• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
Somebody pointed out Clark never punched anybody on Smallville, now i only see him pushing people

don't do this to me...

THVm1kG.gif

Zaverious

Arroe season 5 has been good to great so far. Not a bad episode yet. Flash has been going downhill for me since halfway of season 2 for me but it's still fun every now and then in spite of Barry making the dumbest decisions.

LionPride

Banned
Remember when he fought those thugs who go powers from chewing gum?

Not to confuse the thugs that go powers from kryptonite tattoos

Little before your time ain;t it?
Started in 2001, first season was on in syndication when I was 4, got obsessed, ended up catching up to season 6 and watched it since. Tom Welling grew as an actor, but that show was bad

Gattsu25

Banned
I watched every episode of Smallville, own every season...I fucking hate that show
Oh yeah, I don't look back to it that fondly either but I still watched every episode of that shit every single week.

That's something that I can't knock. At the time, I loved that damned show.

Also, assuming y'all also picked up on Kristin Kreuk's massive cold sore in IIRC the episode where she kisses Clark for the first time.

LionPride

Banned
Oh yeah, I don't look back to it that fondly either but I still watched every episode of that shit every single week.

Also, assuming y'all also picked up on Kristin Kreuk's massive cold sore in IIRC the episode where she kisses Clark for the first time.
The last time that name was spoken here...horrors were brought unto the world

Slayven

You joking.
Started in 2001, first season was on in syndication when I was 4, got obsessed, ended up catching up to season 6 and watched it since. Tom Welling grew as an actor, but that show was bad

Tom Welling should have jumped ship from that show. I think he could have been big in Hollywood. And when they went to Metroplis that is when shit got really bad

LionPride

Banned
You joking.

Tom Welling should have jumped ship from that show. I think he could have been big in Hollywood. And when they went to Metroplis that is when shit got really bad
The worst season was season 7, all I remember is Lana choosing Bizarro but then double crossing him because he was such a dick. Also a storyline involving Lex's clone brother.

Season 8 was interesting, I'm a Sam Witwer stan so I enjoyed his Davis Bloom/Doomsday, but overall it was trash

Season 9 was good, Callum Blue as Zod was A1. Tess evolved.

Season 10 was good, everyone came into their own and it was a good final season.

Welling could not act until like Season 8, did not want him becoming generic hunky white male #2405. Plus he likes directing more

Slayven

The worst season was season 7, all I remember is Lana choosing Bizarro but then double crossing him because he was such a dick. Also a storyline involving Lex's clone brother.

Season 8 was interesting, I'm a Sam Witwer stan so I enjoyed his Davis Bloom/Doomsday, but overall it was trash

Season 9 was good, Callum Blue as Zod was A1. Tess evolved.

Season 10 was good, everyone came into their own and it was a good final season.

Welling could not act until like Season 8, did not want him becoming generic hunky white male #2405. Plus he likes directing more

Lois was soo annoying

Malyse

I want to write a history book as per Devos and Carson, where black people happily immigrated to America and decided to make our own universities instead of settling for the white ones. Other highlights would be how MLK wouldn't stand for protests and how his death solved racism forever.

zeemumu

Being self-aware of how hard your parents fucked you up is horrifying. Gotta undo all of this self-deprecation and guilt tripping brought on by being told that I was possessed by the devil whenever I got mad at my mom.

Nudull

Banned
Well hey guys, it was worth waiting ten years, ten seasons and 218 hours worth of your life to see Tom Welling rip up part of his shirt as the Superman theme play over the credits, right?

...right? :D

D i Z

Mornin' BCT.

Could never get into Arrow because i could never wrap my head around Murder Ollie

Papa Joe is the GAWD

Haven't watched Legends

Legends got a little better while Super Girl took their spot. I still can't stand Arrow, but I record them for when I just need to have a stretch of something new on in the background.

Smallville was never for me.

Kreed

Don't know where else to put this.

Why Mixed-Race Americans Will Not Save The Country

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...xed-race-americans-will-not-save-the-country?

Reading the original article this piece is responding to...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/04/opinion/sunday/what-biracial-people-know.html?_r=1

In reality, cities and countries that are more diverse are more prosperous than homogeneous ones, and that often means higher wages for native-born citizens. Yet the perception that out-groups gain at in-groups’ expense persists. And that view seems to be reflexive. Merely reminding whites that the Census Bureau has said the United States will be a “majority minority” country by 2042, as one Northwestern University experiment showed, increased their anti-minority bias and their preference for being around other whites. In another experiment, the reminder made whites more politically conservative as well.

Some corners of the world seem to naturally foster this mellower view of race — particularly Hawaii, Mr. Obama’s home state. Dr. Pauker has found that by age 7, children in Massachusetts begin to stereotype about racial out-groups, whereas children in Hawaii do not. She’s not sure why, but she suspects that the state’s unique racial makeup is important. Whites are a minority in Hawaii, and the state has the largest share of multiracial people in the country, at almost a quarter of its population.

Constant exposure to people who see race as a fluid concept — who define themselves as Asian, Hawaiian, black or white interchangeably — makes rigid thinking about race harder to maintain, she speculates. And that flexibility rubs off. In a forthcoming study, Dr. Pauker finds that white college students who move from the mainland to Hawaii begin to think differently about race. Faced daily with evidence of a complex reality, their ideas about who’s in and who’s out, and what belonging to any group really means, relax.

Clearly, people can cling to racist views even when exposed to mountains of evidence contradicting those views. But an optimistic interpretation of Dr. Pauker’s research is that when a society’s racial makeup moves beyond a certain threshold — when whites stop being the majority, for example, and a large percentage of the population is mixed — racial stereotyping becomes harder to do.

and then reading the response:

"What Biracial People Know," a recent op-ed in The New York Times, argues that the growing multiracial population may act as a "vaccine" to the bigotry that buoyed Trump's campaign, granting America "immunity" to the longstanding politics of exclusion shaped by racism.

But this hope that a mixed-race future will result in a paradise of interracial and ethnically-ambiguous babies is misleading. It presents racism as passive — a vestigial reflex that will fade with the presence of interracial offspring, rather than as an active system that can change with time. A 2015 study by Pew Research Center concluded that mixed-race Americans describe experiences of discrimination in the form of slurs, poor customer service, and police encounters. These figures were highest among people of black-white and black-Native American descent.

...it feels like the author of the NPR article either just read a couple of excerpts on Twitter or completely missed the point (not disagreeing with the NPR article, but they are talking about different things).

shingi70

Banned
Could never get into Arrow because i could never wrap my head around Murder Ollie

Papa Joe is the GAWD

Haven't watched Legends

I've always been a green arrow fan, and yeah the killing is garbage but they tone it down and makes it a once and while thing these days.

Legends season 2 is sliver age tier fuckery on a grand scale and is just so enjoyable.

The MCU shows like shield are far better quality wise, but the DC shows make me feel like I'm watching the late silver/Bronze age come to life.

Still need to watch legion.

zeemumu

Papa Joe is the GAWD

Haven't watched Legends

Murder Ollie got toned down when he realized that he's not considered a public menace because of the vigilante stuff as much as leaving a trail of bodies in his wake.

Venom vs Alex Mercer would've been cooler

Has anyone had experience with one of those sweepstakes game places? Someone who works at one told me they were hiring and can pay me under the table, but when I told moms about it she said to avoid it because I could end up in jail.

Has anyone had experience with one of those sweepstakes game places? Someone who works at one told me they were hiring and can pay me under the table, but when I told moms about it she said to avoid it because I could end up in jail.

Experience like working? No, but I've been in a sweepstakes parlor, most I knew where shut down though. Worst case scenario with unreported income is, if its a lot of money you could go to jail and face high fines, but that happens to people who purchase assets like a car.

Best case, which is still worst case is you'll be audited and expect to pay all taxes owed with possible interest, that is, if you were to be caught and/or someone reported your employer to the Feds.

Not my place to tell anyone here what to do, but I would avoid it.

Last physics exam.

You got this.

RedSwirl

Reading the original article this piece is responding to...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/04/opinion/sunday/what-biracial-people-know.html?_r=1

and then reading the response:

...it feels like the author of the NPR article either just read a couple of excerpts on Twitter or completely missed the point (not disagreeing with the NPR article, but they are talking about different things).
They're wrong.

Well, responding to that was easy.

W/hole episode reminds me (again) of my brother's neighborhood and wondering how his biracial kids are going to grow up thinking about race. I see multiple mixed-race couples with biracial kids every time I visit which just makes me curious about seeing kids come up in that kind of environment.

W/hole episode reminds me (again) of my brother's neighborhood and wondering how his biracial kids are going to grow up thinking about race. I see multiple mixed-race couples with biracial kids every time I visit which just makes me curious about seeing kids come up in that kind of environment.

As a bi-ethnic person, I basically feel like I belong nowhere, but I love who I am in spite of that.

As someone who has multiple bi-racial kids in his family, my observation is that they feel like they're different than everybody/don't belong with either race or belong with both depending on the day, and they get a ton of shit from both sides of the aisle. They get protected from a lot, but when they get shit on they don't understand why, because they're kids and because the people raising them are the white side who will never have sufficient experience to explain shit to them.

I often wonder what they'll think too. I can see at least one of them growing up to be nuBlack or wishing she was white, and the other growing up wishing she had more black influence in her life. I dunno. It makes me sad that they can't find acceptance. I hope they grow up loving who they are.

cdyhybrid

I'm biracial. Grew up in Hawaii though where that's a widespread thing, so it's a bit different.

I feel like I'm both and neither of my ethnic sides. It has illustrated the ridiculousness of race as a social construct for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom