• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2: How late is "too late" to buy a Switch now?

All this talk about Switch 2 and Switch Pro has me wanting some thing official.

i don't want to buy a switch this holiday only for a new one to be announced early next yeat.

Robb

Gold Member
Rumors are running very hot and where there’s smoke, there’s fire. So I’d say it’s “too late” already and would personally wait.
Warning Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Del_X

I wouldn't buy one without a steep discount. Like $200 for an OLED model (even if refurbished).

WoJ

Wait ! That's it, if it is backward compatible you won't waste your money
This is kind of what I am doing. I plan to get a Switch for my 7 year old for Christmas, but will get a Switch 2 next year for the house if it is BC.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The next Nintendo console will probably be announced in Spring with a release in late 2024.

If you really can't wait and want to play a lot of Nintendo exclusive games now then grab a Switch Lite.

Reactions: Isa

Paltheos

Depends on if the new device has backwards compatibility. If so, probably best to wait. I can't think of any other big titles set to come out for the Switch 1 you'd be missing the conversation on (what is even going on with Metroid Prime 4?)

Reactions: Isa

Chastten

Banned
Why would you buy a Switch now instead of anytime in the past 7 years?

Also, who knows what Switch 2 is gonna be? We all assume it's going to be a direct follow-up to the Switch, but it could just as well be a completely different concept you have no interest in.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Never too late. Are you buying it for what we think or are there games on the system you want to play? We have nothing but rumors about the Switch2 yet. We don't know if it will be backward compatible even. So I say if there are games you want to play and have the money than YES its worth it.

Worse case scenario is you buy it and sometime next year you can trade it and and only lose about 1/3 of its value and you got to play all the games you want and see if the Switch is something you enjoyed.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Purchased a premium renewed Switch OLED off Amazon for $300 about three weeks ago. Comes with a 365 day no questions asked full refund or exchange policy ;). Heaven forbid Nintendo announces a Switch 2 in the next year and I have to return it because of reasons.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Bought Links Awakening, Dread, Prime Remastered, and BOTW off eBay cheap and a few Indies (Hollowknight and The Messenger). I want to pick up Sea of Stars when it goes on sale. Anyways, almost done with LA. Dread is next. Having a blast.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just buy it, you can sell it later. Switch doesn't need a successor for 90% of exclusives, most run great at 900p and/or solid 60 fps. Even Zeldas which most complains run at mostly solid 30 fps until you use a couple of frame tanking skills but frame pacing and input lag are still king.

F31 Leopard

Just buy Switch games you're interested in. When Switch 2 is announced and if its not BC then buy a Switch. In the end you have a library on hand to play.

Dazraell

There is a very high chance it will release next year and will be backward compatible, so honestly speaking at this point it might be worth to wait

tkscz

Wait to here if the successor will be backwards compatible. If it is, continue waiting. If not, wait until the price drops on used Switches.

Honestly...if you managed this long without a Switch you can wait some more months.
The new model will almost for sure be backwards compatible and will obviously be future proof.

If you spend money on this old model now it'll be good for you for like 2 years (and all the games already released of course) while if youw ait for the new model you're set for like 6 or 7 years, plus all the games from the first Switch.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It'll be out either next year or early 2025 and it'll play Switch 1 games.

If you've somehow managed to avoid playing Odyssey and BOTW for 6 years then wait a little longer.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Switch 2 is coming out 100% next year so it would be waste of money unless you wanna sell it after you use it.

I will be away from my home for a month or so in november so thinking of buying a Switch temporarily. Mainly want to play proper singleplayer games such as Zelda and Xenoblade. BTW any suggestions?
Will sell it once done with those.

zeldaring

Banned
I will be away from my home for a month or so in november so thinking of buying a Switch temporarily. Mainly want to play proper singleplayer games such as Zelda and Xenoblade. BTW any suggestions?
Will sell it once done with those.
Donkey kong tropical freeze if you like platformers.

Isa

I support many of the comments above and would add another potential factor, that being are you a collector? If so sooner rather than later is probably smart since prices on games will start to skyrocket once the Switch is discontinued and some games have had low print runs. But if simply playing as a more casual consumer, just a few games that caught your eye, then perhaps I'd wait for info on the Switch 2 or whatever the next system is.

OP, the successor of the Switch will 100% launch sometime next year, probably in fall and there's a good chance it will have backwards compatibility with the current Nintendo system so I'd say that you should definitely wait.

That said, if you have FOMO and want to play them Nintendo 1st party titles ASAP then get one now and enjoy yourself. There's also quite a few 3rd parties which are worth playing like these ones although they are getting rarer to get in physical format:

81fZ6W43k-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61rBCCKD9ZL.jpg
61Tu4CwRtEL._AC_SL1095_.jpg

nikos

I'd buy an OLED now and sell it whenever the next console releases if backwards compatible. We don't even really know what it's going to be yet.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you buy a Switch now you are buying it with full knowledge that it may be totally obsolete and irrelevant within 12 months. But that doesn’t mean that you won’t have a system with tons of great games to play. And of course if the next system is not BC then that’s a whole different story.

Rambone

You could be waiting a few months or another year, nobody knows.

Just get a second hand switch and sell it when the switch successor comes out if money is a problem.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
everything i have heard about the Switch 2 so far has me excited. Although I have a gut feeling the specs we have seen so far will not be anywhere near what is expected.

I hope I am wrong.

I also hope that games get updates. Tears of the Kingdom deserves 1440p-DLSS and 60 fps.

Last edited:

Esppiral

I wouldn't pay full price for a switch that late in its life circle specially with they insane price it has look for a second hand one.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
It’s never “too late” to enjoy any videogame system and its software library. My go-to console is Sega Saturn, and I still dream of owning a Commodore Amiga. By that measure, a Nintendo Switch is cutting edge, and goodness knows there are tons of games to enjoy (grab Bioshock Collection the next time it’s on a $20 sale).

Purchased a premium renewed Switch OLED off Amazon for $300 about three weeks ago. Comes with a 365 day no questions asked full refund or exchange policy ;). Heaven forbid Nintendo announces a Switch 2 in the next year and I have to return it because of reasons.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Bought Links Awakening, Dread, Prime Remastered, and BOTW off eBay cheap and a few Indies (Hollowknight and The Messenger). I want to pick up Sea of Stars when it goes on sale. Anyways, almost done with LA. Dread is next. Having a blast.
I just did this as well. I sold my OLED a couple weeks ago because me and the girl decided when can share and she also has a Lite if both of us want to use it but it was a hassle and I regretted it after a week.

I actually went to Walmart to buy one but noticed this post and decided to go this way. I'll return the one from Walmart if this one turns out in good shape.

So thank for the post!

Last edited:

Interfectum

If you are only buying a Switch now why does it matter when a Switch 2 is coming? Buy Switch now, enjoy it until you feel like upgrading then sell it.

Top Bottom