• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teacher loses marriage, home and job after student fakes terminal cancer to con her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Umm, I can't comprehend how naive a teacher can be considering she actually teaches people and have experience with so many different types of people throughout the years. It also feels like her (ex)-husband and her family was trying to tell her not to be silly and chose to ignore that because she had the an idea in her mind and justified her action all the way through.

EDIT: Not to sound heartless, because I feel for her. But as someone who got scammed a lot of times because of my naivety, there is a line I don't cross as well.

FoxSpirit

This reads like people were trying to tell her that this was all bullshit, but she chose the sociopath over them. I just don't know how you can go 6 years and never once go talk to a doctor or something. How the hell do you fake having a kidney removed without having to stay at the hospital for a number of days? Did she just limp back to the car clutching her side "Oh they took it out!"

Pretty sick to take advantage of someone so gullible and caring.
Oh, no, it only got that bad in the last years, but they have known each other for that long. In that time she simply established trust and he'd believe a psycho like her even exists.

Heck, I have been at the receiving end of a psycho in my work the past 4 years. I'm out now but the damage has been done. Never could I have believed someone would repay so much support and love with so much personal degradation. And she has a complete lack of empathy.

bjork

Lying to someone is one thing, but extending it for years and being on this level is just cruel. Maybe when the two years is up, they'll say it was just a lie and it was really 20.

Looking at another story:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lecturer-whose-life-destroyed-sick-7050142
Fed-up with the impact the defendant had on family life, Mr Retallack eventually left his wife, it was heard.

Mr Lee said: "Mrs Retallack describes how they had become estranged as a result of the overwhelming effect of the defendant's needs upon their family life, and, as she puts it, he had sought solace elsewhere.

But the family grew suspicious and Mr Retallack confronted her but her lies were "so plausible and convincing" he "felt embarrassed" having questioned her.

During the course of his digging Mr Retallack tracked down Bianco's father who "told him something" of the truth.

Looks like the teacher indeed took the side of the psycho to the point of the husband leaving for another woman. Real sad. And what the heck at the father only saying 'something of the truth'? I don't get it.

Seesaw15

Looking at another story:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lecturer-whose-life-destroyed-sick-7050142

Looks like the teacher indeed took the side of the psycho to the point of the husband leaving for another woman. Real sad. And what the heck at the father only saying 'something of the truth'? I don't get it.

The husband must have felt like Sergeant Doakes living in the same house as Dexter.
350x700px-LL-d3bb5792_Dexter.gif

The question is why?

But people are fucking crazy and the girl probably only did this because the woman could be manipulated easily.

Wiki;

DSM IV-TR[edit]
The APA's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, text revision (DSM IV-TR), defines antisocial personality disorder (Cluster B):[7]

A) A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:

• failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
  • deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
  • impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
  • irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
  • reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
  • consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
  • lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy )

According to the American Pyschiatric Association, about 1% of Americans are psychopaths/sociopaths. But the methodology has always been imprecise, and studies in the UK have showed lower results. Most psychopaths are not physically violent. Many can cognitively realize that violence is not a good thing in the furthering of their goals. But they cannot feel empathy.

And some psychopaths- The ones we are scared off, have no remorse or regard for other people. In the worst cases they take pleasure in hurting people or animals. That is sadism.

Hale-XF11

It's amazing how someone can be so easily manipulated to the point where their own family is no longer a priority in their lives. That's some powerful stuff.

This reads like people were trying to tell her that this was all bullshit, but she chose the sociopath over them. I just don't know how you can go 6 years and never once go talk to a doctor or something. How the hell do you fake having a kidney removed without having to stay at the hospital for a number of days? Did she just limp back to the car clutching her side "Oh they took it out!"

Pretty sick to take advantage of someone so gullible and caring.

She probably lied about staying in the hospital and crashed somewhere else for a few days, telling the teacher she didn't want to be visited.

Psychopaths are unbelievably good at acting. I lived with a "terminally ill" psychopath and she fooled everyone in our house.

Shredderi

The husband must have felt like Sergeant Doakes living in the same house as Dexter.
350x700px-LL-d3bb5792_Dexter.gif

Thought of this too. Scary how capable these psychos are sometimes. Many times they seem to be very intelligent and able to pull off all kinds of fuckery on unsuspecting people. Two years is way too little for something like this. She must have been ecstatic when the husband left.

This story is up there in absurdity with the girl-pretending-to-be-guy romancing another women with blindfolds and shit that was making the rounds few weeks ago.

But above all, fuck her for destroying someone's innocence.

pathos11

I have a friend who got close to a girl who had cancer. Soon they started to date. He had to skip a semester in college while taking her to the doctor a lot, but she never let him go in with her.

She was faking. She'd just go in and sit for hours. She wanted people to like her, so she pretended... to have cancer...?

Who does that kind of stuff?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Please don't create threads about news stories whose sole point is to horrify and appall people. This applies equally to stories about horrible events and to random, petty local tragedies of no greater significance. It makes people's experience of our community worse if they have to tiptoe in between threads about mundane atrocities just to participate in the OT. Real news stories of cultural import are fine, even when they're about something horrific happening, but if the right response to a story is mostly just "wow that's awful" it probably shouldn't get a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom