• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Aladdin controversy Disney can't escape

Metroxed

Well, Spain was under Muslim rule for centuries.

Ehm... what? Spaniards are not Latino and they being under Muslim rule is meaningless given that Christian-Muslim intermixing was minimal due to religious reasons (it meant conversion, which was not done as easily back then as it is today).

Still, that's irrelevant to the conversation, because Spaniards are not Latino (they are Latin Europeans, like French people or Italians, but that's a different thing altogether).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not being able to sing didn't stop Russell Crowe and Pierce Brosnan from getting roles in musicals.

They are just raising the bar higher than they ever would if they were casting a white actor. Zac Efron would already be locked in and getting his costume fitted if this film were being made 5 years ago.

EGM1966

The casting on this one has so much potential to bite them in the ass if they get it wrong.

Let's see how they fare.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
In near asian and middle eastern media, they promote more white features and lighter skin for their media.

What does this say about the media culture in those areas?

Yeoman

In near asian and middle eastern media, they promote more white features and lighter skin for their media.

What does this post mean? What are "white features"?
Before you answer this understand that the Near East is significantly more genetically diverse than Europe.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

That it's the same as everywhere else? Wrong-headed adoration of lighter-skinned people is both race and class based. The historical notion that peasants who toil in the sun-drenched fields will have a darker complexion compared to the gentry, is still firmly entrenched across all parts of the globe.

oti

Banned
Ok so we've got people in this very thread dismissing Gadot though lol. Plus, she played an Israeli in fast and furious, and an Amazon in Wonder Women. Where are the Amazonians whose role she stole? :p

Isn't Wonder Woman Greek? Amazonian's were Greek.

Yo are they claiming it's hard to find a dancing and singing Indian!? Lmao
Who must also be good at acting..
I might be unlucky, but the few Bollywood films I watched had some bad acting..
I mean, people would grill an actor doing this bad in any Hollywood production....

Except his land is governed by a Sultan and the inhabitants all happen to be Muslims. But sure, he is "Chinese".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hui_people

The Aladdin story is actually set in China, in one of the border regions that intersected with the muslims along the silk road.

No Arabic source has been traced for the tale, which was incorporated into the book Les Mille et Une Nuits by its French translator, Antoine Galland, who heard it from a Syrian storyteller from Aleppo. Galland's diary (March 25, 1709) records that he met the Maronite scholar, by name Youhenna Diab ("Hanna"), who had been brought from Aleppo to Paris by Paul Lucas, a celebrated French traveller. Galland's diary also tells that his translation of "Aladdin" was made in the winter of 1709–10. It was included in his volumes ix and x of the Nights, published in 1710.

John Payne, in Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp and Other Stories (London 1901), gives details of Galland's encounter with the man he referred to as "Hanna" and the discovery in the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris of two Arabic manuscripts containing Aladdin (with two more of the "interpolated" tales). One was written by a Syrian Christian priest living in Paris, named Dionysios Shawish, alias Dom Denis Chavis. The other is supposed to be a copy Mikhail Sabbagh made of a manuscript written in Baghdad in 1703. It was purchased by the Bibliothèque Nationale at the end of the nineteenth century. However, modern scholars such as Muhsin Mahdi[2] and Husain Haddawy[3] claim that both manuscripts are forgeries—"back-translations" of Galland's text into Arabic.

The opening sentences of the story, in both the Galland and the Burton versions, set it in China and imply, at least, that Aladdin is Chinese.[4] On the other hand, there is practically nothing in the rest of the story that is inconsistent with a Persian or Arabian setting. For instance, the Sultan is referred to as such rather being called the "Emperor", as in some re-tellings, and the people we meet in the story are Muslims: their conversation is larded with devout Muslim platitudes. A Jewish merchant buys Aladdin's wares (and incidentally cheats him), but there is no mention of Buddhists or Confucians (or other distinctively Han Chinese people).

China's ethnic makeup has long included Muslim groups, including large populations of the Hui people whose origins go back to Silk Road travellers. In addition, large communities of Muslim Chinese have been known since the Tang Dynasty, as well as Jewish communities. Some commentators have even suggested that the story might be set in Turkestan (encompassing Central Asia and the modern Chinese province of Xinjiang).[5]

For all this, speculation about a "real" Chinese setting depends on a knowledge of China that the teller of a folk tale (as opposed to a geographic expert) might well not possess.[6]

MilkBeard

Yeah I read today he's very likely the pick.

A pic for reference.
entertainment-tv-2012-10-00-Avan.jpg

This guy even has the doey eyes. Sign him up, lol

Number_6

But what's the point if that Arab person looks like a White person? Hollywood would love that, because to them it's no different than casting a White actor that they can pretend and say they're being diverse.

But there's more than enough, some might say too much, White representation in Hollywood films. White looking Middle Easterns aren't getting harassed or racially profiled, nor do they look like the Disney depictions of Aladdin and Jasmine.

You might as well cast a White person then, right?

Except, in this day and age, you can simply google someone and find out their ethnicity. So no.

Some article is saying Siddarth Gupta has been cast and Will smith is the Genie?

probably false right?

also, Dev Patel or Riz Ahmed would be good. dont know how its a "struggle" as both are amazing actors.

(edit: yea seems false)

Except, in this day and age, you can simply google someone and find out their ethnicity. So no.

Ok and? I'm certain they'll get over it if he looks like the ethnicity he's portraying and is amazing singing, dancing, acting.

Some article is saying Siddarth Gupta has been cast and Will smith is the Genie?

probably false right?

also, Dev Patel or Riz Ahmed would be good. dont know how its a "struggle" as both are amazing actors.

(edit: yea seems false)

Will Smith is the only person that has officially been cast.

Supposedly both Dev Patel and Riz Ahmed were tested for the part.

m0dus

Banned
Meh why not. Are we gonna exclude persians from playing arabs too.

Because if you want to talk about underrepresented ethnicities in Hollywood, Arabs are right up there with having very little. Fuck, let's not forget the most recent Gods of Egypt travesty. Whitewashing isn't just casting white people to play an ethnic role - it's also lumping in other ethnicities as if they are interchangeable. It's ignorant and more than a little insulting.

Perhaps I'm being very strict in my interpretation here, but that's because it's one of the few Arab main characters in modern western media that isn't a terrorist - Aladdin (علاء الدين) is a traditionally Arabic name, certainly used in the context of this tale. You want to make Aghraba take place in India? I've no objections. But the diamond in the rough is is a 'rab.

(And I'll stress here that Arab does not equal Muslim in this context. That's a separate issue entirely. Hell, The Raid series protagonist is Muslim, which always gets overlooked when I see discussions of that film...)

I doubt Disney will decide to cast a white dude considering the popularity of Alladin, and I would believe if GitS got such backlash Alladin would be hell for Disney.

I will say it is some real bullshit they can't find someone. Like come on.

Because if you want to talk about underrepresented ethnicities in Hollywood, Arabs are right up there with having very little. Fuck, let's not forget the most recent Gods of Egypt travesty. Whitewashing isn't just casting white people to play an ethnic role - it's also lumping in other ethnicities as if they are interchangeable. It's ignorant and more than a little insulting.

(And I'll stress here that Arab does not equal Muslim in this context. That's a separate issue entirely. Hell, The Raid series protagonist is Muslim, which always gets overlooked when I see discussions of that film...)

So ethnicities should only be played their own ethnicity in films and TV?

That's an extremely broad generalization, but for the aforementioned Underrepresented ones, ideally, and absolutely.

Problem though is you're limiting that underrepresented ethnicity should he get cast as his own ethnicity on what future roles he/she can play in the future.

Joni

Problem though is you're limiting that underrepresented ethnicity should he get cast as his own ethnicity on what future roles he/she can play in the future.

For the majority of the roles, ethnicity shouldn't be too important though. A Japanese actor can just as well play normal doctor as he does Japanese doctor.

m0dus

Banned

No bud. This isn't going both ways. I'm not talking about not letting, say, a pale skinned Arab-American from the Midwest from playing a Caucasian role.

I'm saying underrepresented people should be considered for underrepresented roles. If the character is specifically or traditionally identified as, say, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Samoan, Pakistani, Arab, or Persian, that role should go to an actor of that ethnicity.

If the character is a Samoan, they should be played by one.
If the character is Japanese or of Japanese descent, they should be played by one. The talent is out there waiting to be discovered, and Hollywood is the worst for it by trying to play it safe.

Having at least SOME connection, ethnically and linguistically, should be of key consideration.

Edit-
It's the Ghost in the Shell, PoP, and Gods of Egypt issue all over again. The broader issue of whitewashing stands: there are excellent actors of all races that do not get consideration because the parts are given to a small subset of white actors trying to pass themselves off as those races.

And as one of those minorities, I do not feel it is appropriate to paint with a broad brush; brown people should not be considered interchangeable because they look 'dark' or 'foreign' enough. It's insulting and, frankly, dehumanizing.

But the ancient Egyptians were not Arabs, so you're kind of doing that right there?

m0dus

Banned
But the ancient Egyptians were not Arabs, so you're kind of doing that right there?

No dude. Gods of Egypt is just a more recent example of whitewashing in general, not specifically of Arab roles.

Gods of Egypt's cast should have looked like Black Panther's, if you want to be specific.

Gnub

How does this movie even work without Robin Williams? I don't think it's even worth watching without that Genie character.

If Will Smith is really going to be the genie then it doesn't matter who they cast in the other roles.

Why? Do you mean due to his star power, then can get unknowns for the rest of the cast? If so, then i agree and it's probably why they got Will Smith.

How does this movie even work without Robin Williams? I don't think it's even worth watching without that Genie character.

Will Smith is playing the Genie character.

Alo0oy

Banned

Ancient Egyptiants were Berbers, Semites, and modern day sub-saharan africans, they depicted themselves in their art from light brown all the way to black. Certainly not caucasion though.

Top Bottom