• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 Sales Discussion - Or why everyone should have bought this game

Tekken needs time off and a reboot. I was a huge fan and played it competitively for years but it's stale now. They haven't had a significant sequel since Tekken 5 in 2004, which in many ways went back on Tekken 4 changes. It's gotten old in both gameplay and aesthetics. Take Paul's CGI art for Tekken 5 and compare it to his CGI art from TTT2. Unless you're a hardcore fan and know you'd never be able to tell which game they're from. Literally the exact same look and art style.

Kientin

Never bought it and feel pretty bad about it. I love Tekken and really wanted to play it but my PS3 yellow lighted a couple weeks before it came out and I can't afford another one at the moment.

Ken

I bought it day 1 but I ended up not liking it for Tekken being Tekken, so it's no fault of the game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Not only did I buy this day 1, I made sure to preorder to get all the bonuses. And I just ordered the Wii U version, as I left my PS3 version back home. It's not because I want to "support the developers" per se, but the game was that good, imo.

AAK

Greatest thing it could have done to appeal to mainstream audiences was that it simply gave an INSANE amount of characters on RELEASE. So when you paid $59.99 for it, you got the complete game (except Tekken 1-6's soundtrack). At launch this game had more characters, more stages, more moves/character, best netcode (after skullgirls), and fantastic balance accross the cast of characters over any other fighting game in history (Well, KOF2002UM and MK:A had more characters). Nothing like P4A/KOF/BB making you pay for glasses customizations and colors and a massive far cry from the Capcom games DLC where they charge so much for a single character.

The fact that this customer friendly gesture wasn't enough sets an unfortunate precedence and I fear the last fight game bastion that didn't rape their customer's wallets has pretty much crumbled down.

And this is even before talking about the raw gameplay and tag mechanics they introduced in TTT2 which is so well done I struggle to think of ways it can be improved.

And for the people who were scared of the tag mechanics, Namco supplied a solo mode just for you guys.

OP ya really sold me on this game! Gonna head to Gamestop tomorrow morning. Thinking back, TTT on PS2 was one of my favorite gaming memories. Can't wait to play it!

Esura

Banned
Greatest thing it could have done to appeal to mainstream audiences was that it simply gave an INSANE amount of characters on RELEASE. So when you paid $59.99 for it, you got the complete game (except Tekken 1-6's soundtrack). At launch this game had more characters, more stages, more moves/character, best netcode (after skullgirls), and fantastic balance accross the cast of characters over any other fighting game in history (Well, KOF2002UM and MK:A had more characters). Nothing like P4A/KOF/BB making you pay for glasses customizations and colors and a massive far cry from the Capcom games DLC where they charge so much for a single character.

The fact that this customer friendly gesture wasn't enough sets an unfortunate precedence and I fear the last fight game bastion that didn't rape their customer's wallets has pretty much crumbled down.

And this is even before talking about the raw gameplay and tag mechanics they introduced in TTT2 which is so well done I struggle to think of ways it can be improved.

And for the people who were scared of the tag mechanics, Namco supplied a solo mode just for you guys.

All that don't mean a thing if those customers find the game hard to get into. That's the single consistent complaint I see about TTT2 that people seem to conveniently overlook. Doesn't help that you have other fighters out that are more approachable.

I can't get anyone I know to play it because of it.

Sayah

I found it hard to get into. Not the games fault, 3d fighters and tag mechanics are just not my thing.

So here I an wondering if it is worth the time so I decided to go online and at least see if it was active in my region.

Online pass required. It was at this point I sold it and moved on. All the points in the OP like no Dlc characters are a big positive, but personally that pass was just a big negative for me. Had I done more research I wouldn't have purchased it at all.

The online pass is on the back of the game manual if you bought the game new.

Unless you bought it used. You only have to buy an online pass if you buy it used.

Sgblues

I bought it day one because I always liked Tekken and knew Harada wanted to make a game the fans would love and appreciate.

I wished it could have done better sales wise but often this is the case for many games, you do your part but often other people don't, you can't fault them even if they have the same tastes in games as you do.

AAK

All that don't mean a thing if those customers find the game hard to get into. That's the single consistent complaint I see about TTT2 that people seem to conveniently overlook. Doesn't help that you have other fighters out that are more approachable.

I can't get anyone I know to play it because of it.

Namco did consider people like that. That's why they included solo mode that would even the playing field and give newer players a lot less things to worry about mid match.

DEATH™

Nope. Tired of the characters and tired of the same basic gameplay since Tekken 3. This isn't specific to tekken though, all 3-d fighters have been relatively stagnant compared to the evolution from sequel to sequel in the golden-age.

And spare me the "it's totally different! Kazuya's d/f+2 is safe versus the -2 frame disadvantage in the last game!"

It's totally different!

I like Tekken, but Tekken doesn't like me. It's a franchise I play for fun, but not seriously enough to be competitive (same for 3D fighters in general, unlike how I approach 2D fighters such as KoF XIII and P4A).

I thought the same way before... but...

tumblr_lrlbfyHlNY1r252gbo1_500.gif

I bought it. It's tough to recommend to other people though.

I recommended it on my classmate and now he's sold...

I was there day 1. It is easily my favourite fighting game of all time.

But even after 350 hours, I'm still not the very good at it. There's far too much to learn in this game if you want to be competitive online.

I disagree with those who say it's not approachable, though. Get 4 people for pair-play, do some Alisa head-bomb throws and Dr. B butt slides and everyone will be laughing and having a great time. I can't think of a more fun fighter to play casually (except Smash Bros :p)

pa22word

I was burned by both Namco and Capcom so many times by the time this game had come out that the fighting game renaissance was over for me, killed by the same people who started the movement in the first place.

I dunno if anyone else harbors the same feelings, but meh that's why I didn't get it.

Edit: and this is coming from someone who killed his first PS2 due to overplaying a certain blue disc game some of you may remember...

DEATH™

I disagree with those who say it's not approachable. Get 4 people for pair-play, do some Alisa head-bomb throws and Dr. B butt slides and everyone will be laughing and having a great time. It can't think of a more fun fighter to play casually.

I second this... Tekken is too fun to play casually... People recommend beer and Tekken together...

Sayah

I was burned by both Namco and Capcom so many times by the time this game had come out that the fighting game renaissance was over for me, killed by the same people who started the movement in the first place.

I dunno if anyone else harbors the same feelings, but meh that's why I didn't get it.

Edit: and this is coming from someone who killed his first PS2 due to overplaying a certain blue disc game some of you may remember...

Namco sort of burned people with Dragon Ball and One Piece games but I don't know if they did the same with their main 3D fighters. T6 had no paid DLC or super/ultimate editions. SCIV was fine too. SCV had excessive DLC so it's the only example I can think of. And of course, TTT2 was filled with free content and shaped up to be a great DLC model.

I was there day 1. It is easily my favourite fighting game of all time.

But even after 350 hours, I'm still not the very good at it. There's far too much to learn in this game if you want to be competitive online.

I disagree with those who say it's not approachable. Get 4 people for pair-play, do some Alisa head-bomb throws and Dr. B butt slides and everyone will be laughing and having a great time. It can't think of a more fun fighter to play casually.

I wish I could do some online practice with you but I can never host you in my lobbies for whatever reason.

After I get this firewall removed, we can practice and I will try to help with whatever I know. :)

bought this for Wii U, preordered too. game is way too complicated it was like getting another job, went online got stomped by law or jun players doing stuff i didn't know how to block or step, i want to play the game but the game doesn't want me to play it. DoA is much more fun for pressing buttons

Sayah

bought this for Wii U, preordered too. game is way too complicated it was like getting another job, went online got stomped by law or jun players doing stuff i didn't know how to block or step, i want to play the game but the game doesn't want me to play it. DoA is much more fun for pressing buttons

People tend to think Tekken is a button masher but it's really not. Unless you're doing casual fun matches, it's really really not a button masher.

And especially if you go online expecting to win with button mashing, it's most likely not going to happen.

You have to put a conscious effort towards learning the game. And it is very rewarding once you do start to understand the system and the mechanics.

braves01

Banned

I think people touch spam combos, which sucks to be up against unless you know how to counter it.

DEATH™

Buy this still... because Harada got BALLZZZZ

I know the Wii U version had a few graphical downgrades (though I guess some exclusive Nintendo-related extras to compensate), but how do the other versions compare to one another? Was there ever a PC version?

DEATH™

I know the Wii U version had a few graphical downgrades (though I guess some exclusive Nintendo-related extras to compensate), but how do the other versions compare to one another? Was there ever a PC version?

