• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 5: FINAL JUDGMENT - With THROWS...and MORE THROWS...AND STUFF!

Slo

Drinky Crow said:
There was sickening crunch heard as Leguna struck the pavement, his head bouncing off the curb. Crimson ribbons arced from his broken jaw and a pair of teeth, rudely dislodged by the impact, made a faint rattle as they danced into the gutter.

"mmmmmmph. noooooooo...." mumbled Leguna, his face a grisly masque of pain. "i talked about gaaaammmmeplay...."

"Sorry," said Vark, as he lifted a hobnailed jackboot over the other poster's supine form. "I don't even think you get what gameplay is."

"is this final judgment," Leguna breathed wetly.

"Yeah."

A pair of GAF Street passers-by turned their head when they heard the staccato crack of Leguna's pinhead exploding all over the busy thoroughfare, but the rest continued on, disinterested as usual, faces buried in their PSPs . In the distance the mad delight of a LyteEdge was heard, and a Nintendog yelped, kicked by a surly Drinky hobo.

Just another day in the GAF.

:lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
now I wish I hadn't waited so long to watch the video.

[leguna] Not just hilarious, but VERY hilarious... and as someone who likes stuff that's funny, let me tell you, that's not easy to do. [/leguna]

manngc

LyteEdge,
I spoke with Leguna about what Vark posted. As I guessed, his response is basically going to say that his review is not meant to supplement/substitute the instruction manual. It is simply to state his opinion and feelings on the game. Nothing more. He says that reviews that go into the detail about the story and the more basic game mechanics are what make reviews boring.

What Leguna fails to realize of course is that this "boring stuff" is the part of the review that is informative to the reader. It allows the reader to more accurately judge the opinion of the reviewer. But again, he is not here to be informative, he's just here to give his opinion/feelings on the game. :)

Mann

Fantasmo

Leguna, EVERYONE can make their own decision about graphics by seeing a game in motion. These reviews feel like 15 minute impressions. Talk about the game man... You CAN give anecdotes about gameplay and still make the review sound cool.

This final judgement actually makes me hate Tekken, which I didn't think was possible. :lol

I don't know why I thought of this thread again, but I needed a laugh so I read through it and watched his "review".

Still Hilarious

*Bump* for those that might have missed it.

Ferrio

Banned
Mr. Rellik said:
I don't know why I thought of this thread again, but I needed a laugh so I read through it and watched his "review".

Still Hilarious

*Bump* for those that might have missed it.

You shouldn't of done that....

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyanka said:
I still play this almost every day. Best fighter ever.

wtf8mk.gif

Better than MK II?

Why the hell not? Its a hilarious review.

I'm sure i've opened the "Its the best fighter evar!!!!!!" can of worms again.

Here's hoping they balance the tiers better in the next upgrade. Top 3 > all else

Radius

WTF? Tekken 5 (PAL) has the worst AI since Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Fall down or be juggled once and you have absolutely NO chance to win the round anymore. Is THIS supposed to be "balance"? Losing to Panda and Jack-5 with a "perfect" (continuously)?
Namco better fix that for Soul Calibur III otherwise they can keep that crap.
Clearly the worst Tekken on PS2 in terms of gameplay. It seems they've forgotten what's "fun" supposed to be.
Very sad because I really love the rest of the game (except the extremely dumb cut scenes and Jinpachi)

123rl

Maybe you just suck? :D

I don't have any problem with retaliating from juggles and beatdowns (on hard mode). Are you rolling away when you land? If not then I wouldn't be surprised but, if not, then what you're saying really doesn't happen from my experience of it (Pal version as well)

Radius

Of course I roll away after landing. But somehow the AI always manages to start a 5-Hit-Minimum combo. And no, I don't suck, I had no problems beating TTT and T4 on higher difficulty settings. Plus I'm playing with Nina - fast, strong, long range - but it doesn't really help.
Another thing that makes me wonder if there was any QA is that the AI sometimes just lets the enemy stand around and do nothing. I just beat Jinpachi with Marduk at my first try. Next I chose Raven and was beaten by Jinpachi 15 times in a row.

123rl

I'm not sure what to say. I'm not doubting you (and I was only joking when I said maybe you suck) but I haven't had any problems with the AI and this is the first negative thing I've read about the AI. In my experience the AI has been very good, especially in arcade mode.

