• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch highest ever June hardware sales in Japan

You know what this means...

reset-the-clock-pacific-rim.gif

The next console release has been moved back again.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I dont even understands how one game could do this

Because it's not "one game", it's a hell of a catalog of first and third party games and basically it being the JRPG de-facto machine.

Switch is basically SNES/PS2/NDS kinda succesor for many people, including people that barely touched videogames before and now on some niche fandom like farming or cozzy games which are big on Switch.

I won't believe the Switch won't sell at least 15M this year and another 15M next year, it would require Nintendo to suddenly stop Switch production and distribution for it to not be the highest gaming device in history by 2026.

So yeah, it doesn't surprise me it's getting another boost.

Kerotan

It started off badly in terms of YTD sales but last couple of months have been huge for it and it's catching up.

BlackTron

There’s just no stopping this thing. Are people buying their second and third Switches at this point?

This is where my mind went. There comes a point where you assume you're reaching market saturation. Sure maybe that install base will keep buying games, but how long can you keep going like this with systems? I'm realizing now though, that as long as the games keep coming, the systems keep selling. The market keeps expanding, systems break, multiple-Switch households as it infects more of the family, rabid fans wanna upgrade to OLED, etc.

I admit though this is a mostly new realization for me. In the past I figured you would just reach a point of saturation and beyond that, it's just a trickle no matter how good the games are. Wrong...

Iwata was famous for saying - one game can drastically change a systems fortunes no matter at what stage of its life it’s in due to what he saw with Mario Bros 3, Pokemon Red/Blue and Wii Sports. After his death BotW and TotK proved him right with Switch both at launch and at the end of its cycle.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Nintendo knew Switch sales would still be this strong into its seventh year they wouldn’t even be considering new hardware because although a vocal minority online want a new more powerful console the vast majority of the market doesn’t care as long as the game is fun.

There’s just no stopping this thing. Are people buying their second and third Switches at this point?
I'm not Japanese but personally I've had 7 switch consoles. Either because they broke or I upgraded them. In fact I've only upgraded twice and that was to the 2019 revision and the OLED revision in 2021. All the others had faults so I had to return/sell them and buy a new one.

Kilau

Because it's not "one game", it's a hell of a catalog of first and third party games and basically it being the JRPG de-facto machine.

Switch is basically SNES/PS2/NDS kinda succesor for many people, including people that barely touched videogames before and now on some niche fandom like farming or cozzy games which are big on Switch.

I won't believe the Switch won't sell at least 15M this year and another 15M next year, it would require Nintendo to suddenly stop Switch production and distribution for it to not be the highest gaming device in history by 2026.

So yeah, it doesn't surprise me it's getting another boost. But
I agree that the only way the Switch doesn’t surpass PS2 to become the best selling dedicated game system is if Nintendo stops production, but there’s like 5 models of iPhone alone the Switch won’t pass to be the highest selling gaming device in history.

BlackTron

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Nintendo knew Switch sales would still be this strong into its seventh year they wouldn’t even be considering new hardware because although a vocal minority online want a new more powerful console the vast majority of the market doesn’t care as long as the game is fun.

I don't know about that, to say they wouldn't even consider it. There's no law that says your sales need to tank before releasing new hardware. Given that Switch is still selling at the same price, its successor could simply be a direct replacement in the same price bracket with a better chip that gives devs less of a headache to work on.

Current Switch already has untapped power in the Mariko chip. They could have called it "Switch Pro" and unlocked it and kept selling the same way. Granted it might not have been the right time all things considered to fragment things up, with the power gain they would acquire, but they actually already started selling us better hardware under our noses. OG Switch was SO old, and SO cheap, they actually can't even sell it anymore and were forced to ship something better. Just do the same thing and call it "Switch 2" this time, the client base doesn't go anywhere the only difference is games don't look like ass on their 4k TVs anymore.

LakeOf9

It’s a thousand years old, outdated and creaky tech, has never gotten a price drop, and isn’t even that cheap (you can get a current gen console for cheaper than a Switch), with multiple better and reasonably priced options in its segment as well.

What the fuck is happening

KU_

With a new 2D side scrolling Mario releasing this holiday season as well. Completely insane to think GigaBowsers OT started this all.

Boy bawang

Yeah the new Mario looks sick and will help keeping the ball rolling. End of 2024 is the earliest I can see a successor releasing.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah the new Mario looks sick and will help keeping the ball rolling. End of 2024 is the earliest I can see a successor releasing.

Personally, I'm still not sure. It really depends on what the successor is. If it's backwards compatible, it's remotely possible we will see early 2024, like the Switch launched in March. That will allow them to get more hardware power, while still embracing the current lineup of games. If the new system is not BC, perhaps because it is a new architecture, I can't see it launching that early without giving more breathing room for Switch, especially after that Direct.

If the new console is something that you can play the same Switch Mario Wonder cart on, that will automatically upscale it for your 4k TV. There is not much reason to hold back, and we might get it earlier.

Edit: This would also enable them to build an impressive install base of Switch 2, embracing Switch 1 software, to move more Switch 2 software bombs come holiday time.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, to some of the posters above, people have been buying multiple consoles since forever. That's not a new thing by any means.

I bought a clear blue N64, even though I had the black launch version. I bought the Pearl White GameCube even though I had the black launch Cube. I had several Game Boy's, GBA's en 3DS's. Hell, I really wanted the Mint Green Tales of Symphonia Cube and transblue DoA Xbox if they had been available in my region.

As long as the games keep coming and the price is right, a system has a chance to keep selling. People like shiny new toys, even if it's just an old toy with a shiny new coat of paint.

Zuzu

I could see a lengthy cross-gen period between Switch and Switch 2 when it gets released. Developers aren’t gonna want to miss out on that huge Switch install base, so there could be a lot of Switch level games simply running at higher settings, resolution and frame rate on the Switch 2 in its first few years. It won’t cause me to complain too much though; I like games running at higher frames.

Last edited:

Tams

You see, there are these humans called babies.

When a man and a woman move each other very much, they cuddle and become a mummy and daddy by getting a baby.

Said baby grows up into a child who may well like to play computer games and want their own console, not share with mummy and daddy.

It's an infinite supply!

Sojiro

It's pretty wild, especially since nothing notable was released on the switch this week. Everybody 1-2 switch sure as hell didn't do anything for the numbers. I would like to think it's all that Pikmin 4 hype, I know better of course, but that is what I like to think lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You see, there are these humans called babies.

When a man and a woman move each other very much, they cuddle and become a mummy and daddy by getting a baby.

Said baby grows up into a child who may well like to play computer games and want their own console, not share with mummy and daddy.

It's an infinite supply!

Aren’t Japan’s reproduction numbers in the shitter?

No one’s getting laid because of Switch.

Top Bottom