• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas in ice age now? -7 celsius in Huston? What?

Raven117

Yeah, power out is one thing, now we are under no water/boil water notice.

Also, the patience of people is starting to wane....Things are starting to get weird out there.

Ive had no power and no water now for 24 hours. (Had it over the super cold night in houston, so can't complain).

But yeah, be careful out there Texans....not just cold, but be aware of people and how they are doing mentally. We are at that stage of this.

Raven117

Imagine being so trigg’d by that issue that you mock a perceived enemy for being in an immediate dangerous situation.

Such unity. Much healing. Definitely not evil at all. /s
Meh, they are just sad and pathetic individuals. Pay them no mind at all.

raduque

Imagine being so trigg’d by that issue that you mock a perceived enemy for being in an immediate dangerous situation.

Such unity. Much healing. Definitely not evil at all. /s
Party of Love and Tolerance ... unless you have a different opinion or way of thinking, then you need to die.

So like people in Texas do not have heating in their homes or what?

No, we have too much heating - so much that we overloaded the grid.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
No, we have too much heating - so much that we overloaded the grid.

Exactly - some years in Memphis we've had mild winters where I can count on two hands how many times I have used the central heating system at my house at all. The vast majority of Texas is south of our latitude. The average Feb. temp in Houston is almost 60 degrees.

Liljagare

Texas has been told for years and years to prepare the electrical system for bad winters. Gas drilheads will freeze in subzero temps unless they are heated, gas wells will freeze, well not the gas but the water. Crude becomes stiff. This is not the first time, and it won't be the last time, but the state has done NOTHING since the last time it happened.

Why aren't people reacting? :eek:

Being stuck in the cold, in a region that is not used to it, is horrible, and deadly, as we are seeing.

How many traffic accidents happened?

belmarduk

FB_IMG_1613582032791.jpg

trikster40

I live in Houston, just got my power back on today about 3Pm. Been off since midnight Sunday. First day was fun, then the kids odd died. And power didn’t come back. Day 2 - cold AF.

n0razi

I want to see the Wisconsin guy in 110 degree heat at 99% humidity.... Texas is rough lately because you literally have 0 degrees one day and 100 degrees the next

Are the houses built out of straw there? No wonder their dirt cheap.

This was a once in a 3 decades event.... its like making fun of people up North for not having adequate A/C when they have a freak 100-120 degree heat wave.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I've never seen snow in real life. I've experienced down to -10 C/14 F here (Brazil), but there's never snow.

Fucking sucks (or not, I've heard it's a pain in the ass... I'd like to see it one day though)
I love snow for half the year besides having to drive in it.

Batiman

Banned
I want to see the Wisconsin guy in 110 degree heat at 99% humidity.... Texas is rough lately because you literally have 0 degrees one day and 100 degrees the next

This was a once in a 3 decades event.... its like making fun of people up North for not having adequate A/C when they have a freak 100-120 degree heat wave.
Not making fun. Sorry if you took it that way.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Thats childs play, where I am for two weeks it was -50C with windchill. I could wear shorts in that -23 weather
A light dusting of snow is chaos in the UK. We panic over here.

Scared Fear GIF by South Park

TransTrender

Gold Member
I surely must have missed the joke of making fun of people dying. How low can you get?
Nah, totally didn't read it that way. It was a pretty funny social commentary post with a bit of script flipping. It's not meant to be serious. No actual people or cars were harmed in the process of making that post.

However, the situation in Texas is not a laughing matter because it is indeed deadly serious. I don't agree with the people here making light of the cold because it's a complete infrastructure failure.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I see that the infrastructure has completely broken down in Texas with nearly a quarter of the population without power for over 3 days now. This is absurd. We are a first world country and Texas is one of the richest states in the U.S. This simply shouldnt be happening.

Rural areas I can understand, but apparently this is affecting urban areas as well. They rely a lot on natural gas to power electricity and apparently thats where the so-called bottleneck is.

We need to heavily invest in the infrastructure in this country. It seems like we have no backup whatsoever. how are people supposed to survive sub zero degree temperatures without power?

Vestal

Gold Member
Texas has been told for years and years to prepare the electrical system for bad winters. Gas drilheads will freeze in subzero temps unless they are heated, gas wells will freeze, well not the gas but the water. Crude becomes stiff. This is not the first time, and it won't be the last time, but the state has done NOTHING since the last time it happened.

Being stuck in the cold, in a region that is not used to it, is horrible, and deadly, as we are seeing.

From a cost perspective the private companies don't see anything to gain from spending money on it. They are not going to lose money, just look at whats happening right now. The public is now on the hook for the lack of preparations of these companies. They have pretty binding contracts with that state which I am sure doesn't include any of this.

I am not saying that these companies acted in bath faith. Private business does the most cost effective method within whats deemed legal with the state.

OnionSnake

Banned
From a cost perspective the private companies don't see anything to gain from spending money on it. They are not going to lose money, just look at whats happening right now. The public is now on the hook for the lack of preparations of these companies. They have pretty binding contracts with that state which I am sure doesn't include any of this.

I am not saying that these companies acted in bath faith. Private business does the most cost effective method within whats deemed legal with the state.
You can’t even sue the power companies for this I read, the governor or ERCOT removed the ability? Shits insane.

Snowing again here in San Antonio hopefully the electricity doesn’t shut off had to call in from work not going to Walmart in this weather.

Raven117

Wisconsin folk are literally driving to Texas to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt and tell you about how cold it is back home, be prepared.
And they would melt to the pavement in the 100s.

Its all about what you are prepared for in the range of conditions. Prolonged sub-zero temps, especially in the Dallas, Austin, Houston area is not normal. Especially not at 10 degrees. And yeah, if the power/heating went out in Wisconsin in their home (and no fireplace),then they would be beetching about it as well.

Also, its ice here, not snow.

To say stuff like this is silly and unhelpful.

And they would melt to the pavement in the 100s.

Its all about what you are prepared for in the range of conditions. Prolonged sub-zero temps, especially in the Dallas, Austin, Houston area is not normal. Especially not at 10 degrees. And yeah, if the power/heating went out in Wisconsin in their home (and no fireplace),then they would be beetching about it as well.

Also, its ice here, not snow.

To say stuff like this is silly and unhelpful.

Just making a joke about people from Wisconsin, calm down. Literally none of the posts in this thread are actually "helpful".

Also, I didn't say it was snowing there.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Last edited:

raduque

It's stopped snowing here, thought it was supposed to drop another 2 inches. Temps are trending back upward, it'll be in the 40s tomorrow and the 50s this weekend. Power generation is coming back online, ERCOT website shows demand at around 50,000 MW with almost 7000 MW reserve capacity.

Bridges

Back with power, but the pipes burst and the house flooded. Luckily most of my stuff is fine, but it's gonna be awhile before anyone can make it out to get water in the house again.

I feel lucky I've had a place to go to with heat and power, lots of people have had nowhere to go once everything went down. Hopefully things should be getting back to normal after this week.

Batiman

Banned

Sad to see. I’m in Canada and used to these conditions and the cold, but having your power out is another thing. We had an ice storm about 7 years ago in Toronto where power lines were blowing up and I had to do 2 weeks of no power during Christmas time. It was fucking horrible. No amount of layers could warm you up. I had like 4 pairs of pants, 3 socks, jackets, sweaters etc. Still fucking freezing. They slowly got all the power back in the city and my street was like the last to get it due to a late transformer and explosion. I at least had hot water and would play my sons 3DS in my washroom with the tub boiling. The only time in my life I was happy to go to work lol and I work in a fridge....

I sent my wife and son to stay with her parents while I still refused to leave my house. They took it as an insult lol. Shit was not fun. Pretty sure it came back in Christmas morning which was like the greatest gift ever.

OnionSnake

Banned
Sad to see. I’m in Canada and used to these conditions and the cold, but having your power out is another thing. We had an ice storm about 7 years ago in Toronto where power lines were blowing up and I had to do 2 weeks of no power during Christmas time. It was fucking horrible. No amount of layers could warm you up. I had like 4 pairs of pants, 3 socks, jackets, sweaters etc. Still fucking freezing. They slowly got all the power back in the city and my street was like the last to get it due to a late transformer and explosion. I at least had hot water and would play my sons 3DS in my washroom with the tub boiling. The only time in my life I was happy to go to work lol and I work in a fridge....

I sent my wife and son to stay with her parents while I still refused to leave my house. They took it as an insult lol. Shit was not fun. Pretty sure it came back in Christmas morning which was like the greatest gift ever.
Glad you and your family made it out of that man. These are truly terrible times and should be an eye opener going forward for Texas' energy grid.

Top Bottom