• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

India's Daughter - A Documentary About Rape In India

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A decent girl won't roam around at nine o'clock at night. A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy," he said.

People "had a right to teach them a lesson" he suggested - and he said the woman should have put up with it.

"When being raped, she shouldn't fight back. She should just be silent and allow the rape. Then they'd have dropped her off after 'doing her', and only hit the boy," he said.

When I asked him how he could cross the line from imagining what he wanted to do, to actually doing it - given her height, her eyes, her screams - he looked at me as though I was crazy for even asking the question and said: "She was beggar girl. Her life was of no value."

nc9j0.gif

Welp, not gonna argue against capital punishment for those guys. Unless the other option would be torture.

Truly evil people that are ignorant about it piss me off even more. Just adds this layer of wanting to push their head in the photos of the dead victim while shouting "WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND YOU STUPID FUCK".

Madness

What a dumb fucking statement about a country that educates the vast majority of IT workforce to the western part of the world. I guess IIT means nothing these days.

Uh, not dumb at all. Wrap your head around this concept. India is a country of almost 1.35+ billion people. Just because you're stereotyping a bunch of immigrant IT workers in the West as smart doesn't take away from the fact that a large portion of the country is illiterate. Some of the poorer states don't even average 50% literacy or more. Women are even more disadvantaged. What this means is, even if hundreds of millions of kids are being educated everyday, and are providing millions of graduate students and researchers, there are hundreds of millions of people born into poverty and won't get much education beyond basic elementary level. Maybe next time do some fact checking before saying someone else has a dumb statement.

700px-WorldMapLiteracy2011.png

Madness

You need to remember, India has a population that is more than all of North America and Europe combined. So when you hear of these crimes and think it's prevalent, think of the fact it's still a relatively poor and developing country, with a lower than normal literacy rate, where women's rights are still not equal to men, etc. Things take time to change, but certain beliefs, thoughts can take longer to eradicate. That asshole rapist showed little to no remorse. The sad part is, his thinking is probably shared with millions of people there. It's up to others who believe men and women are equal, that everyone has the right to safety and security to eventually turn the tide against this way of thinking.

Uh, not dumb at all. Wrap your head around this concept. India is a country of almost 1.35+ billion people. Just because you're stereotyping a bunch of immigrant IT workers in the West as smart doesn't take away from the fact that a large portion of the country is illiterate. Some of the poorer states don't even average 50% literacy or more. Women are even more disadvantaged. What this means is, even if hundreds of millions of kids are being educated everyday, and are providing millions of graduate students and researchers, there are hundreds of millions of people born into poverty and won't get much education beyond basic elementary level. Maybe next time do some fact checking before saying someone else has a dumb statement.

700px-WorldMapLiteracy2011.png

Exactly. It would be like judging Africa by South Africa alone. India is a country that is like a continent.

Arcadius

Banned
Read this earlier today. There are no words for me to say. The way of thinking isn't just wrong, it's beyond absurd. The men who think this, I mean........ I just can't. This is too much. I've never read something that made me so angry and shook me so much that I can't put words to it. Literally the worst thing I've ever read.

........ I just don't understand. I feel so sad, angry and upset with the justification going on here, it has left me with nothing to say. I can only hope that the penalties are harsh, quick and usher in a change.

Read this earlier today. There are no words for me to say. The way of thinking isn't just wrong, it's beyond absurd. The men who think this, I mean........ I just can't. This is too much. I've never read something that made me so angry and shook me so much that I can't put words to it. Literally the worst thing I've ever read.

........ I just don't understand. I feel so sad, angry and upset with the justification going on here, it has left me with nothing to say. I can only hope that the penalties are harsh, quick and usher in a change.

In our Western bubbles it's easy to be shocked, but we're lucky to have grown up in socieities where we've moved on from such misogynistic mentalities.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
India is a place full of contrasts, it's an... experience to go there I'll tell you that. They still have a lot of leftovers from British colonialism, the classism is very, very strong in there.

The messed up caste system has been around a lot longer than that. Its tied up in indian culture and religion so tightly I wonder how you could cut it out.

I wouldn't call this program India's Daughter. India is very vast country with many states, these rapes usually happen in one state called UP or Uttar Pradesh. UP saw an economic boom in the last 10 years so the poor and uneducated people from other states migrated there.

When I was living near Noida which is located just outside New Delhi back in 1998, these rape cases were unheard of and the area was sparsely populated and most women were safe. I went back there in 2010 and the situation has changed drastically.

Kazerei

Banned
I see some overlap with beliefs in western cultures too about rape victim blaming.

Yeah, I see it too. We may be more flexible with what women are "allowed" to do, but in every rape discussion people still question what the victim was wearing, was she drinking, why wasn't she more careful. People still have these imaginary limits on what women should be "allowed" to do, otherwise they are partly to blame if they're raped.

And the solution to rape in the west is the same as in India: we need to change our culture. Telling women "don't do this, don't do that" won't help a bit. So fuck anyone who tries to give that kind of advice.

Pilgrimzero

This stuff has ruined my perception of India. I used to think it was exotic and wise. And stuff like these rapes and a few documentaries I've seen about the place, it's more like a savage shit hole.

Very sad.

Rape is so sad, just thinking about it makes me want to cry. It such a horrible, torturous thing to do to someone. I wish I didn't live in a world without rape. It's part of why I've fantasized about living in a happy fantasy fairy world and escaping. To live in a utopia without violence and sexual violence and hurt and pain.

It makes me want to do everything I can to stand against this horror. This horror that must go away. I want rape to go away forever. I want this cruel tragedy and pain to stop. I want to live in a world where people don't have to worry and think about this horror. Where people like me don't have to take a stand and think about this horror, because the horror has finally left our world. Our world deserves to be innocent and kinder than this.

What can I do to stand against rape and culture in ways that I'm not already doing? What can I do to work towards a world where this doesn't happen any more? I want to live in a kind, innocent world, where this doesn't exist. I want to help to create a world that is safer from this kind of horrible violence. But I don't know where to start and what I can do.

There must be something I can do to make this world a kinder, less cruel place, with less rape.
I want to do something. I desperately want this to stop.

That was very difficult to read through. Harrowing state of things, where women are seen as inferior or of such lesser value as human beings.

The accounts of the rapist of the 5-years-old was absolutely terrifying.

Ventara

I don't even know what to write. This is so shocking, and very sad to read that this is how the normal mindset is in India. Like, how do you even fix this? It'll take generations and huge amounts of money, considering how ingrained this mentality is to some/most of them and how it's partly caused by the lack of education due their extremely poor lifestyle. 100 years won't be enough, even if we start now. It would be nothing short of a miracle to stamp out this sickening way of thinking for a proper one within this century.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't even know what to write. This is so shocking, and very sad to read that this is how the normal mindset is in India. Like, how do you even fix this? It'll take generations and huge amounts of money, considering how ingrained this mentality is to some/most of them and how it's partly caused by the lack of education due their extremely poor lifestyle. 100 years won't be enough, even if we start now. It would be nothing short of a miracle to stamp out this sickening way of thinking for a proper one within this century.

The only real way to do it is to override the teaching from parents. As you might expect, it's damn near impossible. Furthermore the problem is not exclusive to India. The Deep South (but not limited to), for example, in the US has similar problems with racism that became culturally ingrained and passed from father to son and so on.

rBose

Banned
India is the fucking shithole of the world.

They shit on the street in their fucking capital.

They're uneducated apes, animals, and should be recognized as sand people or goat fuckers.

The horrifying details of the rape had led me to expect deranged monsters. Psychopaths. The truth was far more chilling. These were ordinary, apparently normal and certainly unremarkable men.

The quotes followed completely contradicts this. These men are the definition of deranged monsters.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

They're uneducated apes, animals, and should be recognized as sand people or goat fuckers.

Err... wow, tell us how you really feel. </s>

India certainly has some cultural problems, most stemming from their caste system, but your line of thinking is fucking backwards.

The quotes followed completely contradicts this. These men are the definition of deranged monsters.

The problem that's being highlighted here isn't necessarily that these people would be considered ordinary if they weren't rapists. It's that rape is so ingrained into this culture that it has become a social norm, just like going to work and hanging out with friends.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Woahohoho buddy. This just escalated.

rBose

Banned
Err... wow, tell us how you really feel. </s>

India certainly has some cultural problems, most stemming from their caste system, but your line of thinking is fucking backwards.

Says the neofag retard with a pokemon avatar.

Grow up, cocksucker

When in an environment that doesn't necessarily care people will eventually lower their morals. There's not much in Indian society that promotes equality so being looked down on is natural.

Suikoguy

I'm still literately laughing out loud.

My poor pokemon avatar... :*(

If only Suikoden was alive like Pokemon

When in an environment that doesn't necessarily care people will eventually lower their morals. There's not much in Indian society that promotes equality so being looked down on is natural.

Yeah, when not all people are viewed equally you end up with the situation outlined in the OP.

The problem that's being highlighted here isn't necessarily that these people would be considered ordinary if they weren't rapists. It's that rape is so ingrained into this culture that it has become a social norm, just like going to work and hanging out with friends.

I call bullshit on that. These are sociopaths and people like that will not admit remorse and will make excuse for their behavior. Ted Bundy, who was the most famous serial rapist and murderer for the West for the last century proclaimed innocence almost until the end when he realize he wasn't getting off death row. Interviewing these men barely shows anything about their culture.

I'm not going to say their isn't cultural issues that could have contributed to these awful events, but I'm not going brand a whole society to think or believe a certain way because a few quotes from gang rapists.

Christine

Soul dipped in tar, indeed. I can barely bring myself to look at this, I keep closing browser windows after a sentence or two. I knew things were this bad but seldom is it on such horrifically banal display.

If you take anything from this, let it be how effectively contempt for women camouflages itself as normal and proper. These men did not find these attitudes in a vacuum.

UrbanRats

I call bullshit on that. These are sociopaths and people like that will not admit remorse and will make excuse for their behavior. Ted Bundy, who was the most famous serial rapist and murderer for the West for the last century proclaimed innocence almost until the end when he realize he wasn't getting off death row. Interviewing these men barely shows anything about their culture.

I'm not going to say their isn't cultural issues that could have contributed to these awful events, but I'm not going brand a whole society to think or believe a certain way because a few quotes from gang rapists.

You really underestimate the power cultural imprint can have on the human mind.
You think every single slaver or every single nazist was clinically sociopathic? People have been dehumanizing the "different" since the dawn of man, and it doesn't add up that all of these would be born with a mental disorder.
Not to say the two things can't go together, i'm sure many of these people in the OP, were also born with something very wrong with their heads, but culture alone can breed some pretty monstrous behavior.

I mean, you don't even have to look at India, since rape culture all around the globe, stems from a similar mentality.

Also, it's not about branding a whole society.
A culture having some issues, doesn't mean every single person born in said culture will manifest the same behavior, nor that every part of that culture is rotten.
Otherwise there wouldn't be activists fighting for change in India, especially in the younger generations.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the British didn't introduce the caste system.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
The messed up caste system has been around a lot longer than that. Its tied up in indian culture and religion so tightly I wonder how you could cut it out.
Well they sure didn't make it better.

Some concerns about this documentary, taking umbrage with the title as being patriarchial, feeling like "white saviour", and localising this issue as if it's just for India. Found this interesting food for thought.

Daily O - Nirbhaya film: Solidarity is what we want, not a civilising mission (Kavita Krishnan)
This is a good article, it's good to identify issues but we shouldn't just be pointing fingers as if casting away our own messed up problems.

On one hand, stupid. On the other hand we Indians lived it, not like the Docu is telling us something different. Nobody is condoning the actions of the rapists

I really don't like the quashing of free speech without a good cause. Leslee Udwin has given her response to the ban:

I am deeply saddened by today's attempts to silence the film ' India's Daughter' and to derail an impassioned plea for gender equality.

This is a documentary I left my young children and the comfort of my home for, to spend 2 years dedicated to a crucial cause in the public interest of women, not just in India but worldwide.

India is a democracy with civilised laws, but sadly this flouting of a basic right to freedom of speech by whomsoever has lodged the FIR, and equally depressingly, the irresponsible and sensationalist 'journalism' of the Times Group, is flying in the face of civilised values.

I am hugely indebted to NDTV which has stood by this film so firmly and with such commitment - because its values are civilised and admirable.

I urge Mr Modi to deal with this unceremonious silencing of the film.

I came here out of love for India, and because India had led the world by example in the unprecedented protests of its courageous men and women who came out on the streets to fight for my rights as a woman.

India should be embracing this film - not blocking it with a knee jerk hysteria without even seeing it. This was an opportunity for India to continue to show the world how much has changed since this heinous crime; sadly, the FIR and the banning of the film will see India isolated in the eyes of the world. It's a counter productive move. Whoever is behind this - please see the film and then come to a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom