• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the absolute chaos of this thread I must point out (though it has to have been already pointed out) Oscar winning Suicide Squad. How many Oscars did marvel win this year? Talent always wins.

David Ayer after receiving a package from Warner Bros.
giphy.gif

C4Lukins

This doesn't register as rude, it registers as "let me set this shit straight while you and Kimmel fart around leaving the actual winners only ten seconds to speak," then of course Beatty and Kimmel proceed to make the next two minutes about themselves anyway instead of just getting the Moonlight team up to the mic.

No not at all.

Beatty tried to explain the situation as best he could while one giant group of people replaced another. Also Beatty was aware enough to know something was wrong. He just handled it poorly by handing it over to Dunaway who immediately just read the name of the movie.

The situation needed an explanation. And then the Moonlight people got a good couple of minutes to speek. And throughout all of this, Kimmel handled himself well. He then closed out the show while semi taking responsibility for it all, which he had nothing to do with.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm a huge DC fan but no, just no.
Look at the facts, people thought suicide squad would bomb, it makes a respectful amount. Gets nominated for an Oscar wins said Oscar. No marvel movies what so ever win an Oscar.

Respect must be given and non belevers must hold this L

Kinyou

btw. part of me is a little sad that it wasn't Manchester by the Sea that falsely won, because then we would have had Kimmel take Damon's oscar away.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Look at the facts, people suicide squad would bomb, hope it made a respectful amount. Gets nominated for an Oscar wins said Oscar. No marvel movies what so ever win an Oscar.

Respect must be given and non belevers must hold this L

I can't tell if this is a joke post.

Jordan Horowitz is a hero.

Dude clearly wasn't angry or trying to be rude to Beatty, he just wanted to quickly make sure people knew this wasn't a joke. it seemed like his priority was to shift attention rightfully towards Moonlight, which, all things considered, was pretty cool of him.

He doesn't even look angry that he didn't win. He looked really angry that everyone was put in this situation to begin with, which is truly absurd, and no one on the production end was taking responsibility to own the moment and fix it. They were just left on the stage with no direction. It's nonsense. He did what he had to do. He was trying the make the best of the situation without adding further embarrassment for the real winners as well as his own team.

Honestly, I thought for second there he was part of the Oscars, like he was part of the crew and he was trying to contain the fuck up of his own show. Didn't realize he was actually the "recipient" of the award... All things considered, the dude did a splendid job, maybe if he was less nervous and less forceful yank at the envelope from the hands of a legend, things would've been smoother?? sure... but I ain't even mad

Korey

Problem is no one was doing anything so it wasn't going to get the Moonlight people up there any faster. Everyone seemed to be just standing around waiting for the Oscar producers to make a call or provide some direction that never came... Luckily, Jordan Horowitz took control of the situation but I wouldnt fault anyone else for making a bad decision in such a moment since its unfair they were in that position to begin with.

Jordan Horowitz is the only hero in this whole situation. Everyone else fucked up.

Here are my ratings:

8f5nUS0.jpg

Jordan Horowitz (5 stars):
Hero, wanted Moonlight people to get up asap. Took control when everyone else was just fucking around and his co-producer had the audacity to give a thank you speech.

Warren Beatty (0 stars):
Knew something was wrong, but didn't have the presence of mind to call a producer. Possibly because he's old. Then spends all this time explaining himself instead of giving Moonlight people the attention.

Jimmy Kimmel (0 stars):
Suggests LLL people should keep Oscar, spends an hour joking, hemming and hawing over the mistake instead of giving Moonlight people the attention.

Faye Dunaway (-1 stars):
Didn't read the card and blurted out the first thing she saw. Maybe your co-presenter isn't fucking around and there's a legitimate issue?

Fred Berger (-34 stars):
Worst of the worst. Knows he lost, gives thank you speech anyway​

Daffy Duck

Just woke up to see this, hah oh boy what a goof.

That director guy took the bull by the horns.

I'm sure Faye just blurted it out instead of reading it like Warren did as he obviously saw it was wrong but she didn't process it and boom.

MIMIC

Banned
Just woke up to see this, hah oh boy what a goof.

That director guy took the bull by the horns.

I'm sure Faye just blurted it out instead of reading it like Warren did as he obviously saw it was wrong but she didn't process it and boom.

"I gave you the card to see why I'm confused, not to fucking READ IT OUT LOUD!"

Oersted

Suicide Squad won as many Oscars as Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Terrence Malick, Darren Aronofsky, Jean Luc Godard, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Sergio Leno and Fritz Lang combined.

And no, Lifetime Awards never count.

Jordan Horowitz is the only hero in this whole situation. Everyone else fucked up.

Here are my ratings:

Jordan Horowitz (5��):
Hero, wanted Moonlight people to get up asap. Took control when everyone else was just fucking around and his co-producer had the audacity to give a thank you speech.

Warren Beatty (0��):
Knew something was wrong, but didn't have the presence of mind to call a producer. Possibly because he's old. Then spends all this time explaining himself instead of giving Moonlight people the attention.

Jimmy Kimmel (0��):
Suggests LLL people should keep Oscar, spends an hour joking, hemming and hawing over the mistake instead of giving Moonlight people the attention.

Faye Dunaway (-1��):
Didn't read the card and blurted out the first thing she saw. Maybe your co-presenter isn't fucking around and there's a legitimate issue?

Fred Berger (-34��):

What the hell is wrong with Faye? She (and everyone else) thought that he was just being cute, and he literally handed it to her. If he had a legitimate issue, it's reasonable to suspect he'd voice it instead of flail around. Seems like an ideal time to just blurt out what you see.

This thread is crazy town of harsh judgement.

Here are my ratings:

Jordan Horowitz (5🌟):

Warren Beatty (0🌟):

Jimmy Kimmel (0🌟):

Faye Dunaway (-1🌟):

Fred Berger (-34🌟):

lol Faye Dunaway is the bad guy, even though her crime is reading a few words off a card that Warren Beatty desperately thrust at her.

Suicide Squad won as many Oscars as Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Terrence Malick, Darren Aronofsky, Jean Luc Godard, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Sergio Leno and Fritz Lang combined.

man this outrage is absurd. it's a makeup oscar, which is rightly deserved.

if a piece of crap has good visual effects or makeup or costumes or whatever then why not award it.

Jungle Book has more awards than Gary Oldman :3

abrack08

Video of Emma Stone explaining how she had the best actress card the whole time.
https://twitter.com/manamitru/status/836091164453404672?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I love her.

She seems kinda pissed, though would be hard to blame her. It also seems like she's implying it's not true that Beatty had the best actress card? I thought someone zoomed in on it in his hand and you could actually see it said "best lead actress" on the envelope? Most likely explanation is that there were 2 cards for whatever reason, not that somebody is lying.

Ashhong

Here are my ratings:

8f5nUS0.jpg

Warren Beatty (0 stars):

Jimmy Kimmel (0 stars):

Faye Dunaway (-1 stars):

Fred Berger (-34 stars):

Is this a serious post? My god. Jimmy did the best he could. This team just got some extremely terrible news and he was trying to make them feel better. He didn't say to keep Moonlights oscar, he said he wished everyone could get one.

Shame on him for making the losers feel better

Socreges

Banned
"I gave you the card to see why I'm confused, not to fucking READ IT OUT LOUD!"
But...thats exactly what he did by going so far as to say

And the Academy Award
For Best Picture
*hands over card*

Honestly, don't blame Faye. Don't blame Beatty. Don't blame bald dude for being harsh in a difficult situation. Blame shitty organization that made this possible.

Here are my ratings:

8f5nUS0.jpg

Warren Beatty (0 stars):

Jimmy Kimmel (0 stars):

Faye Dunaway (-1 stars):

Fred Berger (-34 stars):

I don't know if you're just being cheeky, but let's try to cut out the whole armchair quarterbacking on what people should and shouldn't have done in the middle of an unprecedented fuckup in front of millions of people in a show broadcast live worldwide.

EDIT: That also goes to me. I said Horowitz was being too rude for snatching the card from Warren, but he was clearly just trying to get the Moonlight crew up on stage as soon as possible to let them have their moment of celebration.

duckroll

What the hell is wrong with Faye? She (and everyone else) thought that he was just being cute, and he literally handed it to her. If he had a legitimate issue, it's reasonable to suspect he'd voice it instead of flail around. Seems like an ideal time to just blurt out what you see.

This thread is crazy town of harsh judgement.

I don't really blame Faye because she's really just there to present and not to apply quick thinking skills when stuff goes wrong, especially when it's been a loooooooong night. BUT let's be honest. It's fucking hilarious that she so blatantly missed the cue and just read it out immediately. It's comically tragic.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

if a piece of crap has good visual effects or makeup or costumes or whatever then why not award it.

Personally thought Trek deserved it a little more mainly because the make-up for SS really didn't feel like it went out of its way to do anything apart from Croc both technical and design-wise.

That being said, I thought we were all just fucking around on getting upset over that win. This shit is not worth getting worked up over whatsoever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She seems kinda pissed, though would be hard to blame her. It also seems like she's implying it's not true that Beatty had the best actress card? I thought someone zoomed in on it in his hand and you could actually see it said "best lead actress" on the envelope? Most likely explanation is that there were 2 cards for whatever reason, not that somebody is lying.
Yes, there are two people each carrying a set of cards to hand out to presenters.

Chinner

Banned
It's all a gigantic conspiracy, don't you see? The reverse vampires are in collaboration with the rand organisation who have insisted that the Oscars should be given to Moonlight.

Kinyou

There's apparently a backup card, so there are two best actress cards. She probably mentioned it because it only added to the confusion that she was holding the same card in her hands.

wandering

Banned

No one uses Oscars as a measure of cinematic greatness. Kurosawa never won an Oscar, neither has Lynch.

LionPride

Banned
Like when you blew your stack on me for calling michael vick a scumbag?
I got upset for a lot of different reasons if you wanna bring it up. Mainly because white people have treated Vick like he's still a pos despite doing something that Mel has never done for saying he hoped someone got raped by a pack of niggers, apologizing and atoning.

But that's a different subject entirely.

Question to those who are blaming the incompetence on Beatty (not many here) and those who are blaming Dunaway for the fuck up...

If you were in her position, or Warren's ...You are given the responsibility to announce the Best Picture Oscar with a "legit" envelope in your hand ... You open the envelope, things look a bit off, as in there is a single actress' name along with one of the Movie titles in your (Best Picture) category... You got literally millions of people watching you around the world on TV and a couple of hundred or so in a theater staring at you live!

1) Would you take an executive decision, halt the show and look off stage and say this envelope doesn't seem right..
2) Would you just go with whatever is there and announce the first movie title you see inside the envelope?

You gotta have balls of steel and confidence size of the moon, to take initiative and go with option 1 in my opinion, it's almost impossible, almost...

ppfff at that rating

fuck Jordan Horowitz for being so angry and trying to look like "the good guy" for handing over the oscar to Moonlight personally, that's not his job to so.

calm down, chill, get off the stage

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
There's zero excuse here. The guy on the right KNEW. Meh. Feel really bad for the first guy though. :(

Yep. Jerk on the right knew well before giving his speech. That's a really really shit thing to do. Then to have the Gaul to have shitty attitude of

"We lost by the way though, but, you know"

What a classless jerk.

Korey

There are two cards each. She didn't know this when giving the interview.

I don't really blame Faye because she's really just there to present and not to apply quick thinking skills when stuff goes wrong, especially when it's been a loooooooong night. BUT let's be honest. It's fucking hilarious that she so blatantly missed the cue and just read it out immediately. It's comically tragic.

Poor thing :(

But yes, it's funny.

Oersted

Jungle Book has more awards than Gary Oldman :3

I do disagree with the Jungle Book and Suicide Squad wins, however I'm not outraged. I'm amused because in this categories the winners are always extremely predictable. With the list I simply wanted to add some humor,so please forgive me for leaving a completely wrong impression.

teiresias

ppfff at that rating

fuck Jordan Horowitz for being so angry and trying to look like "the good guy" for handing over the oscar to Moonlight personally, that's not his job to so.

The production team of the actual awards show was completely incognito and not taking charge of shit.

Really a complete shit show of incompetence by the Oscar producers.

stupei

The only logical response is to say "this isn't the right envelope," not to guess that you might get best picture right.

ppfff at that rating

He said that in direct response to Kimmel joking that he should keep it, which he rightfully understood to be disrespectful to the real winners. He was just stating emphatically that the award would go to Moonlight while trying to emphasize he held no ill will toward the winners. Nothing wrong with that.

ah shit my bad. it's hard to tell sometimes if its being taken too seriously, especially when it comes to these comic brands.

for instance all the nerd blogs are crying about it as we speak.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No one uses Oscars as a measure of cinematic greatness. Kurosawa never won an Oscar, neither has Lynch.
Some people do, that's why studios shout it from the hill tops in advertising. As far as any superhero movie in the year Suicide Squad was the only movie the Academy deemed worthy of winning a category.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I got upset for a lot of different reasons if you wanna bring it up. Mainly because white people have treated Vick like he's still a pos despite doing something that Mel has never done for saying he hoped someone got raped by a pack of niggers, apologizing and atoning.

But that's a different subject entirely.

I think it's bizarre that you think the reason people hate Vick is because of race. Using racial slurs vs. torturing and murdering animals. Both of them have "apologized". I think they're both trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom