• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The director of Fallout New Vegas would be open to working on the series again

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During an interview with Kinda Funny Games, Obsidian’s design director was asked about his experience making 2010’s Fallout spin-off New Vegas and whether he might one day return to the series.

He described New Vegas as “a crazy development because it was only 18 months” but one that was “super fulfilling and super fantastic”.

“I love Fallout, I love the setting, I could see myself working in it again, but you know, we’ll see where the future takes me.”

Sawyer was also asked what his dream setting for a new series entry might be.

“I’m not really sure,” he responded. “I haven’t thought about it in quite a while because again, it kind of came into my life and then floated away. In the past, I’ve said you know people have talked about New Orleans. I do think California or the Midwest would also be very interesting.

“I’m a big believer in finding things that, obviously I have to be passionate about it as a director, but also that the team is really excited about, and also that works within the larger idea of the property.”

Sawyer went on to contrast directing games based on major IPs with the likes of Pentiment, the 16th-century narrative adventure released this week, which was developed by a small team at Obsidian.

“Working on something like Pentiment, which is just its own thing in the middle of nowhere, I can kind of make decisions more or less however I want, but when it’s part of a larger IP and franchise it has to kind of work within a larger vision of ‘what is Fallout?’ and I don’t get to decide everything about that, it’s not my thing,” he said.

“So yeah, I think there’s a lot of cool places in the US. A lot of people have also talked about what about Fallout in other parts of the world, I think those are interesting as well. I don’t know, I think there’s lots of cool opportunities. It really depends on what the moment is and what the team looks like.”

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Who cares about Josh SOYer, we need Chris Avellone

20169098758_fb887cb473_b.jpg

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It would be awesome for Obsidian to make another Fallout game, the more Fallout I can play the better and maybe sooner than we can get one from Bethesda. It still wouldn't be very soon since Obsidian is already working on 2 AAA WRPGs with Avowed and Outer Worlds 2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Now that Pentiment is out, his schedule is probably free to work on a prospective New Vegas 2. Both companies required to sign off on that are under the same umbrella now.

Mozzarella

I think what worked well for Fallout New Vegas was a combination of things.

First of all, the developer team of Black Isle, former mates worked on the game, including names like Josh Sawyer and Chris Avallone and many others.
Also the Bethesda engine and mechanics that innovated with Fallout 3, pushed New Vegas to new heights with its transition to 3D open world RPG compared to Isometric turn based one.

These factors made New Vegas what it is.

However now with current Obsidian i have very little faith in them.
Current Obsidian lost many of its developers, Chris is also gone and Josh based on rumors is not on good terms with most of the names there.

Obsidian recently dished out The Outer Worlds, a painfully mediocre boring RPG, it had bland story, bland world, uninteresting characters and gameplay that felt outdated before it was even released!
Also visually the game looked creatively bankrupt from both character and environmental design.

I know some people liked it but i thought it was bad.

a new FNV game is most likely going to flop imo, but im open to see what they can do. Very skeptical.

Why no just make new IP? or collaborate with Bethesda on Fallout 5.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I think what worked well for Fallout New Vegas was a combination of things.

First of all, the developer team of Black Isle, former mates worked on the game, including names like Josh Sawyer and Chris Avallone and many others.
Also the Bethesda engine and mechanics that innovated with Fallout 3, pushed New Vegas to new heights with its transition to 3D open world RPG compared to Isometric turn based one.

These factors made New Vegas what it is.

However now with current Obsidian i have very little faith in them.
Current Obsidian lost many of its developers, Chris is also gone and Josh based on rumors is not on good terms with most of the names there.

Obsidian recently dished out The Outer Worlds, a painfully mediocre boring RPG, it had bland story, bland world, uninteresting characters and gameplay that felt outdated before it was even released!
Also visually the game looked creatively bankrupt from both character and environmental design.

I know some people liked it but i thought it was bad.

a new FNV game is most likely going to flop imo, but im open to see what they can do. Very skeptical.

Why no just make new IP? or collaborate with Bethesda on Fallout 5.
Cute waifu

797315.jpg

Chukhopops

I don’t want a NV sequel, I think some games are perfect on their own and it’s not like you could expand on the NV storylines. NV doesn’t even need a remaster since mods can fix the small issues the game had.

Also Cass = best waifu.

Ol'Scratch

I do not really get stories like this and how they are always put up on social media as some kind of big news.
WOuld be cool
Isn't it a no brainer that someone would want to work again on an established big name series where there would be pretty safe money over doing what they are doing?
It reminds me of posts where it is like "This person would love to be in a marvel movie!" Or when someone played a character and then went over doing one shot guest appearances on CSI says "yeah I think I would love to play that character again!"

Kacho

I don’t want a NV sequel, I think some games are perfect on their own and it’s not like you could expand on the NV storylines. NV doesn’t even need a remaster since mods can fix the small issues the game had.

Also Cass = best waifu.
I think people just want another Obsidian Fallout, not necessarily a New Vegas 2. They just call it New Vegas 2 because it’s easy to understand what they’re talking about.

Like Sawyer said in the interview, it would be cool to explore California or New Orleans.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I do not really get stories like this and how they are always put up on social media as some kind of big news.
WOuld be cool
Isn't it a no brainer that someone would want to work again on an established big name series where there would be pretty safe money over doing what they are doing?
It reminds me of posts where it is like "This person would love to be in a marvel movie!" Or when someone played a character and then went over doing one shot guest appearances on CSI says "yeah I think I would love to play that character again!"

Well this is a little bit different from your examples because they now have the same parent company and the IP is probability available to them

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Obsidian game directors Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky agree that Fallout New Vegas Remastered would be "awesome", and are still interested in their hugely popular 2011 RPG. This comes as Obsidian unveils The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition, indicating that it would love to give New Vegas the same next-gen treatment.

Speaking to TheGamer, Cain says that he'd love to see a "graphical remaster" of New Vegas - something that fellow game director Boyarsky wholeheartedly agrees with. This came in response to The Outer Worlds production director Eric DeMilt explaining that graphics are never Obisidan's priority, but still sees potential in giving New Vegas a current-gen facelift.

Speaking with us in the run-up to the reveal of The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition, DeMilt explains why he feels that New Vegas has retained such a strong following.

"When it came out, it had stability issues," says DeMilt. "It's overcome those and now people are able to go back to that game, because those characters and the stories are just rich, and people want to be in there."

But even with the technical aspects of the game not being as much of a priority for Obsidian, Tim Cain would still like to see a new and improved New Vegas.

"Not that it's up to me, but wouldn't a graphical remaster of Fallout New Vegas be awesome?" says Cain. Boyarsky is quick to agree: "It would be awesome".

Top Bottom