• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawsd

He literally does not stop talking between his thanks and when he says "we lost by the way." How does he manage that and not already know he lost?

Again, I said it's an emotional moment. I understand that. That doesn't make his response respectful to his peers. It doesn't make him scum or whatever, but it's still not cool.

Its a tough situation. Its easy to see how the guy probably fell back on the old "the show must go on" mentality that gets drilled into anyone who is involved in any live production. So in his mind he might have been trying to just fill the dead air with the only thing in his head at the time until the actual show's producers did something the correct the mistake.

Kelpie

I still can't believe what happened, it's all so crazy. I feel bad for everyone involved even though it certainly was entertaining.

I can't be the only one who turned it off after La La Land was announced the winner only to get a CNN alert minutes later. I was rooting for Moonlight, so it was pretty exciting for a minute. I'm just mad I missed it happening live.

Yes. Berger fully understood what was going on. You can see him processing it. It's not some sort of adrenaline-fueled fugue state. He's visibly disappointed. He knows what's up.

He did something wrong. He was reticent to do it when asked, but then he did it anyway, and he gave up on it as he was doing it. Yes, it's an unprecedented situation. Berger handled it very differently than Horowitz did. Horowitz tried to round up all the statues and get the proper winners onstage to recieve them. Berger denied the microphone once, took it anyway, and started in with his acceptance speech for an award he already knows isn't his to accept anymore.

I would really push back on the idea that he already knew he didn't win. Understanding something like that is going to happen in layers. The whole thing went down in mere seconds. I think saying that he did something wrong is a real stretch.

I think this is one of those situations where scrutinising something over and over again in replay distorts the nature of what something was actually like in real-time.

They TOLD Fred to go on with it. He makes a clumsy attempt at a transition at the end and doesn't handle it well, but he's not some horrible human being. He clearly doesn't even want to go forward with it initially.

Agreed. Yes, he did know, but they were still collecting Oscars and explaining to the rest of the crew on stage what had happened. He was beckoned to do it and decided to go for it, possibly because he figured the alternative was to have the entire crew murmuring to themselves for like 30 seconds.

It was obviously clumsy and took away time from Moonlight, but absolutely nobody knew how to handle the situation and calling Fred a douche or otherwise trying to bag him for it is really uncalled for.

No wonder people watch the WWE. OUTTA NOWHERE

I can't be the only one who turned it off after La La Land was announced the winner only to get a CNN alert minutes later. I was rooting for Moonlight, so it was pretty exciting for a minute. I'm just mad I missed it happening live.

I turned it off(idiot!) and then saw a GAF post asking what the fuck is going on, and then went to Twitter.

TheFlow

Banned
Obviously he meant he idolized Denzel's performances as a young actor.

"One of the first people who taught me how to act was Denzel Washington, and I just met him tonight for the first time. Thank you," he said."

coming from Affleck and then the camera going to Washington did not give it that type of vibe js.

will be interesting to see Denzel talk about it later.

The bald guy that kept saying "IT IS NOT A JOKE" was REALLY pissed. The way he took the envelope from the announcer's hands was so unecessary.

Adrenaline from being on stage at the oscars
+
Adrenaline from being told you won the most prestigious award of all
+
Adrenaline from being told you actually didn't win, in an unprecedented fuck up

It's beyond justified. And no big deal in the grand scheme of things

He petty as fuck

I disagree with one point, I enjoyed La La Land. Thought it was beautiful and a good, not great film. There is an issue, that in a film about Jazz, a black art form for the most part, the film's main male lead basically white-splains Jazz. Even to the one speaking black character in the movie. There is an issue there.

That's not what whitesplaining really is though? Especially when the John Legend character is clearly informed about jazz and what it means. They're just having an argument.

stupei

Have you been in a situation like that? Where there is a massive amount of tension as you sit in an audience and then they say that the thing that you put tons of blood sweat and tears into wins and then an audience of your peers, people you massively respect, all start cheering for you?

The emotion of that moment is insane. Completely, overwhelmingly insane. I completely understand how it would take a bit for his mouth to catch up to his brain. Bagging on that dude feels like bagging on a person for getting run over by a car incorrectly. Sorry man, the way you rolled under that Buick was completely disrespectful.

I just hate how Hot Take culture is dunking on a dude that just had a soul crushing moment on national television.

So how do you feel about the people who actually won and had their time cut short, their moment forever overshadowed by someone else's mistake, the segue into their victory introduced through bitterness instead of respect? That's all good and we should just be overly concerned with this one dude who only a handful of people are even commenting on?

Look, being a producer is a stressful job that sometimes requires a lot of quick thinking on the spot with literally millions on the line. One of the producers demonstrated just how good he is at his job by reacting quickly, taking control, and keeping his head. The other one really didn't.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The bald guy that kept saying "IT IS NOT A JOKE" was REALLY pissed. The way he took the envelope from the announcer's hands was so unecessary.

I would've done it the same way in his position, tbh.

It's a ship that needed to be righted ASAP.

Not really - he took action while Warren was in the back cheesing, holding on to the enevelope and waiting for the crowd to settle down or something - but there was no time for that

LionPride

Banned
Are you saying a white guy can't appreciate jazz?

I'm saying in a film with 46 black people in it as a whole, two who speak, one who matters, in regards to what is traditionally regarded as a black art form, having one character potentially white-splain Jazz to that black character, can understandably upset some

yup, I agree.

the losers should not have been allowed to touch anything after it was clear that is was a mistake.

He disrespected Warren Beaty IMO, it wasn't Warren's fault

fuck that bald guy

I mean, with the Oscars so white criticism as context, Chazelle has had 3 jazz musicians as protagonists in his movies and none of them are black... I'd like to see what the percentage of jazz musicians are black/white today though before making that criticism.

I'm not arguing within that context. I don't know anything regarding the statistics of white actors versus actors of an ethnic background versus the population of countries that speak english etc. I'm just speaking to the behavior of a character within a movie that exists, rather than debating the theoretical casting of that part.

I would really push back on the idea that he already knew he didn't win. Understanding something like that is going to happen in layers.

No, you can see it happen in real time. He knows what's happened. He reads the card himself, and he knows enough to attempt denying the mic at first.

I just hate how Hot Take culture is dunking on a dude that just had a soul crushing moment on national television.

"Hot take culture" isn't dunking on the dude. I get that you're empathizing with the guy because you've been in a similar situation and it was really overwhelming for you, but in the end, he knowingly gave an acceptance speech for an award he understood was no longer his. That's kinda shady. And he seems to understand as he's doing it that he shouldn't be doing it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
For me, the funny thing about this whole ideal is that almost every time I watch the Oscars or any other live event, I get this tingling of paranoia that something is gonna fuck up in real-time.

It actually happened tonight.

Belatedly catching up on the drama - fuck yes, Moonlight! Seeing the footage of the cast realizing what's happened and hugging each other - aaaaaaaaaargh, my heart.

cj_iwakura

I'm saying in a film with 46 black people in it as a whole, two who speak, one who matters, in regards to what is traditionally regarded as a black art form, having one character potentially white-splain Jazz to that black character, can understandably upset some
I think you're reading way too much into it. It's a character who's passionate about music, it doesn't have to be a race thing.

What seriously? That guy handled the situation as well as humanly possible. People were confused and thought it was some terrible parody of the Steve Harvey deal. Someone needed to make it very clear what was going on and get the Moonlight crew on stage. Bald guy for President 2020.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Yes a colossal fuck up live on tv in front of billions, his movie announced as the wrong winner, him trying to set things whilst making sure people dont think its a joke... totally unnecessary reaction :p

Jesus fucking Christ the US can't do anything right now without it turning into 50% race war and 50% plain old fiasco. I thought I saw Bernie Sanders up on the stage trying to grab an Oscar at one point. Everyone needs to watch more movies and love them all.

HardRojo

He actually handled it all pretty well, considering how fast it all was and the emotions involved. He had to gather around his crew to let them know what had happened, process the fact that they had not won, correct the mistake and keep his cool while making sure it all happened quickly.

yup, I agree.

the losers should not have been allowed to touch anything after it was clear that is was a mistake.

He disrespected Warren Beaty IMO, it wasn't Warren's fault

fuck that bald guy

Nah, fuck the people who humiliated the LLL team and made the Moonlight guys thought they lost only to get the award afterall. Horowitz was not in the wrong for his reaction.

We are on the same page, right? This was clearly manufactured for the event and ratings/viral videos. Brilliant for awards shows that know they're losing viewers.
This is the A.M.P.A.S we're talking here, not the WWE. They wouldn't make Warren Beatty look like a fool on stage in hopes of better ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom