• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Seda

John Harker said:
Never having any money is annoying. Running low on... everything.

Really? I have had more money than I know what to do with for pretty much the entirety of the game. Keep selling those oberyths and excess duplicates of weapons/armor.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Seda said:
Really? I have had more money than I know what to do with for pretty much the entirety of the game. Keep selling those oberyths and excess duplicates of weapons/armor.

Maybe its dependent on the Path's you choose. I'm a completely poor bastard. Like I have 0. Then I'll get a few obertyhs after a fight, sell them, maybe I have 8000 gold, buy a few piecs of equipment, sell old stuff. If it wasn't for finding healing items on corpses, I would have ran out ages ago. Don't even get me started on buying regeants.

There's got to be a better way!

John Harker said:
Maybe its dependent on the Path's you choose. I'm a completely poor bastard. Like I have 0. Then I'll get a few obertyhs after a fight, sell them, maybe I have 8000 gold, buy a few piecs of equipment, sell old stuff. If it wasn't for finding healing items on corpses, I would have ran out ages ago. Don't even get me started on buying regeants.

There's got to be a better way!

Ronwey does actually pay you periodically if you take the Law Path.

If you're lacking equipment: go to the Wildwood, recruit some human units(if you're looking for something specific you can check what they have by highlighting an enemy unit and checking their Condition), take their stuff, then tell them to fuck off.

Keep what you need and sell what you don't.

One of them even gave me a death threat, it was pretty awesome.

Soulhouf said:
A question about the Palace of the Dead [spoiler warning]

I remember in the original game King Rodrick showed up in the 7th floor or so to talk about his glory days and how Dolgarua is his enemy. After that he show up randomly from time to time to teach a secret technique to a chosen character.
But here, I just bet the Palace of the Dead and Rodrick did not show up. Did they delete this part from the remake?

The HellGate special abilities aren't in the game anymore.
You can fight Rodrick in the coda quest to rescue Warren though.

I ordered a UK copy a couple of days ago for around the North American MSRP so that I could get a collector's edition without feeling like I missed out on some GameStop-exclusive swag.

All European copies of Tactics Ogre are the Premium Edition, I believe.

Seda said:
Oh, and bows (not crossbows) can shoot outside of the colored range tiles.

Good to know. What are the first skills I should be getting? It seemed logical to get counter-attack for everyone who can use it.

Just finished Chapter 2 Law on World. Is it just me, or is the story on the Law Route A LOT better? I've been so impressed with what I've seen so far in Chapter 2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jimmy Stav said:
Good to know. What are the first skills I should be getting? It seemed logical to get counter-attack for everyone who can use it.
For Archers, you want the SP skills pretty quickly. Archers becomes beasts in no time, so it's invaluable.

Jimmy Stav said:
After skimming this page I'm getting a little worried--grinding early is bad? Recruiting monsters is important? There's a crafting system?

There's nothing really bad about grinding early. The stat gains from leveling classes are small enough that over-leveling early doesn't really matter. Some monster classes can be useful, but playing with all humans is fine. Crafting is tedious as hell, but the items you get are pretty useful, though it's not necessary to use crafting.

Jerk

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
After skimming this page I'm getting a little worried--grinding early is bad? Recruiting monsters is important? There's a crafting system?

I suggest you do not grind. If you are going to do it, I suggest you spread out the XP or only do it to have a class catch up.

Monsters can be fun to have, but they are by no means 'important.' If you are going to bother, I suggest a Hydra and an Octopus.

The crafting system is poor and too cumbersome to use on a regular basis. Luckily enough, it is not needed.

Thanks guys. Is there a comprehensive "Keep This Shit in Mind" guide anywhere? I absolutely hate late-game realizations that you've been doing something wrong or missing something.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Just finished Chapter 2 Law on World. Is it just me, or is the story on the Law Route A LOT better? I've been so impressed with what I've seen so far in Chapter 2.

Law path certainly got the best Vyce.

Also events in the different paths are tailored to fit 3 separate characterizations for Denam(
i.e. Chaos Denam is kind of an asshole
).

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Law path certainly got the best Vyce.

Also events in the different paths are tailored to fit 3 separate characterizations for Denam(
i.e. Chaos Denam is kind of an asshole
).

Chaos Denam?

Jerk said:
Chaos Denam?

Yeah, he's a bit too self righteous, all thing considered.

Like when he just accuses that fat guy in chapter 3 of just being a blood thirsty asshole(a few scenes later you see the same guy and he comes of as extremely chivalrous, though irrationally patriotic), or when Cressidia was like "you killed my family!" and Denam was all "bitch, I don't care".

Chaos Denam's plot just doesn't work after Chapter 2. That storyline really needed it's own unique chapter 4, but because the branches needed to converge, they had to force chaos Denam into the same leadership role as law/neutral Denam and it doesn't flow right or make much sense. Law and neutral have a character arc and plot progression that is much better.

Jimmy Stav said:
Thanks guys. Is there a comprehensive "Keep This Shit in Mind" guide anywhere? I absolutely hate late-game realizations that you've been doing something wrong or missing something.

you can use the world system to track back to previous events if you miss something you want to get. it's like a time warp.

Augemitbutter said:
you can use the world system to track back to previous events if you miss something you want to get. it's like a time warp.

I saw that--items you collect or whatever carry over to your current save?

Fimbulvetr said:
You keep everything when you use world.

That's pretty cool. Some more questions (and I'm in Chapter 1 still, but nearing the end I believe):

Should my Wizard (I'm using Denton, the one you start with) diversify which elements he uses, or should I stick with one or two? He knows Dark and Fire right now.

Are there any class-specific skills I should skip or avoid in favor of their upgraded version? Counterattack 1 seems to be pretty useless, I've noticed.

How soon will I be getting new party members? The battles seem to be allowing me one more member (9 total) than I'm actually using. The extra few members I have in my group are redundant so I don't really use them. Can I expect to see some more classes popping up soon?

And how does class switching work? Is it like FFT where learned skills are retained?

My apologies for all of the questions (as I'm sure there will be more), but this game is pretty daunting. I am loving it, though.

Jimmy Stav said:
That's pretty cool. Some more questions (and I'm in Chapter 1 still, but nearing the end I believe):

Should my Wizard (I'm using Denton, the one you start with) diversify which elements he uses, or should I stick with one or two? He knows Dark and Fire right now.
One or two elements is best.

Using any more will fill up too many skill-slots you could be using for other things.

Jimmy Stav said:
Are there any class-specific skills I should skip or avoid in favor of their upgraded version? Counterattack 1 seems to be pretty useless, I've noticed.

Numbered skills(like Counterattack I, or Fortify I) need to be learned in order for you to get their upgraded versions.

Jimmy Stav said:
How soon will I be getting new party members? The battles seem to be allowing me one more member (9 total) than I'm actually using. The extra few members I have in my group are redundant so I don't really use them. Can I expect to see some more classes popping up soon?

You should already have some some classmarks to change your redundant units with, but yeah you should be encountering new ones in Chapter 2.

Jimmy Stav said:
And how does class switching work? Is it like FFT where learned skills are retained?

You keep all of your skills when you switch classes, but you can't use all of them.

There's a way to check which skills can still be used when you switch classes, basically whenever you are highlighting a skill in the menu, you just hold square and press left or right until the interface on the right side of the screen shows sprite portraits for each of the classes:

1. Blue circle means that class can learn and use the skill
  2. red X and a number means the class has to be a certain level before they can learn or use the skill
  3. red X with no number means the class can use the skill but not learn it on their own
  4. red X with gray icon means they can't learn or use the skill

Jerk

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Chaos Denam's plot just doesn't work after Chapter 2. That storyline really needed it's own unique chapter 4, but because the branches needed to converge, they had to force chaos Denam into the same leadership role as law/neutral Denam and it doesn't flow right or make much sense. Law and neutral have a character arc and plot progression that is much better.

But Neutral Denam is such a tool though...

Also, what was your main issue with Chaos?

Fimbulvetr said:
One or two elements is best.

Using any more will fill up too many skill-slots you could be using for other things.

Unless your are using the character as some sort of status-based mage. If that, then 3 even 4 elements can be made to work.

Fimbulvetr: Thanks! But I have one more question--when is a good time to grind? I'm realizing I probably should have been leveling up my unused members, but I'll wait to do so if there's a better time for it than Chapter 1.

Jerk

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Fimbulvetr: Thanks! But I have one more question--when is a good time to grind? I'm realizing I probably should have been leveling up my unused members, but I'll wait to do so if there's a better time for it than Chapter 1.

Ideally, you should not grind at all and simply enjoy the game at the default pace.

Except for new classes. Catching them up is the only time when it is worth the effort.

Jerk said:
Ideally, you should not grind at all and simply enjoy the game at the default pace.

Except for new classes. Catching them up is the only time when it is worth the effort.

Fair enough. I usually take that kind of thing for granted. I'd love not to have to grind.

Jimmy Stav said:
Fair enough. I usually take that kind of thing for granted. I'd love not to have to grind.

You will sometime in Chapter 2 unlock a re-runnable dungeon called Phorampa Wildwood or something like that. Each chapter, new areas get added to it. It's a pretty good place to level your unused classes from recruitment or whatever, as it will scale all the enemies to match your highest level guy you bring (I think to a minimum lvl of 8 or so?).

I've run it a few times, and almost have another "sub-party" of enough guys to do a run or two to bring them up to the level of my main group.

I like the sound of that.

I don't know what it is about this game, but I don't feel the same sense of direction that I do with other SRPGs. Like, is there a point where I should be saving up SP? I've just been spending them as I can on Knockback/Truestrike/etc., but I can't tell if this is even a worthwhile way of doing things or not.

Regardless, I haven't been having any real difficulty with the battles, so I must be doing something right.

Jimmy Stav said:
I like the sound of that.

I don't know what it is about this game, but I don't feel the same sense of direction that I do with other SRPGs. Like, is there a point where I should be saving up SP? I've just been spending them as I can on Knockback/Truestrike/etc., but I can't tell if this is even a worthwhile way of doing things or not.

Regardless, I haven't been having any real difficulty with the battles, so I must be doing something right.

Once you have all 10 skill slots for your guys, you'll find that you have more SP to spend than you have skill slots to fill.

Thank you.

I love this game.
Descending on Gatialo (first fight) with finishers was pretty satisfying

When's the right time to switch classes? I feel like my main should be a ninja (it just feels right), but I'm not sure when it's best to make the transition. Or should I leave the class to someone else?

Jimmy Stav said:
When's the right time to switch classes? I feel like my main should be a ninja (it just feels right), but I'm not sure when it's best to make the transition. Or should I leave the class to someone else?

Denam makes an excellent Ninja, and Ninjas are so effective that it's not an issue if you have more than one of them.

You can really switch classes whenever you want. Just remember that new classes start at level 1. They'll catch up to the rest of your party fairly quickly, but it's probably best not to introduce too many new classes at once or your party might be too weak.

Basileus777 said:
Denam makes an excellent Ninja, and Ninjas are so effective that it's not an issue if you have more than one of them.

You can really switch classes whenever you want. Just remember that new classes start at level 1. They'll catch up to the rest of your party fairly quickly, but it's probably best not to introduce too many new classes at once or your party might be too weak.

Heh, I only just realized that, after reading a lot about this game, that Denam is the main character. I had been assuming that he was someone who joined later on. Jesus.

Guess I'll switch him over from a Warrior because the class is getting fairly boring.

Seda

Beat the main game, game clock is above 200 hours.

post-game spoilers
Now gotta do some of the post-game stuff to get the Songstress

Anything else I should do before messing with the World Tarot?

I've barely touched the PotD yet....

Curufinwe

I just finished Chapter 1 recently, and all my characters are level 7 or 8, no one has changed class yet, and I haven't recruited any characters that weren't just automatic additions. Is that level of progression normal at this stage of the game?

Seda

Curufinwe said:
I just finished Chapter 1 recently, and all my characters are level 7 or 8, no one has changed class yet, and I haven't recruited any characters that weren't just automatic additions. Is that level of progression normal at this stage of the game?

Yeah that's pretty normal.

I wouldn't bother recruiting characters as you get plenty of recruitment from the story missions. I recruited 2 early on (one is now my main ninja, the other my rogue), but since then I have quite a few unique/semi-unique characters that sit in my party that I never take into battle.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, but class changes are completely decided by the player, using classmarks.

Curufinwe

Yeah, sorry, I worded that vaguely, but I know that I get to change the classes myself. I just haven't felt the need to do so when everyone's at such low levels and I haven't had too much trouble in battle so far... although I have heard making Denam a Knight is a good idea.

Seda said:
Beat the main game, game clock is above 200 hours.

post-game spoilers
Now gotta do some of the post-game stuff to get the Songstress

Anything else I should do before messing with the World Tarot?

I've barely touched the PotD yet....

Where did you spend most of your time?

Seda

Jimmy Stav said:
Where did you spend most of your time?

Probably training new classes.

I very well could've just left the game idle at some some point too.

Hah, my campaign calendar is stuck at day 8303, Day 1 of Blackscale.

Well at least this means Deneb's shop will stay in one place.

Argh, hit my first road block. I'm in chapter 2,
and trying to save Arycelle from a bunch of jerks.

No matter what I do, she keeps dying. It IS possible to rescue her right? Or is she just meant to die? I keep restarting on the chance she'll join up with me after the battle. I tried pushing my healer up as quickly as possible, but in 6 tries, he never makes it before they clamp down on her. I've tried using Canopus to rush in since he can bypass those damn annoying marshes, but it's still not enough to keep her afloat until the rest catch up. Should I just grind like crazy or something or is this not even worth the trouble?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MushroomSamba said:

No matter what I do, she keeps dying. It IS possible to rescue her right? Or is she just meant to die?
Welcome to the shitty design of SRPGs. You can save her, but you need lots of luck and aggression. Enjoy :)

kurohana

MushroomSamba said:

No matter what I do, she keeps dying. It IS possible to rescue her right? Or is she just meant to die? I keep restarting on the chance she'll join up with me after the battle. I tried pushing my healer up as quickly as possible, but in 6 tries, he never makes it before they clamp down on her. I've tried using Canopus to rush in since he can bypass those damn annoying marshes, but it's still not enough to keep her afloat until the rest catch up. Should I just grind like crazy or something or is this not even worth the trouble?
Something I do for that battle is use horns to turn the weather into thunder and rain. Gives her more of a chance to not get hit by arrows.

Is that the Chaos path? Or maybe you're just a bit farther than I am, because I haven't had that encounter yet. You should try equipping Canopus with a sling and healing her that way.

Jimmy Stav said:
Is that the Chaos path? Or maybe you're just a bit farther than I am, because I haven't had that encounter yet. You should try equipping Canopus with a sling and healing her that way.
I actually have no clue which path I'm on. Does it say it somewhere? And what's a sling? I don't see it in my inventory or the shop, so maybe you're ahead of me then. It's like the second battle encounter in Chapter 2.

kurohana said:
Something I do for that battle is use horns to turn the weather into thunder and rain. Gives her more of a chance to not get hit by arrows.
Worked like a charm! It wasn't so much the arrow dodging that helped me, but that it reduced the movement range for everybody but Canopus. He moved freely and whittled their forces while they were too busy stuck in the mud to chase after Acyelle. Thanks for the tip! I didn't even know what the horn was until you mentioned it.

Top Bottom