• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 5: FINAL JUDGMENT - With THROWS...and MORE THROWS...AND STUFF!

mint

Banned
Bebpo said:
After playing all night and reading the Tekkenzaibatsu forums there's still lot about Tekken that doesn't quite grab me. I mean it's neat that it does it's own thing and doesn't play like other fighters (DoA basically plays close to VF for instance) so I respect Tekken as its own fighting game and Tekken players. But for me the things I don't enjoy so much:
Still Tekken is a great fighter, but I just have more fun playing VF. I don't think I've ever been bored in a VF match in the arcade or at home whether it's vs a human or cpu because I'm always trying something a little different and seeing the results.

TK? Please...don't ever go to that newb zone again..(aside from a few players like Tony-T). And i dunno about you, but i feel tekken 5's hits and sound effects have alot more umph than vf4ft

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
anyone doing dial-a-combos in Tekken will get owned by good players...that is all

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
MrAngryFace said:
Who cares about sound effects? Is it a better fighting game? No. Fuck you Tekken idiots.

hahaha I like it better that's all that matters to me.. VF is a better real life fight simulator.. but I go to K-1 fights for that...

Skin

I think 9,7 is a bit high but that's just me. I also think you sound a bit cocky at times. Nice little game though. :)

manngc

One thing I really liked about Tekken's graphics since the third one was the animation system. The motion capturing was so nice and smooth looking. Tekken 3 animated better than VF3 when they were released in the arcades. And it still holds today with VF4 and T5. VF's animation system simply doesn't look as good (partially due to the game mechanics, but even some throws in VF look bad...).

I do feel it shouldn't even be questioned on which one is the better playing/better depth game for fighting game players...VF4. The description by Bebpo above illustrates that really well. Although I do like the music in T5 more than VF4 by a long shot... :)

Mann

Tekken 5 rules! Fuck the haters. And I don't even know why some of you idiots (except MAF) are comparing it with a WEAPONS BASED FIGHTERS (SC2).

TEKKEN 5 IS THE BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER!

SC2 is the best weapons based fighter.

MrAngryFace said:
Ever since you changed your avatar youve sucked, doom_bringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

skeletor roxx! :lol

mafown3d6fc.jpg

Future

-------------
anyone doing dial-a-combos in Tekken will get owned by good players
-------------

Nah. You gotta dial every combo in tekken...even if it's just a quick 1-2 punch. I was looking at one my friends trying to play the other day and he could barely do simple strings that were only three attacks long. Because to do a punch punch kick string, you gotta press that kick button way before you even see the animation displayed on screen. Something I never liked about the series.

But it works. Works for good players cuz there is a lot of planning that goes into setups, and stopping a string midway is almost a move itself since strings are slow and so easy to block/reverse midway through. Works for noobs cuz they can button mash and accidentally dial in cool looking combos.

Fun game. But nowhere near as fluid as VF4 or even DoA3.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tekken 5 ROCKS.
VF4 ROCKS.
Soul Calibur 2 ROCKS.

I win.

Anyway, Leguna, you like Tekken 5's graphics and music. You say there's new moves and such, but you don't show anything other than throws over and over again. That's what I get from your "review." It's also why you DON'T play VF4. I'm not sure why you stopped wanting to play Soul Calibur 2 all of a sudden, but I do remember you making a big deal out of the MUSIC getting changed in one stage and then trading the (superior due to three more characters) U.S. version to get the Japanese version.

But I appreciate your hard work in doing this (the intro you made is awesome, might want to get your own original music though), and it's a step up from posting "I LIKE THIS GAME. 10/10. HERE IS A LIST OF VOICE ACTORS AND THEIR PHOTOS."

haunts

Bacon of Hope
VF4 is much more poke based that Tekken 5. You still have to memorize combos if you want to do seirous damage, just like in Tekken, but a lot of stuff coms before these combos. Lots of throws, side steps, staggering moves etc etc..

Tekken is much more flashy. Exploding sparks wheny ou hit someone, SUPER DOOPER charge up moves and ridiculous juggles and wall combos.

VF4 is more of a thinking mans game. You see your options and you have to pick a certain option and hope it pans out.

Tekken 5 is much more reactionary, where you have to feel your opponnent out and capitlize with a hard hitting combo. You do that to some degree in VF4, but the consequences usally arent as devestating as they are in Tekken.

I dont know if there is a combo in VF4 that takes off 80%. :lol

Good players dont 'hope it pans out' certain moves are good in certain situations. Use the right ones.

