• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent |OT| As Above, So Below

Holy crap, this game. The art design and level of detail is godlike. It's like they took inspiration from all of the best French, Japanese, British and American cyberpunk art of the last 40 years and put it all in one game. And the raytracing on PC just takes it over the top. It's pretty ridiculous.

If this were a turn-based rpg it would be close to one of my ideal games, but as a shooter its pretty fun too once you start to upgrade stuff, and you can start sending enemies splattering. Throw in cool effects and destructible environments as well. I've never been a huge fan of top-down shooters, but I'll make an exception in this case.

It's pretty awesome that in the last year or so, most of the best-looking games I've played have been from smaller or indie studios. It's like the barrier to making incredible-looking games is coming down, and it's giving us a lot of stuff to enjoy while AAA studios are increasingly focused on live service dreck and open-world sludge. A Plague Tale, The Medium, Psychonauts 2, Kena Bridge of Spirits and now The Ascent - there aren't many better looking games out there. And they're all pretty good as complete packages too, better than most AAA games. It really bodes well for the future.

Bartski

Gold Member
Patch v 4.2.4.0 is live on Xbox.

RQdtB7G.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

PATCH #4 LIVE ON STEAM​

Also includes 2 new Tshirts and 10 new weapons skin!

NEW IN-GAME COSMETICS​

To thank everyone in the community for their continuous love and support since we launched The Ascent, we’ve also added
two new shirt skins and ten new weapon skins,
so get customising, and remember to share your new styles with us with Photo Mode!
Please note we'll keep working on Photo mode and improve it in future patches.

e7114b4269966b9a319d69f13fb26d3fce18bfb1.gif

• Greentooth (shirt skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Feed (shirt skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Greeny (weapon skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Junkyard (weapon skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Dark Tech (weapon skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Bubbles (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Dots 01 (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Gold (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Leo (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Pink (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Old Silver (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Old Faithful (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

f3509a97f9794221594cbbc5c5c7ce2575f22788.gif

The following summary covers the key areas we have addressed in this new Patch update for The Ascent.

This update is now live and available for The Ascent on Steam (deployed on October 28th). The same patch will also be landing on the Xbox family platforms shortly (Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft store). Thank you for your patience.

Performance (PC Steam and Windows 10 Game Pass):

• Fixed some instances of slow loading for Client Players when entering new areas in Online Coop.

Visuals (all platforms):

• Fixed some minor UI issues.

Stability (all platforms):

• Improved the stability when changing Xbox profiles during Online Coop games.

• Resolved an issue where there could be an indefinite load when four consoles are joining an Online Coop game.

• Fixed a rare softlock issue when taking the Central Shaft elevator.

• Fixed a crash that could occur in local Coop if the 2nd Player joins and leaves a lobby before selecting a profile.

• Fixed some instances where the game could crash for the Host when loading large areas of the game.

• Fixed a rare crash to the Xbox home screen during “Mutual Dependencies” (Mission 2) when in the ‘No Mans Land’ area.

• Fixed numerous disconnection related issues.

Save Progress (all platforms):

• Fixed an issue where some Xbox live online sessions were not closed properly and that could cause loss of progression.

Co-op (all platforms):

• Fixed some invite issues that could occur in Online Coop where some Players were unable to join.

Gameplay (all platforms):

• Fixed a bug where new augmentations were not being automatically equipped for the second Player.

Audio (all platforms):

• Fixed an issue experienced by some Xbox Players where cut-scene audio was of a low quality when reaching Pinnacle Tier during “Syntax Error” (Mission 8)

Translation (all platforms):

• Lots of translation fixes across all non-English languages.
  • Please note more fixes and improvements will come in future updates.

Misc. Fixes (all platforms):

• Minor collision fixes

Note on achievements (all platforms):

• We are investigating issues reported after the last Patch, with a view to having fixes in place for the next game update - thanks for your patience!

Punished Miku

Gold Member

PATCH #4 LIVE ON STEAM​

Also includes 2 new Tshirts and 10 new weapons skin!

NEW IN-GAME COSMETICS​

To thank everyone in the community for their continuous love and support since we launched The Ascent, we’ve also added
two new shirt skins and ten new weapon skins,
so get customising, and remember to share your new styles with us with Photo Mode!
Please note we'll keep working on Photo mode and improve it in future patches.

e7114b4269966b9a319d69f13fb26d3fce18bfb1.gif

• Greentooth (shirt skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Feed (shirt skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Greeny (weapon skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Junkyard (weapon skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Dark Tech (weapon skin): unlocked by default in the character creator

• Bubbles (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Dots 01 (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Gold (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Leo (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Pink (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Old Silver (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

• Old Faithful (weapon skin): can be found in loot drops (enemy drops or crates)

f3509a97f9794221594cbbc5c5c7ce2575f22788.gif

The following summary covers the key areas we have addressed in this new Patch update for The Ascent.

This update is now live and available for The Ascent on Steam (deployed on October 28th). The same patch will also be landing on the Xbox family platforms shortly (Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft store). Thank you for your patience.

Performance (PC Steam and Windows 10 Game Pass):

• Fixed some instances of slow loading for Client Players when entering new areas in Online Coop.

Visuals (all platforms):

• Fixed some minor UI issues.

Stability (all platforms):

• Improved the stability when changing Xbox profiles during Online Coop games.

• Resolved an issue where there could be an indefinite load when four consoles are joining an Online Coop game.

• Fixed a rare softlock issue when taking the Central Shaft elevator.

• Fixed a crash that could occur in local Coop if the 2nd Player joins and leaves a lobby before selecting a profile.

• Fixed some instances where the game could crash for the Host when loading large areas of the game.

• Fixed a rare crash to the Xbox home screen during “Mutual Dependencies” (Mission 2) when in the ‘No Mans Land’ area.

• Fixed numerous disconnection related issues.

Save Progress (all platforms):

• Fixed an issue where some Xbox live online sessions were not closed properly and that could cause loss of progression.

Co-op (all platforms):

• Fixed some invite issues that could occur in Online Coop where some Players were unable to join.

Gameplay (all platforms):

• Fixed a bug where new augmentations were not being automatically equipped for the second Player.

Audio (all platforms):

• Fixed an issue experienced by some Xbox Players where cut-scene audio was of a low quality when reaching Pinnacle Tier during “Syntax Error” (Mission 8)

Translation (all platforms):

• Lots of translation fixes across all non-English languages.
  • Please note more fixes and improvements will come in future updates.

Misc. Fixes (all platforms):

• Minor collision fixes

Note on achievements (all platforms):

• We are investigating issues reported after the last Patch, with a view to having fixes in place for the next game update - thanks for your patience!
I'm still missing the last 2 achievements. Beat the game and got everything so it's probably a glitch.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The easiest fix is to stop carrying about achievements. If you enjoyed the game, it's all that matters.
I mean, I uninstalled the game and got 100% on everything. I'm not losing sleep over it, but it would be nice to have it maxed. I really only even go for that on my all time favorite games, and Ascent is one of those. It's a minor issue, but that's really all I'd expect them to address in a patch at this point. They already said DLC is not likely given the small team size.

Bartski

Gold Member
I mean, I uninstalled the game and got 100% on everything. I'm not losing sleep over it, but it would be nice to have it maxed. I really only even go for that on my all time favorite games, and Ascent is one of those. It's a minor issue, but that's really all I'd expect them to address in a patch at this point. They already said DLC is not likely given the small team size.
if you're on the Xbox they're both patched and pop automatically, for "comprehensive" you have to make a new character, switch and switch back to your main.

xrnzaaas

I started playing the game and I'm enjoying the combat, but some things make it not as good as I thought it would be. The isometric view combined with vertical locations (especially the hub) and tough to read world map makes it difficult to explore or even reach a certain shop. It's also annoying how all of the stats are represented by icons which are difficult to figure out what they mean and you have to always press the analogue stick to get the decriptions. I'll keep playing it thanks to Game Pass, but I don't think I'll be buying the PS5 version.

ZywyPL

Banned
I started playing the game and I'm enjoying the combat, but some things make it not as good as I thought it would be. The isometric view combined with vertical locations (especially the hub) and tough to read world map makes it difficult to explore or even reach a certain shop. It's also annoying how all of the stats are represented by icons which are difficult to figure out what they mean and you have to always press the analogue stick to get the decriptions. I'll keep playing it thanks to Game Pass, but I don't think I'll be buying the PS5 version.

The map isn't useful until you actually spend 'some' time with the game and know the locations by heart, that's true, a flat, 2D map would do a much better job IMO.

As for the stats, I recommend focusing on the reload time, dash cooldown and HP for the first couple of levels.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Chongqing pack for The Ascent is available now for free on Steam. The Chongqing pack includes the Interhabber shades, the distant goggles, the moon jacket, two new tiger-themed shirt skins, and two new weapons skins: Tiger and Tiger White. Watch the trailer for a look at what to expect.

Top Bottom