• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The 10 Most Overrated Films of All Time'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging or dismissing movies based on a single viewing is exponentially more absurd, any way you slice it, considering that people can change their mindset or mood over time, or that a film could actually be designed with multiple viewings in mind, etc.

Truly a stupefying and narrowminded idea.

It's how movie critics have been reviewing movies for decades. Are you saying they're all somehow narrowminded and absurd? I mean, do you believe that movie critics go back and rewatch a film multiple times before composing their reviews?

genjiZERO

Define pacing, please? I found all four acts thoroughly engaging and hypnotizing, from beginning to end. The tone of the movie was consistent throughout and it remained faithful to its theme to the very end.

I think a lot of people have a hard time with stories with more than three acts. They've become so accustomed to it (everything is a bleeding trilogy) that other format types seem strange or too long.

But 2001 is a brilliant piece of art. In fact, I think it should be judged as such and not simply as a film. You don't watch 2001 to simply watch a movie. You watch it because you want to experience and analyze art.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The Departed...?

dc_the_departed.jpg

Blader

Easily one of the worst lists I've ever seen, and that's saying something given the internet's penchant for incredibly shitty list-making. What a fucking random selection of choices, many of which aren't even overrated enough to merit a mention. When was the last time you met someone talking up The Double Life of Veronique over dinner?

And all of their suggestions are worse alternatives. Jesus, what a dumb article.

Judging or dismissing movies based on a single viewing is exponentially more absurd, any way you slice it, considering that people can change their mindset or mood over time, or that a film could actually be designed with multiple viewings in mind, etc.

Truly a stupefying and narrowminded idea.

Somehow I am skeptical of this claim. I'm not sure I believe you hold ultimate answer to the eternal question of "How to watch a movie the right way?" Just a hunch.

I think you are really overthinking it dude.
I was just saying I am not for telling people in forums to go and rewatch until they come back with an oppinion I approve of, even if I too disagree with them.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really don't get the people saying Shawshank. Great story well told.

It also took time to be appreciated, it wasn't like Avatar.

Nafai1123

Banned
I generally agree with some of those, but The Departed being on there is so wrong.

Movies I think are overrated
Chicago
Moulin Rouge
American Hustle
Sideways

Easily one of the worst lists I've ever seen, and that's saying something given the internet's penchant for incredibly shitty list-making. What a fucking random selection of choices, many of which aren't even overrated enough to merit a mention. When was the last time you met someone talking up The Double Life of Veronique over dinner?

And all of their suggestions are worse alternatives. Jesus, what a dumb article.

Seriously. lol

dorkimoe

i really dont agree with any of those. because i dont consider any of those overrated.

I would have said stuff like argo, or any movie that won best picture the last like 5 years..

I would have added
every cohen brother movie ever

Skunkers

SkyFall is such a mediocre Bond film saved by great cinematography.

I really enjoyed Skyfall; but for me, the cinematography was almost a weak point. I feel like that "The only bad thing about Gears 2 is it's almost too good" guy, but the cinematography is so good in that film I actually find it distracting. I can't decide to myself if that's a legitimate criticism, as it sounds stupid on it's face; but, the cinematography does bother me, and it's not because it's bad.

With the Departed, if it was just a kooky thriller action movie, I think I'd really like it. But people built that up like it was the second[third] coming of the Godfather... it's hard to see the rather decent movie that's there underneath all that super over hype.
I mean, they gave it the fricken oscar... 4 frickin times! That movie that plays "I'm shipping up to Boston" about 5 times more than it needs to, and never really fits the mood in the first place, and with the nothing finale. The dumb script and the super star overload...
And god damn it, for being Jack Nicholson's last time to really shine in such a good fitting role, and they pretty much screw it up.

I think you are really overthinking it dude.
I was just saying I am not for telling people in forums to go and rewatch until they come back with an oppinion I approve of, even if I too disagree with them.
Oh, good. Well, in that case it's fortunate that I've done nothing of the sort.

It's how movie critics have been reviewing movies for decades. Are you saying they're all somehow narrowminded and absurd? I mean, do you believe that movie critics go back and rewatch a film multiple times before composing their reviews?

Do you know this for a fact? I admit I know very little about how movie critics work (I don't care much about them), but I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that some of them actually watch a film more than once before reviewing it. Also, I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea that just because something has been done for decades it means it's right or correct.

Anyway, this one seems to agree that watching some movies twice can add to the experience:

"It is the kind of movie you can see twice--first for the questions, the second time for the answers."

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-english-patient-1996

Macmanus

Putting Slumdog and Inception on an "overrated film" list is about as creative as putting water and list of things that are wet.

Do you know this for a fact? I admit I know very little about how movie critics work (I don't care much about them), but I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that some of them actually watch a film more than once before reviewing it. Also, I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea that just because something has been done for decades it means it's right or correct.

Anyway, this one seems to agree that watching some movies twice can add to the experience:

"It is the kind of movie you can see twice--first for the questions, the second time for the answers."

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-english-patient-1996

Sure rewatching a movie can add to the experience. I never disputed that. You can often find new meaning and subtext on rereading a book or whatnot. But I believe that you should gain sufficient enjoyment and entertainment upon a first viewing to encourage you to want to go back for that second viewing. But if you aren't hooked that first time, then why would you want to go back?

Put another way... you can gain a lot more insight and a deeper connection to a romantic partner on a second date, right? But you have to first form that initial spark on the first date to entice you to go back for that second date. That's what I was getting at.

Not even close to something of the sort. In fact, I must say, you are being a tad too hard on yourself. Everybody throws a pissy condescending rant out over a non existent disagreement sometime.

you to want to go back for that second viewing. But if you aren't hooked that first time, then why would you want to go back?
Because, people change over time. You have new experiences every day, you start seeing things in a different light, from a different perspective. All of a sudden, that boring movie about the depressed dude where the villain doesn't even die makes sense, or that comedy that didn't impress you because you were not old enough to understand the subtle humor is hilarious. You might end up liking a movie you originally hated, and you might end up hating a movie you originally liked. It really is that simple.

Not even close to something of the sort. In fact, I must say, you are being a tad too hard on yourself. Everybody throws a pissy condescending rant out over a non existent disagreement sometime.
It's a relief you're being civil about it, at least. And here I thought you were going to resort to butt hurt, thinly-veiled, passive-aggressive responses once you realized you had no idea what you were talking about, even though my last response to you was not an attack at all.

It's a relief you're being civil about it, at least. And here I thought you were going to resort to butt hurt, thinly-veiled, passive-aggressive responses once you realized you had no idea what you were talking about, even though my last response to you was not an attack at all.

Ugh, it's still talking to me.

DrSlek

The Big Lebowski is my #1

I don't get why it's so special. I just don't understand why everyone harps on about what seems to be a thoroughly average comedy.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shoulda been a Top 10 Chris Nolan movies list, could have done two lists at the same time.

Is Inception overrated? I dunno, but I do know that movie was way longer than it should've been.

That fucking gunfight scene was at least a half-hour long!

Mononoke

Banned
Skyfall..da fuck? Even if people did overrate it, there is no way it's the most overrated film of all time.

Also, where is Crash on this list? I guess you could argue that, most people ended up not liking it. And after time has passed, most have changed their views negatively about it. But the fact that it won an Academy Award (and it's an awful film), makes it overrated IMO.

Is Inception overrated? I dunno, but I do know that movie was way longer than it should've been.

That fucking gunfight scene was at least a half-hour long!

The Dark Knight Rises is more overrated than Inception. It has one of the messiest scripts I've seen in a major picture. It also has a ton of editing/tonal issues. It's not an awful film by any means, but there is no way it's 9 or 10/10. It has a lot of technical issues, and yet fans try to prop it up as one of the best films of all time.

Ridley327

Skyfall..da fuck? Even if people did overrate it, there is no way it's the most overrated film of all time.

Also, where is Crash on this list? I guess you could argue that, most people ended up not liking it. And after time has passed, most have changed their views negatively about it. But the fact that it won an Academy Award (and it's an awful film), makes it overrated IMO.

If winning Best Picture was the only qualifier for being overrated, there would be a lot more Best Picture winners on that list.

Mononoke

Banned
If winning Best Picture was the only qualifier for being overrated, there would be a lot more Best Picture winners on that list.

Yeah fair enough. Still, I can't believe that at the time it was in the running at the awards shows, people put it so high up on a pedestal. But you have a point in that, every awards show there is THAT movie that gets thrown around for multiple reasons (even if it's a bad film).

Agree about Skyfall. Some called it the best ever Bond movie, best picture nomination worthy. The movie was good until we find out what Skyfall is, then it took a total 360 to mediocrity.

Don't think Inception was overrated. Lots of memes and pop culture references came from it but was never really hailed as ground breaking or anything.

I thought The Departed was recognized as not Scorsese's best but good enough to give him the Oscars he deserved. Infernal Affairs is way better.

Ridley327

Yeah fair enough. Still, I can't believe that at the time it was in the running at the awards shows, people put it so high up on a pedestal. But you have a point in that, every awards show there is THAT movie that gets thrown around for multiple reasons (even if it's a bad film).

The Academy likes going with movies that feel important in a fairly inoffensive way. Challenging winners like No Country for Old Men are few and far between.

The only two movies I agree that are overrated are Skyfall, and The Departed. I like the rest of those films on that list. A few of my overrated picks for me, are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I just thought this one was good, but it had alot of moments which I did not like in it. The Hobbit trilogy I think is one of his worse though, it's equal for me to the star wars prequel trilogy. I didn't like 300. That's a few of the movies I think are overrated.

Mollymauk

The Big Lebowski is my #1

I don't get why it's so special. I just don't understand why everyone harps on about what seems to be a thoroughly average comedy.

Agreed. It's often evangelized by people whose humor consists of quoting movie lines rather than using any personal wit.

Videodrome doesn't belong on this list. They say it doesn't coalesce into a satisfying film, then recommend The Naked Lunch? Strage. I think Videodrome works far better as a film than The Naked Lunch does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom