• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two confirms PS5 and Xbox Series as platforms for GTA VI (no PC)

GDDR6 is a significant upgrade of GDDR5X, the generational gap in architecture from GCN4 to RDNA 2 is easily large enough to be far more than "hardly" and don't get me started with "BuT tHe FlOpS" because FLOP count by itself is meaningless without considering the rest of the hardware.
Loop Trump GIF

GDDR6 is not an upgrade at all. It has less memory bandwidth than the Xbox One X which was using GDDR5. In fact, the memory bandwidth is paltry on the S. It may also have the GPU features on RDNA 2, but it really doesn't matter since the gpu is to weak to utilize most of the features.
The series S' biggest issue isn't being better than last gen upgrades, but is being a significant downgrade from the series X and PS5. The same architectural upgrades that the X supports, the S also supports but doesn't have the extra power to run it as well. I couldn't care less about the console since I game on PC, but the hyperbole against the series S hardware is getting ridiculous.
The series S issue is it's lack of ram, lack of memory bandwidth, worse gpu than the Xbox One x so you can't even play X enhanced titles, etc. It's just a shitty product.

SNG32

I’ll play the PS5 version when it comes out for the story and then the PC version for the mods. Not surprised by this at all. This is why it’s always great to have a console handy.

The online revamp of the game will probably be on PC before GTA 6 comes to it.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Regarding Series S I see no reason why devs won’t be able to make the games for PS5/Series X that they want and simply gut it to run on S or delay the game on Xbox like it has happened. Games have come out with that simply disable visual feature on S and run at it at lower res and or framerate also.

Well it is to be expected. Anything else would have been a huge surprise. Also it doesn't really matter than much anyway. A good game will still be a good game a year later. They can also improve the graphics a lot by that time because some areas look a bit dated.

I still remember going to the toy store to pick up my physical copy of GTA 5 for the PC. Think it came on 3 DVDs in a nice case. The last physical game I bought.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Here we go again. Not falling for it this time. GTA 5 on PC was and is incredibly profitable for them. They want the double dip of you buying it on consoles and then when sales start to go down, they release it on PC for a bump.

I’m in no rush. I’ll wait on the PC version.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't have the same weird hatred towards Series S like many seem to have but I suspect the potential issue with a large dense open world game like GTA will be traffic/pedestrian density and draw distance.

I think resolution differences are somewhat overrated and this game is likely going to be running at 30fps regardless but lower traffic and pedestrian density can compromise the immersion a bit.

Yeah, not doing the dance this time. PS3 version pretty much ruined the PC version for me. Nothing can bring back that first experience. I can wait and this New Rockstar is not my thing anyway. All the good people left.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Take Two knows a bunch of folks won’t wait for the PC release and will reluctantly buy the console release so they don’t miss out. Then those folks will buy it again for PC when it ships a year later so they can run it at 60+ FPS with everything maxed on their 5090s.

It's the perfect plan. I'm glad Sony has learned from Rockstar with their 1st party games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't have the same weird hatred towards Series S like many seem to have but I suspect the potential issue with a large dense open world game like GTA will be traffic/pedestrian density and draw distance.

I think resolution differences are somewhat overrated and this game is likely going to be running at 30fps regardless but lower traffic and pedestrian density can compromise the immersion a bit.
As someone playing Hogwarts on Switch right now yeah, density is a big issue. Also depends how muddy they have to make it. I thought Elden Ring and Hogwarts looked like mush on Series S, TBH I think GTA is going to look like shit on it.

Jayjayhd34

Now everyone read this and, take long hard think about how much extra work the series s going need, and game can't come out till its done. I love some xvox games to death but I've saying this since series s wsd announced its going slow development down massively. Microsoft clearly was not thinking of developers when making it.

Last edited:
What is it with Rockstar and pc ports?

Is it simply a culture where they see themselves primarily as console developers and pc is just an afterthought?

Seems very strange, especially in 2023...well, 2025 at release.

Kenpachii

Is it simply a culture where they see themselves primarily as console developers and pc is just an afterthought?

It's a grift to push maximum profits forwards. Release the shitty version on consoles first that barely runs, then release the better version on PC, then release enhanced stuff + better version on next gen consoles, then update the PC version way later, then move to gta 7.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

There putting most effort in the platforms generate the most money even as a primarily pc gamer it makes most sense.

Its doesn't matter which year we are, technology evolves, some things change but some things remains the same.

The PC version of GTA 4 came out 8 months later and had zero optimization in which the highest end PC of 2008 struggle to run it.

Its more easier to develop games for consoles than PCs, because consoles are just one set of hardware/driver

Top Bottom