• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

Trilobit

Gold Member
This is 100 years before TPM. The High Republic was a time when the Jedi weren't like what they were in the Prequels, but this is at the tail end of that era and their decline has to start somewhere.. Hell, the first scene on Coruscant in the show is Vernestra trying to cover up a murder just because it makes the optics look bad to the politicians.

At some point we need to see jedis actually being competent and good as an organization. At this point what with the Disney trilogy, the prequels and now The Acolyte it seems like they have always been crappy.

Whenever I rewatch A New Hope I'm struck by its wonderful idealism. It fills me with an optimism few movies do. I like how Kenobi has an aura of wisdom about him and how Luke starts to believe in himself with his help. Those things are some of the core parts of Star Wars which the prequels sadly ditched.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
At some point we need to see jedis actually being competent and good as an organization. At this point what with the Disney trilogy, the prequels and now The Acolyte it seems like they have always been crappy.

Whenever I rewatch A New Hope I'm struck by its wonderful idealism. It fills me with an optimism few movies do. I like how Kenobi has an aura of wisdom about him and how Luke starts to believe in himself with his help. Those things are some of the core parts of Star Wars which the prequels sadly ditched.

I think when any organization made up of flawed individuals has been in a position of power for too long, even with the best of ideals and intentions, they're destined to fall apart or be subject to exploitation. ESPECIALLY if they are rigid and unchanging in the way they do things.

Trilobit

Gold Member
I think when any organization made up of flawed individuals has been in a position of power for too long, even with the best of ideals and intentions, they're destined to fall apart or be subject to exploitation. ESPECIALLY if they are rigid and unchanging in the way they do things.

Dogmas are easily created in such environments. Perhaps we need to get a movie in the Old Republic era or whenever the jedis were reasonable people. I'm getting a bit tired about the bashing of them considering how they were portrayed in the original trilogy.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
So I am rewatching this episode. The writers I feel did good in reminding the viewers that the Sith are a terrifying threat and much more powerful than any single Jedi. But I don't they stuck the landing.

Like the Stranger is practically Palpatine levels, but he also comes off as corny. Maybe it's just me.

Edit: there is def some horrible things going here

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

What a weird article. Claims good news, but then:

For the past few weeks, we’ve been monitoring viewer data closely. Initially, ‘The Acolyte’ showed strong numbers just slightly below last year’s ‘Ahsoka.’ However, over the past two weeks, there has been a decline in “minutes watched,” with a drop of 31% followed by an 11% decrease. These statistics come from Luminate.

While some of this decline can be attributed to shorter episodes, recent episodes have been of similar duration. Therefore, the decrease is likely indicative of a slight waning interest in the show.

‘The Acolyte’ showed remarkable success, outperforming the average top 100 TV show by a factor of 6, which is a significant achievement. It was only surpassed by ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi,’ which outperformed by a factor of 8. However, despite these high scores, there’s a discrepancy with Luminate’s data showing a sharp decline in minutes watched.

Obama Reaction GIF

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is some company measuring “engagement” which wouldn’t be surprising if it was high.

The same article notes that this show started behind Ahsoka and has dropped fairly significantly since from another data source measuring solely viewers.

IntentionalPun

Anyways I dislike this show because I think both the writing and acting are bad. Not all Star Wars media is like that but a lot of it is. I don’t like most of that stuff lol

This show also just doesn’t have a cool vibe like for instance I think Mandalorian does. The only cool thing about this show is Darth Grinious.

I’ll keep watching for him though, just curious how it turns out. I’m not into Star Wars lore, dont care how many minorities are in a show, and certainly don’t care about lesbian witches. That is hardly some new “woke” thing, witches having lesbianism intertwined is as old as witch stories.

In the end it’s just kind of boring, but the episodes are short, can literally finish one while I do my stretching / warmup before I get all buff.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's called trying to sell a shit sandwich
Yeah, that article is just trash, reporting on trash metrics from other sources. I think it is trying to say that Acolyte is second only to Ahsoka for viewers? Well, hate to break it to ANYONE but only Mando got any real penetration for Star Wars and generate any merch, even obi-wan was in the shadow of that show, though of course mando was a while ago before there were some of these metrics to be compared. But I can show a pic of mando and grogu to ANYONE on the street and get a positive response, ain't no one know anyone from Acolyte or ahsoka (other than, didn't she give baby yoda to luke?)

Disney knows EXACLY the numbers, they presumably have the server feeds that show which accounts access each show, when they pause, stop, rewind, which accounts watch the show immediatly on drop, which ones rewatch the show over and over, and how many accounts watched part of 1 ep and never another second. So they don't need these "analytics reports", they have clean data. Trying to measure "engagement" sounds like a PR company struggling to sell news, I bet it's mostly predicated on how quickly a show is watched from release or how much it is watched versus other shows deemed "competitors".

At this point Lucasarts just needs to split the Star Wars production into a straight "Bridgerton" clone full of female empowerment , love triangles, men constantly admitting they were wrong, the force as a menstruation analogy, all that stuff, but on a shoestring budget and then let the rest of it be classic star wars for the real audience.

IntentionalPun

J jason10mm : it is actually saying that only Obi-Wan outdid that one companies “engagement” tracking.

The Ahsoka thing is from a different tracking company that is just focused on views.

Funny 2 of the most hated Star Wars things ever track the highest…. Gonna take a wild guess and say their metric is interpreting people talking shit as engagement lol

BadBurger

Really good episode. I like where things are going - things are being telegraphed pretty damned heavily. Manny Jacinto is going to get a lot more work after this.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Really good episode. I like where things are going - things are being telegraphed pretty damned heavily. Manny Jacinto is going to get a lot more work after this.
Confirmed that Sith aren’t even in the Jedi’s mind. They just think a Jedi has gone rogue. Those people crying about Ki-Ad-Mundi and “breaking canon” look like even bigger fucking idiots.

Qimir is probably Vernestra’s former Padawan.

AJUMP23

Back to garbage.

Bad is good good is bad let’s kill Star Wars with a stupid mask.

This show is slow, and boring and poorly written.

BadBurger

probably Vernestra’s former Padawan.

That seems to be the case, and he thinks she betrayed him (that whip shaped wound) although I get the feeling it was justified. because the guys is a proper villain through and through

Sol immediately changing his plans when he found out it was Mae, and then choosing to come clean to her and have the heart to heart he never had with Osha reveals that he feels more guilt over Mae than his former padawan. I am guessing it was because he truly did think that he accidentally killed Mae, and took on Osha as a padawan as a kind of penance. This is a guy who cares deeply for others, displayed by the director lingering on his anguish for a long time for a 60-ish (edit: I meant 30-ish) minute show.

The allusion with Osha putting on the helmet, the heavy Vader breathing, and then it fades to complete dark was right on the nose.

The only thing that throws me is Vernestra's line of "something to tip the scales". What scales? Does she secretly know of the Sith working with some rival political faction or something? I admit I zoned out on all of her political-related scenes.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Decent episode. Kind of obvious where it’s going though. That green chick is bad, man. Throwing Sol under the bus knowing it’s actually her old Padawan killing everyone.

Could be a red herring I guess, but she’s conveniently leading them in a direction away from it being a sith plus dude looked to have whip marks.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The only thing that throws me is Vernestra's line of "something to tip the scales". What scales? Does she secretly know of the Sith working with some rival political faction or something? I admit I zoned out on all of her political-related scenes.
She’s fighting with an ambitious senator who wants to disband the Jedi. If she can show a Jedi can go rogue and the Jedi are needed to police them, then that’s something that can tip the scales on her favor.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
She’s fighting with an ambitious senator who wants to disband the Jedi. If she can show a Jedi can go rogue and the Jedi are needed to police them, then that’s something that can tip the scales on her favor.
I dunno, an argument that "we need cops because when a cop starts killing cops only cops can stop the cop from killing cops" isn't gonna make me loosen the tax pursestrings.

Though now that I think about is, a jedi version of Internal Affairs and a mcarthy-esque witchhunt might be cool.

If they didn't think they had purged themselves 1000 years ago, of course.

Last edited:
Confirmed that Sith aren’t even in the Jedi’s mind. They just think a Jedi has gone rogue. Those people crying about Ki-Ad-Mundi and “breaking canon” look like even bigger fucking idiots.
Did they bring up the Nihil you were theorizing about? Or are you just as "fucking idiotic" as everyone else interpreting that scene?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Did they bring up the Nihil you were theorizing about? Or are you just as "fucking idiotic" as everyone else interpreting that scene?
It’s a rogue Jedi. Which people here dismissed and randomly inserted Sith into the scene. This episode confirmed that was what they were worried about. Not Sith. The “something worse” is an idea of one of their own (a former Padawan) gone rogue and killing people.

It’s a rogue Jedi. Which people here dismissed and randomly inserted Sith into the scene. This episode confirmed that was what they were worried about. Not Sith. The “something worse” is an idea of one of their own (a former Padawan) gone rogue and killing people.
You "randomly inserted" the Nihil yourself. That's why I asked what makes your different from anyone else "randomly inserting" things to interpret a scene. Perhaps you could answer that question?

Also, no one dismissed anything. You should really read what people actually write, rather than arguing against whatever you dreamed up yourself.

Top Bottom