• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Case of The Freezing PC

Soodanim

you should use hwinfo monitoring firstly.
hwmonitor sucks.

looks like overclocking issue, 4.7ghz is kinda high without proper tweaking.
I agree about 4.7 being high. I have the same CPU and mobo and I stopped a 4.3 because I wasn't interested in pushing it and I think I had some sort of crash at 4.4. I know you can go higher, but 4.7 is up there.

rofif

Banned
No its not. Windows has come far enough that its capable of keeping itself relatively clean enough to not affect performance, more so if its installed on an SSD as no longer needing to defrag or atleast anywhere as often.

This whole jump straight to reinstalling windows needs to stop.

Its 9.5/10 completely unnecessary not to mention lazy. This is why people end up asking on a message board as they never bothered to figure anything out and learn something new.

A hardware fault isnt going to be fixed by a fresh windows install. No point in wasting time and reinstalling windows + updates + VCredist/Dx and everything else, before youve ruled out hardware faults. More ofthen than not, youre going to end up with compatibility problems after a fresh install as you now dont have the all the runtime/VCredist/DX distributes installed as only the latest one are downloaded through Windows update meaning older games and programs will often throw up variations of missing dlls ( MSVCP100.dll for example is related to VC2012)
Reinstalling windows takes 10 minutes. There is no reason not to do it. It even activates itself

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Try to get another power supply and try for a few days. I got this same problem and it was this

Reinstalling windows takes 10 minutes. There is no reason not to do it. It even activates itself

Your not solving the problem. Thats the reason to not do it.

If it was an OS issue, it wouldnt be locking up, it simply wouldn't boot to the desktop in the first place.

Reinstalling first, more often then not creates more problems than it solves. Doesnt help when youve wiped the pc and lost error/crash and event viewer logs in the process.

Drop your overclock down from 4.7 to .3 as SixForMike said. The real world performance diff between 4.3 and 4.7 is going to be un-noticeable as well as a waste of power.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Just thinking, when did you last do a nvidia driver update and windows update?

Thinking about it, my issues (exact same thing) started two days ago right after I did a windows update... but also the latest driver.

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence for me.

Last edited:
I have a 4790k, some early release motherboards that supported the Devil's Canyon series of CPUs over-volted the CPU considerably (1.45v instead of 1.1-1.2v IIRC). A BIOS update fixed the problem but left as is this would age the CPU rather quickly.

From past experience, hard to troubleshoot factors that would crash a PC (BSOD) are bad capacitors (unlikely now) or a bad hard drive cable.

After ruling these out I would start to swap out components and see if the failures disappear. Unfortunately I know people don't have the time or hardware to do these steps. Possibly using one RAM stick at a time for a while could tell you if the problem is a bad stick. It is unlikely you have multiple bad sticks in which case you can focus on the system board, CPU, and GPU if the failures continue.

Probably best to start with a fresh install of the OS while at stock settings and install only stable drivers.

edit: not a lot, just some motherboards...and probably not yours.

Last edited:
I agree about 4.7 being high. I have the same CPU and mobo and I stopped a 4.3 because I wasn't interested in pushing it and I think I had some sort of crash at 4.4. I know you can go higher, but 4.7 is up there.
Unless you're really unlucky 4.4GHz should be just fine. The 4790K turbos up to that on its own under single core loads by default, so you have to get really, really, really unlucky to get a die that won't do that all core, even without any voltage bump. I've had mine running at 4.6GHz 1.23v for over 3 years now. Granted...it's just one die and YMMV.

Myths

I would think it’s GPU-related, likely overclocking the memory or core to unstable clock speeds.

A.Romero

Alright so today I've been playing FFXIV while also playing youtube videos. So far so good.

Maybe it was getting too hot for the OC? I know it's early to be saying case closed but so far I like the feeling I'm getting

Yes, most likely your OC was the cause. Either because it was getting too hot or it was just unstable. If you really need the power, I'd recommend to read/watch a few OC tutorials and follow the instructions. By going step by step you will be able to identify how high you can go without compromising stability and making sure all the configurations are done correctly for your hardware mix.

Alright so today I've been playing FFXIV while also playing youtube videos. So far so good.

Maybe it was getting too hot for the OC? I know it's early to be saying case closed but so far I like the feeling I'm getting
If the temps were fine, it will most likely be an over volt issue. Either the psu couldnt keep up or it made the cpu overclock unstable.

If your mother board has one of those auto over clock options (cant remember what it was called in the Maximus Extreme 4 bios) its often enough to use that.

Last edited:
I was thinking it was more likely to be under voltage rather than over voltage? The CPU voltage is at 1.0V and 0.8V in two of the pictures - I know it's not under load, but still, might not be set quite high enough for when the chip is doing work. I know my i7 920 and Xeon X5670 needed small bumps in voltage over the years to maintain stability, both had a 50% overclock from stock clocks, mind you.

Is Load Line Calibration/Vdroop turned on in the BIOS settings?

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Okay guys, update. For two days in a row now, it's been fine. No freezing. Tonight I was playing FFXIV while watching youtube and in my college blackboard session, so there was ample load, and it seemed fine.

Is it possible that the rig is just too old for OC'ing anymore? I've had this since 2015 and it was overclocked pretty much from the beginning.

Okay guys, update. For two days in a row now, it's been fine. No freezing. Tonight I was playing FFXIV while watching youtube and in my college blackboard session, so there was ample load, and it seemed fine.

Is it possible that the rig is just too old for OC'ing anymore? I've had this since 2015 and it was overclocked pretty much from the beginning.
Electro-migration occurs over time, leading to CPUs that were previously stable at a given clock / voltage combination becoming unstable...after long enough they even become unstable at stock...but it generally takes a long ass time for that to happen. The VRMs on the board also deteriorate with load, faster if they're getting hot...eventually leading to unstable VCore which can result in...instability. Further the PSU degrades over time, eventually resulting in ripple, which the VRMs have to work harder to filter out, leading to them deteriorating.

In short...yes. However it doesn't mean all is lost in terms of overclocking. You might just have to dial back a bit from where you previously were, lowering the core clock or raising the voltage a hair. Really depends on what the source of the instability was.

Velius

Banned
Electro-migration occurs over time, leading to CPUs that were previously stable at a given clock / voltage combination becoming unstable...after long enough they even become unstable at stock...but it generally takes a long ass time for that to happen. The VRMs on the board also deteriorate with load, faster if they're getting hot...eventually leading to unstable VCore which can result in...instability. Further the PSU degrades over time, eventually resulting in ripple, which the VRMs have to work harder to filter out, leading to them deteriorating.

In short...yes. However it doesn't mean all is lost in terms of overclocking. You might just have to dial back a bit from where you previously were, lowering the core clock or raising the voltage a hair. Really depends on what the source of the instability was.
You guys are the fucking best seriously. All of you. Thank you so much for your help.

My plan is to just keep it at stock until later this year. In another thread I've been advised to wait for the next generation of cards or CPU's to come out. New MoBo, new CPU and card, new RAM of course but if needed a new PSU too.

You guys are the fucking best seriously. All of you. Thank you so much for your help.

My plan is to just keep it at stock until later this year. In another thread I've been advised to wait for the next generation of cards or CPU's to come out. New MoBo, new CPU and card, new RAM of course but if needed a new PSU too.

With overclocking it could be as simple as an aging PSU, motherboard wear and tear or the cpu itself.

Glad you got it sorted.

Yeah wait till the end of the year, look at what you really want to play and the hardware required and how the new consoles/multiplatform games turn out.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Guys, update. My PC hasn't frozen even once since getting rid of the overclock. I'm very pleased. Thing is that games like Doom Eternal run just as well as they did before. The only difference I've seen is that Witcher 3 runs a little slower in towns like Novigrad. Generally it still runs at 60 fps.

I guess I can consider this case closed, but I just wanted to give one last update and a big thank you to everyone, even those who were just brainstorming or gave different suggestions. It means a lot.

Top Bottom