Im thinking you dont have any clue wtf youre talking about

Alex

I can't play any of 'em. I tried so hard with Virtua Fighter, but I simply don't have the patience to sit around in pratice mode.

I tend to prefer the fighters that go for other elements besides overly convoluted (don't hurt me!) moves lists, but those are always the ones people dub as non-fighters :(

Leguna

Banned
Azih:
I'm still shocked that you didn't like T5's music.

MrAngryFace:
I have some personal issues with SC2. I acknowledge that SC2 is a great game, but I don't think it's as good as T5, close though.

TheDiave:
Hey dude! I wish I was going this year (i'm all registered) but because I just finished buying a house, I'd rather use that money to buy new furniture.

EviLore:
Concerning the T5 and Vf4 comparision. T5 has better character designs, better graphics, better music, better endings and cinemas, better voice overs, better animation and lastly, better gameplay.

sp0rsk:
In case you didn't read it in my very first post, I did that video review very quickly and so a forgot to mention a lot of things. I realize that i got off talking about the visuals too much. I'll be sure the next video review is better. Read my "NOTE ABOUT VIDEO REVIEW"

Bristow:
In case you didn't read it in my very first post, I did that video review very quickly and so a forgot to mention a lot of things. I realize that i got off talking about the visuals too much. I'll be sure the next video review is better. Read my "NOTE ABOUT VIDEO REVIEW"

Bebpo:
I'll have to get back to you later.

Drinky Crow:
Huh? Do explain.

Lyte Edge

I vote Leguna is banned until he learns to use the quote feature and stops posting the exact same thing twice to everyone.

It will give him time to better his review! ;)

Leguna said:
Concerning the T5 and Vf4 comparision. T5 has better character designs, better graphics, better music, better endings and cinemas, better voice overs, better animation and lastly, better gameplay.

Right about everything but the only thing that matters, the last.

Lyte Edge

Leguna said:

Game play is the most important element in fighting games, and VF4 destroys all the other fighting games in terms of its sheer depth. How does Tekken 5 have better game play in comparison? You never got into the game. You never learned how to really PLAY VF4. How can you make that comparison other than just not liking VF4 (which is okay)?

Look at what you wrote. It's all about the aesthetics of Tekken 5. It shows in your video review. There's certainly nothing WRONG with liking all that stuff, and I agree that the presentation/design absolutely spanks VF4, but that's not why most people are playing these games.

manngc

Let's make a gameplay comparison:
Vf4 - Faster than T5, More difficult to play (ie. executing moves), longer move list
T5 - Slower than VF4, easier to play (greater emphasis on button combinations than stick manuevers), and a shorter move list.

Which you prefer is up to you. But T5 is a lot easier to get into and is plenty deep for most people.

Mann

Lyte Edge said:
but that's not why most people are playing these games.

Let's back things up. I just dealt with this same thing (when I reviewed T5 myself). There's a lot of people who just want a pick-up-and-play fighter with enough depth to give them something to learn. Tekken 5 does that and more, and give you lots of little shinies and toys to play with in the meantime.

The crazy tournament-going hard core isn't the only fighting audience.

manngc said:
Vf4 - Faster than T5, More difficult to play (ie. executing moves), longer move list

That's like saying Doom is better than Halo because you can carry more guns. It's superficial, and meaningless.

VF4 is different and deeper because there's a lot more game to it than simply maintaining an offensive without letting your guard down. Manuevering and countering and responding on the fly are a lot more important than they are in Tekken.

manngc said:
Which you prefer is up to you. But T5 is a lot easier to get into and is plenty deep for most people.

Bingo. What Tekken has is pick-up-and-play appeal; VF4 runs deep, but that's not initially obvious.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MrAngryFace said:
Good players dont 'hope it pans out' certain moves are good in certain situations. Use the right ones.

Im thinking you dont have any clue wtf youre talking about

I mean, this is the guy who said he "makes his own combos." Thats scrub talk for "I dont have the mental capacity to learn a combo."

VF4 is a game of rock paper scissors. Now, I dont expect someone like yourself to really be able to grasp an idea like "multiple options for any given situation", considering you are obviosuly pressing punch and kick trying to make your "own combos", but I will explain it to you none the less.

Lets say I am Goh..

I shoulder ram someons c. punch. They will stagger. Now I have a couple options. I can try to launch them with bf + punch, I can try to dash up and throw, and I can also do another shoulder ram. If I try to throw, they can hit me. If they block, I can throw them. If they try to hit, I can launch them or I can do another shoulder ram for another stagger.

Not all of these options will work and a lot of it can be a gussing game. Some things are guarnteed in the game, like certain throws after certain moves, but a lot of it is quickly evaluating the siutation, picking your best option, and yes, hoping it pans out.

Lets say youre an idiot, and by some chance are allowed to post on this forum. While some mentally handicapped child who would probably contribute more is not given access to post messages.

Life unfair? Yes!

Meantime

Leguna said:
No, but at some point I'm going to apply to the top guns (not for at least 2 years). Not many people can say they have written over 150 reviews, has industry insiders as friends, has experienced making games, and is a very good 3D animator that also enjoys the art of film making.

No offence dude, but working in the games industry doesn't give you a special insight. I've been doing it for a lot longer than you. Get over yourself.

Lyte Edge

Meantime said:
No offence dude, but working in the games industry doesn't give you a special insight. I've been doing it for a lot longer than you. Get over yourself.

He doesn't work in the games industry anyway.

I just want to know where "150 reviews" comes from. ;)

manngc

Jared,
I was not detailing what made VF4 deeper than T5, I was detailed gameplay differences. And a significantly longer move list definately qualifies as a gameplay difference for fighters. They is quite simply much more gameplay in VF4 than in T5. But by that same token it can be much more daunting. Not to mention VF4 is harder to play well.

I hope these points can surely be agreed upon. :)

Mann

manngc said:
Jared,
I was not detailing what made VF4 deeper than T5, I was detailed gameplay differences. And a significantly longer move list definately qualifies as a gameplay difference for fighters. They is quite simply much more gameplay in VF4 than in T5. But by that same token it can be much more daunting. Not to mention VF4 is harder to play well.

I hope these points can surely be agreed upon. :)

Mann

Geez, I keep forgetting I use my real name on GAF. It's so weird to see people use it.

Fair enough. I think we both meant the same thing, anyway...silly things like "words" getting in the way.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MrAngryFace said:
Lets say youre an idiot, and by some chance are allowed to post on this forum. While some mentally handicapped child who would probably contribute more is not given access to post messages.

Life unfair? Yes!

Are you sad I made fun of your little samurai cartoon? :lol

Listen dude, it's not my fault you're a scrub and can't do combos, but dont take it out on me.

Instead of trying so hard to be clever on an internet forum, go to virtuafighter.com, check out their forum and learn a little about about the game you are playing.

Anyanka

Some of the comments in these VF vs. Tekken debates are so vague they could be applied to any fighter.

VF has some of the worst sound effects ever. The swoosh is horrible and the punches and kicks sound so weak.

Tabris

people use 10 hit combos? since when? maybe a piece of it to aid in a juggle.

Tekken is all about the air juggles and that higher level of mind games.

I think a lot of the hate tekken gets is from people who don't understand it.

Joeholley

Nicely done; just wanted to mention that in your quest to improve your video reviews, you should do some research into properly deinterlacing your video. You'll get significantly better results in the final version at these bitrates if the video has been deinterlaced first. Nice first effort!

Note: If this was your third or fourth effort, I'd be ripping into you about deinterlacing techniques right now; I hope this didn't come off two harsh (I have strong feelings on the subject)! It's a common beginner's mistake and easy (if somewhat time-consuming) to correct. Good luck on your next one and keep them coming.

haunts said:
I mean, this is the guy who said he "makes his own combos." Thats scrub talk for "I dont have the mental capacity to learn a combo."

VF4 is a game of rock paper scissors. Now, I dont expect someone like yourself to really be able to grasp an idea like "multiple options for any given situation", considering you are obviosuly pressing punch and kick trying to make your "own combos", but I will explain it to you none the less.

Lets say I am Goh..

I shoulder ram someons c. punch. They will stagger. Now I have a couple options. I can try to launch them with bf + punch, I can try to dash up and throw, and I can also do another shoulder ram. If I try to throw, they can hit me. If they block, I can throw them. If they try to hit, I can launch them or I can do another shoulder ram for another stagger.

Not all of these options will work and a lot of it can be a gussing game. Some things are guarnteed in the game, like certain throws after certain moves, but a lot of it is quickly evaluating the siutation, picking your best option, and yes, hoping it pans out.

That could be applied to almost any fighter though (to an extent). Where (imo) vf's brilliance shines is in the depth and strategy of buffering and guard buffering. If you're good, you can spot when a opponent WILL most likely throw you, form there...you have several things you must consider...

