• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO says AI-created hit games are a fantasy: 'Genius is the domain of human beings and I believe will stay that way'

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
QAHS776sKsBjb7WXXxCxjR-1200-80.jpg.webp

"As you know I'm usually a sceptic when others engage in hyperbole, [but] in the case of AI I'm pretty enthusiastic," said Zelnick. "First of all despite the fact artificial intelligence is an oxymoron, as is machine learning, this company's been involved in those activities, no matter what words you use to describe them, for its entire history and we're a leader in that space."

I'm here for Zelnick's pedantry about the terminology, because he's absolutely bang-on. "While the most recent developments in AI are surprising and exciting to many," said Zelnick, "they're exciting to us but not at all surprising. Our view is that AI will allow us to do a better job and to do a more efficient job, you're talking about tools and they are simply better and more effective tools."

Perhaps the most important element of the answer, however, relates to something implicit in the question, which is the unrealistic expectations some have for what this technology will be able to do. Is it conceivable for example that some way down the line we see a Grand Theft Auto title that is majority AI-made?

"I wish I could say that the advances in AI will make it easier to create hits, obviously it won't," said Zelnick. "Hits are created by genius. And data sets plus compute plus large language models does not equal genius. Genius is the domain of human beings and I believe will stay that way."

The CEO ended his answer by returning to the idea of jobs being made "a whole lot easier and more efficient by developments in AI" but his point is pretty clear. Zelnick regards these technologies as tools that Take-Two can use to improve certain areas of how it works, and doesn't seem to think they should be considered as potential sources of creativity, or genius, or however one wants to slice it. "Genius is the domain of human beings and I believe will stay that way" is a great counter to some of the wilder predictions you see about just what this stuff will be capable of.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

He's totally right. "Artificial intelligence" is a marketing term, and the tech sector loves to hype investors on sci-fi technology that just doesn't fall in line with reality.

I agree with him in principle.

That said, that's not gonna stop those asset flip shovelware houses that churn out endless shit on Steam utilizing full AI game generation to accelerate their output.
Procedural generation has already given those guys a boost anyway - and we will continue to ignore those games.

kiphalfton

Eh... that's giving too much credit to humans; it assumes every dev is created equal.

Seeing some of the garbage that has been churned out, it wouldn't surprise me if AI were able to create something better.

Also that comment comes off as self-aggrandizing.

Also the dude is a boomer, with boomer mentality, so there's that

Last edited:

Portugeezer

That's nice but he's wrong. Don't get me wrong, it won't happen any time soon due to the complexity of creating a AAA game, but it seems like there is no reason gaming wouldn't be doable in theory.

AI has already imitated "geniuses" work. Happened in art, happened in music, film, one day gaming.

Doesn't mean we can't appreciate human created art, music, film, etc more.

Last edited:

Sophist

AI may not replace geniuses but geniuses is a rarity. Paul Graham spoke about this recently; Chatgpt is not as good as the great authors but it is already a major improvement compared to most people and thus AI will take over most of the writing.

hyperbertha

AI may not replace geniuses but geniuses is a rarity. Paul Graham spoke about this recently; Chatgpt is not as good as the great authors but it is already a major improvement compared to most people and thus AI will take over most of the writing.
Chatgpt can do some copy writing. It's level of dialogue in novel writing is well below even amateurs.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
He's absolutely correct on this one. Doubt that others in his position would disagree, though. They're not that stupid.
Will be interesting to hear his thoughts when an AI replaces his job, since that doesn't involve creative thinking 'or' Genius.

Will see if this thinking stands when AGI(Artificial General Intelligence) is achieved.
It doesn't actually matter - if you need 1000-2000 'geniuses' today for a RDR3, tomorrow you might be able to do it with 100-200. And eventually, say - 10.
AGI might replace the final 10 - but we can get 99.95% there with current models.

lukilladog

Nah, he is conflating terms and contradicts himself. You could have a million monkeys on typewriters, give them certain restrictions so their chaotic actions evolve in a certain direction, replace them when they fall dead, and end with a Pulitzer if given enough time. An AI could do it in a fraction of the time... granting that the AI term is being used loosely.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Will be interesting to hear his thoughts when an AI replaces his job, since that doesn't involve creative thinking 'or' Genius.

It doesn't actually matter - if you need 1000-2000 'geniuses' today for a RDR3, tomorrow you might be able to do it with 100-200. And eventually, say - 10.
AGI might replace the final 10 - but we can get 99.95% there with current models.
Even today’s AI is an effective force multiplier for demanding technical projects. In a few years we don’t know what the impact could be, just like a mere few months ago transformer LLMs were a novelty.

Puscifer

He's absolutely correct on this one. Doubt that others in his position would disagree, though. They're not that stupid.
Ai is translating brain patterns into text, it's only a matter of time where literally thinking creates what in your brain. We're closer to the breaking point with this than you think, I just believe ChatGPT being unleashed for free let companies know how truly far along they were so they don't capture the spotlight.

I don't see AI creating a whole game and main story. At least not in the next decade( I could eat my words here) but for small sub stories or short side quests, I think It could play a huge role.

Even perhaps continuing those side stories. Currently, once you complete a side story, that's it. Usually, the NPC won't even acknowledge you.

Having AI generate small side quests and continuing those side quests and acknowledging the user, I think that would add tremendous value to a game.

Puscifer

No it's not. It's predicting the next word in a sequence of words based on the training data it was fed beforehand.

Start at 18, they're talking using this to make visual representation of dreams. Some of the stuff in the presentation in regards to conversational models was completely undone in less than a week with the release of ChatGPT, this isn't fantasy anymore.

Holammer

I would be careful pontificating about what AI will be capable of with the development we've seen recently.
I give it 30 years and it'll be the norm that AI generated games, movies and TV-series are individually tailored experiences.

I'll be 80 by then, so I hope I remember this:
Generate is a three hour Lord of the Rings in 90's era Bollywood style with dance numbers, all the dialogue is Sanskrit epic poetry in the style of Rigveda. As directed by Quentin Tarantino.

scalman

some years ago noone would thought that AI could do what they do today so its just talk because people just dont know what they dont know ...
many games dont even need story just good gameplay and thats easily can be done with AI only . its just need time ... and we hopefully could have then 10 racing games in a year not 2 racing games in like 7 years...

Kataploom

Gold Member
There's currently a joke in the graphic design communities: For the AI to substitute designers, clients have first know what they want.

Clients have amazing ideas... Only in their heads, they cannot organize them for life to let a professional human what they want, let alone a machine.

Gambit2483

There's currently a joke in the graphic design communities: For the AI to substitute designers, clients have first know what they want.

Clients have amazing ideas... Only in their heads, they cannot organize them for life to let a professional human what they want, let alone a machine.
I can't image competing for a job against an A.I....hopefully this is not where we are heading...

Tarnpanzer

I wonder if AI can actually help with level design.

AI right now should be able to generate something simple like classic Doom maps if u feed it with enough data(maps).

Last edited:
For some reason people keep seeing AI itself as something that will hit a glass ceiling, yet there have been multiple instances of developers ensuring that it is constantly evolving beyond that ceiling. On top of that it is most likely far, far ahead of what people have seen from a commercial standpoint.

Zelnick could easily be describing something he finally saw recently, that was already released months ago, and he is deciding to base his entire judgment on that sole piece of evidence. This is like people judging the entire future of Virtual Reality on the year 1 version of blocky helmets and huge cords.

Success

I believe that Zelnick is spreading light FUD in order to minimize public panic over the coming AI age taking over the majority of gaming development roles.

Zelnick is rich enough that even if AI were to come for his job that he would not care.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Within the next 10 years we’ll see an triple A quality game created solely with AI even if it’s going off human requests and inputs for the first step.

The progress will not slow.

HL3.exe

He's not wrong. What we call 'AI' is still just 'finite state machines' (if this->then statements, but zillions of times). It's an oxymoron, and not as scary as people believe. They're still dependable on human input in the end of the day. They lack 'needs'. There are still inherent limits. But it's still very neat, and we can use this tech to speed up work processes.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
QAHS776sKsBjb7WXXxCxjR-1200-80.jpg.webp

"As you know I'm usually a sceptic when others engage in hyperbole, [but] in the case of AI I'm pretty enthusiastic," said Zelnick. "First of all despite the fact artificial intelligence is an oxymoron, as is machine learning, this company's been involved in those activities, no matter what words you use to describe them, for its entire history and we're a leader in that space."

I'm here for Zelnick's pedantry about the terminology, because he's absolutely bang-on. "While the most recent developments in AI are surprising and exciting to many," said Zelnick, "they're exciting to us but not at all surprising. Our view is that AI will allow us to do a better job and to do a more efficient job, you're talking about tools and they are simply better and more effective tools."

Perhaps the most important element of the answer, however, relates to something implicit in the question, which is the unrealistic expectations some have for what this technology will be able to do. Is it conceivable for example that some way down the line we see a Grand Theft Auto title that is majority AI-made?

"I wish I could say that the advances in AI will make it easier to create hits, obviously it won't," said Zelnick. "Hits are created by genius. And data sets plus compute plus large language models does not equal genius. Genius is the domain of human beings and I believe will stay that way."

The CEO ended his answer by returning to the idea of jobs being made "a whole lot easier and more efficient by developments in AI" but his point is pretty clear. Zelnick regards these technologies as tools that Take-Two can use to improve certain areas of how it works, and doesn't seem to think they should be considered as potential sources of creativity, or genius, or however one wants to slice it. "Genius is the domain of human beings and I believe will stay that way" is a great counter to some of the wilder predictions you see about just what this stuff will be capable of.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

A MAN OF THE PEOPLE!!!!!!
Literally!

CGNoire

Except at an alarming rate more and more people dont care about genius content and only seem to care about good enough. This will only get worse as time gos on.

Top Bottom