There isn't a PC release for Tekken (unfortunately)

But difference in console versions? Not that much I think, the differences are pretty minor...

People tend to think Tekken is a button masher but it's really not. Unless you're doing casual fun matches, it's really really not a button masher.

And especially if you go online expecting to win with button mashing, it's most likely not going to happen.

You have to put a conscious effort towards learning the game. And it is very rewarding once you do start to understand the system and the mechanics.

i did the fight lab, watched Rip's tutorials, and checked Tekken Zaibatsu. the flow of the game is too obtuse, even blocking is hard when characters like jun have non stop strings and there's no way to tell when a low is coming or what part can be stepped.

LowParry

i did the fight lab, watched Rip's tutorials, and checked Tekken Zaibatsu. the flow of the game is too obtuse, even blocking is hard when characters like jun have non stop strings and there's no way to tell when a low is coming or what part can be stepped.

Not true at all. If you're able to block one of Jun's strings, you most likely can punish.

Orbis

One of my Wii U launch titles. Nice they included all the extra content, but this game made reminded me why Tekken 3 on PS1 was the only previous non-Smash Bros fighting game I've owned. I just plain suck at the genre. Really nice game though and I enjoyed playing it.

Neff

I think OP is going overboard a bit, but it is a truly exceptional title, and definitely the most accomplished, balanced Tekken to date, and one of the best console releases of a fighter ever.

But no amount of user-friendly tutorials are enough to dissuade those intimidated by its thousands upon thousands of moves and razor-edge juggle-oriented play. Even fighter enthusiast friends of mine see combos that decimate half or more of your bar while you just float helplessly, and lose interest fast. It would be nice to recapture the casual market it once snared so effortlessly, but simplifying the game to make it more marketable would lose the franchise's core audience, which it absolutely cannot live without.

That's kind of the point of tenstrings. They're super-cheesy onslaughts that soak up round time while continually maintaining offense, the downside of which is that they all have at least two blockable/counterable weakpoints, which is where the user-controlled high/mid/low variables come in. You simply have to read your opponent, or be very, very fast.

I can think of one reason why people didn't buy it.
Its Tekken.

I bought it before Day 1 (street date broken). I don't know why Tekken does not resonate with Americans

3D fighters are dead to Americans now. I mean they got popular during the ps1 era but seem to have had too many iterations that don't bring about large evolving changes. Even MK went back to 2D after riding the 3D wave for a while. If anything the revival of 2D fighters brought about by SF4 probably cannibalized some of the 3D market.

CmdBash

Tekken only has a specific appeal to a specific fanbase, I felt that it doesn't do anything to appeal to newcomers of the genre. It isn't much fun to play if you don't dedicate enough time to it.
as a side note, I just wasn't feeling it with the juggle system.

Sayah

Doing that isn't enough. It's more so dependent on your own efforts. Getting advice and learning basic knowledge is great through fight lab, tutorials, etc. But the rest is all dependent on you.

If you're having trouble with certain strings, you can always ask us @ the Tekken OT.

Those Jun strings can be punished. Depending on which characters you are using, there are different things you can do.

DEATH™

I think OP is going overboard a bit, but it is a truly exceptional title, and definitely the most accomplished, balanced Tekken to date, and one of the best console releases of a fighter ever.

But no amount of user-friendly tutorials are enough to dissuade those intimidated by its thousands upon thousands of moves and razor-edge juggle-oriented play. Even fighter enthusiast friends of mine see combos that decimate half or more of your bar while you just float helplessly, and lose interest fast. It would be nice to recapture the casual market it once snared so effortlessly, but simplifying the game to make it more marketable would lose the franchise's core audience, which it absolutely cannot live without.

But then, it baffles me still when games like Marvel do something worse and people call it "hype"...

Not trying to bash but sometimes the double standard against Tekken is astounding to say the least...

DEATH™;57394460 said:
There isn't a PC release for Tekken (unfortunately)

But difference in console versions? Not that much I think, the differences are pretty minor...

If you own all the Tekken games ever made (and their associated consoles, PS1, PS2 and PSP), you can theoretically emulate every single one of them on the PC with varying degrees of success.

ePSXe = Tekken 1, 2 and 3

PCSX2 = Tekken Tag Tournament (still glitchy and slow speeds to this day), Tekken 4 and Tekken 5.

