• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

Bingo. The scene is about Seb's contradictions. He idolizes the origins of Jazz as a dynamic style, but refuses to embrace contemporary Jazz because he feels it's not in the spirit of Jazz. It's a massive character flaw, and once he moves past that he starts developing more as a character.

I don't think he ever moves past it. Both Emma's and Ryan's characters' compromises are a detour on their way to meeting their life's true ambitions.

Wanderer5

Sing, the live action short that won, is pretty damn good. Great premise that ended really well for the short time. Love the ending to it.

Are you seriously saying the La La Land producer didn't handle this well? Am I reading this right?

No, that's not what I'm saying:

Beatty & Dunaway head out on stage with the wrong envelope: Instead of the Best Picture envelope, they've grabbed one of the backup envelopes for Best Actress.

Beatty opens the envelope, and you can see him read it, realize it's for Best Actress, go back in the envelope for another card, doesn't see it there, starts to read the winner, stops again because it's OBVIOUSLY for Best Actress, gives it to Dunaway, who apparently thinks Beatty's just milking for laughs and straight away reads "La La Land" as the winner.

As Marc Platt is giving his acceptance speech, stage managers head out and show Jordan Horowitz and Fred Berger the real Best Picture envelope. Platt finishes his speech, motions for Berger to step to the mic. Berger declines at first, and then decides to give his acceptance speech, as Horowitz begins trying to get the Oscars for the Moonlight people.

Berger's speech winds down and ends with "We lost, by the way," at which point Horowitz takes over, tells the crew of Moonlight they actually won, reassures everyone he's not joking, invites them to come get their trophies, and snatches the envelope out of Beatty's hand to show Moonlight's rightful win to the audience.

Beatty then takes the mic and explains that he read the Best Actress card, and was confused, and that he wasn't milking for laughs.

Then the Moonlight crew gets their awards.

You almost wanna give him an Oscar for being one of the only producers in the building to handle a production going sideways.

The "him" in that last quote is referencing Horowitz, the guy who clarified everything for everyone and made sure the Moonlight crew got their awards.

LionPride

Banned
Ok bruh whatever you say...You should probably go back to another one of your numerous angry rants and arguments you have going on in this thred with others, while I add you to my ignore list.
Ain't even gonna address anything? Just gonna take your ball and go home? Bye Felicia

At least some Gibson lovers own up to they shit, you...couldn't even do that smh

Exactly ....dude knew a mistake had been made was embarrassed to be put in that position, pissed that Warren just didn't stop and ask someone when he saw envelope was wrong and want to make it right... watch it again and you can see the dude is trying to do the right thing as quickly and clearly as possible... anyone can see anything else baffles me unless you are looking to be offended by that dude

This, not to mention everyone else was taking their sweet ass time while he wanted the Moonlight cast to get some time to shine.

Scott FeinbergVerified account
‏@ScottFeinberg

"I got to thank my wife and kids...to accept an Oscar and...to present an Oscar, all within 10 minutes." -LLL producer @JEHorowitz to me

In addition to handling the Oscar transition like a champ, Horowitz is a pretty funny dude. I would be pounding an entire bottle of Jack in his shoes right now.

We are on the same page, right? This was clearly manufactured for the event and ratings/viral videos. Brilliant for awards shows that know they're losing viewers.

This is the dumbest kind of take we are going to have to deal with for the next few days. The Oscars don't need this kind of attention ( in fact, the people behind the awards probably feel they are way above this kind of attention and are horrified).

HardRojo

To be honest that was freaking rude

It wasn't deliberate for reasons explained above, it's totally acceptable imo, too much shit was still going on and so fast. Of course if you take that clip out of context it will simply look like someone snatching the card off rudely. Context is very important in this case.

Look at everyone out for blood looking for people to blame and criticize. The first producer snatched the card from the hands of Warren Beatty too meanly. The third producer was a dick for the acceptance speech and subsequent announcing that they lost. Beatty is an idiot for not saying there was a mistake, Dunnaway is a moron for not bothering to read the card for more than a second. The stagehands need to get fired. The two people with briefcases didn't do their job. Look at Ryan Gosling's body posture in this picture. Look at Damien Chazelle's unhappy face. I can't believe the Academy took away what should've been a great moment for Moonlight.

Human beings make mistakes. It's drama, and it's unfortunate, and there's comedy to be had (and already being had with it), but Christ, it was a mistake. Quit being so fucking critical of whoever you want to go all in on. Learn some fucking compassion and understand that the moment was filled to the brim with mixed emotions and confusion.

Be better.

Is that "way harsher" really? It looked shady. He didn't want to do it and then he did it anyway. "We lost, by the way." What's harsh about watching all that and going "was he just sorta hoping they'd let it rock?"

Because in your original post you were very clearly suggesting he was doing it to hog the spotlight for one more minute despite knowing he didn't win.

He does and you might even think Keith seems correct (he does), but then later on the film makes it clear we're supposed to dislike Keith and his perspective on art. Even if you're enjoying his music, every single escalation as he plays and each reaction shot of Emma Stone's character makes it clear we're supposed to be horrified by how much they're sell outs.

Stone is so repulsed by what she sees in that scene that she is actually pushed away from the stage physically. While the writing in the earlier scene allowed for some nuance in who you might agree with, the camerawork and editing in this performance leaves no doubt about who the film is saying is right.

In a scene where the film explains the history and origins of jazz, only white people speak in a room surrounded entirely by black people, and they never once mention blackness or jazz existing as a black art form.

That's super awkward and feels incredibly self-conscious.

Are you talking about the concert scene? Stone's character reacts that way because she sees Gosling's character going along with a musical style that he doesn't truly love. The film isn't making a statement on who is "right".

Oersted

BEST PICTURE
La La Land - Wrong

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea - Correct

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Emma Stone, La La Land - Correct

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight - Correct

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Viola Davis, Fences - Correct

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Zootopia - Correct

CINEMATOGRAPHY
La La Land - Correct

COSTUME DESIGN
Jackie - Wrong

DIRECTING
La La Land - Correct

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)
O.J.: Made in America - Correct

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)

No idea sadly

FILM EDITITING
Arrival - Wrong

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Land of Mine - Wrong

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Suicide Squad - Correct

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
La La Land - Correct

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
"City Of Stars" La La Land - Correct

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Arrival - Wrong

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
Blind Vaysha - Wrong

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

Once again sadly no idea

SOUND EDITING
Arrival - Correct

SOUND MIXING
Arrival - Wrong

VISUAL EFFECTS
The Jungle Book - Correct

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
Moonlight - Correct

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
La La Land - Wrong

Please note that this is not a should win list and I'm also not interested in making such a list. The quality in certain categories, particularly Animated Feature/Documentary/Cinematography is too high to pick a best one.

15 out of 22. Not too bad. Why I did not pick the Salesman is beyond me.

I think there's going to be a lot of nastiness about Moonlight's BP win, and unfortunately exacerbated by the massive cock up that happened. I don't believe there was any political factor going on with Moonlight winning, though

In terms of precursors, Moonlight winning might be an even bigger shock than Crash; this is the first time since 2001 that neither SAG nor DGA predicted the BP winner, and I'm sure there's other trends that have been bucked tonight. But the difference is that the four of the five last ceremonies have had a BP/BD split (admittedly, Argo was a special case), and that might just be the new reality of the Academy now. The voters, IMO, are more open to awarding different films now for the two biggest honors, and that sort of plays out when you look at the winners; Gravity, The Revenant, and La La Land were all far more showy and director oriented productions than 12 years, Spotlight, or Moonlight. It's pretty interesting if this ends up playing out for the foreseeable future and adds some more intrigue to the results.

Are you guys seriously defending him?

I mean, yeah yeah, stage pressure I know. He was probably very nervous. But that doesnt excuse him for being so rude. It wasnt Warren's fault. It wasnt anybody's fault there.

The way he took the envelope from Warren's hand was ridiculous, rude and stupid. No excuses.

So being embarrassed in front of not only your peers but in front of the whole world, that's not grounds for being even a tiny bit salty?

You are being wayyyyy to critical.

Ain't even gonna address anything? Just gonna take your ball and go home? Bye Felicia

At least some Gibson lovers own up to they shit, you...couldn't even do that smh

I like his movies, yes, i don't like that he' a racist piece of shit.. How old are you seriously?

"Take my ball" Who the fuck is "Felicia" I feel like I am arguing with a bratty teenager right now, if being an adult and walking away is me being "a Felicia, and taking my ball and going home" so be it child, bye.

Ithil

The producers for La La Land should get to work on a new and at least good film pronto, they'll get a BP win next time just from the voters feeling bad for them.

Are you talking about the concert scene? Stone's character reacts that way because she sees Gosling's character going along with a musical style that he doesn't truly love. The film isn't making a statement on who is "right".

Yea I have to agree. I took it as her not being horrified, but upset that he compromised so much on what he believed in. Also, she only learned to love Jazz through Seb, so it's kind of her being confused since he was playing something very different than all the music he loved.

Ashhong

the fact that it wasn't even mentioned is the problem.

Casey said he didn't know what to say when he got his speech, Then thanked Denzel for teaching him how to act. even this was apparently the first year they met? Just weird.

What? Are you kidding? He clearly meant he watched him as he grew up. Do you have a clip? I don't remember him saying that he taught him how to act

GunBR

You won the best movie award. Congrats
(2 minutes later)
Hey, look, you didn't won the best movie award and your dream is dead, so now you're gonna have to say this to millions of people around the world and leave the stage. Thanks

It's understandable that he's a little angry

Because in your original post you were very clearly suggesting he was doing it to hog the spotlight for one more minute despite knowing he didn't win.

And when someone told me maybe that he at least tried to wave it off, I said they were right. He did. He tried to wave it off, because he knew he didn't actually win the award he was holding.

But he still grabbed the mic anyway, though.

It was a weird, crazy, unprecedented situation.

Are you guys seriously defending him?

I mean, yeah yeah, stage pressure I know. He was probably very nervous. But that doesnt excuse him for being so rude. It wasnt Warren's fault. It wasnt anybody's fault there.

The way he took the envelope from Warren's hand was ridiculous, rude and stupid. No excuses.

There are at least five excuses.

MIMIC

Banned
Nah bruh, your words said keep politics and opinions outta movies because people were being rightfully upset at Mel "I hoped you get raped by a pack of niggers" Gibson. It's okay to like a piece of shit, but don't get upset when people don't like racist unapologetic cuntbags

He said this?! Holy fuck. Where the fuck have I been?

Klocker

This, not to mention everyone else was taking their sweet ass time while he wanted the Moonlight cast to get some time to shine.

yea you can clearly see on the guys face and from the words he clearly uses to describe that it goes to the Moonlight crew that he is pissed that Moonlight got robbed of that moment.

He wants to make it right as fast and clearly as possible.. warren was grazing on grass and TV clock was ticking down. Hell half the viewers probably turned off their TVs when they said "LaLa Land".

How people can not differentiate between someone wanting to right a wrong and being a rude Dick amazes me.

LionPride

Banned
I like his movies, yes, i don't like that he' a racist piece of shit.. How old are you seriously?

"Take my ball" Who the fuck is "Felicia" I feel like I am arguing with a bratty teenager right now, if being an adult and walking away is me being "a Felicia, and taking my ball and going home" so be it child, bye.
My entire issue runs with the fact you got upset at people being upset at Mel. Why? When people are reasonably upset at the fucker for being a piece of shit.

He said this?! Holy fuck. Where the fuck have I been?
No clue. He said it 7 years ago. Still no apology. At all. Just a "Eh it happens to the best of us right?" Basically

teiresias

I think there's going to be a lot of nastiness about Moonlight's BP win, and unfortunately exacerbated by the massive cock up that happened. I don't believe there was any political factor going on with Moonlight winning, though

In terms of precursors, Moonlight winning might be an even bigger shock than Crash; this is the first time since 2001 that neither SAG nor DGA predicted the BP winner, and I'm sure there's other trends that have been bucked tonight. But the difference is that the four of the five last ceremonies have had a BP/BD split (admittedly, Argo was a special case), and that might just be the new reality of the Academy now. The voters, IMO, are more open to awarding different films now for the two biggest honors, and that sort of plays out when you look at the winners; Gravity, The Revenant, and La La Land were all far more showy and director oriented productions than 12 years, Spotlight, or Moonlight. It's pretty interesting if this ends up playing out for the foreseeable future and adds some more intrigue to the results.

I think it really just boils down to the modern academy voters awarding directing along more technical lines recently rather than a "direction of actors and story" line.

Floridian

15 out of 22. Not too bad. Why I did not pick the Salesman is beyond me.

The Salesman was missing from the list I copy/pasted from The Oscar's official site for some reason so I was unaware of its presence until they announced it during the show. Edited it in late.

animation29cs2t.gif

It's so intense in gif form. like, get your crazy elbow out of Warren Beatty's face, dawg. He blew the lid off of Watergate. Or Robert Redford did. The 70's were a while ago.

duckroll

You won the best movie award. Congrats
(2 minutes later)
Hey, look, you didn't won the best movie award and your dream is dead, so now you're gonna have to say this to millions of people around the world and leave the stage. Thanks

It's understandable that he's a little angry

He doesn't even look angry that he didn't win. He looked really angry that everyone was put in this situation to begin with, which is truly absurd, and no one on the production end was taking responsibility to own the moment and fix it. They were just left on the stage with no direction. It's nonsense. He did what he had to do. He was trying the make the best of the situation without adding further embarrassment for the real winners as well as his own team.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I just find the negative responses about Horowitz interesting. Like human beings are supposed to be these perfect machines in all situations. Yes it was rude but there is a context here that I think makes it excusable. I do hope he apologized after it but I would understand completely.

mjp2417

Banned
This is the dumbest kind of take we are going to have to deal with for the next few days. The Oscars don't need this kind of attention ( in fact, the people behind the awards probably feel they are way above this kind of attention and are horrified).

To be fair, that guy just has an obviously silly but fairly anodyne conspiracy theory.
A movie about gay negroes just upset a nearly all white movie in the most bizarre and unprecedented fashion. I shudder to think how Trumpland's army of fragile, racist white people will react to this.

Window

All things aside, Moonlight is probably one of the best Best Picture winners that the Oscars have chosen in their history.

And when someone told me maybe that he at least tried to wave it off, I said they were right. He did. He tried to wave it off, because he knew he didn't actually win the award he was holding.

But he still grabbed the mic anyway, though.

It was a weird, crazy, unprecedented situation.

Then just say you're walking back your original allegation instead of talking about "clarifying" and "just LOOKS shady" instead.

Korey

I have no problem with the second producer. He filled time while the people behind him confirmed what was going on.

There's no need to "fill time". The only need is for them to get the fuck off the stage as quickly as possible so that the Moonlight people have their moment to shine.

Instead, that second producers goes up knowing they lost and thanks his family for five minutes and then says "we lost btw"

Future

yea you can clearly see on the guys face and from the words he clearly uses to describe that it goes to the Moonlight crew that he is pissed that Moonlight got robbed of that moment.

He wants to make it right as fast and clearly as possible.. warren was grazing on grass and TV clock was ticking down. Hell half the viewers probably turned off their TVs when they said "LaLa Land".

How people can not differentiate between someone wanting to right a wrong and being a rude Dick amazes me.

Watching the vid it's even clearer. When he says moonlight won, the crowd and everyone clearly is barely registering it. He grabs the card to ensure everyone knows he's not fucking with anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom