• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 10 Nerd Movies Most Superior to Their Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that there's no outrage toward Scott Pilgrim being listed. It is certainly NOT better. True that more story is not necessarily good, but that statement is invalid if you don't explain why it's true in this case. I can list MANY plot elements that the movie lacked or changed that were either inferior or simply silly. Spoilers for both film and book.

Ramona is controlled by a chip. How can that even compare to a part of her mind always belonging to Gideon?

Scott causing the break-up with Envy in the first place. The movie almost blames her 100% for being a bitch, when they were both possibly the instigators in the situation, if not Scott himself.

Kim was relegated to one-liners, which is arguably the worst thing they did in the transition - even Wright admits to this. Kim had a huge influence to his character.

The movie did nothing with the Katanayagi Twins. Where in the book it establishes that Ramona isn't perfect, a fact which is not nearly as well conveyed in the books. It's the best scene in the movie, but they had NO characterization.

Todd Ingram is depicted in a much less jerky fashion. The books depict him as a cheater and a dick, which the latter was admittedly conveyed in punching Knives, but him hitting Envy has much, much more impact. Envy is not even a character in the film, she's just something there for the sole purpose of furthering the plot.

Ramona has no reason to be with Scott; at least, a poor reason compared to the books. In the fourth book, Scott gives this grand speech, and proves to Ramona his love. In the movies, she sounds barely interested in him at any given time.

The reason for the break-up is very weak compared to the books. Their relationship wanes in the fourth book after his encounter with Lisa. They both do things without thinking as a result, leading to Ramona presumably sleeping with Roxy. However, Scott rekindles this by earning the power of love with his grand speech. Eventually, after defeating the Twins and hearing the tale of her wrongitude, Ramona leaves him to think things through (providing us a hilarious characterization of Ramona as pretty nerdy and a match for him as a result). In the movies, she just gets pissed at him, gets possessed, and disappears until Scott breaks her free.

Understanding is way better than self-respect. Understanding shows Scott learning a thing or two about himself. He did so in the movies, but the whole reveal - that Scott has been mistaken about himself, and is actually a bad person - is way better than how they depicted it, where it basically shows him as having fucked up. Considering the theme of self-respect, it makes no sense for Scott to go with Knives OR Ramona - the strongest element of self-respect, or one of them, would be learning to live without needing a significant other. Having a revelation and then being forced to do something that contradicts the whole basis just to stay true is silly. If you're going to make a big change like that, stick with it.

Being a huge Zelda fan, I loved all of the references, and I know that Wright put a lot of love into the references. But please, not at the expense of all of the other ones! Why can't we have a Space Channel 5 reference? Or a Super Mario Bros. 2 reference? Metroid reference? And what's with the lack of the Achievement Unlocked with the Katanayagi Twins?!

But all-in-all, it was a great game. Music was great, references were great, acting was great, special effects were great, and even the plot was great. They did a great job of translating the series... but it's still got tons of problems that make it fall short. The person obviously doesn't understand what makes the books great if he would denounce the importance of the two plot elements that he mentioned.

EDIT: Well, now there's outrage. I guess it came while I was posting this!

TheChaos

jett said:
I heavily disagree with Scott Pilgrim, the books are much superior to the movie.

I dunno, I thought the last book was pretty disappointing.
Envy sucks and should not have been brought back.
I thought the movie ending was a lot better.

Also, I thought Ramona was better portrayed in the movie, in that I actually kinda liked her. She was a huge bitch on the books.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
BertramCooper said:
I didn't realize Verhoeven knew what satire is.

His best movie (IMO) Robocop is where he really showed his chops with satire... So yeah, rethink the statement.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
EschatonDX said:
Starship troopers is NOT better than the book, that's fucking absurd. Starship Troopers is one of the worst movies I think i've ever seen.

This is nonsense.

Absolute poppycock.

Would it be a unpopular opinion to say that The Hitchhiker's Guide was a better movie than book? I know it's a weird one since it's actually a radio drama first.

Though, my opinion may be completely based off the fact that I liked Mos Def as Ford and Sam Rockwell as Zaphod a lot more than their book counterparts.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
aparisi2274 said:
This!!! I thought the original ending of the JP book was better than the movie
both Hammond and Malcom die
and because the ending was different in the movie, when Crichton wrote "The Lost World" he had to base the book off the ending of the movie, and not his original JP novel ending...

BOOO!!!
That inst true.
Hammond was dead
in The Lost World and
Malcom's death
was always vague just enough that it was ok that Crichton
brought him back
for The Lost World.

DrForester said:
Don't agree with Jurassic park at all. While I loved the movie, the book was so much better. Book didn't have the silly "Grant hates kids" thing, book had pterodactyls, and the book was far more dark with nearly everyone dying.

i'm curious to read it

while speilberg nailed the visuals of in the film there's also a lot of silly moments like raptors opening doors and t-rex showing up to save the day at the end

DrForester said:
Don't agree with Jurassic park at all. While I loved the movie, the book was so much better. Book didn't have the silly "Grant hates kids" thing, book had pterodactyls, and the book was far more dark with nearly everyone dying.

I hated that they killed the park warden in the movie when he lives and is a major character throughout the book.

Almost soured me on the movie completely, although the dinosaur effects won me over in the end.

The novel was much better.

xxracerxx

It is well worth a read. It was one of my favorite books when I was a young teen and I will still go back 16 years later and read it from time to time.

wenis said:
His best movie (IMO) Robocop is where he really showed his chops with satire... So yeah, rethink the statement.
Fair enough

But Starship Troopers is a garbage film. Perhaps with a decent cast it would have been okay, but Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards are horrid in it. They pretty much ruin the film.

Jurassic Park is a pretty stupid pick, too. The film is great, no doubt, but it excessively simplifies the novel, and adds stupid, unnecessary crap like the aforementioned "Grant hates kids" storyline.

The Lost World, however, was a terrible book, made into an even more terrible film.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Quote said:
Would it be a unpopular opinion to say that The Hitchhiker's Guide was a better movie than book? I know it's a weird one since it's actually a radio drama first.

Though, my opinion may be completely based off the fact that I liked Mos Def as Ford and Sam Rockwell as Zaphod a lot more than their book counterparts.

I don't think it's better than the books, but its definitely better than a lot of people think and it was such an amazing thing to see practical effects still being done for movie made in the last decade.

BertramCooper said:
Fair enough

But Starship Troopers is a garbage film. Perhaps with a decent cast it would have been okay, but Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards are horrid in it. They pretty much ruin the film.

Yeah, they are pretty wooden in the film and deliver at best a C- performance, but I don't think you can really expect a film like Starship to attract some big names. Especially given the source material and the target audience. For what it did and managed to say about the current times and where we were headed, people give it a lot of leeway in the acting department because of that (at least those who could see beyond face value of the film).

jtb

Banned
Fight Club, The Social Network both made huge improvements to the books they were adapted from... David Fincher ftw!

PhoncipleBone said:
FAIL! Novel of Jurassic Park is superior to the movie.
on what planet? the novel is entertaining, badly-written pulp that i dug when i was maybe 9 years old, whereas the movie is a five star blockbuster classic that amazed the entire world and holds up 17 years later.

comparing mediums is a bad idea anyway, but in terms of impact within their own there is absolutely no disputing that jurassic park the movie is a bigger deal. imagine if someone said jurassic park was one of their all-time favourite novels!

BertramCooper said:
Fair enough

Jurassic Park is a pretty stupid pick, too. The film is great, no doubt, but it excessively simplifies the novel, and adds stupid, unnecessary crap like the aforementioned "Grant hates kids" storyline.

The Lost World, however, was a terrible book, made into an even more terrible film.

I enjoyed the film but I agree about the casting. Casper Van Dien was a terrible choice.

xxracerxx

345triangle said:
on what planet? the novel is entertaining, badly-written pulp that i dug when i was maybe 9 years old, whereas the movie is a five star blockbuster classic that amazed the entire world and holds up 17 years later.

comparing mediums is a bad idea anyway, but in terms of impact within their own there is absolutely no disputing that jurassic park the movie is a bigger deal. imagine if someone said jurassic park was one of their all-time favourite novels!
It was when I was young.

345triangle said:

that criticism basically applies to movie for me.. lol

TheChaos said:
Also, I thought Ramona was better portrayed in the movie, in that I actually kinda liked her. She was a huge bitch on the books.

having just rewatched the movie tonight i don't understand what's supposed to be appealing about ramona other than that it's mary elizabeth winstead.

she has no personality at all and her hair colors and fashion sense are atrocious.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I never fell asleep during the Lord of the Rings movies............... did reading the book though on numerous occasions. Book did have some good bits the movie failed to have though.

Puddles

Banned
Watership Down the movie is not even CLOSE to the book. I can't believe I just read that. The movie takes a masterfully-written, terrifying scene like the warren of snares and turns it into a five minute sidenote.

TheChaos said:
I dunno, I thought the last book was pretty disappointing.
Envy sucks and should not have been brought back.
I thought the movie ending was a lot better.

That's the point -
Ramona is a huge bitch in the books. Just like Scott is a huge dick. The point is that they are both bad people. The movie doesn't illustrate that either of them are bad.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I never fell asleep during the Lord of the Rings movies............... did reading the book though on numerous occasions. Book did have some good bits the movie failed to have though.
The films very wisely omitted the Scourging of the Shire, which was a definite improvement.

But I don't know if I'd go far enough to say that I prefer the films. When they first came out, I was blown away by them, but every time I re-watch them, I end up laughing the entire time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ZeroGravity said:
I absolutely loved the Scott Pilgrim movie, but the books were just a bit better.

I found the books to be annoying hipster bullshit. Michael Cera totally saved the movie by being funny and awesome like always.

catfish said:
I found the books to be annoying hipster bullshit. Michael Cera totally saved the movie by being funny and awesome like always.

What the Hell? At what point are the books bad for being hipster, but a movie with Michael Cera isn't?

The word hipster should be banned on NeoGAF. It doesn't mean anything, and everyone applies completely different definitions for it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
A Link to the Snitch said:
What the Hell? At what point are the books bad for being hipster, but a movie with Michael Cera isn't?

The word hipster should be banned on NeoGAF. It doesn't mean anything, and everyone applies completely different definitions for it.

Michael Cera is a funny hipster. Movie saved.
Hipster shouldn't be a banned word until hipster behaviour is banned from earth, after that we can get rid of the word. This could all be achieved with more police on the streets.

catfish said:
Michael Cera is a funny hipster. Movie saved.
Hipster shouldn't be a banned word until hipster behaviour is banned from earth, after that we can get rid of the word. This could all be achieved with more police on the streets.

I totally respect you holding the above opinion of the books, but not your usage of the word. It's a stupid word and it doesn't mean anything. It just gets randomly applied to anyone or anything that people don't like.

woodypop

The Road.

I think the movie is better than the book. Some of it may have to do with the fact that I read the book after seeing the movie. But I feel the movie's visuals and acting were amazingly effective in portraying the bleak world of The Road.

EDIT: Dunno if it's considered a "Nerd Movie" though.

Shawshank Redemption and Kite Runner

What I was surprised by was this list failed to include Shawshank Redemption and Dune. SR maybe b.c it not really considered a `nerd movie.` I recently also read the Kite Runner and heard there was a movie about it so i`ll have to check that out.

xxracerxx

spiderman123 said:
Shawshank Redemption and Kite Runner

What I was surprised by was this list failed to include Shawshank Redemption and Dune.
What!? The book is better than the movie (even though I love the D. Lynch film).