PPSSPP (as of the latest git revision, 0.7.6-507) = Tekken 5 DR and Tekken 6 (PSP)

Only two tekken games that haven't been emulated as of this post are the 360/PS3 versions of Tekken 6 and TTT2. For obvious reasons.

Not true at all. If you're able to block one of Jun's strings, you most likely can punish.

that is another problem not related to the game: the beginner tools are quite poor

you are telling me jun's string are unsafe, but i couldn't find a list of every characters 10f. at this point forget about max damage, just a list of guaranteed punishes for every char is hard to find. i was using T6 resources and just got tired of putting so much work to get blown up by capos/jun/laws.

I get what he's saying. The only way to know whether you should be stepping, ducking or interrupting a string is through trial and error. I do wish there was a more universal option for defence in Tekken so people couldn't take advantage so easily.

What a terrible, terrible "feature."

You're new to the series and having trouble learning a character's moves? Instead of giving you a mode that tells you the input and confirms when you've done it correctly like every single other 3D fighter, here's this thing where you can make a clusterfuck of a character.

I bought the game and put it down because of the awful training mode.

That mode is there to teach you how the mechanics work, not specific character training. If you want that, go into practice mode. You can display the movelist on screen and watch a playback if you want to see what it's supposed to look like.

a. the "Fight Lab": a game mode that doesn't just have the player go through a tutorial but also includes customization of moves for the Combot character. This sort of thing is unprecedented. Through Combot, players can utilize a wide variety of moves from all of the different game characters and combine them into one character. This leads to a moveset that is wholly unique to an individual player.

You're new to the series and having trouble learning a character's moves? Instead of giving you a mode that tells you the input and confirms when you've done it correctly like every single other 3D fighter, here's this thing where you can make a clusterfuck of a character.

DEATH™

It just teaches you the "basics" bro... And what you want is already included in the practice mode...

So yeah... no excuses :p

The online pass is on the back of the game manual if you bought the game new.

Unless you bought it used. You only have to buy an online pass if you buy it used.

That is right, I purchased it new and hence had a code. The problem was I was weighing up really getting into it or not (a fighter is no trivial investment of course) and this was a negative factor. It may sound cheap, but I hate dropping the resale value of my games just to try it out or play it online.

So I just sold it. I might be alone, but it is a practice that really bugs me and seemed at odds with all the pro consumer decisions they made.

Sayah

Completely disagree. It's a feature that can be great for messing around/exploring with movesets. It's a great option for allowing your creativity to run wild. It's not meant to be used in competitive play (for the most part) and thus the reason why Combot is not selectable in Ranked matches.

As far as the training mode goes, you couldn't be more than wrong. TTT2 has an amazing training mode especially since it is steps up from T6.

TTT2 offers you the option to display every single move in the command list on the screen and you can scroll through each move one at a time instead of having to pause the menu and go back and forth. And to confirm if you are doing the move correctly, you can ALWAYS view the demo which is just a button click away. I highly prefer this over the command training stuff I've seen in DoA5. With command training, you are starting with one move and have to go through all of them until you complete every single one. TTT2 allows you to select and choose whichever move you want to display on the main screen and go through the command list with much more ease.

That is right, I purchased it new and hence had a code. The problem was I was weighing up really getting into it or not (a fighter is no trivial investment of course) and this was a negative factor. It may sound cheap, but I hate dropping the resale value of my games just to try it out or play it online.

So I just sold it. I might be alone, but it is a practice that really bugs me and seemed at odds with all the pro consumer decisions they made.

I think that makes sense and I see where you're coming from.

I picked it up for $9.99 during the black friday sale on the microsoft store website. excellent game but I have yet to truly dive into it (UMVC3, Injustice, and SSF4AE are taking up my time).

I bought two copies but I stopped playing when I realized I was a terrible competitive player but it is a great game that needs more love. It and SCV.

DEATH™;57395328 said:
And what you want is already included in the practice mode...
No it's not.

TTT2 offers you the option to display every single move in the command list on the screen and you can scroll through each move one at a time instead of having to pause the menu and go back and forth. And to confirm if you are doing the move correctly, you can ALWAYS view the demo which is just a button click away.
Yeah, what a convoluted mess. No thanks. Just sit and gather dust Tekken.

Top Bottom