• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent |OT| As Above, So Below

Stuart360

It was so promising but just another gamepass rummage

Ill wait and buy it on a Steamsale. Kinda sad
Dude its at a 7.5 on PC. Not every game below a 9.0 = crap.
And this was probably 90% completed before they even did the Gamepass deal. Gamepass has no relation to this, or any game that comes to Gamepass, in terms of quality.

I'm sorry but i hope the mods start clamping down on this shit.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Played the first level got back to the hub....the hub is enough to sell this game, pretty awesome. The lighting is amazing.

Can't decide if I should let my 7 year old play with me. I would like to turn off the cursing.

Urban

And this was probably 90% completed before they even did the Gamepass deal. Gamepass has no relation to this, or any game that comes to Gamepass, in terms of quality.

man its on my wishlist on steam since its reveal and availability on the plattform. if i wasnt going on vacation i would probably still buy it. I read a couple of reviews and most of them have the same critic points.

MikeM

Crazy amounts of stuttering. RTX 2080. DX11/DX12 - like unplayable amounts of drops to single digit fps.

I heard its a driver issue with Nvidia cards. I wonder if anyone here playing on a Radeon card is having the same issues.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Crazy amounts of stuttering. RTX 2080. DX11/DX12 - like unplayable amounts of drops to single digit fps.

Thank god it just isn't on lower cards like the 5700 series for AMD. It's crazy - it will be super smooth and then crater for no reason. The barrel exploding in the first section essentially freezes me. Replayed that area because the checkpointing is terrible in the game.

. . .so as to not make everything negative a tip: You can dodge roll through the vents. Makes kiting a lot easier.

Isa

I really like it so far as well. Shame to see so many playing the score game rather than trying the game itself. Its not for everybody, but its pretty rad. Its got solid art design, fun combat, and is visually very pleasing. The small studio that made this deserves better. Shame to see the regular fanboys doing drive-by shitposting regardless of game or platform said item is released on.

mxbison

Played for 2 hours on PC Gamepass

Pro:
  • Incredibly detailed environment and atmosphere
  • Beatiful effects
  • Fun shooting
  • Cover system is a nice touch for the genre
  • Challenging difficulty
  • Non-Xbox Controller works fine (which is not a given for PC GamePass)
Con:
  • Loot is weird, you mostly pick up the same stuff you already have or just skins for clothing/weapons
  • Map and UI is kinda clunky
  • The alien language that Sidequest NPCs speak is super annoying, should've just left them silent
  • Ocassional stuttering, should get fixed though
  • No DLSS for GamePass version is ridiculous

Looking forward to playing more, seems like a really solid game so far.

Last edited:

Null Persp

Game is beautiful, very detailed cyberpunk world, and I am impressed by the audio/sound effects.
But It seems that Ray Tracing is broken in the Game Pass version, after enabling and disabling it there are no difference and FPS are the same, and with the DLSS missing maybe it's better to wait for an update.

Ammogeddon

Haven’t played much but I’m really enjoying it. I don’t usually gravitate towards these top down shooters but the setting and visuals got my attention. Surprised by the reviews but whatever, another example of not always going by what they say.

Reactions: Isa

kyoji

why do mods need to clamp down? there are people who unprovokingly mentioned gamepass on their own as a means to justify 'trying out' the game or did you not see those comments? if its fine to do that then its fine to be critical as well yes?

kinda weak on your behalf tbf

Last edited:

recursive

I changed my mind what a shit game its just gamepass fodder :lollipop_pouting:
hxbWsIy.png

Desless1

After playing this for a few hours, I can safely say that the Metro review can go fuck itself.

Yeah, the game is a blast. No idea what that Metro reviewer was playing.

Colors, atmosphere, sound and music... It's just awesome. Really impressed by the 12 man team that made the game.

Couple of things that should be improved.
- seems like no one can make proper maps in games anymore
- sometimes the assault rifle sound gets stuck, and I hear it all the time
- too sensitive aim on the controller, should be able to lower it.

b0uncyfr0

Its def a fun game, esp if you can get play it with friends. The world is nothing but immersive. Im getting Ruiner vibes all over again but with more polish and money. NG will definitely polish this into a gem over time.

Ogbert

After playing this for a few hours, I can safely say that the Metro review can go fuck itself.
It’s fucking irritating. I don’t mind when it’s a Nintendo, Sony or MS flagpole title, as you expect some dumb stuff and a low rating offsets all the silly 9s and 10s that get lavished on boring games.

But three hours in, this game is so much fun, so cool and the world is amazing. It’s been developed by a small studio of hugely talented, passionate individuals, only to get shit on by some cunt looking for attention.

Bartski

Gold Member
Loving it so far, minor gripes but overall I think I'm all set for the weekend. Do you guys also have the bug where all sidequest givers speak in... is that Swedish?

Roberts

It’s fucking irritating. I don’t mind when it’s a Nintendo, Sony or MS flagpole title, as you expect some dumb stuff and a low rating offsets all the silly 9s and 10s that get lavished on boring games.

But three hours in, this game is so much fun, so cool and the world is amazing. It’s been developed by a small studio of hugely talented, passionate individuals, only to get shit on by some cunt looking for attention.
Yep, exactly and I can’t even imagine how damaging that review really is for the developers and the sales. I hope word of mouth will help, because the game slaps hard.

Roberts

Loving it so far, minor gripes but overall I think I'm all set for the weekend. Do you guys also have the bug where all sidequest givers speak in... is that Swedish?
Yeah, it is Swedish. I’m pretty sure it was done on purpose. It reminded me of Edward James Olmos in Blade Runner - just talking in some foreign language as if it is the most casual thing ever.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've put a few hours in and the gameplay and environments are fucking great. It's disappointing I'm getting shader compilation stuttering on GP PC. It's like Cemu without the shader cache. Also, no DLSS or functional RT on that version, either. I could live without those if the shader issue wasn't there. Seems to play fine on console, even the base Xbox One only has an occasional hitch here and there and has smooth barrel explosions and everything. I'll probably just end up playing on Series S, which is fine, but they need to fix this stuff asap.

Loving the atmosphere and the gameplay, but I'll say that I understand where some complaints about difficulty is coming from. Died during a boss fight, and the way I was respawned I immediately got swarmed by what felt like the full amount of enemies of that tier. Not so much fun when it feels like the game is making things virtually impossible to proceed by making it massively difficult all of a sudden. I expect a patch to come out rather quickly.

That said, the game world is really second to none. I have never felt like a game world was this alive.

The visuals are crazy, wonder why they went with isometric instead of TPS, because the game is incredibly detailed even when zoomed in, it's a shame to see a lot of it go to waste.

I've put a few hours in and the gameplay and environments are fucking great. It's disappointing I'm getting shader compilation stuttering on GP PC. It's like Cemu without the shader cache. Also, no DLSS or functional RT on that version, either. I could live without those if the shader issue wasn't there. Seems to play fine on console, even the base Xbox One only has an occasional hitch here and there and has smooth barrel explosions and everything. I'll probably just end up playing on Series S, which is fine, but they need to fix this stuff asap.

Can confirm this. As great as the game looks theres no RT on GP version.

noise36

Had a quick 30 min go maxed out on GP PC and saw enough to come back later for a longer play.

Pretty game, plays and looks exactly how I imagined from the videos which is great.

Top Bottom