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
woodypop said:
The Road.

I think the movie is better than the book. Some of it may have to do with the fact that I read the book after seeing the movie. But I feel the movie's visuals and acting were amazingly effective in portraying the bleak world of The Road.

I thought it was the reverse, but to each their own.

Carton

I thought The Shawshank Redemption was better than the novella, Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption.
Andy withdrawing all of Norton's laundered money, and exposing his corruption was one of the best parts of the movie, but this is not in the book.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World is significantly worse than the comics, even though the last volume was weak.

Starship Troopers as #1 is truth.

Chuckie

BertramCooper said:

Even if you think it is garbage (I don't agree with you on that) or think some of the actors were shite (I do agree with you on that) it still doesn't mean Verhoeven doesn't know satire. He does and ST was clearly an example of it.

thetechkid

woodypop said:
The Road.

I'll agree that the movie is better, but they both still suck.

Enosh

Starship trooper was a fun movie I enjoyed to watch

but the book is still better. It's quite clear the author of that article rated it lower only beacose of political reasons

CajoleJuice said:
Children of Men?

Movie sucked, but probably because I had read the book and done a report on it. I liked the book, but absolutely hated the movie. I just stopped watching after michael caine stops talking.

G.O.O.

The point of Staship Troopers isn't to have good actors. It's to look like "hey, we hired your favourite soap opera actors only to destroy their stupid smiles and make them suffer in Fascistopia".

And you know what ? It works amazingly well.

Foxix Von

Holy shit. Something actually mentioned Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

I thought I was the only one to have ever seen that movie haha! It's like comfort viewing at this point, everything about it just makes me happy, and I nearly religiously watch it every Halloween now.

Welp 49 minutes in and my day has already been made. Happy friday everyone! :lol

Jurrasic Park novel is probably my favorite after the Godfather. It's an amazing book with surreal imagery. I found myself saying "oh shit!" a lot reading it. I loved, loved, loved reading that book.

The movie is a masterpiece as well but the book slightly edges it out.

aparisi2274 said:
This!!! I thought the original ending of the JP book was better than the movie
both Hammond and Malcom die
and because the ending was different in the movie, when Crichton wrote "The Lost World" he had to base the book off the ending of the movie, and not his original JP novel ending...

BOOO!!!
The lost World was still a good book to read but not as good as JP. The movie was HORRIBLE!

C4Lukins

BlackGoku03 said:
Jurrasic Park novel is probably my favorite after the Godfather. It's an amazing book with surreal imagery. I found myself saying "oh shit!" a lot reading it. I loved, loved, loved reading that book.

The movie is a masterpiece as well but the book slightly edges it out.

The lost World was still a good book to read but not as good as JP. The movie was HORRIBLE!

The Lost World was a horrible book also.

But yeah disagree with JP. Love both the book and the film, but at best they are equals. I do think the film is as good as anyone could have done with that material.

Jaws is probably true. I have read a couple of Benchley's other novels and it is hard to imagine that he ever wrote a decent one.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a horrible movie, and I had no idea it was based on a book.

Having read and seen Starship Troopers, they are both a ton of fun, but really should not be compared to each other.

There's an old anime based on the Starship Trooper novel that actualy follows it closer than the movie. It's a 6 part series but I never got to finish it.

Puddles said:
The Lost World looks like The Godfather compared to Jurassic Park 3.
:lol True.

Children of Men will be the next book I read. I hear the first half is weird but the second half is almost like a different book.

way more

Many of those "books" were short stories written for booze money and printed in pulps so the authors didn't go into DT's. Well, Steven King at least. But it's like comparing a napkin sketch to a portrait.

But Iron Giant is a good choice. And it's hard to imagine that Scott Pilgrim was worse when it seemed like the movie only gave you a quarter of a story.

Jintor

Scott Pilgrim the books and Scott Pilgrim the movie were equally awesome, in different ways

O'Malley's simple artstyle is goddamn amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom