• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. homebrew "port" hits PSP

Psphacker.com said:
SmashGpsp v0.1 Released

DSC01747_thumb.jpg

mATkEUpON has just posted in our forums a port of a port so to say, in the form of his “Super Smash Brothers” port for Gp32 to the PSP, called SmashGpsp version 0.1. This is a very fun and nicely made port of his homebrew Super Smash Brothers for the Gp32. It has excellent sound, graphics, gameplay and plays full screen.

The Controls:
– Pad / Analog: control your character
– Up / Square / Triangle: jump
– Cross: simple move / take object / use object
– Circle: super move
– L: protection
– R + Cross: catch someone (without object) / throw object (+ direction)
– Start: pause
– Start + Select: return to main menu

Smash moves are triggered when moving fast in a direction + pressing the Cross
button instantly after.

It currently only has Mario and Luigi character, but you can download additional ones [here].

You can get it in our PSP Download section [here].
You can discuss it in our forums [here].
Thanks for this port mATkEUpON =)

Hope this gets heavy support ^__^

Surprisingly, it runs very smooth. I downloaded Sonic too, and he has a bunch of custom moves and such. So if this gets heavy support we could see a ton of awesome characters added in. It's still a bit buggy (random crashes), but its only 0.1. As it stands, looks very promising. :)

EDITED for clarity ^_^

Amir0x

Banned
FallenOne666 said:
Surprisingly, it runs very smooth. I downloaded Sonic too and he has a bunch of custom moves and such, so if this gets heavy support we could see a ton of awesome guys added in. It's still a bit buggy, but its only 0.1. Looks very promising so far. :)

What about multiplayer?

Amir0x said:
What about multiplayer?

No MP in this version. There is a option for it but it is X-ed out at the moment, so it is in the cards. As for Screenshots, I can attempt to take some if people want. Any requests?

Amir0x

Banned
FallenOne666 said:
No MP in this version. There is a option for it but it is X-ed out at the moment, so it is in the cards. As for Screenshots, I can attempt to take some if people want. Any requests?

YES!

TAKE A SHOT OF SONIC FIGHTING MARIO

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Its terrible. Don't even bother with this. Seriously.

If I was a homebrew dev theres no way I would release something in this state.

Did this with my Webcam, which coupled with the PSP's bright screen makes for horrible quality.

Main Menu:
Picture98.jpg

1P Mode Select:
Picture99.jpg

Character Select (Sonic and Mario here ^__^)
Picture103.jpg

Fight Pix:
Picture111.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Random Notes
-HOME button does not work. It will crash PSP. Use the in-game exit function.
-No Music as of yet, but there are plenty of sound effects.
-Controls are still sloppy but show promise.
-Level designs need major work.
-Will be the greatest PSP homebrew game once it reaches completion. :D

Zeo

Banned
Haha, this is just kind of silly now. No way it will be as good as SSBM.

Could be good I guess, but whatever really. Kind of sad that this is where all the excitement for PSP is coming from.

I'm sure people will go ape crazy when MUGEN hits the PSP.

It'd be nice for Smash GP to hit the DS, we'll just have to wait and see.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Doesn't work on my 1.0 PSP. After the psp splash screen/sound, the screen goes black and nothing happens until the system shuts down by itself. What am I doing wrong?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bartman3010 said:
I'm sure people will go ape crazy when MUGEN hits the PSP.

It'd be nice for Smash GP to hit the DS, we'll just have to wait and see.

MUGEN would be great, but most people here seem to really hate the PSP D-pad for fighting games

gamewhooper said:
Man, I came to GAF because there were too many dumbasses at GameFAQs. I guess there are some here too.

Thank you for your needless trolling and pointless posts, and thus dooming my thread. :lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
gamewhooper said:
Man, I came to GAF because there were too many dumbasses at GameFAQs. I guess there are some here too.
The funny thing is that he probably is a GameFAQs reject just like you. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I am indeed a Gamefaqs reject, though I stopped posting on the major boards back in early 2004.

And if this gamewhooper guy is the same as the one that I've seen at GFaqs, then he's got Nintendo semen constantly leaking out of his eyeballs.

Brofist

gamewhooper said:
I'll stick with the superior and legal Jump! Super Stars.

Thanks for sharing that! Cause I'm sure everyone here has already decided to pass up Jump Super Stars for this homebrew game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kpop100 said:
Thanks for sharing that! Cause I'm sure everyone here has already decided to pass up Jump Super Stars for this homebrew game.

:lol :lol :lol

So true. You can tell when someone is either jealous or threatened by a release when they use that line. Same shit when you see emulators released for certain systems. I remember how pissed off people were when a GC emulator was first shown as if people would suddenly turn to the emulator instead of a real Gamecube.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Mugen on PSP will never happen.

The people involved in its creation have long since disappeared.

Its a shame. I made a ton of stuff for Mugen over the years but the PC version got stale and there is only so much you can do with the engine (it is very flexible but there are some things you just can't get around). If a PSP version came out I would definitely start making stuff again.

Zeo

Banned
lol although, Sonic is cool.

You gotta wonder though: how long until Nintendo shuts this down?

If they do at all, that is.

How is my "trolling" any worse than his? I didn't call the PSP a piece of shit or anything.

And I tried out the game actually but just updated to 2.0 because I didn't like it that much. There's obvious flaws with it.

It only has like five levels I think it was, no multiplayer, and the sprites from some of the characters were taken directly from other games. The presentation is pretty simplistic, too, but I guess that's what you get for being a homebrew game.

The couple of people I played were pretty dumb, too.

I can't see people getting excited about this game, but keep on flaming and stuff so I can reach 100 posts today.

Sanjuro

gamewhooper said:
25%

Too much licensing problems not to mention half of the animes/mangas aren't popular at all over here.

Okay. Is it available yet to import? If not when so. Also does anyone know the translation curve? I remember playing some JAP RPG and I wanted to die because of poor American eduaction system not teaching me Japanese....then I played Super Mario Advance (JAP) and found it funny how text and voices are in English.

Sumasshu

gamewhooper said:
And I tried out the game actually but just updated to 2.0 because I didn't like it that much. There's obvious flaws with it.
:lol
You do know there's more homebrew than just this game, right? Too late now I guess.

Sumasshu said:
:lol
You do know there's more homebrew than just this game, right? Too late now I guess.

Yeah. There were a couple roms I tried out, too, but I just don't like the feeling of playing a game on a system it wasn't designed for. It's not that I feel morally bad about it but it's just weird for me.

Like when I got Chrono Trigger (my favorite game) for my computer, I probably played it only an hour in the first two days I had it. I would have been much more excited if it was for SNES or something.

gamewhooper said:
Yeah. There were a couple roms I tried out, too, but I just don't like the feeling of playing a game on a system it wasn't designed for. It's not that I feel morally bad about it but it's just weird for me.

Like when I got Chrono Trigger (my favorite game) for my computer, I probably played it only an hour in the first two days I had it. I would have been much more excited if it was for SNES or something.

Then you must hate Nintendo for what they did with Revolution.

Sholmes said:

Except I can still sit on a couch and play them on the big screen. And I doubt we'll see some of the slowness I get when I played Super Mario Bros. 3 on PSP or the framerate transitioning of the computer.

It's just that I'm sitting in a chair two feet away from the computer screen and I'm using keyboard controls for the game.

Zeo

Banned
Sholmes said:

gamewhooper said:

Revolution was designed for it, Sholmes. It's not illegal emulation.

Zeo

Banned
Sholmes said:
Uh huh, right.

.. Don't be an idiot, please.

His point is that it feels weird for him to play games on something it wasn't designed for.

Revolution IS designed for that (which is why they're considering updating games).

I don't feel the same way, but I know what he means. Don't brush it off with "Uh huh, right" just because you were wrong or misread.

Top Bottom