• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The amazing ending that Miyamoto asked Rare to put into Goldeneye

Bragr

Banned
Shigeru Miyamoto felt Goldeneye featured too much killing and was too tragic of a game. He faxed Rare and suggested an ending where James Bond would meet his enemies in the hospital and shake their hands.

God, I wished they did that. I came across an interview from 2015 with Martin Hollis, the game director. Some cool things I didn't know:

- Goldeneye cost 2 million to make, with a team of 10 people, for over 2 and a half years.
- The game was heavily inspired by Mario 64 which came out as they made Goldeneye, as a result, they made levels bigger and more open.
- Multiple objectives per level were inspired by Mario 64 as well.
- Goldeneye was initially more brutal, with gore "exploding out", they cut this back as it was "too much red".
- Rare was asked about making a new Bond game, but they refused. Hollis is surprised that Nintendo didn't push them further to make a new Bond game since Goldeneye was so big. He feels Nintendo respected them enough to not pressure them into doing what Nintendo wanted but let them make their own decisions.
- The credits scene where they feature the actors was put in the game to appease Miyamoto, to show that it's all just a game based on a movie and not real killing.
- In order to impress Nintendo, Rare made a Punch-Out demo for Genyo Takeda (punch-out director), who was very impressed. This led to a development deal.

Source:

giphy.gif

Beechos

Shigeru Miyamoto felt Goldeneye featured too much killing and was too tragic of a game. He faxed Rare and suggested an ending where James Bond would meet his enemies in the hospital and shake their hands.

God, I wished they did that. I came across an interview from 2015 with Martin Hollis, the game director. Some cool things I didn't know:

- Goldeneye cost 2 million to make, with a team of 10 people, for over 2 and a half years.
- The game was heavily inspired by Mario 64 which came out as they made Goldeneye, as a result, they made levels bigger and more open.
- Goldeneye was initially more brutal, with gore "exploding out", they cut this back as it was "too much red".
- Rare was asked about making a new Bond game, but they refused. Hollis is surprised that Nintendo didn't push them further to make a new Bond game since Goldeneye was so big. He feels Nintendo respected them enough to not pressure them into doing what Nintendo wanted but let them make their own decisions.
- The credits scene where they feature the actors was put in the game to appease Miyamoto, to show that it's all just a game based on a movie and not real killing.
- In order to impress Nintendo, Rare made a Punch-Out demo for Genyo Takeda (punch-out director), who was very impressed. This led to a development deal.

Source:

giphy.gif
Where is that clip from with the thumbs down and up. Looks like an snl episode lol.

A.Romero

I still remember as a kid looking at the back of the box and seeing the blood splatter only to find there wasn’t any in the game and thinking, “What the fuck?”

Nintendo games were disappointing in that sense back then. Not that gore is required for games to be good, it's just that in the mind of a kid games supposed to be "realistic" but they were missing these important parts.

To me the worst offender was Mortal Kombat. I was really expecting to see same stuff as in the arcades.

Luckily there are more options now so everyone can have what they like.

CS Lurker

For a while we had some gore, it was just a flipbook of about 40 textures, beautifully rendered gore that would explode out. When I saw it the first time, I thought it was awesome, it was a fountain of blood, like that moment in the Shining when the lift doors open.

Miyamoto would have loved that

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Miyamoto is forever a genius. Maybe the Mozart of videogames. But that doesn’t mean every idea he has is good. That idea sucks ass.

AREYOUOKAY?

Too much killing? It was gonna play like a Virtua Cop game until they changed it. You would have had dead bodies just about every second if it was kept like that.

Also he must have gotten that ending idea from Altered Beast.

Last edited:

NeptuneCL

Source:
[/URL]

giphy.gif
Wow, I like this:

Nintendo, somewhat, knows how to treat people and respect them for their talent and don´t push them to do anything they do not want to do. When Nintendo/Rareware split away I was (and I´m still) so dissapointed for Nintendo not to fight to buy them completely. How many wonderful games do we lost? Today Rare is nothing, just one more company to Microsoft and that's ok, but I think all the wonderful moments thay gave to us in the NES, SNES and N64 era and those games they could've done with Ninty. Too bad.

Great topic man, congrats.

Top Bottom