• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 |OT| Nissan enter the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dahx1ta.jpg
That's a person? What happened?!

Edit: Nvm, I know what happened now

TCRS

Banned
jesus all that light, everyone driving with high beams. is that not blinding for other drivers? or don't they have any side mirrors?

also, are there any special rules for nighttime?

jesus all that light, everyone driving with high beams. is that not blinding for other drivers? or don't they have any side mirrors?

also, are there any special rules for nighttime?
I think the drivers just deal with it, since there's not really a good solution. I don't think anyone's invented a high-pass filter for a mirror... ;p

I don't know of any special rules for nighttime -- there are a few procedural things like the blue lights instead of flags to let slow drivers know a rocket-car is coming up from behind, but everything is basically the same.

Except more awesome.
YYvCJ.gif

Watevaman

They were talking earlier on Fox about how some drivers purposely adjust the mirrors out a bit so the light isn't shining right in their eyes. I think most of it is just a "deal with it" scenario, as you need the bright lights when you're racing at 200 mph so you can see where you're going.

Shaneus

Seriously, holy shit this is how you stream a race. $13AUD, I can have three devices going, there are THIRTEEN onboard car cameras as well as the main broadcast AND the news channel thingy and live timing and stuff.

And it's all in HD and 100% lag/buffering-free.

I honestly don't know if I can follow any other motorsport anymore, including F1.

Do other races get this sort of coverage? If so, next year I'm dropping the $60 or whatever for the full year.

But seriously, hats off to the people who have organised this sort of coverage. It's fucking incredible.

Edit: And is the commentary on the Le Mans FIA stream the same as the Eurosport one?

Seriously, holy shit this is how you stream a race. $13AUD, I can have three devices going, there are THIRTEEN onboard car cameras as well as the main broadcast AND the news channel thingy and live timing and stuff.

And it's all in HD and 100% lag/buffering-free.

I honestly don't know if I can follow any other motorsport anymore, including F1.

Do other races get this sort of coverage? If so, next year I'm dropping the $60 or whatever for the full year.

But seriously, hats off to the people who have organised this sort of coverage. It's fucking incredible.
Unfortunately... not really.

But yes, it's awesome, and I wish more races/racing series did it. Though in some sense, the access is part of what makes Le Mans ... Le Mans.

Shaneus

Unfortunately... not really.

But yes, it's awesome, and I wish more races/racing series did it. Though in some sense, the access is part of what makes Le Mans ... Le Mans.
Damn. So to what extent are the other races cut back... fewer cams and that's it? I can handle that.

It's a shame there's no option to stream the entire race(s) post-race weekend. I'd love to have this stuff in the background at home not-live (because in Australia they all start at stupid hours).

Edit: Webber screwed up? How long ago and what did he do? Did it put #17 that far back?

dubc35

Webber passed a car under yellow flag, or so it was reported. Some speculation was that the previous driver did it and they took the penalty while Webbah was in the car.

Just dawned on me, no BMW cars in the field?

Damn. So to what extent are the other races cut back... fewer cams and that's it? I can handle that.

It's a shame there's no option to stream the entire race(s) post-race weekend. I'd love to have this stuff in the background at home not-live (because in Australia they all start at stupid hours).
Actually... I have to take what I said back. I'm not sure what it looks like in 2015, since it's a brand new WEC streaming world.

In year's past it's been very much up to manufacturers who wanted to put streams up, I'm not sure if that changed or not since I only got the WEC Le Mans package and haven't seen what it looks like at Silverstone, Spa...

dubc35

Anyone catch the Twitter accounts for the WEC announcers? Mark James and someone else right now but I can't find their accounts. Was gong to ask about BMW.

Webber passed a car under yellow flag, or so it was reported. Some speculation was that the previous driver did it and they took the penalty while Webbah was in the car.

Just dawned on me, no BMW cars in the field?
No BMW. I'm not sure why, IIRC there are some running in the GTE-equivalent class of the US Tudor series (aka the series that ate Sebring and Road Atlanta).

e: The RLM guys are slaying me. "What am I saying, it's a 24 hour window for bacon, isn't it..."

Oh jeez, it was the #99. And so with the #64 in for something(?), the two leaders in GTE Pro are in the pits for an extended time...

e: Corvette back on the road, but now more than a minute out of the lead.

dubc35

Oh jeez, it was the #99. And so with the #64 in for something(?), the two leaders in GTE Pro are in the pits for an extended time...
Aston spewing coolant too. Corvette getting a brake job right next to them.

E* Vette out but Ferrari now leading GT-Pro.

E2, dawn is soon!!

The Le Mans race reminds me of when my girlfriend and I drove from Pennsylvania to Texas straight. It wound up at like a 25/26 hour drive. She did the day and I drove through the night.

So in a way, we're endurance racers in our own right. Also, we did it with 2 cats in the car. Take that, Audi/Porsche teams!

dubc35

The Le Mans race reminds me of when my girlfriend and I drove from Pennsylvania to Texas straight. It wound up at like a 25/26 hour drive. She did the day and I drove through the night.

So in a way, we're endurance racers in our own right. Also, we did it with 2 cats in the car. Take that, Audi/Porsche teams!
"Oh no, it looks like the #__ has sprung an oil leak! Oh wait, it's ok. There is kitty litter in the car soaking it up! They're good to go!"

You probably had better corner speed than Nissan also.

Chris R

Yay, back to TV coverage in the USA.

Except they are a bunch of liars!!! Darkness in the USA? I'm baking in the sun for the next two+ hours lol

dalin80

Banned
Well had a nap for a couple of hours and while I'm glad not to have missed anything and nothing happened at all? It's odd for Lemans to be so uneventful.

Well had a nap for a couple of hours and while I'm glad not to have missed anything and nothing happened at all? It's odd for Lemans to be so uneventful.
GTE Pro and LMP2 had a shake up, in that the 2nd place car in one of those classes overshot a chicane entry and ran over the 2nd place car in the other...

But yeah, pretty quiet night. Pace of the Audis dropped, Ulrich mentioned they didn't have as good grip in the cool temps (??). Porsche seemed content to keep them at arm's length.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
good mornin' vietnam

Haha, dude on http://www.24h-lemans.com is looking very very tired :D

One full service advantage is nothing in Le Mans, we will see tactical game in last 8 hours. Also, gremlins tend to appear in the morning :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom