• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent |OT| As Above, So Below

GymWolf

It's pure clickbait to drive those advertising impressions. The same thing happened with Halo 4, some site no one had ever heard of gave it a score of 20 and took it from the 90s into the 80s. They got the most traffic they'd ever seen when scores of angry fans stormed in to MF them.
How much money you can do from a couple of thousands of people clicking your shitty review?! Is it worth to be a laughing stock in the internet just for that?!

GymWolf

Nvidia didn't released any driver for the game so i guess that dlss and rtx Already work out of the box right?!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess I misunderstood Gymwolf. There are random loot drops. But they are canned made items, not modifier filled Diablo drops.

The loot system is another area with wasted potential. All weapons in the game are hand-crafted, which would be fine, except you also see those same weapons randomly drop from enemies throughout the game. And I do mean the same, they’re functionally and aesthetically identical. You can upgrade the ones you use the most, at which point every time you get that same weapon as loot it’ll drop at that level. This made it so no loot drop was ever exciting, and it further betrays the game’s RPG aspirations. It also kills variety, because as upgrade materials become rarer, you’re naturally going to stick to what you’ve been using since the beginning.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's pure clickbait to drive those advertising impressions. The same thing happened with Halo 4, some site no one had ever heard of gave it a score of 20 and took it from the 90s into the 80s. They got the most traffic they'd ever seen when scores of angry fans stormed in to MF them.

77% of the time metro grades games lower than other sites. And frankly, I think this is why NONE of their reviews has the name of the person doing the review. This is all by design. I'd rather read reviews by legit game sites rather than online tabloids.

https://www.metacritic.com/publication/metro-gamecentral?filter=games

How much money you can do from a couple of thousands of people clicking your shitty review?! Is it worth to be a laughing stock in the internet just for that?!

Have you seen the number of ads that site has?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Stuart360

Could someone shout if a day one update is required for this game? I can't get into it before another 2 hours but I'm happy to kick off the update download at launch time if there is one.
Apparently there is supposed to be a day oine patch for PC, not sure about on Xbox.

mxbison

10 minutes

giphy.gif

pasterpl

It was definitely getting more attention because it's on GP so people felt the need to promote it and overhype it. You have to admit simulators and twin-stick shooters don't get that much hype usually. No BS here, just the reality.

I mean I saw someone in the flight sim thread calling it the Mario 64 of gaming or something 🤣
Funny enough flight sim looks like the highest rated console game this year to date (probably will be overtaken when forza horizon & halo releases)

Karak

I agree. That's why I'm shocked at one of the reviews. 3/10 it's too hard. I was curious as to what is the reasoning behind it but there isn't much explanation in that specific review.

Edit: read the 3/10 review, and have more clarity. I'll stick to my normal video reviewers i.e. ACG and Skillup and so far it is positive. The below snippet is the con from the 3/10. Contradicts Skillups AI opinion during his review.
In a way this sounds like a person who did not enjoy most of the game at all. And I can't say that's exactly wrong. I can say that I would be interested to see how they test AI or what their issues were
I guess I misunderstood Gymwolf. There are random loot drops. But they are canned made items, not modifier filled Diablo drops.

uhm...I am having difficulty understanding that. That sounds like the person didn't understand how selling and upgrading works including how the dup gun and item system works for making money. Its NOT about kitting everyone out with a WW2 tiger strips gun.They even discuss that in the game fiction.
Also AI is excellent. Or was for me. I also do tests for Ai in every game including notice curves, extent at which AI finds you and sees you, how they trace back to you, flanking or not, multigroup engagement tactics if it has them.

Last edited:
Finally pulled myself away from Flight Sim and…oh my, The Ascent is dynamite. I can see how some call into question a certain lack of polish, but given the small team that made this, is that all that surprising? Feels indie….because you know what, it IS indie. There is GREAT potential in this world that Neon Giant has created here. If I were the heads of Xbox I would give these devs all the means they need to take another shot at building something in the world of Veles. This has the makings of something very special.

This is some of the best artistically created mood I’ve seen in a game in a long, long time.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm getting small sturrering on the GamePass version; it is less on DX12 but still there along with some drastic frame drops. Not consistent but definitely noticeable. Lowly 5700XT and an 8th gen i5.

. . .thinking of just grabbing this on STEAM out of principle, but the idea that there is only crossplay within the XBOX ecosystem is horseshit.

SenaxxNL

Gamepass version seems to be missing DLSS? I can switch to DX11 and DX12 and enable raytracing but seem to be missing the DLSS option beneath that. The menu shows in the Digital Foundry menu when having DX11 selected.

Started with a M&K and was thinking meh the controls are kinda bad, but once picked up gamepad it's absolutely brilliant.

But theres definitely framedrops with RT and DX12. Should prob wait for nvidia driver, but the game play is so good and those visuals my G easily one of the best looking games.

Stuart360

Started with a M&K and was thinking meh the controls are kinda bad, but once picked up gamepad it's absolutely brilliant.

But theres definitely framedrops with RT and DX12. Should prob wait for nvidia driver, but the game play is so good and those visuals my G easily one of the best looking games.
Nice. I saw a couple of reviews say it was better on K/M, so good to know its good on a controller. Which it should be really with a twin stick shooter lol.

GymWolf

Fucking lol at the gamepass version not having the dlss, thank god i bought the steam version...

People in here bitching about the scores and i'm here waiting for my key from cdkeys, smh.

M.W.

Doesn't need DLSS. It auto selected ultra for me, I'm at 1440p with all RT settings on. Getting 90fps. I'm on a laptop.

Top Bottom