1: First off, how much life do I have left. I think this is obvious why this needs to be considered, as some throws are considerably more powerful than others...

2: Ring placement, this will be explored in a bit more detail in a little bit...

3: Who you're figthing. This kindof goes in hand with 2

We'll leave it at that for now, cuz I don't feel like writing an essay here.

2 and 3 specifically need to be considered because to break a throw in vf you need to hit the direction + p (i think, i'm a bit rusty on my vf, it's been quite somem time...it may be p+g or just g). This gets interesting because in a stun, you actually have time to buffer in a few escapes. If you're really good you may be able to hit 3, i could only ever do 2, but maybe 3 is possible. This gives you a few throws you can sortof immunize yourself from. You can see where this requires VF players to have a very good knowledge of not just their own character, but EVERY character. They need to know the strategy behind what throws shoul dbe used where and under what circumstances.

Now on the opponent's side, they need to take this into account in choosing the throw they are going to use. If they're not careful they'll be escaped and now the roles will be reversed.

Theres more that goes into it than that, maybe I'll add some more later, but that should be good for now. This is a dynamic not really present in Tekken due to it's simple throw escapes.

Of course this is just one instance of VF's complexity, and not even a very deep analysis of it.

We won't even get into DoA when it comes to throw escapes. I could write a 10 page essay on that...mostly bashing itagaki for not including any way to reverse command throws.

Fantasmo

Meantime said:
Maybe I read this wrong, but are you actually promoting shitty bosses a la T5 as a good thing?

Y'know, I love these Tekken topics.

Shitty bosses, lame flashy gameplay, everything based on tenstrings and other similar hogwash is spewed by VF lovers. At higher levels, these things don't happen.

Anyway, you can't enter a Tekken thread on this site without a huge horde of VF trolls led by MAF burning Tekken fans at the stake. If you love VF so much, sticky a VF topic called "VF appreciation topic" and be done with it!

Future

-----------
Shitty bosses, lame flashy gameplay, everything based on tenstrings and other similar hogwash is spewed by VF lovers
-----------

Hard not to agree with the boss part though. I have a lot of fun in Tekken...until I get to the boss. Why they continue to make these ridiculous demon bosses instead of just making a highly skilled and powerful dude is beyond me

Meantime

junkster said:

Shitty bosses, lame flashy gameplay, everything based on tenstrings and other similar hogwash is spewed by VF lovers. At higher levels, these things don't happen.

Anyway, you can't enter a Tekken thread on this site without a huge horde of VF trolls led by MAF burning Tekken fans at the stake. If you love VF so much, sticky a VF topic called "VF appreciation topic" and be done with it!

I didn't mention VF at all. Jinpachi is without a doubt one of the shittiest bosses ever. Do you have a point to make, or are you just talking shit?

junkster said:

Personally, I really enjoy Tekken. I've played it alot more than VF recently, but theres some things it just doesn't do at the same level as VF.

Fantasmo

From another topic:

Drinky Crow said:
Some dumbshits just have too much testerone, too few brain cells, and too poor an understanding of how respect works.

So if you understand this respect thing, how about letting us enjoy our game while you enjoy yours?

This trolling sucks. You're a mod, sticky a VF topic Drinky!

Not to mention that T5 is poorly balanced. Top tier being. Hei,Steve,bryan,nina,devil jin.
With steve being rapeage god; especially if he is fighting on a stage with walls.

VF is 90% player and maybe 10% character choice. The same guy that used Shun @ EVO 2k4 won the latest SEGA national tourney with Shun Di.

Tekken 5 is slower and like Rock/paper/scissors except you're safe on block typically so you throw out most moves till you see your opponent whiff or throw out scizzors and you bash his head in with rock for at least half life.

Newduck

How Leguna manages in every thread hes in to spread such powerful ignorance with amazing confidence is astounding. Maybe if you wearn't so forward with the way you present your opinions you wouldn't be regarded as one of the biggest idiots on the forum.

Bebpo

Banned
Leguna said:
I'll have to get back to you later.

Nah, you don't have to get back to me. I'm not trying to debate. Tekken 5 is a good fighter, Tekken fans like it, but as a borderline Tekken1-3 fan and a VF1-Evo lover I don't enjoy it and derive extreme pleasure from it as I do when playing Evo. T5 may be the best fighting game in the world, but I enjoy Evo more. This is not a debate it's just my personal opinion.

thanks,

Top Bottom