• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu PSP sucks, I wanna kill From Soft.

Mrbob

Wow, two Nintendo fans, Cooltrick and littlewig, come into a Tenchu PSP thread and troll 2 out of 3 posts. Good job!

Anyway, I'm hoping Tenchi no Mon gets cleaned up somewhat for NA release. I hear it is a little rough around the edges. But so was Dark Cloud when it was first released in Japan. Some things got cleaned up for release and we even got brand new 100 level dungeon (Which was tough!). :D

littlewig

Banned
Mrbob said:
Wow, two Nintendo fans, Cooltrick and littlewig, come into a Tenchu PSP thread and troll 2 out of 3 posts. Good job!

Anyway, I'm hoping Tenchi no Mon gets cleaned up somewhat for NA release. I hear it is a little rough around the edges. But so was Dark Cloud when it was first released in Japan. Some things got cleaned up for release and we even got brand new 100 level dungeon (Which was tough!). :D

BELIEVE!

CoolTrick

Banned

You have to admit what I said was true. I don't have a psp nor do I intend to own one, and I haven't played any tenchu games, so I have nothing against them. I'll be damned tho if Lightedge doesn't reccommend every other game for the PSP.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
CoolTrick said:
-Lightedge about every psp game released.

Yes, isn't it weird that I'd reccomend Tenchu for PSP to people that like Tenchu on PS2/Xbox? OMG I AM TEH BLIND FANBOI

I don't recommend every other game for PSP. You do troll every other thread tho.

Lyte Edge

CoolTrick said:
I have 155 posts. That's not possible. Go look at my post history.

I was just making a stupid generalized statement, based on absolutely nothing, like you did.

CoolTrick

Banned
:D

I recall you recommending several psp games that haven't been well received critically in their various threads while lurking. That's why I said that.

I was somewhat looking forward to this game after seeing the all-star team they seemed to have developing a couple of the levels. The 30/40 from Famitsu made me cautious but I guess I'll hold off on it and see if the DS version is any better. I doubt it would be but online play could be a big difference. Plus, jonnyram said they're hiring different developers for the DS version. They must have been disappointed in their past installments or something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CoolTrick said:
:D

I recall you recommending several psp games that haven't been well received critically in their various threads while lurking. That's why I said that.

He's not exactly wrong, though...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
CoolTrick said:
I don't have a psp nor do I intend to own one, and I haven't played any tenchu games, so I have nothing against them. I'll be damned tho if Lightedge doesn't reccommend every other game for the PSP.
So...
- You don't have interest in PSP
- You don't have any interest in Tenchu

But still want desperately to undermine the merit of Lyte Edge's impressions. At least you're unabashedly truthful about your trolling.

Flo_Evans

Mrbob said:
Lets get back to Tenchu PSP! Can you post some more screenshots Lyte Edge!

I 2nd this motion!

oh and I am not sure what kind of camera you are using, but if you are going to get it that close to the PSP try putting it in 'macro' mode. Otherwise move back a bit and crop the photo^^

CoolTrick

Banned
But still want desperately to undermine the merit of Lyte Edge's impressions.

There is no point in doing so because I am not looking to be sold on the game. I was just making a casual observation. There is no reason to get so defensive.

JavyOO7

CoolTrick said:
I'll be damned tho if Lightedge doesn't reccommend every other game for the PSP.

Does it really fucking matter?

Wow, who gives a shit. He likes a game so he recommends it to people who have a PSP. Whoop-de-doo!

Ponn

Banned
CoolTrick said:
There is no point in doing so because I am not looking to be sold on the game. I was just making a casual observation. There is no reason to get so defensive.

If you don't own a PSP and never played Tenchu why are you still in this thread and how could you possibly make a statement on anyone else's opinion especially when that person has a PSP and has played not only the PSP tenchu but all the other ones?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
how dare people recommend a game on system X for people who own system X. we should also get rid of all reviews and impressions threads immediately, except for threads that are negative

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sure thing, CoolTrick - you just happened to pop into a thread about a game you have no interest in on a platform you have no interest just to make a "casual observation" about a forum member that's presumably based on having observed the comments of that member in multiple threads related to the platform you claim no interest in. Yes, it's all very casual.

Ponn

Banned
CoolTrick said:
The title invites curious people in to see what has caused dear Bebpo to say he wants to kill From Soft.

Yes, and try to undermine someone else's opinion with an off base remark. You attempted your deed and got caught, just drop it and let the thread go in it's peaceful way. Oh and yea...

CoolTrick said:
It's interesting that the most childish of behaviors comes from these Sony fans.

