• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas in ice age now? -7 celsius in Huston? What?

Karmic Raze

I know that it's very unusual weather for Texas, but the fact that the piping isn't installed with isolation and that some people have to deal without electricity is still mindblowing. Hopefully some changes and some investements into infrastructure will be made, because if it happened once it'll happen again.
I always install my pipes with isolation.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
It’s 1F here in Dallas. I’ve fortunately never lost power but a lot of my coworkers don’t have power and haven’t for a while. I’m working from home due to the pandemic. Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

raduque

It's 13f in Midland/Odessa. No more snow coming down, but it's not going to go above freezing til Friday. My job has been without power since Sunday afternoon and my gf's job has no water due to the pipes freezing.

I imagine most restaurants are in that boat.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The mistake was labelling it "global warming" when "climate change" is more apt.

The changes will result in more weather extremes at both ends of the spectrum. This is happening as a result of both our activity on the planet and the changes in the solar system as the galaxy continues to shift.

Anybody interested in this topic should look up pole reversal theory.

Worst bit of PR in human history, that one. Choose absolutely the worst possible, misleading term that confuses the shit out of people. Fairly convinced that one thing has set the environmental agenda back years.

200.gif

Worst bit of PR in human history, that one. Choose absolutely the worst possible, misleading term that confuses the shit out of people. Fairly convinced that one thing has set the environmental agenda back years.
Definitely should’ve gone with the most ambiguous term possible. That way there would not be any standard to hold us to and we could blame literally every single weather event on human beings.

Last edited:

QSD

Cold as hell in netherlands, we haven't had this in a long time.

It certainly hasn't been this cold in hell for a long time 😉, maybe since the Eagles reunion...

Other than that, I'm glad the thaw is here now, my ride to work yesterday was pretty hair raising

O-N-E

I personally will not be taking any precautions with this snow. It's more important to drive full speed down the road to keep this economy open and anything else would be restricting my rights as a patriotic American. No I will not wear a coat to prevent hypothermia and I most certainly will not turn my heat on because I am manly and I was born with an immune system and hair on my body. People die in car wrecks every day. Freedom! /!!!! A thin piece of cloth restricts my skins ability to breathe. Say it with me now, I can't breathe , I can't breath. Not in that pussy George Floyd way though, but in a I'm very sensitive to cloth way.
/s

I_D

All my outdoor faucets are frozen. I tried wrapping them, dripping them, but when it hit 8 degrees F here in Austin, nothing could stop the freeze. I hope the pipes survive. My brother in Dallas has spent the majority of the day without power.

Pipes bursting under your house will be a significantly worse issue than cold weather.

You can insulate them yourself very easily.

McHuj

Pipes bursting under your house will be a significantly worse issue than cold weather.

You can insulate them yourself very easily.

Unfortunately, I can't. No basements and the house sits on a concrete slab foundation. The plumbing comes in from the ground through the slab and into the house.

Arkam

There shouldn't be a shortage of propane in Texas...
"That's a clean burnin' hell, I tell you h'what ha ha ha"
king of the hill GIF
As funny as it might seem, we rely heavily on Wind energy. Like ~20%... and its frozen over. Our main source is Natural Gas, but no clue how that is fairing during this weather.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
As funny as it might seem, we rely heavily on Wind energy. Like ~20%... and its frozen over. Our main source is Natural Gas, but no clue how that is fairing during this weather.
It's not fairing very well from what I'm reading. I'm in Mexico and the gas problems will result in heavy outtages in lower States. From what I last read - over 400,000 Mexican's in the Northern part of the country (especially those bordering Texas) have already or are still experiencing outtages. I'm not quite sure why they're going to cut power as far South as I am in Mexico (3 or 4 States below the border) but Mexico's electricity is a monopoly (CFE) and likely has some big ties to those gas companies.

It's not fairing very well from what I'm reading. I'm in Mexico and the gas problems will result in heavy outtages in lower States. From what I last read - over 400,000 Mexican's in the Northern part of the country (especially those bordering Texas) have already or are still experiencing outtages. I'm not quite sure why they're going to cut power as far South as I am in Mexico (3 or 4 States below the border) but Mexico's electricity is a monopoly (CFE) and likely has some big ties to those gas companies.
The gas power plants often times relied on the grid to heat water required to make them run. As the wind power failed, it overloaded the grid which failed, causing the gas power plants to fail as well.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The gas power plants often times relied on the grind to heat water required to make them run. As the wind power failed, it overloaded the grid which failed, causing the gas power plants to fail as well.
Prayers out to you guys in Texas. CFE is about as corrupt as monopolies come and immediately tried blaming the Northeastern Mexican outages on Texas gas companies. It wouldn't surprise me if CFE are business buddies with a large power company in San Antonio. It would have seemed more logical for Mexico to blame it on the weather in Juarez. I hope things get back on soon. I grew up on a farm in Illinois and Winter 2015/16 slammed my entire county with a severe ice storm. The outages lasted for nearly 4-days and I ended up staying the night in my then job's office as they had a generator and heat was off to the point of freezing on the homestead. Sucks not having power...even for a couple hours.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I personally will not be taking any precautions with this snow. It's more important to drive full speed down the road to keep this economy open and anything else would be restricting my rights as a patriotic American. No I will not wear a coat to prevent hypothermia and I most certainly will not turn my heat on because I am manly and I was born with an immune system and hair on my body. People die in car wrecks every day. Freedom! /!!!! A thin piece of cloth restricts my skins ability to breathe. Say it with me now, I can't breathe , I can't breath. Not in that pussy George Floyd way though, but in a I'm very sensitive to cloth way.
/s
I hope a car fucking hits you.

Melubas

Yeah we had between -10 and -15 for a few days here in southern Sweden last week. Usually don't get down to those kind of temperatures down here, and it feels colder due to the coastal winds blowing in all the time. It was like "go out and immediately get massive headache", so I was holed up inside for many many days. What are the usual temps like in Texas this time of year? I always thought it was warm all year but I might just be an ignorant swede.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Definitely should’ve gone with the most ambiguous term possible. That way there would not be any standard to hold us to and we could blame literally every single weather event on human beings.

Whats ambiguous about ‘climate change’? The climate’s changing due to man made influence. Simples.

...anyway, frozen bath water? What are you Texans making your houses out of? Cardboard?

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Whats ambiguous about ‘climate change’? The climate’s changing due to man made influence. Simples.

...anyway, frozen bath water? What are you Texans making your houses out of? Cardboard?
Apparently they never felt the need to insulate.

I feel for all those people who will likely experience burst pipes and extensive property damage because of this.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
In central texas near Austin.....our power has been going on and off every hour or so the last day or so. Our town now also has no water either. What a complete clusterfuck at every level.

People need to lose their jobs over this. The area gets crazy cold weather like this once every 10 years. The last time was 2011, just like clockworth. 100% unacceptable for the utility companies to be so incredibly unprepared.

Last edited:

Composer

In Dallas, without power for 48 hrs now and just recently without water. My parents in Austin are really old and have no water or power. We got them over to a shelter yesterday.

Kev Kev

/s
this post is shit

who are these imaginary people you’re mocking? some random country bumpkin pos in the middle of nowhere? you and a negligible handful other people are the only ones saying any of this. stfu

GAMETA

Banned
I've never seen snow in real life. I've experienced down to -10 C/14 F here (Brazil), but there's never snow.

Fucking sucks (or not, I've heard it's a pain in the ass... I'd like to see it one day though)

Last edited:

raduque

this post is shit

who are these imaginary people you’re mocking? some random country bumpkin pos in the middle of nowhere? you and a negligible handful other people are the only ones saying any of this. stfu
They're mocking anti maskers.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Snowing again in Memphis. Haven't left the house since Sunday except brief walks around neighborhood. I will never complain about 100 degree days in late September again.

No power issues thankfully. Feel bad for you guys huddled in the cold dark.

Top Bottom