• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 Sales Discussion - Or why everyone should have bought this game

Sayah

This thread is a followup to the Namco Bandai sales thread.

The console sales for TTT2 have been okay/good but not great and that is a real shame for a game that offers so much content.

TTT2 was a big step away from all the greedy corporate practices many of us have become accustomed to.

The game offers all of the following:

1. The game offered new and revolutionary features that previous fighters have lacked. This includes:

a. the "Fight Lab": a game mode that doesn't just have the player go through a tutorial but also includes customization of moves for the Combot character. This sort of thing is unprecedented. Through Combot, players can utilize a wide variety of moves from all of the different game characters and combine them into one character. This leads to a moveset that is wholly unique to an individual player.

b. the "World Tekken Federation": a site dedicated for TTT2. This is a first for fighting games where an individual site loads data and statistics for every player across the world. Players can look at their win/loss ratios, create teams (here is our PSN gaf team), and browse a variety of other match statistics. This service is offered for free to all players.

c. Tekken Tunes: This is a feature in the game that sets new standards for fighters. Through this mode, players can change the background music of any stage or menu in the game to any mp3 file of their choice.

d. Online netcode: TTT2 is one of the few games that has achieved truly amazing netcode. The online community is active, it's easy to find matches, the matches most often run smoothly (on 4/5 level bars). Namco may have even become the first company to start banning online boosters and cheaters in fighting games.

2. TTT2 abandoned the precedent set by many previous fighters of including extravagant amounts of paid DLC. This included:

a. No paid characters: Every single character in the game is currently available to everyone everywhere.

b. Costumes: Despite a decrease in quality of character customization options, TTT2 regardless still offers better, diverse and (more importantly) free costumes in comparison to mostly all other fighters. Even the decrease in customization quality is justified due to the increased processing requirements for a tag-based fighter.

c. TTT2 offers over 28 stages (some of which are dual-layered). All of them also free. That is a number of stages far beyond what most fighters are able to reach.

The only paid content in the game is old ending movies and old music from previous Tekken titles (things which can easily be searched and found on youtube and are not at all essential components of the actual game).

3. TTT2 offered more content than any fighter this generation.

While Capcom and other companies (including Namco itself with SCV) were rushing fighters and releasing them without even the most basic features, TTT2 is the most complete fighter we've seen this gen.

a. All of the standard modes that should be expected in fighters (and unfortunately are not seen in most of them) are present in TTT2. Survival, Time Attack, Arcade, Team Battle, Tutorial mode, Ghost Battle, Practice, etc. Everything is there.

b. The character endings in TTT2 are the longest and some of them are the most hilarious the series (and fighters in general) have ever had. It's a complete step up from previous games. These endings aren't meant to represent any sort of story mode and rather are made further to individualize and give further life to every character.

Sample Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_EUQeH4-d8

c. Every single playable character in the series history (except for Gon) as well as some previously non-playable characters are included in the roster. That makes for one of the biggest rosters we have seen yet.

d. The music in this game, imo, goes far above what many other fighting game companies have done. The Tekken team brought back previous composers from TTT1 to make a very epic soundtrack. It's heavily focused on electronic music but offers great diversity in all sorts of genres. Soundtrack of the gen. for me personally.

Sample track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiuv7SziJc

d.. Misc: Features like Tekken Ball and Mushroom battle mode also exist exclusively on the Wii U (not present on PS3/360, however). Mini-games in fighters are also generally not too common. In addition, there are also the new features that I listed above in #1.

4. TTT2 is one of the most fulfilling and most rewarding games with an extraordinary amount of depth in its gameplay:

The gameplay allows a player to measure his/her strengths and weaknesses, test his/her reflexes, explore his/her creativity and so much more. Tekken is a heavily psychological game (more so than most other fighters). There are mind games, there is frustration, there is just........so much.

a. Tag assault, a new feature, is also very revolutionary for the series. It adds almost unlimited creativity with a wide assortment of combo-ing possibilities. It's not a just a "character assist" of some sort that is limited to one move per match. It is so much more than that.

b. The netsu metagame can also very much be considered a new feature in TTT2 (despite its presence in T6 and TTT1).

c. No other fighter (to my knowledge) has as many animations as Tekken. Characters have move lists that reach 100-150 moves average. This can be overwhelming at first but it is also wholly exciting because the game offers so many different tools and options to the player. It's entirely the players choice of what he wants to incorporate at whatever times during a match.

d. TTT2 is one of the best balanced fighters out now. No one is asking for a patch because it isn't needed and most initial gameplay concerns had already been promptly addressed in previous patches (i.e. Kuni ducking certain mids or Ogre infinite kicks).

e.. Spamming/button mashing is non-existent in this game (in contradiction to common beliefs about Tekken). Even someone with limited knowledge of Tekken will know how to counter act spam or button mashing. And if he/she doesn't, then there is the very feature-heavy practice mode to learn how to punish whatever moves are proving to be difficult during matchups. And if an individual is a victim of spam/button mashing, then he/she most definitely needs to learn the game (not an intended insult for anyone).

f. Beyond these features, there is the heavy emphasis on movement, the mid-high-low mind games, the spacing, the poking, the pressure. So many different factors in this game come together to make it wholly engrossing and exciting.

So despite all of this, why is a game like this not meeting sales expectations (this is a rhetorical question)? This is not just a quirky, niche title that should sell more. This is a game with extremely high production values. It's a game that goes above and beyond and, in many respects, epitomizes fanbase service.

If you need more info on the game, visit the OT.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490246

Adam Blue

Were the sales any worse than previous Tekken titles? Projections have been crazy this generation. Leading to so many closures and layoffs.

Game is great need to start playing again. I thought I was hot shit with my 99.9 percent ghost battle rating but lose 8 out of 10 fights online.

ogmaster

Banned
You know what happened? Mediocre reviews. You want to know why the reviews were mediocre? You had a bunch of reviewers that didn't know anything about fighting games reviewing it and saying it was too difficult.

Nope. Tired of the characters and tired of the same basic gameplay since Tekken 3. This isn't specific to tekken though, all 3-d fighters have been relatively stagnant compared to the evolution from sequel to sequel in the golden-age.

And spare me the "it's totally different! Kazuya's d/f+2 is safe versus the -2 frame disadvantage in the last game!"

ohlawd

Gonna pick this up someday and I don't like fighters at all.

Getting for that girl in that white schoolgirl outfit. She's got some nice knees. Asuka isn't bad either.

I've never given Tekken a chance... SF4 was pretty much my birth to fighting games and now I mostly play SF4:AE/Skullgirls(lol)

I might give it a chance

Korigama

I like Tekken, but Tekken doesn't like me. It's a franchise I play for fun, but not seriously enough to be competitive (same for 3D fighters in general, unlike how I approach 2D fighters such as KoF XIII and P4A).

Sayah

Nope. Tired of the characters and tired of the same basic gameplay since Tekken 3. This isn't specific to tekken though, all 3-d fighters have been relatively stagnant compared to the evolution from sequel to sequel in the golden-age.

And spare me the "it's totally different! Kazuya's d/f+2 is safe versus the -2 frame disadvantage in the last game!"

TTT2 plays very differently from every previous Tekken entry. You won't see heavy netsu metagames, tag crashes, tag assaults or even something simple like balcony breaks or 1 vs. 2 battles in any other Tekken.

You know what happened? Mediocre reviews. You want to know why the reviews were mediocre? You had a bunch of reviewers that didn't know anything about fighting games reviewing it and saying it was too difficult.

I do blame trashy reviews in many respects. IGN review being a good example here.

Were the sales any worse than previous Tekken titles? Projections have been crazy this generation. Leading to so many closures and layoffs.

Previous Tekken's usually reached 3 million. TTT2 is now at one and a half million.

Beth Cyra

I wanted to suppport TTT2, and honestly planned on picking it up.

Thing is, I was going to get it on Wii U for all the fun extras, but then I never bought a Wii U:(

web01

Should have brought back and improved the arcade beat em up mode from Tekken 5 it was fun even if kind of crappy.
I found fight lab less interesting than that though. They need something to keep non hardcore fighting fans happy.

LowParry

I think Tekken is need for a good'ol reboot. TTT2 is quite the amazing game but they need to step it up. Look at DOA5 for example. They really gave the game a fresh new look. I hope Namco can do the same with Tekken x Street Fighter. I think that game is going to be hot. And hopefully on next gen consoles.

sephi22

I can think of one reason why people didn't buy it.
Its Tekken.

I bought it before Day 1 (street date broken). I don't know why Tekken does not resonate with Americans

Xevren

I bought it, still learning things and having fun. Just so many fighters to play so sometimes it's not being played, but not forgotten. Really like playing as Jaycee though.

Slygmous

Anybody complaining about difficulty should give it another go, they patched the Easy Mode.

Phenomenal game, so close to perfection for a 3D fighter - and this is coming from somebody who started on VF2/Fighting Vipers, and I'd never touched a Tekken till 6.

The 1.5 million is shipped, right? I got the DDL version.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I triple dipped on this and bought it for each console release.

It's a great game that I can always turn to whether it's for the single player experience or playing VS with my friends. For sure has the best netcode to date for regional online VS play.

Got it as a christmas gift on the wii u

haven't played more than 20 minutes of it because I do not give a shit about tekken under any circumstance

its probably fine.

When Tekken was popular back on PS1, I don't think I read a single celebrity or musician bio that didn't mention Tekken. You think this game was popular because of the deeper systems and a cruddy mode that had to teach you how to play?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Anybody complaining about difficulty should give it another go, they patched the Easy Mode.
I am complaining about difficulty and "Easy Mode" has nothing to do with it. The system is way too complicated. I need more common denominators when a roster is that huge, and movement is batshit crazy

Exr

The gameplay is very different from past Tekkens...How much time did you put into TT2?

FlyFaster

List of good reasons to own the game

You bring up good points for why people should own the game

but

I don't like Tekken. That's why I didn't buy it. I have a feeling this applies to lots of people, considering the sales numbers. People just don't like Tekken that much and no amount of features is going to change that.

Arklite

Picked it up at release. Huge title, packed roster, precise netcode, lots of features. I'm terrible at fighting games so I knew the tag system would be over my head, but it's a fun game even for casual play.

You bring up good points for why people should own the game

but

I don't like Tekken. That's why I didn't buy it. I have a feeling this applies to lots of people, considering the sales numbers. People just don't like Tekken that much and no amount of features is going to change that.

I am complaining about difficulty and "Easy Mode" has nothing to do with it. The system is way too complicated. I need more common denominators when a roster is that huge, and movement is batshit crazy
What, you don't like jiggling around a joystick to play fancy foot games?

Nocturno999

I've been playing these series since Tekken 1 and loved TT2's features and play.
I still believe that the fighting system and cast needs a major overhaul.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
PS3 should have got the extra modes. That was my biggest complaint. No way was I ever going to get the Wii U version.

Squire

Banned
Should have brought back and improved the arcade beat em up mode from Tekken 5 it was fun even if kind of crappy.
I found fight lab less interesting than that though. They need something to keep non hardcore fighting fans happy.

Hardcore fans are the only reason these games are successful in the modern era. None of them aim to sell more then 3m units (if that), so the mainstream is hardly a concern.

That beat-em-up was so bad I was almost offended.

LowParry

The difficulty shouldn't be too big of an issue if you've been playing since maybe Tekken 5. But still, for new people it is a bit of a steep curve to learn. But once you figure it out, it's pure magic :) SO good.

Slygmous

I just played it like Virtua Fighter with extra buttons and a different block, it's quite similar. The silly training mode helped with some more advanced stuff.
I'll probably never play competitively, but it's fun and I'm at God status in the Ghost Mode at the moment.

I'll give you the roster complaints though, I just jumped around with different characters that looked cool until I found a few I could play decently. Being able to choose 2 at once makes this a little easier.

I own the Wii U version. I only play fighters casually and mechanics-wise I find the game hard to get into. I still have fun with it though. I throw it in every once and a while and do arcade mode. I do appreciate the amount to do in it though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I just played it like Virtua Fighter with extra buttons and a different block, it's quite similar. The silly training mode helped with some more advanced stuff.
I'll probably never play competitively, but it's fun and I'm at God status in the Ghost Mode at the moment.

I'll give you the roster complaints though, I just jumped around with different characters that looked cool until I found a few I could play decently. Being able to choose 2 at once makes this a little easier.
It looks cool as hell, way cooler than VF and the combo system is really fun. I wish getting to that launcher was less complicated.

I bought the game and it was great. First fighting game I bought since MK9. I think it helps that I'm actually pretty decent at Tekken, and can win a few games unlike pretty much every other fighter.

alstein

It's not just game reviewers. It's pretty much anyone who hasn't been a huge Tekken player over the past 2 gens.

Nearly everyone I know says VF5FS is a simpler game to get into. The hard execution stuff in VF, yeah it helps, but it isn't as necessary as it is in Tekken.

I did buy the game, I don't think it's bad, I just prefer VF, if FS didn't come out I'd probably be playing Tekken hard (I did play Tekken 6 a good bit, though playing pros at the game was mindnumbingly dull the couple of times I did it) I think this is also a factor in why the tourney numbers have dropped off- people head to the lower-hanging fruit, especially since the rewards are equal across games for most players.

I'm just afraid Namco will take the wrong lessons from TTT2's and SC5's not-success. (it isn't a failure, I'm sure it made money)- the problem with SC5 was the effort, the problem with TTT2 was simply that console gamers didn't have a desire for a hard fighting game in late 2012 when there were plenty of easier options, and the FGC wasn't hungering for a new game since most had the game they wanted already.

I think if TTT2 had been delayed 6 more months and released now, it might have done better since folks are getting hungry for a new game again.

I found it hard to get into. Not the games fault, 3d fighters and tag mechanics are just not my thing.

So here I an wondering if it is worth the time so I decided to go online and at least see if it was active in my region.

Online pass required. It was at this point I sold it and moved on. All the points in the OP like no Dlc characters are a big positive, but personally that pass was just a big negative for me. Had I done more research I wouldn't have purchased it at all.

TTT2 is awesome. I've never been big on Tekken or 3D fighters, but it really is a great game. In my time with the game I went from barely knowing how to properly punish, move, or do a basic wind god fist and now I've gotten much better with punishing, I can fluidly cancel wavedashes and back dashes, and I can consistently hit Electric Wind God Fists. It is an incredibly rewarding game if you give it time, one of the best fighters this gen easily. Great netcode too.

That being said, this game is not friendly to new players at all. I've played tons of matches with my friends and none of them even know how to do Tag Assaults and they play practically every other fighter in the world with me (with stuff ranging from JJBA to Marvel). It is not an easy game to pick up by any means. I consider myself fairly good at fighters and I got destroyed when I went online at first. Now that I know how to play more competently, my Heihachi/Jaycee team does pretty well for me. It took me like 50 hours of practice to get here, but it was worth it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great and everything but the mechanics scare me. I'll stick to 2D fighters for now.

LowParry

Looks great and everything but the mechanics scare me. I'll stick to 2D fighters for now.

Tekken is more...ehhh...2.5 ish in a way? It just doesn't feel like a 3D fighter to me. Soul Calibur and DOA5 feel more in line with that but Tekken to me feels like a 2D fighter.

Top Bottom