Pot meet Kettle.....

CoolTrick

Banned
What is so impossible about that? Bebpo made a captivating title and I was curious. It is crystal clearly understandable that GAF makes you think that everyone is a troll, but I was curious. I regret saying anything. I apologize.

CoolTrick said:
What is so impossible about that? Bebpo made a captivating title and I was curious. It is crystal clearly understandable that GAF makes you think that everyone is a troll, but I was curious. I regret saying anything. I apologize.

Uh huh, right. I bet you read the title was "Tenchu PSP sucks, I wanna kill From Soft." and then thought "Hmmm...I too think the PSP sucks, like the Nintenbrat I am. I shall go in and troll." Don't deny it.

CoolTrick

Banned
That is out of context. I put that in the thread where Chinese psp fans invaded an nds party in China. I thought it was childish. Nothing to do with anyone on this board.

I am not going to further justify myself. I have said my piece, you all jumped on me. I apoligised. If you wish to thnk I am a troll go ahead as I cannot do anything more to convince you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CoolTrick said:
That is out of context. I put that in the thread where Chinese psp fans invaded an nds party in China. I thought it was childish. Nothing to do with anyone on this board.
Ha ha, my mistake.

Those childish games are as you say, but that doesn't mean they don't entertain. I remember when Sega crashed the Sony golf outing back in 99. Unfortunately, Burnie Stolar was fired/left Sega the very next day (not that they were related...).

A little fun never hurt anyone and everyone seems to take part in something similar at one time or another. Actions of the sort are exclusive to no group.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
CoolTrick said:
What is so impossible about that? Bebpo made a captivating title and I was curious.
Because the comment you chose to make would require that you've been visiting PSP threads regularly to claim that all of Lyte Edge's PSP game impressions follow the same pattern. So it's more than a little unlikely that it was only the captivating title that got you in here since your own comments about Lyte make it clear you've been visiting other PSP threads for one reason or another.

I regret saying anything. I apologize.
Works for me - accepted.

CoolTrick said:

I am not going to further justify myself. I have said my piece, you all jumped on me. I apoligised. If you wish to thnk I am a troll go ahead as I cannot do anything more to convince you.

What does psp fans invading some NDS party have to do with this thread? You came in and trolled a person for recommending a PSP game. That is like trolling a perosn for recommending a NDS game for people interested in the NDS. I myself I am interested in the tenchu game for psps.

Lyte Edge have you played the other tenchu games,and how would you rank the PSP version with the other Tenchu games?

CoolTrick

Banned
Because the comment you chose to make would require that you've been visiting PSP threads regularly to claim that all of Lyte Edge's PSP game impressions follow the same pattern.

I visit most threads and so do most people on this board. The only threads I am most likely avoid completely are Xbox threads.

What does psp fans invading some NDS party have to do with this thread?

Someone took something I said from that thread here to make it look like I was attacking Sony fans on this board. I had to clarify. :)

CoolTrick

Banned
No I should have known better. This is GAF. Everyone wants to jump down a person's throat for anything if you give them a reason to.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
littlewig said:
Man, the PSP people ruined another thread once again by overreacting to someone's post. You guys are so immature.

You make ThongyDonk and SantaCruzr bearable. Congratulations.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
littlewig said:
It's nice to see I have fans.

Seriously, every one of your posts is either a little one sentence jab at Sony or Microsoft or a praise for Nintendo. Then, you pepper them with lol smileys as if what you're saying is in any way humorous. Just go away.

Ponn

Banned
CoolTrick said:
No I should have known better. This is GAF. Everyone wants to jump down a person's throat for anything if you give them a reason to.

You know what, I will give you the benefit of the doubt but please finish your thought pattern with your original post. What exactly were you trying to get at by saying Lyte Edge always recommends PSP games to those that like certain related series?

CoolTrick

Banned
There was no deep meaning behind it. I just noticed Lyteedge seems to often recommend games that have been critically panned or not well received. So when there was another thread saying a game sucked like this one, I found it funny that here Lyteedge was again recommending it. Just an observation. The whole thing got blown out of proportion but I understand why so I will not make the mistake again.

Mrbob

TEEEEEEEENNNNNNNCCCCCHHHHHHUUUUUUU talk pleeeeeeeaaaaaase thx. :D Lyte you must post back with thoughts and impressions when you get further! Bebpo too!

Lyte Edge

sonic4ever said:
Lyte Edge have you played the other tenchu games,and how would you rank the PSP version with the other Tenchu games?

Yes, I've played all the other Tenchu games, although I never did play all the way through Return from Darkness and still have to beat Fatal Shadows. It's a bit early for me to really gauge where the PSP Tenchu fits in with the rest; really need to play more with all four starting characters, and also check out the level editor first. However, with 33 playable characters and such an awesome level editor, I can already tell this one's going to rank prettu high on my Tenchu list...maybe in the second or third place spot behind Fatal Shadows and/or the original game. The level editor may bump it up even higher; I spent hours with the level editors in Tenchu Shinobi Gaisen and Tenchu 2.

Mrbob said:
TEEEEEEEENNNNNNNCCCCCHHHHHHUUUUUUU talk pleeeeeeeaaaaaase thx. :D Lyte you must post back with thoughts and impressions when you get further! Bebpo too!

Sorry man, I've been at work since earlier this afternoon and haven't had a chance to play it any further since this morning, plus I got Twinkle Star Sprites on PS2 and Outlaw Tennis today as well. No time! :) I'll play more tonight and see if I can take some more screenshots too. I'll definitely be writing up some impressions when I feel I've played enough and also explored the HUGE level editor; tomorrow is my last day of work and I'll have plenty of free time until I leave for Japan a few weeks from now.

Bebpo

Banned
On the ground:
tenchu1.jpg

On a roof looking at the ground:
tenchu2.jpg

On a roof looking forward:
tenchu4.jpg

On a little wall thingy:
tenchu3.jpg

Though I guess I was over-reacting slightly. The game itself with tons of levels, modes, characters, and the ability to create and download news levels is pretty fun. But the draw distance does SUCK and I wish they had made a different sacrifice (like low-poly characters) to get it running on PSP. Oh and those PS1 Tenchu screens do indeed have pretty bad draw distance, it's hard to believe I was enjoying stuff like that with no complaints 10 years ago.

Lyte Edge

Bebpo, I could take some screens from rooftops where you can see the ground and all that. :) I take it that building is pretty large?

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Bebpo, I could take some screens from rooftops where you can see the ground and all that. :) I take it that building is pretty large?

Yeah, it's the first level of that guy. I'm guessing each story character has their own set of levels? Maybe that's why we have different comments on the distance. Maybe the forest level is a lot more bearable, but as a first level this rooftop building level was pretty annoying.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I had more fun with Tenchu 3 than any gamer probably should be allowed, but those screens....wow.

How was Fatal Shadows anyway Lyte?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
isnt this game suppose to be stealthy? how the hell can you be stealthy if the draw distance is that bad?

note i have never played a tenchu game before (maybe a little of part 2 but i dont think i liked it)

Lyte Edge

Wario, the draw in is like the PSX games (maybe a little better), and using stealth in those was no problem. You have a meter on the screen that gets higher in number when an enemy is approaching, plus you can hear their footsteps, talking, etc., and there's always obvious spots to hide, be it on a rooftop or against a wall. Tenchu 2 is the worst in the series, BTW, so that's not a good game to base impressions on. The Tenchu games released after it also had a brand new developers behind it. The old developer went on to make the Way of The Samurai games and is now working on their own new ninja game.

If you want a good idea of how Tenchu Shinobi Taizen plays, try playing Fatal Shadows on PS2 first.

Also Tenchu has both indoor and outdoor levels, and I have a feeling the indoor levels aren't going to have that much draw-in. I notice that the back of the box has screenshots from indoor levels only, probably for good reason!

Brandon F said:
I had more fun with Tenchu 3 than any gamer probably should be allowed, but those screens....wow.

It's all fine, trust me. I doubt it would have gotten that high a score in Famitsu (what was it...30/40?) if it were unplayable, and the game is far from it. This game is only going to get better for me once I really get a chance to start playing it, especially with so many characters to play as. You start out with all the characters from Tenchu 3 and Fatal Shadows playable (Rikimaru, Ayame, Tesshomaru, and Rin), BTW. Each has his/her own opening FMV and different starting levels. No idea how many levels the game has and if all the characters play on the same levels. Of course with the level editor, the game is going to really last for quite some time.

How was Fatal Shadows anyway Lyte?

If you liked Tenchu 3, then the question I have for you is WHY didn't you pick up Fatal Shadows immediately when it came out?? :) It's got better A.I. and better level design compared to Tenchu 3, plus some really cool abilities to unlock. Rikimaru is not in the game, though. It's just Ayame and newcomer Rin, who uses striking/grappling attacks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, all the bad press was sorta turn off, plus it released during a pretty crowded month as I recall? March was it?

I'll probably snag it soon then.

Top Bottom