• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Arren

Yeah, Archers are indeed amazing and I costantly deploy at least two of them in battle. My Canopus currently wields a Crossbow, so it kinda counts like one too.

The fact is that I'm trying to avoid any incapacitation / death because of that missable Title, but things are becoming difficult with those aggressive Octopi wandering all through the map.

Soulhouf

faridmon said:
OK, I give up on the last battle. I really don't have the time and the patiance to play this again and again. the first part is annotying because he flies off to a cliff and I don't have any range class since they would have been murdered easily by the
doppelganger
but I got past it few times. However, the last battle is bullshit. It feels that I should have levelled up more and gotten better calss (since I do have the original class and thats that) which pisses me off. Sadly I have to added to backlog, which I never thought I would have do it since I really loved and wasted so many hours playing through, but when Japanese Devs learn how to not spike the challange on thier bloody last bosses. thats when I will enjoy it fully.

Great game, better story than FFT by miles. However, the clss system could have been better. teh level up system is ruubbish since it requiirse you to grind for SP rather than levels which is piss taking.

and since P3P is coming my way, I don't think I will try it again. maybe sometime in the future I will replay it again and play it right untill i fiish that bloody last boss off easly.

Maybe thats my problem. I don't have any archers in my party since they sucked at low level and thought they are nerferd compared to FFT ones. *sigh*

Do you have a wizard/witch/warlock/whatever dark magic user with "drain TP" ability? If so, all you have to do is drain his TP while the other units concentrate on killing him.
His special attack is very strong so if you can avoid it (by draining his TP) it makes the fight much easier.

red13th

And if you are using status magic, don't forget to slot Spellstrike for better accuracy. It makes a world of difference. Really. My Witch couldn't ever hit her Shackle spell but my Wizard would 100% hit with almost everything - after wondering what was wrong with her, I notice he had Spellstrike II and she didn't even have Spellstrike I.

I found Shackle to be my go-to status effect BTW. Shackled enemies would just move close to my squishy units and pretty much just stand there doing nothing while being whacked by Arycelle/Berserker/whoever. I tried using Sleep but then I couldn't hit them or they woke up, and Petrify made them resist my arrows.

faridmon

Soulhouf said:
Do you have a wizard/witch/warlock/whatever dark magic user with "drain TP" ability? If so, all you have to do is drain his TP while the other units concentrate on killing him.
His special attack is very strong so if you can avoid it (by draining his TP) it makes the fight much easier.
I don't have that either. My magician is Wind/Water user and I haven't focused much on Dark Magic. Mayebe I should replay ths game from start. I don't mind really, since it was really fun, but it drained lot of my time.

Also, how would I get a wizard class? The only offensive agic class user I have is a sorcerer (or what ever they are spelled)

Osietra

Banned
When are the exorcism scrolls available? I can't seem to buy them and I'm probably around the 105 hrs mark into the game. Do you have to finish a certain quest or something?

Osietra said:
When are the exorcism scrolls available? I can't seem to buy them and I'm probably around the 105 hrs mark into the game. Do you have to finish a certain quest or something?

That's impossible. It should be in any shop.

Soulhouf

faridmon said:
I don't have that either. My magician is Wind/Water user and I haven't focused much on Dark Magic. Mayebe I should replay ths game from start. I don't mind really, since it was really fun, but it drained lot of my time.

Also, how would I get a wizard class? The only offensive agic class user I have is a sorcerer (or what ever they are spelled)
Wizard is the basic magician class. You can steal it/drop the mark from enemies or purchase it in shops I believe. It is a good idea to train a wizard before switching it to a higher magic caster class like warlock.

And yeah, it is not mentioned anywhere but dark magic is by far the most useful offensive magic in the game: strong magic attacks, nasty status effects and you can drain almost everything with it (HP for auto heal, MP and TP).
A dark magic caster which is equipped with "meditate" skill is almost invincible.

faridmon

Soulhouf said:
Wizard is the basic magician class. You can steal it/drop the mark from enemies or purchase it in shops I believe. It is a good idea to train a wizard before switching it to a higher magic caster class like warlock.

And yeah, it is not mentioned anywhere but dark magic is by far the most useful offensive magic in the game: strong magic attacks, nasty status effects and you can drain almost everything with it (HP for auto heal, MP and TP).
A dark magic caster which is equipped with "meditate" skill is almost invincible.
Just talking about it making me feel that I should replay the game from scratch and play it the way it is supposed to play, i.e. make that battele a bit easier. Damn, so many things have I missed during my gamplay.

Soulhouf said:

Then you run into a zombie fight :p

The CC spells are still great!

faridmon

Shuusui said:
Anyone notice how ridiculously overpowered Orbs are - especially with an augment element skill?
I do not now what that is, Even I put over 80 hours in the game...

SatelliteOfLove said:
Then you run into a zombie fight :p

The CC spells are still great!
That is the reason why I changed from dark magic to Wind/Water magic.

What are CC spells?

faridmon said:

There are these items that you can only buy by auctioning Dragons to Deneb first.

They are basically powered up versions of magic bombs.

faridmon

Fimbulvetr said:
There are these items that you can only buy by auctioning Dragons to Deneb first.

They are basically powered up versions of magic bombs.
Thanks!

Everythings comes back to recruiting in this game. I guess hwen I replay this game, this is where I am going to focus all my energy on.

Osietra

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
That's impossible. It should be in any shop.
Oh man, I didn't realise that the exorcism scrolls are the actual spell scrolls in the magic section, I was convinced that they were something akin to the resurrection orbs or whatever they're called. Hilariousness.

Seda

In the process of training up my first fusiler to roughly the same level as everyone else (level 30). This takes a while :/

faridmon said:

That is the reason why I changed from dark magic to Wind/Water magic.

What are CC spells?

Crowd Control. Dark has the strongest library of them of the elements.

Wrekt

I just finished this last night. It's a long game so I'm gonna go on a long rant.

Going through the spoilers in this thread his hilarious. I don't even recognize 90% of the recruitable characters. I went order and I have a full group of special characters but they don't match what a lot of people are saying.

I really liked the game but the balance is shockingly bad. My
Xapan
as a ninja did about 120 damage per swing to the average enemy by the end of the game. Meanwhile my
Hobyrim
as his default Swordmaster did about 50 damage per swing and he only gets 1 attack per round. He literally does 1/5 of the damage per turn despite being the same level and having the same quality gear and skills. Oh, and his move and jump distance is half of what my Ninjas are. My
Vice
as his default Ranger class was doing 30 damage per swing and he even had unique swords. It's not limited to melee as
Catiua
as her special class was more useless than a generic.

Final Fantasy Tactics (which is my favorite game ever) only got saved from this problem because of completely overpowered special characters like Orlandu. Outside those few special characters, the best parties in both games seem to be half ninjas and half archers with a couple healers thrown in for good measure.

In keeping with JRPG tradition, casters get boned for 90% of the game. At level 1 my healers casted heal to restore 40 hp. My special character cleric with the best gear outside of the post-game dungeon was casting heal for... 45 hp. And what is the point of even having resurrect as a spell? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but my healer *never* has close to 100 mp outside of making her down a few mana pots at the beginning of a fight which costs 5x as much as just using a blessing stone. I stopped using damage casters right after the 2nd round of damage spells became available. They weren't doing half the damage of my archers while being constrained by mana, poor range and line of sight issues on their good nukes. Enemy casters were a joke until the end game and even then they either do 1 damage per nuke or nearly 1 shot my squishies. Status magic is nice when it hits but I could just use a ninja, walk halfway across the map each turn and 1 shot those enemies instead of praying that stun hits AND he stumbles on his next turn.

It really is an awesome game but the balance, the crafting system and gear acquisition (recruit that character or hope he drops a bag when he dies and doesn't give you your 500th Brigandine instead of his Sword Of The Rape) bug me. I just turned it back on to head to the post-game dungeons to see what I can scrounge up there. Even though some things piss me off about this game, I still can't stay away.

Wrekt

faridmon said:
What does Crowd Control do?
It keeps the enemy from attacking or casting. This can be achieved in multiple ways. Casting petrify on an enemy will prevent them from doing anything. Casting a bound spell on a pure melee class will also keep him out of your way. So any status effects that prevent an enemy from using a turn against you is considered crowd control.

faridmon

Wrekt said:
It keeps the enemy from attacking or casting. This can be achieved in multiple ways. Casting petrify on an enemy will prevent them from doing anything. Casting a bound spell on a pure melee class will also keep him out of your way. So any status effects that prevent an enemy from using a turn against you is considered crowd control.
oh, thanks. and yeah, the game is hugely unbalanced. The healers are usless and apart from Ninjas and maybe Knight, the others are just unimpressive.

and according to GAF Archers are overpowered.

Wrekt said:
I really liked the game but the balance is shockingly bad. My
Xapan
as a ninja did about 120 damage per swing to the average enemy by the end of the game. Meanwhile my
Hobyrim
as his default Swordmaster did about 50 damage per swing and he only gets 1 attack per round. He literally does 1/5 of the damage per turn despite being the same level and having the same quality gear and skills. Oh, and his move and jump distance is half of what my Ninjas are. My
Vice
as his default Ranger class was doing 30 damage per swing and he even had unique swords. It's not limited to melee as
Catiua
as her special class was more useless than a generic.

Your Hobs sounds like balls, mine was doing 70+ damage per hit and building up even more damage due to Preempt + Counter Attack III(which would do around 120+ combined).

My Vyce was doing about double Hobs normal attack due to his dual wielding.

Also Priest Catiua does more damage than most casters, has a the same movement range as a melee class, all while still having every healing spell a Cleric can learn. Unless you made her a Princess immediately and put on the front lines(which doesn't really work since she still works best as a healer) I don't see how she could be useless.

Wrekt said:
Final Fantasy Tactics (which is my favorite game ever) only got saved from this problem because of completely overpowered special characters like Orlandu. Outside those few special characters, the best parties in both games seem to be half ninjas and half archers with a couple healers thrown in for good measure.

How does having a character break the game as soon as you get him make the game more balanced?

Jerk

Banned
You know, by the time you get the choice, I much prefer princess to priest for Catiua.

Also, Hobs is wasted as a Swordmaster. Dat Dex...

Jerk said:
You know, by the time you get the choice, I much prefer princess to priest for Catiua.
It's only useless if you try to use her as melee(why even give her the option to use swords?). She can still work as an amazing healer only you trade her damage output as a Priest with non-shitty physical defense as a Princess.

Also, I haven't actually made a permanent ninja yet. I think after everyone reaches the max level for their class I will level them all up as Ninjas at the same time. :p

Wrekt

Fimbulvetr said:
How does having a character break the game as soon as you get him make the game more balanced?
I didn't say it made it more balanced. I said it gave me a reason to have a team wasn't half ninja/half archer.

Soulhouf

"Princess" is the only healer class in the game able to use the skill "Meditate" and that makes her awesome. Besides she has better defense than "priest".

Soulhouf said:
"Princess" is the only healer class in the game able to use the skill "Meditate" and that makes her awesome. Besides she has better defense than "priest".
Oh yeah, and this too.

My Catiua has Channeling II, Expand Mind II, Meditate, and Tactician I. She basically always has enough MP to cast anything except Heal III(which won't be an issue once Meditate levels up at least once).

tokkun

Wrekt said:

The best team in FFT is 5 Black Mage or Time Mage with Calculate as their 2nd skill. Orlandeau is useless compared to maxed Calculate.

Seda

Soulhouf said:

Wait, my princess can't learn meditate. Is mine just not a high enough level? Do I have to learn it as another class?

Haha, wow, I never knew classes could use skills learned from other classes. Oops.

Also, can one obtain any more Wicce classmarks? I taught my necromancer and warlock Meditate, but I want to teach Deneb as well, but I can't change her back to a Wicce.

Any other classes the benefit from skills they can use, but not learn?

ucdawg12

ugh this game has been a major disappointment early. i have only played a couple battles but i hate the UI, i hate going to the shop and not having any idea what i should be doing without exiting and checking each individual character. buying spells seems just as much of a pain. managing skills and ranks seems like just another way to complicate things. i hate how useless my mage and archers seem to be in that they need a clear shot or they're just going to hit one of my own guys instead so their turns become useless until they get that shot lined up. i dont like what i'm hearing about crafting, about recruiting beasts and stuff... and even though my guys damage for crap, i shouldnt be leveling them because of this weird leveling system that is going to gimp the crap out of future characters\classes? that affects the beasts too so wheres the fun in recruiting them if its already a pain in the ass and they'll be useless anyway? and i've got this NPC character i need to save on a suicide mission... what the hell is going on with this game?

i am hoping the story is as good as people say, i loved FFT's story and really havent enjoyed games in a while because of how bad stories seem to have gotten lately but it really seems like this team went out of their way to make an incredibly convoluted and frustrating gameplay experience for god knows why. i can't believe this is their 2nd crack at it.

i mean isnt a big source of fun for a lot of people in these SRPGS customization of teams and experimentation? they give you all these options of classes and weapons but they make the whole thing so taxing as to discourage you from trying to figure out what do to, resign yourself to whatever they gave you to start with and plow through from there. it seems like some people say you have to wait to use some classes for your 2nd play through? what the hell? i dont know why i'd want to put up with all this a 2nd time. i thought replays were there because the basic gameplay was so fun the first time and not because so much was withheld from you for whatever reason. i was really really excited for this game but now cannot believe the reviews it got unless they were for story alone.

ucdawg12 said:
ugh this game has been a major disappointment early. i have only played a couple battles but i hate the UI, i hate going to the shop and not having any idea what i should be doing without exiting and checking each individual character. buying spells seems just as much of a pain. managing skills and ranks seems like just another way to complicate things. i hate how useless my mage and archers seem to be in that they need a clear shot or they're just going to hit one of my own guys instead so their turns become useless until they get that shot lined up. i dont like what i'm hearing about crafting, about recruiting beasts and stuff... and even though my guys damage for crap, i shouldnt be leveling them because of this weird leveling system that is going to gimp the crap out of future characters\classes? that affects the beasts too so wheres the fun in recruiting them if its already a pain in the ass and they'll be useless anyway? and i've got this NPC character i need to save on a suicide mission... what the hell is going on with this game?

i am hoping the story is as good as people say, i loved FFT's story and really havent enjoyed games in a while because of how bad stories seem to have gotten lately but it really seems like this team went out of their way to make an incredibly convoluted and frustrating gameplay experience for god knows why. i can't believe this is their 2nd crack at it.

i mean isnt a big source of fun for a lot of people in these SRPGS customization of teams and experimentation? they give you all these options of classes and weapons but they make the whole thing so taxing as to discourage you from trying to figure out what do to, resign yourself to whatever they gave you to start with and plow through from there. it seems like some people say you have to wait to use some classes for your 2nd play through? what the hell? i dont know why i'd want to put up with all this a 2nd time. i thought replays were there because the basic gameplay was so fun the first time and not because so much was withheld from you for whatever reason. i was really really excited for this game but now cannot believe the reviews it got unless they were for story alone.

Haha, holy shit wow! So basically you've only done a few battles and 90% post is regurgitating shit from min-maxers?

Just play the damn game your own way.

ferr

ucdawg12 said:

Yeah, the UI isn't that great. When you have the money, buy one of each weapon/armor and do your comparisons from within your own party screen.. makes things much easier.

Aside from the UI not being so hot.. the gameplay is great and the story is awesome. There is a ton of content in this game. It's really good.

Seda

ucdawg12 said:

All the UI criticisms there are valid. I'm not sure what is up with the bolded. I'm way over leveled I believe (My classes are level 32, plot-wise, I just got
Cachua
on my team.) I was around that level when I got my first fusiler on my team. Yes, it took a while to get him caught up to everyone else, since he started at level 3, but he kicks ass now. I have hardly bothered with crafting at all, just going with weapons and armor that I've picked up or that I can buy.

The "second play-through" can be done using a system where all items, characters, levels, skills, and magic are carried from a "first playthrough". I haven't done this yet as I haven't beaten the game, but you do not have to do all the grinding again. The game has branching paths, but you can jump back to certain points once you've beaten the game to check other paths.

These games always have a slow start. Play some before battles, at least get to the end of chapter 1. Certain parts of the game mechanics will become easy.

As for shops and items, its gets to a point where a new piece of equipment is obvious, almost hard to come by, because the shops don't update frequently.

But the game does require some micro-managing, like all games of this sort. I have 22 party members I use, and I have make sure they learn skills and magic as they can.

Also, the game can eat up hours. I'm at 175.

Definitely not for everyone. I like it a lot.

ucdawg12

i want to. thats my problem is this game doesnt seem to want to let me. but like you said im still early in the game.

i like recruiting beasts and having a team with varied character classes and stuff. thats how i want to play but the game seems to discourage this?

you could say "well then its helpful if you approach it like this, or you can do this you just need to..." or something that would help me enjoy the game more and get around some of the concerns and problems i might be having. i want to enjoy this game. i would rather find a way past these issues. i know im venting (and i know its a pain in the ass to read someone venting when you're a fan, and im sorry about that) but i'm not hoping this game stays unenjoyable, you know? im not so proud that if there are ways around my problems that i will ignore them so i can bare a grudge based off a first impression.

i don't really know anything about min-maxing. it just started with the suicidal NPC, then thinking i needed to grind a few levels so that I could keep her from dying, in the process of doing that i learned that apparently grinding early is very bad (from this thread), noticed upgrading equipment\spells\skills and all this stuff was really cumbersome. then i noticed my mage was simply attacking my own characters. it just got more and more frustrating and a little paralyzing because i had no idea what i was supposed to be doing anymore.

edit: and thanks ferr and seda for the responses. thats what i needed. sorry about the tone of my previous post, i was more than a little frustrated at the time... lol

epmode

Every time I come back to this game, the guest characters make me want to die.

Really, it's goddamned miserable that I have to protect some lobotomized AI in so many battles and not just the designated SAVE THIS NPC sections.

edit: I don't even understand the reasoning. Maybe if it only happened in the tutorial sections where there's little chance that the AI will get itself killed but these idiots are changing my strategy in nearly every story fight I've seen.

Peff

ucdawg12 said:
i want to. thats my problem is this game doesnt seem to want to let me. but like you said im still early in the game.

i like recruiting beasts and having a team with varied character classes and stuff. thats how i want to play but the game seems to discourage this?

you could say "well then its helpful if you approach it like this, or you can do this you just need to..." or something that would help me enjoy the game more and get around some of the concerns and problems i might be having. i want to enjoy this game. i would rather find a way past these issues. i know im venting (and i know its a pain in the ass to read someone venting when you're a fan, and im sorry about that) but i'm not hoping this game stays unenjoyable, you know? im not so proud that if there are ways around my problems that i will ignore them so i can bare a grudge based off a first impression.

i don't really know anything about min-maxing. it just started with the suicidal NPC, then thinking i needed to grind a few levels so that I could keep her from dying, in the process of doing that i learned that apparently grinding early is very bad (from this thread), noticed upgrading equipment\spells\skills and all this stuff was really cumbersome. then i noticed my mage was simply attacking my own characters. it just got more and more frustrating and a little paralyzing because i had no idea what i was supposed to be doing anymore.

edit: and thanks ferr and seda for the responses. thats what i needed. sorry about the tone of my previous post, i was more than a little frustrated at the time... lol

Grinding early on is not bad so much as it is nice to have the option to do it later. That is to say, if you don't use the early units to grind (since it's very much possible to finish the game without doing so) the non-generic units will have a bigger margin of levels to gain bonuses from. But it isn't a big deal because:

A) Several named units have exclusive classes.
B) The level-up bonus isn't quite as big as to make a huge difference (I believe it is just 5 extra points from level 0 to 50).

So if you want to, feel free to grind a little and get better skills and units. Hopefully the game gets better for you.

ucdawg12 said:

where did you read this? it's simply not true. i've found use for every class i've tried and almost never had more than one class type in my party at once. try as many classes as you like, experimenting is splendid in this game.

item management won't be an issue once you're familiar with this game. only crafting will stay cumbersome when you get near the end of the game.

Seda

I have one character of each class I'm come across, with the exception of
Priest, because she's a Princess instead
. I'm not bothering with monsters at all.

I have
Arcelle
as a Dragoon.

I have
Donnalto
as a beast master.

Both are awesome, even though are classes they did not start out as.

My weakest/least useful unit is probably my rogue, but thats expected.

I was thinking about picking up the guide from Amazon and it is now showing that it will ship in 1-3 months. Is the damn thing already out of print? The lowest reseller is selling it for $40. :|

Soulhouf

Seda said:
Haha, wow, I never knew classes could use skills learned from other classes. Oops.
Any other classes the benefit from skills they can use, but not learn?
"Lord" can't basically learn any useful skill but he will be able to use most of the other skills that the game offers, which makes this class really awesome.

Kikujiro

Big Papa Husker said:
I was thinking about picking up the guide from Amazon and it is now showing that it will ship in 1-3 months. Is the damn thing already out of print? The lowest reseller is selling it for $40. :|

It was out of print since the beginning.

Soulhouf

A question about the Palace of the Dead [spoiler warning]

I remember in the original game King Rodrick showed up in the 7th floor or so to talk about his glory days and how Dolgarua is his enemy. After that he show up randomly from time to time to teach a secret technique to a chosen character.
But here, I just bet the Palace of the Dead and Rodrick did not show up. Did they delete this part from the remake?

Beat the game yesterday; fantastic remake.

I was looking forward to messing with the World card, but the level scaling REALLY killed it for me. It's "Oblivion" syndrome all over again; there's no sense of reward in leveling, because you always face enemies as strong as you.

Seda

Vyse The Legend said:
Beat the game yesterday; fantastic remake.

I was looking forward to messing with the World card, but the level scaling REALLY killed it for me. It's "Oblivion" syndrome all over again; there's no sense of reward in leveling, because you always face enemies as strong as you.

This is what I what wondering about with the world tarot. I figure I won't mess with it either.

Seda said:
This is what I what wondering about with the world tarot. I figure I won't mess with it either.

Seriously, my guys were in their 30s during the last dungeon, and we pretty much decimated everything, thanks to all the time I spent grinding the temples and acquiring the best crafting books. However, I went back to an earlier point in the story, and while I was still winning, all the enemies scaled to my level, so suddenly my awesome gear became considerably less awesome.

I think the level scaling works for the tougher side dungeons (temples, palace, etc.), but it's super silly in the story quests.

Top Bottom