• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 5: FINAL JUDGMENT - With THROWS...and MORE THROWS...AND STUFF!

Anyanka

Meantime said:
Maybe I read this wrong, but are you actually promoting shitty bosses a la T5 as a good thing?

No, I'm just teasing Bacon(who I know outside GAF).

But I don't think Jinpachi is a bad boss.

Anyanka

I don't know what you're looking for here. I like the Tekken 5 gameplay, so fighting it's final opponent is entertaining.

The only thing that sucks about him is his stun palm.

Meantime

Anyanka said:
I don't know what you're looking for here. I like the Tekken 5 gameplay, so fighting it's final opponent is entertaining.

The only thing that sucks about him is his stun palm.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Jinpachi throws away all the rules of Tekken 5 that make it fun to play, and just randomly fucks you. It's absolutely not skill based, you can't block it, he just fucks you when he wants to. Why anyone finds that 'fun' is what I don't understand.

Again, I do like Tekken 5 a lot, but I cannot see why anyone would defend Jinpachi. He's shit.

Anyanka

Other than the palm he doesn't have anything that makes the fight any different than a regular Tekken match. I don't need to use any cheap special tactics or anything like that. And while the palm does suck, the AI isn't good enough to make it matter. He's just got strong moves, which is fine since he's the boss.

It would be horrible fighting him under human control though.

Meantime

Anyanka said:
Other than the palm he doesn't have anything that makes the fight any different than a regular Tekken match.

Right. So other than the one move he uses all the time that breaks all the rules of the Tekken fighting engine, he's great.

Anyanka said:
It would be horrible fighting him under human control though.

True. The same could be said of most fighting game bosses :)

Anyanka

I don't think he's great. I just said he's fun to fight and isn't bad. He's not even my favorite Tekken boss and I don't think I'd call any of them great final boss battles.

jett

D-Member
MrAngryFace said:
Good players dont 'hope it pans out' certain moves are good in certain situations. Use the right ones.

Im thinking you dont have any clue wtf youre talking about

Yeah, I'm sure you know more than haunts about fighting games. :lol Go back to making your shitty "funny" threads.

Leguna

Banned
TO ALL:
Let's some things straight here, VF4, T5 and SC2 are all good games, BUT some are better than others for good reason. I would say that all 3 games are high skill based games. To give everyone a good idea of how those 3 fighters compare, look below:

BEST CHARACTER DESIGNS:
1st: Tekken 5
2nd: Soul Calibur 2
3rd: Virtua Fighter 4

BEST ANIMATION:
1st: Soul Calibur 2
2nd: Tekken 5

BEST MUSIC:
3rd: Virtura Figther 4

BEST ENDINGS/INTRO:

BEST EXTRAS:

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Leguna said:
TO ALL:
Let's some things straight here, VF4, T5 and SC2 are all good games, BUT some are better than others for good reason. I would say that all 3 games high skill based games. To give everyone a good idea of how those 3 fighters compare, look below:

BEST CHARACTER DESIGNS:

BEST ANIMATION:

BEST MUSIC:

BEST ENDINGS/INTRO:

BEST EXTRAS:

lol what. Tekken 5 is so bare bones, so what you can play old games once and be like lol those games are ugly. VFevo gives you all sorts of different REAL play modes, and the classic game is actually a combination of new and old making it a real bonus as opposed to some old games tacked on to fill up disc space.

Rorschach

Leguna said:
TO ALL:
Let's some things straight here, VF4, T5 and SC2 are all good games, BUT some are better than others for good reason. I would say that all 3 games high skill based games. To give everyone a good idea of how those 3 fighters compare, look below:

BEST CHARACTER DESIGNS:

BEST ANIMATION:

BEST MUSIC:

BEST ENDINGS/INTRO:

BEST EXTRAS:
1) you're on crack.
2)where does gameplay fit in?

manngc

Yeah, I do find it pretty damn funny that gameplay is again not mentioned. Leguna, you might want to pay attention to that every so often.

Regarding Single player content, I don't think that is even worth mentioning/comparing. I know VF4 has essentially the best 1P mode, but the meat of a fighting game is obivously in its versus mode.

Mann

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
junkster said:
Y'know, I love these Tekken topics.

Shitty bosses, lame flashy gameplay, everything based on tenstrings and other similar hogwash is spewed by VF lovers. At higher levels, these things don't happen.

Anyway, you can't enter a Tekken thread on this site without a huge horde of VF trolls led by MAF burning Tekken fans at the stake. If you love VF so much, sticky a VF topic called "VF appreciation topic" and be done with it!

VF was brought up in the very first post... and in a negative way. Don't blame other people for leguna's stupidity.

Azih

Wow once again Leguna made me want to place a nail on the side of my head and pound it in with a hammer.

Bravo Leguna Bravo!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mann, I'd say VF4 Evolution has the best single player modes simply because of the training mode that actually teaches you how to play the game. More games need to do this.

Leguna said:
TO ALL:

BEST CHARACTER DESIGNS:

BEST ANIMATION:

BEST MUSIC:

BEST ENDINGS/INTRO:

BEST EXTRAS:

By posting this, you've pretty much confirmed to the entire forum what matters to you, and game play clearly isn't it.

Leguna, where's your "Control pads are better than arcade sticks and anyone that uses a stick is a retard" thread you said you would make? I need some more comedy.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
morbidaza said:
That could be applied to almost any fighter though (to an extent). Where (imo) vf's brilliance shines is in the depth and strategy of buffering and guard buffering. If you're good, you can spot when a opponent WILL most likely throw you, form there...you have several things you must consider...

1: First off, how much life do I have left. I think this is obvious why this needs to be considered, as some throws are considerably more powerful than others...

2: Ring placement, this will be explored in a bit more detail in a little bit...

3: Who you're figthing. This kindof goes in hand with 2

We'll leave it at that for now, cuz I don't feel like writing an essay here.

2 and 3 specifically need to be considered because to break a throw in vf you need to hit the direction + p (i think, i'm a bit rusty on my vf, it's been quite somem time...it may be p+g or just g). This gets interesting because in a stun, you actually have time to buffer in a few escapes. If you're really good you may be able to hit 3, i could only ever do 2, but maybe 3 is possible. This gives you a few throws you can sortof immunize yourself from. You can see where this requires VF players to have a very good knowledge of not just their own character, but EVERY character. They need to know the strategy behind what throws shoul dbe used where and under what circumstances.

Now on the opponent's side, they need to take this into account in choosing the throw they are going to use. If they're not careful they'll be escaped and now the roles will be reversed.

Theres more that goes into it than that, maybe I'll add some more later, but that should be good for now. This is a dynamic not really present in Tekken due to it's simple throw escapes.

Of course this is just one instance of VF's complexity, and not even a very deep analysis of it.

We won't even get into DoA when it comes to throw escapes. I could write a 10 page essay on that...mostly bashing itagaki for not including any way to reverse command throws.

I agree 100%. The point I was trying to get at is VF relies on a lot more on stratgey and knowing which options you have at the time and going with the one you assume has the highest rate of success. In Tekken, I think it is much more focused on landing that solid 80% wall combo or whatever, more so than breaking throws and all of that.

Leguna

Banned
TO ALL:
WOAH!!! Hold it there! Gameplay is ultra important and I had already mentioned that all 3 games were highly skilled based, but i'm still undecided on which had better gameplay. As it stands now, this is the way I feel:

BEST GAMEPLAY:

I had taken this out of my earilier reply because I'm still un sure if I find SC2's gameplay more fun, but I have decided that Tekken 5's is best.

And let me make very clear to all those players out there that think joy sticks are better than pads: PADs ARE BETTER AND WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER FOR FIGHTING GAMES THAN JOY STICKS! Reasons are because you can't be quite be as fast with a joy stick as you could with a pad both with the D-pad and buttons and with games like these, speed matters. This is not to say you can't be good with a joy stick, im saying you could be better with a pad (there you have it LyteEdge).

Lyte Edge:
Why do you still try to tell the forum that I don't care about gameplay? Dude, i've made it VERY clear in every review i've ever written that gameplay matters. But gameplay alone doesn't make a great game, its the music, gameplay and visuals that do (something you have a hard time agree with for some reason). NOW SHUT THE F*$& UP ABOUT THE GRAPHICS WHORE S*^%!!! I didn't mention gameplay in that last reply for a reason, but that shouldn't matter because in my review i discuss it, why you people have to keep arguing that I don't mention it everytime i talk about game is just asinine.

Takuan

Leguna said:
TO ALL:
And let me make very clear to all those players out there that think joy sticks are better than pads: PADs ARE BETTER AND WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER FOR FIGHTING GAMES THAN JOY STICKS! Reasons are because you can't be quite as fast with a joy stick as you could with a pad both with the D-pad and buttons and with games like these, speed matters. This is not to say you can't be good with a joy stick, im saying you could be better with a pad (there you have it LyteEdge).
:lol

Azih

Leguna said:
TO ALL:
Why do you still try to tell the forum that I don't care about gameplay?
Dude you spend like 5 words on gameplay in every one of your reviews. The only point where you said anything of substance in the video review was the "the gameplay isn't fresh enough" and that was what... 5 seconds?

Leguna is a joke character
yes but not by intent.

Leguna must be getting a kick out of people replying to him. He can't be this dumb, or can he?

How many things has he bragged about then got owned in?
I know of: 1) Halo 2
2) SFIII:3s (he's world beater quality supposedly) :lol :lol :lol

anything else?

Lyte Edge

Leguna said:
And let me make very clear to all those players out there that think joy sticks are better than pads: PADs ARE BETTER AND WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER FOR FIGHTING GAMES THAN JOY STICKS! Reasons are because you can't be quite as fast with a joy stick as you could with a pad both with the D-pad and buttons and with games like these, speed matters. This is not to say you can't be good with a joy stick, im saying you could be better with a pad (there you have it LyteEdge).

:lol :lol :lol

No, sorry, not good enough...too many will miss out on what could be a classic thread. I want a new thread with this statement. :)

Hey Haunts, is the tourney here in Atlanta going to be using boards/machines, or game systems? Just wondering because Birdo said he wouldn't go if it's all arcade stuff since "joysticks suck." ;)

Lyte Edge:
Why do you still try to tell the forum that I don't care about gameplay? Dude, i've made it VERY clear in every review i've ever written that gameplay matters.

Really? Well, let's pull up your last "review" and see what you had to say about the game play in Metal Gear Solid 3!

PLAYSTATION 2:
Metal Gear Solid 3

FINAL JUDGMENT SCORE: 10 out of 10 PERFECT SCORE
With MGS3, Hideo Kojima has proven himself to be best known entertainer in the world, in my opinion. I know everyone has a right to their own opinion, but damnit if you don’t think this game is extremely well done then, with all due respect, you have no clue. Playing through MGS3 is now listed as one of my favorite moments of my life! Detailed and cinematic gameplay, awesome music by Harry Gregson Williams, and once again the best real-time cinemas in any videogame to date make this the best videogame ever made in my eyes (I’m seeing the future of gaming through this game). Cheers!

GAMEPLAY: 10 out of 10
MUSIC: 10 out of 10
VISUALS: 10 out of 10

(Three pages of pictures of voice actors removed)

"Detailed and cinematic game play." - Oh look, the words "game play" are used in one sentence. I WAS WRONG. That clearly tells me all about the changes made to MGS3, and new additions like using tree branches, needing to treat wounds, eating for survival, etc. "DETAILED AND CINEMATIC GAME PLAY" covers it all!

"AWESOME MUSIC"
"Best real time cinemas in any video game to date"

-Yes, clearly a review focused on game play to show everyone what makes MGS3 play as well. I especially like how pictures of the voice actors were posted to make everything even that more in-depth. So informative!

Someone else used to have the tag, but you need "Owns himself daily" under your name. This is just too easy. :lol

But gameplay alone doesn't make a great game, its the music, gameplay and visuals that do (something you have a hard time agree with for some reason).

-I don't have a hard time with it. I DO think that game play is, especially in fighting games, the most important part of a game, and I'm willing to overlook outdated visuals or bland music if the game play is fun. You do not, but never mind any of that. The point is that you NEVER talk about game play in thread you make. It's always about the music, character design, graphics, etc. LOOK AT YOUR THREAD.

NOW SHUT THE F*$& UP ABOUT THE GRAPHICS WHORE S*^%!!! I didn't mention gameplay in that last reply for a reason, but that shouldn't matter because in my review i discuss it

You do? I hear "Tekken 5 has COOL new moves, COOL new throws, and COOL game play" in that video, then it's basically "but fuck all that shit, this game has AWESOME COOL music and AWESOME COOL CG movies, which look amazingly COOL and I KNOW because I do CG!!"

why you people have to keep arguing that I don't mention it everytime i talk about game is just asinine.

It's because YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT GAME PLAY IN YOUR REVIEWS. :lol That's why it's "you people" plural and not just one guy pointing it out.

"NOT JUST COOL MOVES, BUT VERY COOL WELL ANIMATED MOVES"

"ANOTHER PLUS FOR THIS GAME IS THE MUSIC, YOU'RE LISTENING TO THE SOUNDTRACK RIGHT NOW"

Yes Ii can't play a game if it doesn't have the bombest soundtrack and the best throw escape animations

Fantasmo

morbidaza said:
That could be applied to almost any fighter though (to an extent). Where (imo) vf's brilliance shines is in the depth and strategy of buffering and guard buffering. If you're good, you can spot when a opponent WILL most likely throw you, form there...you have several things you must consider...

1: First off, how much life do I have left. I think this is obvious why this needs to be considered, as some throws are considerably more powerful than others...

2: Ring placement, this will be explored in a bit more detail in a little bit...

3: Who you're figthing. This kindof goes in hand with 2

We'll leave it at that for now, cuz I don't feel like writing an essay here.

2 and 3 specifically need to be considered because to break a throw in vf you need to hit the direction + p (i think, i'm a bit rusty on my vf, it's been quite somem time...it may be p+g or just g). This gets interesting because in a stun, you actually have time to buffer in a few escapes. If you're really good you may be able to hit 3, i could only ever do 2, but maybe 3 is possible. This gives you a few throws you can sortof immunize yourself from. You can see where this requires VF players to have a very good knowledge of not just their own character, but EVERY character. They need to know the strategy behind what throws shoul dbe used where and under what circumstances.

Now on the opponent's side, they need to take this into account in choosing the throw they are going to use. If they're not careful they'll be escaped and now the roles will be reversed.

Theres more that goes into it than that, maybe I'll add some more later, but that should be good for now. This is a dynamic not really present in Tekken due to it's simple throw escapes.

Of course this is just one instance of VF's complexity, and not even a very deep analysis of it.

We won't even get into DoA when it comes to throw escapes. I could write a 10 page essay on that...mostly bashing itagaki for not including any way to reverse command throws.

I'm not sure what all this means exactly? Are you saying Tekken doesn't have specific throw escapes? Cuz the 3 part King's Bridge throw string that I break on my friend all the time would disagree. He never gets more than part 1 off on me now and I've forced him to learn new strings. And different throws from difference characters are broken in different ways, same as VF. Try choosing your arguments of depth and complexity more carefully. Throw escapes are not a comparison point!

"THIS GAME LOOKS LIKE IT COST A FORTUNE TO MAKE. EACH CHARACTER HAS THEIR OWN HIGH END PRERENDERED COMPUTER GRAPHICS ENDING"

For the record... FUCK JINPACHI.

What a cheap ass, lame boss.

typical "demon" bullshit... does a lot of damge, doesnt take a lot with UBER attacks,

Fuck all that.... even Ogre wasnt that ridiculous.

Is it just me or is Jinpachi's hit zones REALLY fucked up?

yoshifumi

Banned
:lol:lol 3d fighting game threads here are always hilarious...anyways, i was thinking about picking up t5 sometime soon, to see if it really does stack up to vf4:evo, which i've actually started playing again...started with brad again, then maybe wolf next. or aoi, but i don't think i'll ever be even decent with her.

Leguna

Banned
LyteEdge:
Bringing up my first and only review SUMMARY doesn't help your argument at all. Besides, I mention gameplay I much as I mention anything else in that tiny paragraph. How about actually bringing up any one of my full reviews!!!

You can try to make it sound like I don't value gameplay, but you'll fail everytime. You sir, are finished.

The point is that you NEVER talk about game play in thread you make
WHAT?????????????? Are you forgetting every "GAMEPLAY" section I've ever written? You're an idiot for saying that you realize.

Dude, in this thread alone, look at my written review of this game!!! Not to mention EVERY OTHER FULL REVIEW I'VE EVER WRITTEN! If you'd actually READ my reviews you'd see that I talk about gameplay everytime.

You've got no ground to stand on.

Finaika

Leguna said:
TO ALL:BEST CHARACTER DESIGNS:

BEST ANIMATION:

BEST MUSIC:

BEST ENDINGS/INTRO:

BEST EXTRAS:
Imo Tekken 5 has much better animation than Soul Calibur 2, the motion captured animation is superb, especially the facial expressions.

And thus Tekken 5 reigns supreme! :D

Lyte Edge

Psst...Kobun Heat wants to see this for the comedy gold, not the content.

Leguna said:
LyteEdge:
Bringing up my first and only review SUMMARY doesn't help your argument at all. Besides, I mention gameplay I much as I mention anything else in that tiny paragraph. How about actually bringing up any one of my full reviews!!!

You can try to make it sound like I don't value gameplay, but you'll fail everytime. You sir, are finished.

Let's take another look at more of your AWESOME COOL reviews:

FINARU JUDGEMENTO said:
XBOX:
Ninja Gaiden

PLAYTIME:
My time on beating Ninja Gaiden is 22 hours! That was totally unexpected. This action game has the length of an RPG!

FINAL JUDGMENT: THE PERFECT GAME 10 out of 10
While not as under hyped as Ico on PS2, Ninja Gaiden should have gotten more marketing PUSH for a game of this caliber and quality. That's right, a perfect score and Ninja Gaiden deserves it. My hat goes off to the director and Team Ninja for this game.

The gameplay in NG is unbelievably well designed. Ryu (main character) has more moves than almost any fighting game I could name. It also helps that Ryu's moves are the coolest animations I've seen since Dante walked around firing 2 handguns!

NG is indeed a very hard game, but a very FUN hard! Every time I died it always felt fair and I never was angry for losing. This is because NG's difficulty is highly skill based. Anything and everything can be avoided; it’s up to the player to make the move. The gameplay is designed around the player's reflexes and fast decision making. People complain about the camera but it never got in my way of playing. The only change I would make is adding the ability to rotate the camera.

Visually NG has the best graphics I've seen in a videogame to date, period (close call between Riddick on Xbox, Onimusha 3 and this game). From the graphics alone you can tell this game had a huge budget. I just don’t know how they do it; this game looks like it’s pushing more polygons than any other game of this genre but at a constant 60fps. Everything from animation, textures, to effects, NG will impress you all the way through.

The CG cinemas are also really impressive and entertaining. They are easily on par with anything that has come from SquareEnix or Capcom; very talented people.

Just when you think they might slack off on sound and music…NOPE!!! Things just keep getting better. The music in this game is great; worth buying the soundtrack! Team Ninja didn't leave a single detail out; they made sure to go the extra mile to please everyone so they included both the English and Japanese voiceovers. The English dubbing is very good, no complaints there either for those that rather hear the game in English. Game companies that include the option really do deserve a lot of credit.

Team Ninja already has a perfect game on their hands, but they don't stop there; they already announced some really cool new content for NG through Xbox Live coming in August! This game is worth buying an Xbox for. Ninja Gaiden is now my 2nd favorite game of all time and that's saying a lot!

MUSIC/DUBBING: 10 out of 10

LAST WORDS:
Ninja Gaiden raised the bar for action games so high that it will probably take a long time before any action out performs this behemoth. As I said before, this game is worth buying an Xbox for. I can't think of anything even remotely bad to say about NG.

Graphics Whorismo said:
GAMECUBE:
Resident Evil 4

FINAL JUDGMENT SCORE: 9.7 out of 10
My hat goes off to Shinji Mikami for his revolutionary idea to make RE4 letterbox and the camera system choice, truly a testament to Mikami’s brilliance.

The game does a great job of making me feel like a bad ass through action like Leon’s awesome rifle reload animation or dodging a swinging tree or elbowing an enemy in the face. The gameplay in RE4 is very cinematic, which is the direction I think all games should go. The last hour of RE4 isn’t as climactic as MGS3’s last moments (actually, there isn’t a game out there that compares to MGS3’s orgasmic last hour). RE4 goes from being ultra scary and suspenseful to action packed, pure survival action. The game does a great job of startling me too.

And HOW did they squeeze those graphics out the Gamecube??? The only console game that compares to RE4 graphically would be MGS3 and if I had to say, I might actually say RE4 has ever so slightly better graphics (that doesn’t mean better cinematics). Also I I’d like to mention that Leon S Kennedy in RE4 is the COOLEST CHARACTER DESIGN IN ANY VIDEOGAME EVER MADE!!! He is a complete bad ass!

The story of RE4 isn’t anywhere near as good as MGS3’s, but still entertaining. The dubbing is great and the cinematics are among MGS’s ranks (but the story isn’t anywhere near as good). The music is very good, movie-soundtrack sounding music.

MUSIC: 9 out of 10

Yes, Leguna, I was indeed wrong. Your reviews are just BURSTING with detail regarding the game play. I get such vivid descriptions of how the game is from reading your amazingly-detailed reviews. That one sentence about game play in RE4 sums it all up so well! And Ninja Gaiden being the only video game that relies on the player's relexes? No other game does that!!! MY MISTAKE.

Leguna

Banned
LyteEdge:
Bring it!!! I've highlighted the sections where I talked about gameplay in the SAME reviews you posted in your reply. How about actually reading instead of just looking for the word "gameplay." Go ahead and explain to me how my hightlighted areas are not related to gameplay???

XBOX:
Ninja Gaiden

PLAYTIME:
My time on beating Ninja Gaiden is 22 hours! That was totally unexpected. This action game has the length of an RPG!

FINAL JUDGMENT: THE PERFECT GAME 10 out of 10
While not as under hyped as Ico on PS2, Ninja Gaiden should have gotten more marketing PUSH for a game of this caliber and quality. That's right, a perfect score and Ninja Gaiden deserves it. My hat goes off to the director and Team Ninja for this game.

The gameplay in NG is unbelievably well designed. Ryu (main character) has more moves than almost any fighting game I could name. It also helps that Ryu's moves are the coolest animations I've seen since Dante walked around firing 2 handguns!

NG is indeed a very hard game, but a very FUN hard! Every time I died it always felt fair and I never was angry for losing. This is because NG's difficulty is highly skill based. Anything and everything can be avoided; it’s up to the player to make the move. The gameplay is designed around the player's reflexes and fast decision making. People complain about the camera but it never got in my way of playing. The only change I would make is adding the ability to rotate the camera.

Visually NG has the best graphics I've seen in a videogame to date, period (close call between Riddick on Xbox, Onimusha 3 and this game). From the graphics alone you can tell this game had a huge budget. I just don’t know how they do it; this game looks like it’s pushing more polygons than any other game of this genre but at a constant 60fps. Everything from animation, textures, to effects, NG will impress you all the way through.

The CG cinemas are also really impressive and entertaining. They are easily on par with anything that has come from SquareEnix or Capcom; very talented people.

Just when you think they might slack off on sound and music…NOPE!!! Things just keep getting better. The music in this game is great; worth buying the soundtrack! Team Ninja didn't leave a single detail out; they made sure to go the extra mile to please everyone so they included both the English and Japanese voiceovers. The English dubbing is very good, no complaints there either for those that rather hear the game in English. Game companies that include the option really do deserve a lot of credit.

Team Ninja already has a perfect game on their hands, but they don't stop there; they already announced some really cool new content for NG through Xbox Live coming in August! This game is worth buying an Xbox for. Ninja Gaiden is now my 2nd favorite game of all time and that's saying a lot!

MUSIC/DUBBING: 10 out of 10

LAST WORDS:
Ninja Gaiden raised the bar for action games so high that it will probably take a long time before any action out performs this behemoth. As I said before, this game is worth buying an Xbox for. I can't think of anything even remotely bad to say about NG.

GAMECUBE:
Resident Evil 4

FINAL JUDGMENT SCORE: 9.7 out of 10
My hat goes off to Shinji Mikami for his revolutionary idea to make RE4 letterbox and the camera system choice, truly a testament to Mikami’s brilliance.

The game does a great job of making me feel like a bad ass through action like Leon’s awesome rifle reload animation or dodging a swinging tree or elbowing an enemy in the face. The gameplay in RE4 is very cinematic, which is the direction I think all games should go. The last hour of RE4 isn’t as climactic as MGS3’s last moments (actually, there isn’t a game out there that compares to MGS3’s orgasmic last hour). RE4 goes from being ultra scary and suspenseful to action packed, pure survival action. The game does a great job of startling me too.

And HOW did they squeeze those graphics out the Gamecube??? The only console game that compares to RE4 graphically would be MGS3 and if I had to say, I might actually say RE4 has ever so slightly better graphics (that doesn’t mean better cinematics). Also I I’d like to mention that Leon S Kennedy in RE4 is the COOLEST CHARACTER DESIGN IN ANY VIDEOGAME EVER MADE!!! He is a complete bad ass!

The story of RE4 isn’t anywhere near as good as MGS3’s, but still entertaining. The dubbing is great and the cinematics are among MGS’s ranks (but the story isn’t anywhere near as good). The music is very good, movie-soundtrack sounding music.

MUSIC: 9 out of 10

I agree, you are wrong. So what's your point??? That I'm right?

Vark

My, my where to begin.

"The gameplay in NG is unbelievably well designed. Ryu (main character) has more moves than almost any fighting game I could name."

"NG is indeed a very hard game, but a very FUN hard! Every time I died it always felt fair and I never was angry for losing. This is because NG's difficulty is highly skill based. Anything and everything can be avoided; it’s up to the player to make the move. The gameplay is designed around the player's reflexes and fast decision making. People complain about the camera but it never got in my way of playing. The only change I would make is adding the ability to rotate the camera."

So, as a reader, this is what I've taken away from your review on Gameplay:

- Ryu has a lot of moves.
- Ninja Gaiden is hard but only if you suck at it.
- The camera didn't bother you, but apparently it did bother 'some people'. Maybe it'd be neat if you could rotate it.

Wow, what a treasure trove of gameplay knowledge.

What kind of moves does Ryu have? 'a lot' is pretty nebulous. Are they offensive? defensive? can you parry? how about reversal? aerial moves? super moves? is there any magic? can i switch fighting styles? Can I switch weapons? Is combat balanced?

Why is the game hard? You said it relies on a dexterious player. But does the save system have an impact? Do enemies respawn in an unfair way? Is health scarce? Do the levels not ramp up? Whats the learning curve like? If you suck at the start of the game does an average player have a chance to get better at it? Are there any tutorials to guide you? A detailed move list? etc, etc, etc.

What is the camera cumbersome even if you didn't feel it was. You said you can't rotate it, does that mean the player has no control? any control? is there a first person mode? Is there more than one camera style?

Furthermore:

Whats the point of the game? How does character advancement work? How does the story work? What's the level design like? Is it linear? Can you go anywhere at any time? Is it constrained at all? How does the save system work? For that matter what are the basic game mechanics? How complex is the control system? How intuitive is it? Could they have done anything to simplify it and make it more accessable?

Just because you used one or two sentences to describe how you felt a game played doesn't give ANY useful gameplay information to the reader on the actual mechanics.

I'd go into the RE4 stuff but the same issues apply.

It's like trying to tell someone what chess is like by saying:

"There are pieces, and sometimes they move"

There was sickening crunch heard as Leguna struck the pavement, his head bouncing off the curb. Crimson ribbons arced from his broken jaw and a pair of teeth, rudely dislodged by the impact, made a faint rattle as they danced into the gutter.

"mmmmmmph. noooooooo...." mumbled Leguna, his face a grisly masque of pain. "i talked about gaaaammmmeplay...."

"Sorry," said Vark, as he lifted a hobnailed jackboot over the other poster's supine form. "I don't even think you get what gameplay is."

"is this final judgment," Leguna breathed wetly.

"Yeah."

A pair of GAF Street passers-by turned their head when they heard the staccato crack of Leguna's pinhead exploding all over the busy thoroughfare, but the rest continued on, disinterested as usual, faces buried in their PSPs . In the distance the mad delight of a LyteEdge was heard, and a Nintendog yelped, kicked by a surly Drinky hobo.

Just another day in the GAF.

Lyte Edge

Very awesome and cool post, Drinky. The story was very cinematic. And cool. :D

Top Bottom