• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

lupin23rd

Close to the end of the game, just got
Catiua
back in my party... Where can I find some hydras to complete my collection for recruiting Deneb?

I've heard theres one at Lhazan Fortress but I can't seem to trigger a battle there. Already recruited the character my first time there, and also cleared the second time there with the cleric boss. However now that I have the topic available that unlocks the rest of the fortresses it still doesn't go to a battle.

Any ideas? (law route if the above could apply to more than one)

lupin23rd said:
Close to the end of the game, just got
Catiua
back in my party... Where can I find some hydras to complete my collection for recruiting Deneb?

I've heard theres one at Lhazan Fortress but I can't seem to trigger a battle there. Already recruited the character my first time there, and also cleared the second time there with the cleric boss. However now that I have the topic available that unlocks the rest of the fortresses it still doesn't go to a battle.

Any ideas? (law route if the above could apply to more than one)

One of the early battles in the Hanging Gardens has 2 Hydras in it. I can't remember which map it is right now though.

Seda

So I'm in Chapter 4 after taking the Chaos route, and trying to get
Cressida
in my party. I need to get my Galgastan reputation up, so I'm in the process of doing the so called "Galganstan Death March". Bunch o fun.

Actually doesn't seem too bad when I casually do this while watching movies/shows.

irriadin

This game is so addicting. 46 hours in and I'm only at the beginning of Act IV. The music, art and story are all top-notch. If I have any reservations whatsoever, it would be that 1. I'm disappointed that the scenes between battles typically involve Denam and generics rather than any of the named characters. I'm guessing this is due to the branching paths, which would make things difficult. But still, it irks. 2. The enemies (thus far) are too genteel and chivalrous; maybe I'm expecting too much, but sometimes I wish the dialogue was less refined and more personal.

red13th

This is the best remake ever. Heck it might as well be the best game ever. I played Tactics Ogre for the PS1 and even though I loved it, I'm completely crazy about this version.

I thought was following the same path as my PS1 playthrough, but after
the second branching point
things started to get different a bit from what I remembered. I was under the impression I had done Chaos back in the day, but when
Orias and Debordes never showed up
I realized it was actually Neutral. Heh!

But I'm enjoying this plotline so I won't load a new save, and there's the New Game + after you finish it anyway.
I'm pretty shocked that I rejoined the duke when I was a teenager LOL
. Definitely not what I thought I would have done.

irriadin

Fimbulvetr said:
What did you want them to be?

Generic evil mooks?

No, not at all. I think my problem is that I'm expecting this game to be something it's not. I keep looking for bastards of the sort you might see in a George RR Martin novel, but just as three-dimensional. Actually, I just played a portion that fit what I was looking for:
Balzephon committing patricide, laying the blame on Hobyrim, and then taking his betrothed, Ozma, earns him class A bastard status

I get that the dialogue is much more Arthurian and less anachronistic than a lot of other games in the genre, and I'm perfectly fine with that. A lot of the content in Act IV is rectifying what little issues I had with the game.

irriadin said:
No, not at all. I think my problem is that I'm expecting this game to be something it's not. I keep looking for bastards of the sort you might see in a George RR Martin novel, but just as three-dimensional. Actually, I just played a portion that fit what I was looking for:
Balzephon committing patricide, laying the blame on Hobyrim, and then taking his betrothed, Ozma, earns him class A bastard status

I get that the dialogue is much more Arthurian and less anachronistic than a lot of other games in the genre, and I'm perfectly fine with that. A lot of the content in Act IV is rectifying what little issues I had with the game.

Ah okay, I see what you mean. Despite the subject matter, Matsuno stories are generally on the more optimistic side of things.

Also, Law path bros.

msGXQ.gif

irriadin

Fimbulvetr said:
Ah okay, I see what you mean. Despite the subject matter, Matsuno stories are generally on the more optimistic side of things.

Also, Law path bros.

Fran and Balthier are awesome. Final Fantasy XII would have been up there with VI if Matsuno had stayed as director, I have no doubts.

Law path is the best because
Ozma is too awesome to not get in your party. Knight Commander class FTW! Now off to get her leveled up from 1-18...

Also noticed something weird during the sidequest where you get her...
If Hobyrim is KO'd, Ozma will not surrender even if you get her to 1HP. After failing the mission once already by accidentally killing her (Ravness countered her to death), I was like "WTF?!" when I had her down to 1HP and she wasn't relenting.

Jerk

Banned
irriadin said:
Fran and Balthier are awesome. Final Fantasy XII would have been up there with VI if Matsuno had stayed as director, I have no doubts.

Law path is the best because
Ozma is too awesome to not get in your party. Knight Commander class FTW! Now off to get her leveled up from 1-18...

Also noticed something weird during the sidequest where you get her...
If Hobyrim is KO'd, Ozma will not surrender even if you get her to 1HP. After failing the mission once already by accidentally killing her (Ravness countered her to death), I was like "WTF?!" when I had her down to 1HP and she wasn't relenting.

Law is the best mostly because of Vyce. Chaos Vyce is too cartoonishly evil to take seriously.

Jerk said:
Law is the best mostly because of Vyce. Chaos Vyce is too cartoonishly evil to take seriously.

I know a bunch of people complain about
Law path getting more special recruits than the others,
but it actually makes a lot of sense.

Denam's character development is somewhat altered depending on the path you play through. Law path emphasizes forgiveness and repentance. As such Law Denam is willing to accept people that Chaos Denam isn't; people who have committed past wrongs, and people who can accept atonement from others.

Jeunan, Ozma, Ganpp; Denam can forgive these people for their transgressions because he himself was in a position in which he fucked up and is in the middle of trying to make things right.

Occione, Ravness, and Denam himself have all been wronged, but can learn to accept others' flaws and work towards helping them fix their mistakes.

Despite the event that sets it off, Law is arguably the most optimistic path of the three.

Or you can be a huge hypocrite and none of those people will want to join you because you suck. :p

Arcyelle joining still should have been Chaos only, though.

Also I just realized that
Chaos path gets Law Vyce, Law path gets Neutral Vyce, and Neutral path gets Chaos Vyce.

Weird.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Also I just realized that
Chaos path gets Law Vyce, Law path gets Neutral Vyce, and Neutral path gets Chaos Vyce.

Weird.

You think so? No matter the path, Vyce is supposed to be your foil, so those make complete sense.

Law is only the most optimistic because it places Denam in situations where repentance and acceptance are actual options. Chaos Denam gets thrown into all sorts of shit where he has no other recourse than murder.

Maiar_m

Jerk said:
You think so? No matter the path, Vyce is supposed to be your foil, so those make complete sense.

Law is only the most optimistic because it places Denam in situations where repentance and acceptance are actual options. Chaos Denam gets thrown into all sorts of shit where he has no other recourse than murder.

Wait, what? Isn't murder the ONLY way? :p

This is my second Tactics Ogre experience, I first did Knight of Lodis on GBA. The class system sort of annoys me, I feel discouraged to change my characters to new classes because i know it means I'm going to have to basically start them from scratch again. I'm trying to build a team of Dragoons for those maps where there are, well, dragons, and it is taking me forever.

Also, during the part of the game where you're supposed to rescue a Wizard held by a bunch of pirates, I kind of let him get killed and moved on. Did I miss something? I'm guessing I'm on the Law route (I'm nice that way.)

Maiar_m said:
Also, during the part of the game where you're supposed to rescue a Wizard held by a bunch of pirates, I kind of let him get killed and moved on. Did I miss something? I'm guessing I'm on the Law route (I'm nice that way.)

You're on the Chaos route. Law doesn't mean good here, it means obeying orders. If you had saved Bayin, he would have joined your party and you would have had the option of recruiting two other characters. Or maybe you can still get Folcurt and Cistina to join you, I'm not sure.

Jerk said:

It's just that I thought Law Denam would have a Chaos Vyce and Chaos Denam would have a Law Vyce, which made it weird that
Vyce would rejoin you in Law.
Then I started thinking about how the Neutral path factored into it and now it makes sense.

Jerk said:

True but Chaos Denam has a chance to reconcile with the resistance(of course once that happens he's Neutral Denam). Ironically, if he does he ends up even more alienated because he comes off as wishy washy.

Maiar_m

Basileus777 said:
You're on the Chaos route. Law doesn't mean good here, it means obeying orders. If you had saved Bayin, he would have joined your party and you would have had the option of recruiting two other characters. Or maybe you can still get Folcurt and Cistina to join you, I'm not sure.
I sort of wondered, yeah, makes sense. Well too bad if I'm bound to miss many good characters :( I'll be able to see the Law side of the game with WORLD, won't I?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
uh... ok, this game is AMAZING.

My only complaint, besides the UI and guest characters, is that you can't make the zoomed out view in battles the default option. The default view is that blurry mess that hurt my eyeballs, who the fuck plays with this view? srsly...

irriadin

Still loving this game. I'm right before Hanging Gardens. I can't believe what just happened...
Lancelot Hamilton... if the guy in the church is truly him, then that has got to be one of the most depressing twists I've ever seen in a videogame.

lupin23rd

Just beat the game, and jumped into some of the post-game.

Finding the first part of that a little tough since I did some power-levelling at the end of the game in early 30s for most guys), is there a trick to getting the upper-hand?

Don't really have the books to craft anything out of new gear I can buy now, and pretty sick of some of the enemies in the Pirates Graveyard on my way to recruit
Iuria
. Almost tempted to jump in with a level 1 class and hope my guys are beefed up enough from their past experience that I can take it, although I probably sold all the relevant gear for that.

Also as part of the post-game, did I just read somewhere that
you have to go to the bottom of the Palace of the Dead to get Warren
? Ugh, I really don't want to do that.

lupin23rd said:
Just beat the game, and jumped into some of the post-game.

Finding the first part of that a little tough since I did some power-levelling at the end of the game in early 30s for most guys), is there a trick to getting the upper-hand?

not really. build up your points and wack the boss with your finishers. guard your weaker characters until you get there, that's it.

red13th

I thought Archers were supposed to be nerfed from the original but I think they are still overpowered. I just finished chapter 3 Chaos and Arycelle singlehanded won the
Oz and Ozma
fight. My strategy was basically giving her Strenghten, Quicken and some elemental Infusion and spam Tremendous Shot. Enormous range, well over 100 damage on almost every enemy. She one-shot every squishy even without the elemental bonus damage.

Only one with comparable damage output is my Berserker Denam with Sanguine Assault (this skill is totally ridiculous), but he's melee. The fight before the last one in chapter 3 had some
high defense black Golems
and he was dealing well over 80 damage to them with Sanguine Assault (without it he dealt like 12). Of course
Arycelle two-shot the Swordmaster boss (she took him to red health with a single Tremendous Shot)
so it's not like Denam was really necessary.

After reading about the stuff involving the 15 year war and the Apocrypha I would totally be up for a game with Dorgalua as the protagonist.

Seda

Deneb is way too expensive to hire. Nearly have all the dragons I need, save for Arc Dragons (they only show up a limited amount of times..)

I have 1, And I understand that I can auction it off to get classmarks to turn other dragons into Arc Dragons.

Then I have to get Glass Pumpkins.

Seda said:
Deneb is way too expensive to hire. Nearly have all the dragons I need, save for Arc Dragons (they only show up a limited amount of times..)

I have 1, And I understand that I can auction it off to get classmarks to turn other dragons into Arc Dragons.

Then I have to get Glass Pumpkins.

Don't forget the orbs. :p

hertog

I really miss the FFT WotL shopping system. I got outfit characters. Now it's still guessing which weapon is better.
I can only see if they can use the equipment, not if they're better off with it.

hertog said:
I really miss the FFT WotL shopping system. I got outfit characters. Now it's still guessing which weapon is better.
I can only see if they can use the equipment, not if they're better off with it.
You learn pretty quick.

Yaweee

Long article, lots of design artwork from both the original and the remake (some of which he had posted on Twitter a few weeks back).

Ri'Orius

Alright, I just finished the game for the first time, Chaos path. Two things I'd like to find before I put it down for now:

-Where can I get some low-level fusils? I just went back to the only fight I knew of that had a fusilier to recruit him, but now the only gun I have requires level 22. I don't expect him to be that useful until he gets around there anyway, but it'd be nice if he weren't completely unarmed...

-Where can I find divine units to recruit? I purchased the skill to recruit them way back in chapter one, but I don't think I ever ran into a unit that was divine...

Ri'Orius said:
-Where can I get some low-level fusils? I just went back to the only fight I knew of that had a fusilier to recruit him, but now the only gun I have requires level 22. I don't expect him to be that useful until he gets around there anyway, but it'd be nice if he weren't completely unarmed...

You probably should have tried finding one before heading to Hiem. You could try using WORLD to go back in time and recruit Lindl(assuming he is even in the Chaos route) or Diego since both come with a Rimfire.

faridmon

OK, I give up on the last battle. I really don't have the time and the patiance to play this again and again. the first part is annotying because he flies off to a cliff and I don't have any range class since they would have been murdered easily by the
doppelganger
but I got past it few times. However, the last battle is bullshit. It feels that I should have levelled up more and gotten better calss (since I do have the original class and thats that) which pisses me off. Sadly I have to added to backlog, which I never thought I would have do it since I really loved and wasted so many hours playing through, but when Japanese Devs learn how to not spike the challange on thier bloody last bosses. thats when I will enjoy it fully.

Great game, better story than FFT by miles. However, the clss system could have been better. teh level up system is ruubbish since it requiirse you to grind for SP rather than levels which is piss taking.

and since P3P is coming my way, I don't think I will try it again. maybe sometime in the future I will replay it again and play it right untill i fiish that bloody last boss off easly.

red_13th said:
I thought Archers were supposed to be nerfed from the original but I think they are still overpowered. I just finished chapter 3 Chaos and Arycelle singlehanded won the
Oz and Ozma
fight. My strategy was basically giving her Strenghten, Quicken and some elemental Infusion and spam Tremendous Shot. Enormous range, well over 100 damage on almost every enemy. She one-shot every squishy even without the elemental bonus damage.
Maybe thats my problem. I don't have any archers in my party since they sucked at low level and thought they are nerferd compared to FFT ones. *sigh*

Yaweee

faridmon said:
OK, I give up on the last battle. I really don't have the time and the patiance to play this again and again. the first part is annotying because he flies off to a cliff and I don't have any range class since they would have been murdered easily by the
doppelganger
but I got past it few times. However, the last battle is bullshit. It feels that I should have levelled up more and gotten better calss (since I do have the original class and thats that) which pisses me off. Sadly I have to added to backlog, which I never thought I would have do it since I really loved and wasted so many hours playing through, but when Japanese Devs learn how to not spike the challange on thier bloody last bosses. thats when I will enjoy it fully.

Great game, better story than FFT by miles. However, the clss system could have been better. teh level up system is ruubbish since it requiirse you to grind for SP rather than levels which is piss taking.

and since P3P is coming my way, I don't think I will try it again. maybe sometime in the future I will replay it again and play it right untill i fiish that bloody last boss off easly.

Maybe thats my problem. I don't have any archers in my party since they sucked at low level and thought they are nerferd compared to FFT ones. *sigh*

All you need to do is focus the boss, do SOME damage, not even full. He'll stop the fight. Bring ranged units, as you can easily bring him down in 3~4 hits.

faridmon

Yaweee said:
All you need to do is focus the boss, do SOME damage, not even full. He'll stop the fight. Bring ranged units, as you can easily bring him down in 3~4 hits.
Yeall, that is the first part isn't? Wel, as I have stated, I don't have any ranged units. I do have a sorcerer butshe gets killed in the first wave. The 2nd problem is he escapes to on top of that bloody cliff which is annoying.

That is not even a problem, I got past that part (even thought a lot of my HP was drained and many of my units were killed), but the 2nd phase is where is it annoying. That attck is powerful, my HP is not high enough, and he have that magic attck which makes me not move at all.

Arren

I'm currently playing through Tactics Ogre for the very first time and I'm really astonished at the amount of care and detail this game exhibits. It's remarkable on every extent, be it visuals, music, presentation or gameplay.

My only gripe so far is that sometimes it appears a bit too overwhelming in its options, especially if you're not too familiar with the Tactical genre like in my case.

I'm currently at the very beginning of Chapter 2 (Chaotic Route, I guess) and the battle at the Aqueduct against Xapan is giving me more than a nuisance. Any specific suggestions I should observe, in order to easen my trip towards Tynemouth?

Jerk

Banned
Arren said:
I'm currently playing through Tactics Ogre for the very first time and I'm really astonished at the amount of care and detail this game exhibits. It's remarkable on every extent, be it visuals, music, presentation or gameplay.

My only gripe so far is that sometimes it appears a bit too overwhelming in its options, especially if you're not too familiar with the Tactical genre like in my case.

I'm currently at the very beginning of Chapter 2 (Chaotic Route, I guess) and the battle at the Aqueduct against Xapan is giving me more than a nuisance. Any specific suggestions I should observe, in order to easen my trip towards Tynemouth?

Archers. Abuse them.

But not too much.

Top Bottom