extra points if you shot them when they randomly flew by

You know what it didn't have? The stupid dog

Neoxon

Yeah. The DLC stuff is basically meaningless right now but if the leak is real then it becomes worth considering.
It still is worth considering, it just doesn't have any screens to go with it (then again, how can you provide screens for characters who aren't accessible in the base game, yet).

Uprising is better than anything that filthy ape has been in ever.

To each their own but I think Tropical Freeze is a way better game.

Either way I'm not too invested in this. Yes I think DK deserves more representation than KI, and yes I think the KI franchise is over represented as is. Its not a major franchise, it had one reboot, and it doesn't have the legacy to demand such attention. I'm not mad about it, but I do feel that's true.

That's like, your opinion.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 1.52 million
Kid Icarus: Uprising - 1.18 million

Embarrassing. Let's add two more Kid Icarus characters instead, even though Dixie would have been a perfectly viable Diddy clone.

But a Pit clone requires a lot less effort than a whole new character haha. That's why the not-quite-clones are DLC. I hope you realize how biased you are.

Considering how you've been antagonizing everybody who thinks the leak is fake, I wouldn't talk about bias haha.

Sponge

Banned

Thank you for posting this. I think this is absolutely criminal.

Remember when people called Sakurai "humble" because only one of his creations was playable back in Melee?

One is a franchise, and the other is a one time revival which probably won't be seeing a sequel anytime soon. It's embarrassing how little content DK has in Smash Bros.

nerdbot

R.O.B. was the same until Brawl. Wolf was only in Melee's intro, not as a trophy. I think a trophy of two ducks can escalate to a Duck Hunt Dog character.

I'm fine with all the Kid Icarus content and don't mind that it got this much. However, DK should have gotten better than...that.

Still a little too early to say, though.

Embarrassing. Let's add two more Kid Icarus characters instead, even though Dixie would have been a perfectly viable Diddy clone.

Considering how you've been antagonizing everybody who thinks the leak is fake, I wouldn't talk about bias haha.
I'm not biased though. I'm not refusing to believe everything about the leak solely because I hate a character on it, haha.

Palutena and Dark Pit are both infinitely better characters then Dixie Kong, who other then her pony tail has nothing cool going for her

Here is the other thing

Nintendo basically brought back Duck Hunt for Wii Play's shoot mini game, it had the ducks which were worth extra points if you shot them when they randomly flew by

You know what it didn't have? The stupid dog

Hell, Takamaru himself got revived, and all he ended up with is an AT.

Regardless of any leak, I think DHD would be better as an AT than a playable character. Imagine it: you pop the AT, a reticule appears on screen and starts targeting your opponents, a la the laser canon in Halberd. It gets three to five shots, and every time it gets a hit, DHD rises up in the background and snickers (not exactly true to the source, but it gets the job done.)

Mariolee

I've been seeing this argument thrown around Smash forums around the nets, including this one, that I don't really find convincing at all and am wondering why it keeps being stated.

"Either it's real or someone put a lot of time into making it convincing."

Like, it's such an obvious statement that doesn't really add anything substantial to the debate one way or the other. I've seen it thrown more for the "#TeamReal" side as they keep claiming it to be truly perfect.

I mean, that's the whole point of faking leaked pictures. The person behind them has to make them look a convincing as possible and is more than willing most of the time to put the effort into making them look good.

Doesn't make it any less real however.

I've spent years at VGBoxart where hundreds of users have spent countless hours on beautiful and convincing box art just for fun and explicitly state it's fake. Now imagine if someone with that talent wanted to trick the internet for real. OF COURSE they'd make it look convincing.

Neoxon

So yeah, the only way the DLC will see the most sales is if everyone's bundled together. Otherwise most will just get Snake (or the Chorus Kids, but mostly Snake) & call it a day.

I don't think we're set to get much DK content, whether the leak is real or not, but even as someone who isn't an enormous fan of the series, I do think it did kinda get the shaft. Like, since Brawl, the series was revived from spinoff hell to great commercial and critical success with one game released with plenty of time to spare to get content from it in Smash, and a follow-up in the works (at the time of development), both as major releases.

If Dark Pit, and the rest of the leak, is actually in the game, Dark Pit in particular can be easily explained.

Like past Smash Bros games when they get down to crunch time, they have to cut characters. Sometimes they take costumes and boost them up to full roster spots, like Lucina who was originally a Marth costume.

Dark Pit has different voicework from Pit though he was likely originally a costume for Pit. Taking him and repurposing him into a full character is relatively simple- you change some of Pit's weapon models to different Kid Icarus weapons without needing to alter the animations much, and you give them different properties. Done. A new character with a fourth of the work of other roster slots.

It's a weird inclusion, but it's likely they got to the point where they said "we can either add one more newcomer, or we can make Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario into full characters". And they opted for three instead of one- and perhaps took the unfinished full character concepts and made them into DLC?

The same thing happened in Melee, as revealed in an interview with Sakurai. They got near crunchtime and went "We can either make King Dedede, or we can make Gannondorf, Roy, Doctor Mario, Falco, Young Link, and Pichu". So they chose more characters instead of less. Why only three this time instead of six? They have to be made for two different platforms, so it's probably close to the same amount of work. That's just me speculating though.

The difference is, this time, we might still get those other characters as DLC.

Or it's fake! But it's worth thinking about either way.

Sponge

Banned
Lets be fair as awesome as uprising was, DK does have seniority status and deserves some free bon...err bananas.

It at least deserves Dixie Kong. It's a shame that a character that has been around since the SNES days is getting snubbed over others when Smash Bros. is already starting to try and reach for character ideas.

Seeing that DK representation pic makes me realize the only new things we know of so far for the series are..
- You can punch Kremlings in Smash Run who attack with ballerina for some reason, also Tiki Buzz
- Gear Getaway is a new musical track
- DK can finally roll now and Diddy apparently has lanky kong limbs

I'm just saying showing something like an AT or Wii U stage would be nice, not much new going on here right now, of course the AT will be Dixie Kong and I'll die a little inside but i'm used to it by this point.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes clones and consider them more like freebies than wastes of slots
but I main Dr. Mario in Melee

Palutena and Dark Pit are both infinitely better characters then Dixie Kong, who other then her pony tail has nothing cool going for her

Seriously? Dark Pit is about as unique as Dark Link. It is a palette swap turned into a character. Throwing smash movesets aside at least Dixie is visually different and has unique abilities.

Now that I think about it, i'd take Dark Link over Dark Pit. It'd be just as stupid but at least it'd be an additional rep on a more deserving franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom