• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The console War is over"

Quasicat

It’s not truly over for me until I can play 3rd party online games with my friends regardless of platform automatically. I love some of the crossplay titles that are out there, but I really want to play GTA Online or Red Dead Online with my friends no matter what they play on.

Dr Bass

Did anyone actually read the tweet he's retweeting?. The war is 'over' because all 3 are doing their own thing with their own goals.
Damn this forum at the moment, the comnsole war certainly isnt over on here unfortunately.

Of course that's the current narrative. But they also admit Game Pass doesn't make them money. So the consoles don't make money. Game Pass doesn't make money. Sounds like a great business. They are trying to say anything they can that will make them look good, and it changes literally hour by hour it seems. They are simply getting their asses kicked.

Of course that's the current narrative. But they also admit Game Pass doesn't make them money. So the consoles don't make money. Game Pass doesn't make money. Sounds like a great business. They are trying to say anything they can that will make them look good, and it changes literally hour by hour it seems. They are simply getting their asses kicked.

Xbox Live and game royalties are making solid clean money. The question is, how much is the other stuff eating into Xbox Live...and if it shrinks next-gen because consumers flee to the competition they're in serious trouble. They need to sell the box to sell Xbox Live. All the other stuff is nonsense.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Imagine participating in a war over 2 plastic boxes designed to be sold for profit.

Console wars are for boys.
Grown up are happy with their console(s) and play games where they are.
I love IPs in the 3 brands so I play in the 3 brands.
Maybe I am lucky to be able to have every console maybe it’s a state of mind.

Same thing goes for almost any entertainment devices and art.

You shouldn’t need others approval or opinion to know what you love.

Take your brownie points home but we all are affected by what business model prevails for the next decade.

Venom Snake

He also said Sony wasn't his competition anymore but Google and Amazon. And then jabbed at Playstation saying he wanted the games making the noise and not the console. And then he said he felt pretty good after watching PS5's event. It's very hard to keep up with the goal post moving.

6S84jSH.jpg

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
Phil and Co. must have recently done the rounds to all the acquisitions the made in 2018–Compulsion gaming, Obsidian, Playground, Ninja Theory, and InXile, and thought, “Well, seems like now is a good time to throw in the hat”

Getting acquired by Microsoft is like being a red head and getting adopted by Hitler. Way to show confidence in your new studios Microsoft!

We'll see about that. Something tells me Major Nelson and Greenturd won't be able to keep their mouths shut if they do really well in the holidays.
It's fine to be proud of your accomplishments but it's not so good when you do it to stoke console wars as greenturd has done so in the past.
Spencer lambasted console warriors and the toxic environment around it yet his own staff contribute to this very behaviour.

tommycronin

The war will never be over as long as video game execs feel the need to keep using twitter. They well know fanboys of either console use their words on their as scripture.

teezzy

Banned
Sony are kinda like the "old guard" of the traditional console in a sense. I've been so busy giving Phil my daily rim job that I never took the time to notice how cool that is. Nintendo gave up years ago.

*continues eating Papa Phil's butt*

Freeman

Banned
No one:
MS: "the console war is over"
Nintendo:
Sony:

also MS/Phil: "Monster. Eats monsters for breakfast. Worlds most powerful console. 12TF. There PS4 games will run better on Xbox. I feel confident after what I saw from Sony. So much value and diversity. Greatest line up of games in the history of Xbox. Exclusives are anti-consumer except when we do it. "

Last edited:

J____Av

You guys realize that he's just retweeting this article that basically says that the war is over because each company is going for different things, right?
Everyone understood that bud. People just think its funny because Phil has been taking jabs at PS for months and would be proclaiming victory if he had any chance of selling PS numbers. Its easy to say PS is not your competition when you have no chance in hell of coming close in sales

MrFunSocks

Banned
The console war only ends when all the consoles are cheap enough for most gamers to own all of them.

MS and Sony are not moving in the right direction for that.
Consoles have been cheap enough for most gamers to own all of them for a long time already. They're not expensive, especially not 2 years after release.

Did anyone actually read the tweet he's retweeting?. The war is 'over' because all 3 are doing their own thing with their own goals.
Damn this forum at the moment, the comnsole war certainly isnt over on here unfortunately.

I only signed up here recently because I thought that most of the idiots migrated over to ResetERA. I was very wrong, this place is still just as bad on the gaming side as ever. I've never seen so many xbox threads started by sony fanboys just to shit on literally every single thing related to xbox in any way. At this stage I don't know what's worse, the fanboy wars (although it's not really a war when it's so one sided) here or the SJW "every game is political and devs must be held accountable" mentality over there.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Gold and Ultimate make them shitloads of money, as does their 30% cut from every single digital game sold, which accounts for more than 50% of all game sales these days.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Btw , is the first time Sony go alone to the next gen.

Microsoft with the cross system support and Nintendo way behind. Sony finally dominated
Just because there aren't first party exclusives on day one doesn't mean microsoft aren't "going to the next gen". As always 95% of all games on each console will be third party and multiplatform.

sorry about the triple post :(

Last edited:
It’s not truly over for me until I can play 3rd party online games with my friends regardless of platform automatically. I love some of the crossplay titles that are out there, but I really want to play GTA Online or Red Dead Online with my friends no matter what they play on.
What about tablet and phone players?

Quasicat

What about tablet and phone players?
Sure, that would be good too. I imagine that this is what xCloud will eventually do...as long as you own the game, you can play it on your phone or tablet regardless of whether it’s on Game Pass or not. Kind of like how Stadia does it, but keeping it in the Xbox ecosystem since many people have probably already bought it there already.

Top Bottom