I hate Jinpachi though...worst boss ever. There's no point trying to be technical playing against because he has so many unblockable moves and projectiles. He just doesn't fit in with the rest of the game tbh

Jeffahn

People who like rubbishing Vf4~ should take a trip to Japan and see exactly which game is the most popular arcade fighter. Those guys don't spend hours in the arcades day and day for their image; they do it because they enjoy playing VF competitively. Tekken 5 has become relatively popular, but that'll all change again when VF5 hits.

Future

123rl said:
I'm not sure what to say. I'm not doubting you (and I was only joking when I said maybe you suck) but I haven't had any problems with the AI and this is the first negative thing I've read about the AI. In my experience the AI has been very good, especially in arcade mode.

I hate Jinpachi though...worst boss ever. There's no point trying to be technical playing against because he has so many unblockable moves and projectiles. He just doesn't fit in with the rest of the game tbh

Yeah, I don't get the AI hate. Of course it's not better than a person, but at least it doesn't feel like it "cheats" you. It's actual pretty good if you want learn how to counter some simple strings and juggle setups, cuz the AI busts them out all the time. They still don't have the AI performing some of the advanced juggles you see people doing though

Jinpachi though....god damn. Seems like every fighting game nowadays has a crappy ass last boss with bullshit unblockables and cheesy AI.

Finaika

Am I the only one who thinks Jinpachi is not that hard to defeat? I can sometimes even beat him without even continuing. And I play on Ultra Hard mode *_*

mint

Banned
Radius said:
WTF? Tekken 5 (PAL) has the worst AI since Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Fall down or be juggled once and you have absolutely NO chance to win the round anymore. Is THIS supposed to be "balance"? Losing to Panda and Jack-5 with a "perfect" (continuously)?
Clearly the worst Tekken on PS2 in terms of gameplay. It seems they've forgotten what's "fun" supposed to be.
Very sad because I really love the rest of the game (except the extremely dumb cut scenes and Jinpachi)
Lol..someone please teach this poor player how to play..

Anyanka

I don't think he's very hard either.

I can't wait for Tekken 5.1, it better come to the US and for PS2/PS3 in some form. It'd be great if the rumors of 2 new characters are true.

It's funny how people constantly bring up how VF is big in Japan as if that matters.

Finaika

Jeffahn said:
People who like rubbishing Vf4~ should take a trip to Japan and see exactly which game is the most popular arcade fighter. Those guys don't spend hours in the arcades day and day for their image; they do it because they enjoy playing VF competitively.
Yup and the people who play Tekken 5 do it for their image and don't enjoy playing Tekken competitively... uh what?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anyanka said:
I can't wait for Tekken 5.1, it better come to the US and for PS2/PS3 in some form. It'd be great if the rumors of 2 new characters are true.

If there were two new characters, wouldn't there be some sort of info released at this point? I'm sure it's just a bunch of tweaks and nothing more.

Jeffahn

Finaika said:
Yup and the people who play Tekken 5 do it for their image and don't enjoy playing Tekken competitively... uh what?

I wasn't speaking in absolute terms. VF is just more popular where it counts; the arcades. Arcade earnings, at the end of the day, are just far less superficial than sales of console games, which are often subject to irrational hype and fayboyism.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Radius said:
AI that juggles you is good AI, that's how you play Tekken.

Anyanka

Lyte Edge said:
If there were two new characters, wouldn't there be some sort of info released at this point? I'm sure it's just a bunch of tweaks and nothing more.

It's not like we know much, just info from Arcadia and a limited test. It's possible they'll add more stuff when it's time for major testing or release. Even a few extra stages and items would be nice. But even if it is just tweaks it still needs a home release.

Finaika

Jeffahn said:
I wasn't speaking in absolute terms. VF is just more popular where it counts; the arcades. Arcade earnings, at the end of the day, are just far less superficial than sales of console games, which are often subject to irrational hype and fayboyism.

Yea VF is more popular... in Japan. Ooops I forgot, Japan > Rest of the world right?

Radius

OK, now I officially hate this game: After 15 hours into the game it suddenly decides to erase its own memory card data. I got over it, started playing again and - what a surprise - the data was corrupted again (with the other games data still being there and functioning). I'll try it again on my other memory card but if this happens again - every upcoming Namco game: sales -1

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Bebpo said:
I think if DoA can just get rid of the fucking counters and design a more strategy worthy reversal system it'll be able to sit behind the VF series as the 2nd best 3d fighter. Seriously, they have a pretty solid fighting engine on their hands but the counter deal just crashes any shot it has at being a serious fighter.
tob2ps002.jpg

Hello, my name is Tobal 2. Please rip off my countering/grappling system, Team Ninja. Thanks!

Anyanka

Radius said:
OK, now I officially hate this game: After 15 hours into the game it suddenly decides to erase its own memory card data. I got over it, started playing again and - what a surprise - the data was corrupted again (with the other games data still being there and functioning). I'll try it again on my other memory card but if this happens again - every upcoming Namco game: sales -1

Don't shut the game off while it's Auto-saving.

Jer

Turn autosave off altogether; it's evil. Our group has lost data more than once with autosave on even though we definitely don't turn the game off while it's saving. But with autosave off we've never lost data.

I wonder what version tourneys will use if 5.1 doesn't get a home release.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, once you get everything unlocked, shut off autosave. Save the game once when you're done playing.

Or just don't shut the system off when it's saving. :p

bob_arctor said:
tob2ps002.jpg

Hello, my name is Tobal 2. Please rip off my countering/grappling system, Team Ninja. Thanks!

As someone that's never played tobal 2, are you saying that the countering system is like that or that tobal 2 has a worthy system that needs to be copied? Sounded more like the latter

Meantime

Mr. Rellik said:
As someone that's never played tobal 2, are you saying that the countering system is like that or that tobal 2 has a worthy system that needs to be copied? Sounded more like the latter

Tobal 2 had a really nice grapple/throw system, there hasn't been anything much like it since that I can think of.

Anyanka

I've never had my Tekken data deleted but I lost my SC II data thanks to Auto-save. Doing that conquest mode again was just brutal. I've got my T5 data saved to the hard drive just in case.

Jer, are you the same Jer from Smartmarks?

Jer

Anyanka said:
I've never had my Tekken data deleted but I lost my SC II data thanks to Auto-save. Doing that conquest mode again was just brutal. I've got my T5 data saved to the hard drive just in case.

Wow that would be brutal. Heh SC2's 1P got so tedius I just gave up and copied data from my roommate.

Jer, are you the same Jer from Smartmarks?

Yep. Hi.

Anyanka

Hi. I started playing as Feng last month. b+1 into b+1+2 is so good.

I hate those dungeon missions where you have to play like 20 matches to get to the end. I also lost my MvsC2 data for DC and just gave up. There's way too many hidden characters to unlock and the one player is just boring. They really need to release button codes to unlock everything a few months after these games come out. It's horrible when you set up a Tekken gathering and nobody thinks to bring a memory card.

Jer

Anyanka said:

Yeah, and he's got so many setups to bait people into getting hit by b+1 counter. He's fun. 5.1 is not going to be good to him, though. -10 b+1 is bad. :(

Where are the rumors of new characters for 5.1 coming from? Someplace legit? That'd be really cool.

They really need to release button codes to unlock everything a few months after these games come out. It's horrible when you set up a Tekken gathering and nobody thinks to bring a memory card.

Yeah, they really do. It's even funnier when it happens at a tourney. There was some SC2 tourney I went to, probably one of those awful VGames tournies, where they didn't have a memory card with SC2 data on it and someone was frantically playing through conquest to unlock at least most of the hidden characters before the tourney started. Too good, heh.

Anyanka

In Markman's 5.1 update thread at Zaibatsu he says something like "possible 2 new characters, details coming soon". It's all info from Arcadia and credible sources like DUK so I guess it's possible.

And I see he just updated it, saying it's coming out in Japan on the 11th. There's gonna be a flood of new info then.

Finaika

Anyanka said:
I played Tekken 5 at the arcades a few days ago and this Feng player kept on side-stepping and sweep then juggled me for god knows how many hits. Even when I hit the ground he still can keep hitting me. Feng is such a scary character. I beat him like only 3 times with my Asuka while he owned me about 10 times.

Damn I must practice more...

Anyanka

Yeah, the sweep is SS+4. A bunch of juggles you can do after it. It's going to be weaker in 5.1, more delay on block.

I really hope Kuma is better. It's not going to happen, but I can dream.

Top Bottom