• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Aladdin controversy Disney can't escape

Budi

I would have thought that Avan Jogia would be the pick? He legit looks like animated Aladdin come to life...

Rumour is he sent in his tape. I expect him to be picked.
I have no idea who he is and checking the IMDB page it seems I haven't seen anything from him. But, going by the picture shared in the thread, yeah I could definitely imagine him playing the part. But as I said, I actually have no idea how he could perform in the part and just looking the part isn't enough. So personally I'd like Riz Ahmed, he's really talented dude but maybe even considered too old? Hopefully they can find someone talented who really fits (not white is a great start) the role of Aladdin. I'm kinda curious about this movie, loved the animated one and Jungle Book was pretty decent too.

Fuchsdh

I watched Star Trek 2 as a kid, so I never had a problem with his portrayal of Khan. But with NEW Star Trek 2, I was like what the fuck? Am I a hypocrite?

There's nothing wrong with The Wrath of Khan. It was continuity with a casting choice from the 1960s; Star Trek was incredibly progressive for its time in casting, but it was still product of its time, and if you were moderately swarthy you played basically every nonwhite ethnicity. I'm sure Montalban didn't mind much, given that was how he kept getting roles.

I honestly think a lot of the stupidity with Khan in Into Darkness was simply JJ Abrams wanting to "surprise" the audience. He swore up and down in pre-release interviews "Harrison" wasn't Khan, wasn't Khan, wasn't Khan—and yeah, he was Khan. Perhaps not that coincidentally, the movie's quality takes a nosedive right when Cumberbatch reveals that in the film. They got so wrapped up in ripping off TWOK and trying to surprise people they forgot to make a good standalone film. The tone-deaf casting was just the cherry on top, because even Cumberbatch couldn't save that film.

hirokazu

My guess is that they don’t want anyone with an overly strong accent. They may have the acting chops and the singing chops in India or th Middle East, but they’re probably having a hard time finding someone with both and a decent accent.

I'd be okay with him, but really? It's literally he's the only choice because our fov for casting choices is three people. Hollywood needs to do better.
But it seems that realistically that's not possible according to Disney. This is coming from a middle eastern guy lol.

It does to people who want to see their ethnicity represented.

My point is if you can't tell their ethnicity based on how they look, and you have to look it up to find out, does it really matter? Because they're ethnicity isn't being represented in a Disney Americanized Take of Aladdin that's spoken in English and sung in Broadway pop songs.

My point is if you can't tell their ethnicity based on how they look, and you have to look it up to find out, does it really matter? Because they're ethnicity isn't being represented in a Disney Americanized Take of Aladdin that's spoken in English and sung in Broadway pop songs.
For the most part, you can tell they're not Middle Eastern just looking at the name, which is featured in all promo material. Having some Indian dude look Middle Eastern doesn't really cut it when his name is Dev Patel or something.

For the most part, you can tell they're not Middle Eastern just looking at the name, which is featured in all promo material. Having some Indian dude look Middle Eastern doesn't really cut it when his name is Dev Patel or something.

What? They're real name doesn't matter, when they're going to play a character. That's the point of acting.

What? They're real name doesn't matter, when they're going to play a character. That's the point of acting.
Then we can just say the same about Jake Gyllenhaal, can't we? He's white but looks more Iranian than I do as a half Iranian guy, so him playing the Prince of Persia is fine because it's just acting and it's a fantasy version of the culture.

Then we can just say the same about Jake Gyllenhaal, can't we? He's white but looks more Iranian than I do as a half Iranian guy, so him playing the Prince of Persia is fine because it's just acting and it's a fantasy version of the culture.

So you would prefer them to cast a White guy that looks Arab, than an Indian that looks Arab if they can't find an actual Arab to play the role?

Ok, Fair enough.
giphy.gif

Not

Banned
I'll lay down $10.50 that there are at least a few actors who nailed it but their skin isn't light enough

ryseing

I would have thought that Avan Jogia would be the pick? He legit looks like animated Aladdin come to life...

Rumour is he sent in his tape. I expect him to be picked.

If he does get it it'll be worth noting that a shit Nick show launched one of the biggest pop stars in the world, Aladdin, and two quite decent actresses, one of whom is leading the Dynasty reboot.

Schneider sure can pick 'em.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What?
Lol
Why not? As an Israeli and a Semite, casting her makes loads more sense than casting an Indian actress.

That's about as ridiculous as Vinny Jones as Al and Madonna as Jasmine.

But you have the same problem with Indians playing Arab characters though right? Because I honestly don't see how you'd think Gadot as Jasmine is ridiculous, but not a Bollywood actress.

riotous

Banned
Aladdin was set in Asia... So... They should be Indian, not middle Eastern anyway.

Aladdin takes place in a fictional city described as being near the Jordan river. Agrabah was later revealed to be an anagram for Baghdad..

Neither Baghdad or the Jordan river are anywhere near India.

Heshinsi

Aladdin takes place in a fictional city described as being near the Jordan river. Agrabah was later revealed to be an anagram for Baghdad..

Neither Baghdad or the Jordan river are anywhere near India.
Are you sure man? Baghdad sounds foreign enough to be India to me. We only need to convince the average American that the person on screen fits with their mental idea of what an Arab looks like, and we're done. We're just doing the PC thing by casting brown people in Aladdin like you asked, and y'all have the gall to tell us we're casting the wrong ethnic groups. Y'all have funny accents and speak in foreign lingo, and red blooded Americans can't tell the difference anyways.

Side note, with the way Hindus and Sikhs are constantly attacked and mistaken for Arabs and Muslims, I can see way Hollywood also would interchange Indians/Pakistanis with Arabs and Middle Easterners. We're all the same to them. Fuck them.

Number_6

That thoroughly pissed me off! Especially since they establish right at the begining of the movie what an INDIAN person looks like. WTF!

IIRC, their excuse was that Khan underwent extensive plastic surgery or something so he could be hidden in plain sight as "John Harrison".

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Yeah like how the humans in Star Wars are aliens. China was just a setting to essentially make people realise the story took place far away. The people were muslim, had Arabic customs, etc. It had fuck all to do with China.

And how the fuck do you have all that figured out?

Are you sure man? Baghdad sounds foreign enough to be India to me. We only need to convince the average American that the person on screen fits with their mental idea of what an Arab looks like, and we're done. We're just doing the PC thing by casting brown people in Aladdin like you asked, and y'all have the gall to tell us we're casting the wrong ethnic groups. Y'all have funny accents and speak in foreign lingo, and red blooded Americans can't tell the difference anyways.

Side note, with the way Hindus and Sikhs are constantly attacked and mistaken for Arabs and Muslims, I can see way Hollywood also would interchange Indians/Pakistanis with Arabs and Middle Easterners. We're all the same to them. Fuck them.

But Hollywood interchanges British and/or American for each other, Russians, Italians, Australians, Irish, Scottish, French, Greek, African, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Latino, etc... and vice versa.

A Half Black Canadian, Half Polynesian played a Greek Hero.

Gal gadot is white

She is Israli.

This reminds me of when Prince of Persia became a controversy, yet here's a Persian.

p14371.jpg

Seems some people have a stereo typical view of what Middle Eastern or Arab people should look like, when they are a very diverse people color wise.

Not saying they should cast Zack Morris as Aladdin or anything, but trying to establish a ethnicity based on a Disney cartoon isn't the best way either.

Heshinsi

And how the fuck do you have all that figured out?
You're own Wikipedia link starts off by stating "...is a middle eastern folklore." Where do you think the Middle East is?
But Hollywood interchanges British and/or American for each other, Russians, Italians, Australians, Irish, Scottish, French, Greek, African, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Latino, etc... and vice versa.
Yes, and yet everyone of those ethnic groups (I honestly have never seen an Arab play a non Arab role in a Hollywood film, so I don't know why you've got Middle easterners there) have had actors from their own ethnic groups play parts written for that group in major Hollywood productions. What do Arabs have, playing second fiddle to Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven? Can you think of any other major Hollywood production that Arabs featured overwhelmingly in?

I very much doubt that if Hollywood was adaption a major Indian saga, Indians would be ok with Arabs and Persians being cast to play the roles.

Top Bottom