• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaverious

difflavors.jpg

you not black if you don't and all that

zeemumu

Officially finished Luke Cage

Why do people dislike the show?

I've heard the phrase "unapologetically black" thrown around.

I enjoyed the first half up until
Diamondback
showed up. That's when the show kinda dropped off for me because it started drifting away from this small time crime and going into a bigger picture that didn't really feel right. Also that scene where he starts giving a black history lesson to that kid outside of the place felt slightly forced. I'd put Jessica Jones slightly above it in terms of ranking so that would make it the worst of the Marvel Netflix shows so far, but that's not a bad thing. That's like saying you got the lowest score with an 91/100 because everyone else got higher A's.

zeemumu

I don't dislike it. I just don't think it was good.

Cottonmouth was the best part of the show by far.

He really was. Dude reminded me of the main guy from John Wick. He may be the boss but he knows that there are rules and you have to respect those rules. Also
one of his subordinates kills someone important to the protagonist, who rejects any attempts to make up for it opts to bring down the antagonist's empire in revenge.

LionPride

Banned
But hell, even the stuff with Diamondback was great, Shades still the MVP, Mariah was still lowdown, the show's dynamic didn't really change, just no more Marhershala

*tear*

LionPride

Banned
Folks need to not binge shows

It has been 4 months since I watched Luke Cage episode 9, then I got back to it and finished it and loved it

Can't binge every show. I can binge Crazy Ex-Girlfriend because it's short and a funny musical. Can't binge these hour+ long shows

Unless I'm watching Mad Men or Lost with my mom, then we get through 2 seasons in 1 day.

D i Z

It has been 4 months since I watched Luke Cage episode 9, then I got back to it and finished it and loved it

Can't binge every show. I can binge Crazy Ex-Girlfriend because it's short and a funny musical. Can't binge these hour+ long shows

Unless I'm watching Mad Men or Lost with my mom, then we get through 2 seasons in 1 day.

Absolutely agree about the binge watching.
People rush to be in on the conversation, but what they really offer is their opinion on how they got fatigued. Also, some shows should be taken at different speeds. Like Lost is one that can be binged, and the characters make sense because they react to the immediate and don't have the luxury of a water cooler Monday morning to chop it up and get back with a "what I really would have done is this" kind of response.

Holy shit, I just watched Logan.
Holy.
Shit.

Cottonmouth with random bazooka
my favourite moment of the Netflix shows
Wasn't expecting it like that
image.php

I didn't notice it until now, but Cardi B got hella tongue.

Absolutely agree about the binge watching.
People rush to be in on the conversation, but what they really offer is their opinion on how they got fatigued. Also, some shows should be taken at different speeds. Like Lost is one that can be binged, and the characters make sense because they react to the immediate and don't have the luxury of a water cooler Monday morning to chop it up and get back with a "what I really would have done is this" kind of response.

I sort of wish I had slowed down when I was watching Celia. 85 episodes over the course of two months was a long ass time. Around episode 53 I started to feel the weight. I should've stopped before the time skip and then waited like a month to finish the rest., but never know when Netflix will just drop a show on you.

Crocodile

Haha, got lil jandros all over.

Warmed my heart seeing this from an old friend from school. He's Indian. Actually, two of the most woke friends i have on FB are Indian.

This needs to be like added to the Constitution or something. I'm stunned so many people still don't get this

They're still idiots, whether they liked it or not.

Did RLM do something stupid recently. I've only watched the occasional video from them so if there is some weird narrative, I don't know about it.

Samuel L Jackson likes anime and
hentai
I knew Bish was onboard the anime

Honestly, given what Jackson has said in the past and the stuff he has worked on, this should surprise nobody :p

Slayven

Fuck lost, if that show was on the air today, it would be roasted

Yeah, I will never understand the extreme hate Luke Cage garners.

I mean, I know it's the second half, but I honestly believe people don't get why
Diamondback
shows up, what his place is in the story.

It's like the tone shift wasn't welcome, but like, how else do you pose a real challenge for the guy? (though yeah, the
Judas Bullet/Cop
subplots needed better pacing.

Kreed

My only complaint about Luke Cage is IMO Diamondback should have been a henchman for Cottonmouth. Otherwise I've yet to see a good argument on why Luke Cage is bad vs the other Marvel Netflix shows.

shingi70

Banned
Seems like most of the hate that Luke. Age and Jessica Jones gets from Gaf is most of the audience can't or doesn't want to relate. You can tell because both the those series got rave reviews and broke records for Netflix, but are less about superheroes moreso than its characters. In comparasion Daredevil is pretty simple street level story that just barley grazes on some of what Cage and Jones attempted to tackle.

Also even though I liked it season 2 hand stuff was Arrow tier, which is honestly what I expected by the end of it.

Beefy

Seems like most of the hate that Luke. Age and Jessica Jones gets from Gaf is most of the audience can't or doesn't want to relate. You can tell because both the those series got rave reviews and broke records for Netflix, but are less about superheroes moreso than its characters. In comparasion Daredevil is pretty simple street level story that just barley grazes on some of what Cage and Jones attempted to tackle.

Also even though I liked it season 2 hand stuff was Arrow tier, which is honestly what I expected by the end of it.

I didn't like Luke. The dude that plays him is way too wooden and there are way too many tunes in it. Some one did a count and there are like 10 different tunes at least a episode.

But then I didn't like JJ either. I only liked DareDevil season 2 because of Punisher. The main problem for me is the acting though.

That moment when you gotta get to work but your one mode of transport is still out of commission, you don't have enough money to take out the atm or catch the bus to and from work. Then you make that realization that:

im-broke.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
Iron Fist reviews have started to come in and they are better than I expected: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1350780

Also, I agree that gaf hate for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage mostly appear to derive from a position of "I can't relate".

Those are the two best Netflix/marvel shows IMO and both are helped by being shows about something on top of being enjoyable shows already.

And another thing, the Daredevil "hand" bullshit is easily the worst thing they've put out in any series (so far 😉)

Nudull

Banned
"I want to like Luke Cage, but there's just way too many shoehorned politics in this silly superhero show. Why yes, Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie, why'd you ask?

"I want to like Luke Cage, but there's just way too many shoehorned politics in this silly superhero show. Why yes, Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie, why'd you ask?

Irony, most of GAF is lost on it. I'm starting to realize that the elevator doesn't reach the top for some gaffers.

LotusHD

Banned
Them Iron Fist previews have me so upset.... I guess I can't say I'm surprised based off of the trailers, but damn.

AoS > all
Iron Fist reviews have started to come in and they are better than I expected: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1350780

Also, I agree that gaf hate for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage mostly appear to derive from a position of "I can't relate".

Those are the two best Netflix/marvel shows IMO and both are helped by being shows about something on top of being enjoyable shows already.

And another thing, the Daredevil "hand" bullshit is easily the worst thing they've put out in any series (so far 😉)

I will never understand the utter hatred people seem to have for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage around here. JJ was amazing, even with its pacing issues. Luke Cage was also amazing for its first half, but yea, anyone that wants to trash the 2nd half, I'm still not going to stop them. But then they claim to hate the entire thing and I'm like "Why tho"

Zaverious

I liked Luke Cage but I didn't care for the lead's acting. I didn't care for the corny history lessons Luke was on about.
Diamondback shooting Luke into the garbage truck and letting him get away
was dumb and a bad start for the character and a middling second half. I was mixed on Misty Knight and the actions of the rest of the cops. Still a good show that I'll keep watching. Iron Fist looking a little meh right now but I hope that's not the final verdict when I watch it.

On LOST though, it was some dumb bullshit that was really fun to binge through with seasons 4 and 5 being my favorite. Shame how a lot of the actors barely got in better roles after this show especially Locke and Sawyer. The characters carried this shit man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom