• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two sends private investigators to GTAV modder's home asking to shut down mod

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ate-investigators-to-gta5-modders-home-report

A couple of alternate Grand Theft Auto Online mods have been shut down by publisher Take-Two. In one case the publisher allegedly sent private eyes to the modder's home to strong arm them into canceling the project.

Now, the founder of that mod has claimed that GTA publisher Take-Two actually sent PIs to their home to intimidate them into shutting down the project. They offered the following statement on the matter on Reddit:

"I just got a pair of PIs at my door claiming to be sent by Take-Two," the modder explained, "handing me a phone with a person somewhere in the UK or US or whatever to 'discuss how to cease my activities with regard to Grand Theft Auto', that 'they know what happened before with Activision and want to not get the lawyers involved at this time', however they 'have tested their legal standing already and are quite certain of their point' and 'aren't willing to accept any solution other than ceasing my activities'.

"Oh, they also 'couldn't disclose any conversations they're having with other modification developers', didn't want to talk about general modification policy as 'it was just about my case' and admitted they 'looked through my source code.'"

Even stranger, Take-Two contacted another modder working on a different alternate GTA online mod, GTA: Multiplayer, with a similar cease & desist.

"Take-Two Interactive Inc. have contacted us and they asked us to stop GTA: Multiplayer, because from Take Two's point of view GTA:MP is a rival of their business," the mod makers said in a statement on the GTA: Multiplayer site. "Grand Theft Auto and all its content is produced by Rockstar Games Inc. and published and owned by Take-Two Interactive Inc. We, as developers, respect other developer's intellectual property and their legitimate interests. Rockstar's developers have invested so much time to create this beautiful game. We have repeatedly stated our position: We are not going to cross this line, we won't damage them. "

"We clearly see that this may not only result in problems for us, the mod creators, it even may result in a Social Club ban for you, and this is something we do not want to be responsible for," the modder added. "We always respected the copyright of others, and we will not stop doing so."

The modder here claimed that they'd been in contact with Rockstar about their mod and that the GTA developer had no problem with it.

more at the link

dex3108

Well you need to protect main source of your income. R* games come with few years between them and that is when T2 makes most of it's money. :D

Seems strange to me, you don't have to talk to these guys at the door. Close the door and go back to modding?

is there something these guys are doing that is actually illegal?

weekev

Banned
Can someone explain how this takes money away from R*? Surely the mods enhance the game and help boost sales (not that they need boosting)

IaN_GAF

I mean, it's fucked up if true, but you have to appreciate that it actually sounds like a GTA mission.

Mendax

Can someone explain how this takes money away from R*? Surely the mods enhance the game and help boost sales (not that they need boosting)

there is talk of 'alternate gta online' mods, which sounds like another way to play together which is not where take2 sells their microtransactions?

The one mod that shifts multiplayer away from microtransactions doesn't. The other things, I don't know.

dex3108

GTA Online has Shark Cards (1, 2, 5, 10 million in game money) that you can buy with real money. If there is separate MP without them it is not in T2 interest to support that kind of MP.

Shark cards are their business. That's why they've basically said there's going to be no more single player DLC, because those things are making money hand over foot. Anything that messes with the online experience and causes people not to buy shark cards is seen as a threat.

Madness

The former sounds illegal or at least sueable.

Nothing about it is illegal or 'sueable'. They hired private investigators to go and speak to the modders. You can argue there is an intimidation factor there, but it's no more illegal than going to your neighbors house and telling him to please stop using loud power tools at 5am at Sunday morning etc.

Just crazy though how much they view these mods as a threat. What do the mods essentially do?

Klossen

Banned
Just crazy though how much they view these mods as a threat. What do the mods essentially do?

They make GTAV fun to play. That's a threat to Rockstar because there is no longer an incentive to buy fake money then. It's such a tragedy seeing what these talented modders have to endure. Something they've done for free out of passion for the game being tarnished by corporate greed.

"You gotta nice pair of kneecaps, son. Lemme tell ya what I don't wanna do or to happen. I don't want these pretty pair of kneecaps to be hurt. So why don't you just stop developing your little internet thingy, capiche?"

Seems like they got, a real authentic GTA experience.

Is this legal? Sounds very shady.
not sure about the UK but I think PIs are legally allowed to be hired to issue cease and desist orders

which I suppose would be an option if Take-Two's previous attempts to make contact are ignored... if the modder is refusing to answer his phone or respond to mailed orders, I guess they would try to deliver it in person next...

Busty

Banned
Now, the founder of that mod has claimed that GTA publisher Take-Two actually sent PIs to their home to intimidate them into shutting down the project.

disappointed-otter.jpg

If this chap isn't making any money from this mod what's the point in this?

Nothing about it is illegal or 'sueable'. They hired private investigators to go and speak to the modders. You can argue there is an intimidation factor there, but it's no more illegal than going to your neighbors house and telling him to please stop using loud power tools at 5am at Sunday morning etc.

Going to your neighbours is civil interaction. Sending 2 guys to your home handing you a phone, mentioning a former legal dispute, is pretty straightforwardly an intimidation attempt.
Sounds very fishy and are clearly the wrong channels used for communication. Dunno if it's illegal but T2 went way outta line there.

Maybe there's more to the story the way it's displayed here though. If that happened to me I'd be far more infuriated than frightened.

If this chap isn't making any money from this mod what's the point in this?
TT makes significant revenue (based on their annual report) revenue from GTAO microtransactions, and my understanding of these mods are that they allow players to play hacked versions of GTAO that bypass microtransactions. I'm not really clear if they're still using Rockstar servers or not but it's basically similar to a 'private server' in practice. In a MMO, a private 'game room' would let players bypass monthly fees; I suppose for GTAO, its revenue instead of monthly fees are basically selling in-game currency, and this would allow the same bypassing of their revenue stream. That's my impression at least from what I've read about the 'mods.'

neemmss

Instead of pushing these guys to keep going and maybe work together on adding cool new content, they just shoot them down like this. What a great way to conduct business!

Undead

Wow, I had no idea the shark cards actually sold

SMH at the amount of dumb idiots who actually buy in game currency

UrbanRats

Creepy if true, but the real funny part is how pathetic the "sarcasm" in GTA/R* games is, when juxtaposed to the shit and attitude they have in real life (also thinking back at that R*spouse scandal, and such).
Like, how less self aware can you get?

Vuze

Kinda funny, just yesterday I watched the "GameChanger" movie on Rockstar affaires with the Hot Coffee scene and the PR guy in the movie blamed modders for it at first :D

It sucks that T2 is trying everything to keep MP alternatives for GTAV down, I'd love to roam around in the world with friends. Without shitty matchmaking, mostly lame activities and having to worry about mods.

Blackage

It's never about the modders making money, unless it's just blatant "Buy our mod for $5" type stuff.

It's always about potential money that's lost with these corporations, which can pretty much encompass everything or anything with their IP.

Going to your neighbours is civil interaction. Sending 2 guys to your home handing you a phone, mentioning a former legal dispute, is pretty straightforwardly an intimidation attempt.

It's about as intimidating as sending a C&D letter threatening legal action unless you think Take Two would really hire these guys to do something more than just hand over a telephone at the front door.

SigSig

It will be interesting to see whether this gets even a fraction of the attention the paid mods thing got, even though this is an actual problem, which would set an actual precedence and would actually be disgusting as fuck.

Seems silly, given how mods generally give these games extended sales legs. People are still buying GTA IV for the mods. It's nice to see Bethesda have an opposite stance on mods, it's the reason why their games will sell so well for years.

dex3108

Seems silly, given how mods generally give these games extended sales legs. People are still buying GTA IV for the mods. It's nice to see Bethesda have an opposite stance on mods, it's the reason why their games will sell so well for years.

As i said few posts above, issue are not single player mods. Issue is when modders make new version of Multiplayer that removes microtransactions. That is big issue for T2 because those microtransactions are big part of their earnings.

Top Bottom