• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The 10 Most Overrated Films of All Time'

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best inclusion on that list is Amarcord, which is a truly empty film. Most people probably don't have an opinion on it because they haven't heard of it, let alone seen it, and I'd encourage them to keep it that way.

The only two Fellini films I've seen are 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita. I enjoyed 8 1/2, but La Dolce Vita left me feeling so hollow - I just didn't get it. Given the wide praise it had received, I figured, "Surely I must've missed something". I tried watching it again, but was so bored, that I turned it off halfway through and never bothered to check out more of his work. Amarcord would've been next on my list, however, so I'm glad to hear I'm not missing much.

I edited. I think many of those who use that term are talking out of their asses; it all depends on the reasons for which they feel that way (as I said in my original reply).
Hmm, yeah, I agree. Look at what this thread has come to, some people say certain movies should be on the list, while others disgusted by the ideas, and valid criticism is no where to be seen.

The only people who can't recognise the Departed is overrated are those who haven't seen the infinitely superior Infernal Affairs

IMDB, Metacritic, etc. disagree with you.

Don't see what's wrong with The Departed. I haven't seen Internal Affairs, but then HK movies aren't my cup of tea either.

It seems like it's a "cool" thing in here to hate on The Departed...

Helmholtz

Slumdog is one of the most overrated movies ever. Holy shit how did that win so many oscars. What an incredibly mediocre movie.
Skyfall & Inception are also overrated for sure. I'd throw Avatar, Avengers, and Gravity on this list too, but I'm probably in the minority there.

border

How the fuck can you call Slumdog Millionaire Danny Boyle's worst movie?!?

I haven't even seen Slumdog, but I can guarantee that it's easily twenty times better than A Life Less Ordinary.

HTupolev

Regardless of the rest of the list, I have to agree about Ikiru. I love much of Kurosawa, but I sat watching Ikiru completely underwhelmed.
The first two thirds of the film are boring but effective setup for a phenomenal final act IMO. Even if it's all very hamfisted.

It's a weird film to rate.

Blader

The first two thirds of the film are boring but effective setup for a phenomenal final act IMO. Even if it's all very hamfisted.

It's a weird film to rate.

I agree with this. Also, this may be a mistranslation error, but it really bugged me how often "In other words..." popped up. He began every other sentence with that!

Yasae

Banned
To those of you saying Shawshank should be on the list, can you explain why ? the movie is brilliant.
jvy2mFH.jpg

G-Fex

Dark Knight love is ridiculous. As is it's ranking as one of the greatest of all time.

Even for this stupid list that is just clickbait, it should recognize that crap.

2001 is an unpopular movie that has basically been rejected by the general population as boring crap. Even if you don't like it (which is fair enough) i just don't see how it's over rated.

overcast

A lot of the IMDB movies are great, but they definitely aren't "best ever" good. So I cringe whenever I see it.

Shawshank in particular is ridiculously meh for me. One of those overly corny, in your face movies. Not bad, but it feels completely ordinary, so the love shocks me. Although it's a likable film.

IMDB, Metacritic, etc. disagree with you.

Don't see what's wrong with The Departed. I haven't seen Internal Affairs, but then HK movies aren't my cup of tea either.

It seems like it's a "cool" thing in here to hate on The Departed...

The Departed isn't a terrible movie at all. Infernal Affairs is just the better version of it.

Meesh

Videodrome is overrated? Ha!
I still love Videodrome :/

What's overrated is Avatar. It's mediocrity at best an should almost be rated lower. And yes it pains me to say it because I'm really a Cameron fan...although I still watch it because it looks beautiful.

Lists like these exclusively exist to stroke the egos of film critic hipsters who want to one-up each other, by shitting on movies nobody else has thought to shit on yet. This one goes above and beyond by including more unknown alternatives, proving with evidence that the person who wrote this article is more cultured and interesting than you.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Lists like these exclusively exist to stroke the egos of film critic hipsters who want to one-up each other, by shitting on movies nobody else has thought to shit on yet. This one goes above and beyond by including more unknown alternatives, proving with evidence that the person who wrote this article is more cultured and interesting than you.

Easy, tiger. It's ok not to have heard of Ikiru.

Ikael

I agree with every film on that list, sans Million Dollar baby and Ikiru. As much as I love some of the films listed like the Departed, their directors have far better filmography under their respective belts.

SteveWD40

See instead… The Living Daylights (1987), Timothy Dalton’s gritty debut as Bond, which still feels like one of the most underregarded in the series, and has that ridiculously good stunt sequence dangling out the back of a Soviet cargo plane.

Yes.

Best Bond, best soundtrack, not best film sadly for various reasons but still...

Blink Me

Skyfall isn't even the most overrated Bond movie. That goes to From Russia With Love, followed by Dr No and Thunderball.

I agree on Inception and the Departed though. Not saying they were bad films though.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I definately agree with Skyfall (what a Piece of cokcheese) and departed.
Missing 2001 on the list.
From recent movies ive seen: Life of Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom